“You disgust me.” But blessings to you, of course.

Blog-Buddies, an interesting thread has developed here related to the New Age custom of saying or writing “Blessings.”

Since many of us have been thinking about this lately, I’m going to add some new thoughts, then consolidate some of the exchanges so far and then cross-post various comments that would have been here… had this post already existed. (Hope this makes sense. I also hope I used the term “cross-post” correctly. If there’s a better word, please tell me. Most of my slang is stuck in the 1950’s and I am slowly crawling my way forward into current language.)

Turning the other cheek, then blessing. Why exactly?

Just yesterday, I had a session with Gladys. She was raised in a Fundamentalist family that was so very, very into religion that Gladys has spent years pulling herself out, then putting herself back together.

This family’s version of religion is rife with cult-like qualities. Brave Gladys has moved out a great deal of limiting STUFF related to her coercive upbringing. As Thanksgiving holidays approach, Gladys has been considering how to get through the required visit to her abusive relatives.

Moving out one cord of attachment at a time, Gladys is finding it easier to question ideals she was taught as a child. They include “Turn the other cheek” and “Bless those who hate you.”

Not an easy thing to do within one’s own family. Nor is it necessarily required, right?

Scriptural accounts of the life of Jesus weren’t written until centuries after his life. So who really knows how distorted they are? Even so, the New Testament doesn’t necessarily portray Jesus as a wimp. When he overturned the tables of the moneychangers in the temple, for instance, I’m not aware that he followed up with “And before I go, blessings to you!”

Gladys has clearer thinking about her family now, with less STUFF pulling her back into past patterns of practicing religion as taught to her back in the day, where “Turn the other cheek” meant “Listen to what your mother and brothers tell you, believe it, and never question a thing.” Without the religious overlay, it becomes clear that this highly dysfunctional family had a custom of scapegoating Gladys.

Since when did Jesus teach hatred and scapegoating?

Right after the session with Gladys, I moved on to facilitate a session with Joe. His family was physically abusive as well as emotionally abusive. Continuing in our systematic removal of vile cords of attachment related to family members, I learned for the first time about Joe’s brother “Cuddles.”

Oboy! That Cuddles is interesting. One time, Joe and Cuddles were walking down a street in Chicago. Seemingly out of nowhere, Cuddles began to rage at Joe, culminating in Cuddles screaming at him and using the N-word. (Neither Joe nor Cuddles is an African-American, by the way.)

Joe’s last interaction with Cuddles featured this fascinating brother calling him and another sibling “The Anti-Christ.”

In a way that shows a certain inclusiveness, doesn’t it? Why limit bestowing the title of   “The Anti-Christ” to just one family member?

Then Cuddles explained his Christian values further by punching the third brother, moving out “unnecessary” teeth, etc. Soon afterwards, Cuddles was physically moved, himself, courtesy of some police officers… directly into the slammer.

Joe, like his Christian brothers, and Gladys, has been raised to turn the other cheek, pray for others, etc. I’d call it a “breakthrough” that Joe didn’t respond by adjusting his cheeks. Instead he called the cops.

Does caring about God require being a victim?

Have you guessed? I really like and respect these two clients, Joe and Gladys. Funny thing is, both are uncommonly devout Christians deep down.

Would their families ever acknowledge this? Just the opposite. These loving, light-filled, increasingly powerful, people haven’t fit in with the prevailing culture of their abusive Christian families.

As these genuine spiritual seekers have released confusing and limiting STUFF from their auras, both Gladys and Joe have been able to question beliefs like needing to bless people whom they dislike.

• Why does a person’s love of God need to translate into cheerfully accepting abuse?
  • Could customs like these keep Catholic and Protestant churches in their positions of power?
  • Without the wacky idea of turning the other cheek, would there be so many people — within and outside — Christian communities who feel the constant need to bless others out loud?

The perspective of energetic literacy

Do people who practice “blessing” others have superior auras? Hardly.

Any habits of communicating inauthentically do not make an aura more beautiful. With energetic literacy, it is possible to read in detail patterns like verbal integrity, spiritual integrity, sharing power. More and more of you Blog-Buddies have been doing this. So, literally, more power to you!

Personally, I have read auras of many people who were proud representatives of a path that involved always being positive — sometimes Christian, sometimes Muslim, sometimes Jewish, sometimes Buddhist, sometimes Hindu, sometimes using New Age Litany (just not all of these approaches, all at the same time 😉 ).

Trust me, it isn’t pretty at all. Patterns of rage don’t disappear because someone struggles to fulfill an ideal.

What about people who are spiritually Enlightened? Don’t they bless people? Sure, constantly. They do it spontaneously through their auric modeling. They don’t have to do it with words. “Darshan” is the name for this powerful kind of blessing.

And don’t Enlightened people always stay positive? Hardly. Enlightenment means acting authentically and as appropriately as possible, given the situation.

Pasting a bland smile onto the face and tossing out “Blessings” like so much confetti will not move a person forward more quickly into Enlightenment. Just the opposite.

Incidentally, among my how-to books, one is quite directly related to lifestyle adjustment as a person evolves spiritually: Let Today Be a Holiday. If you have been struggling to forge a way of living that is congruent with your own version of integrity, you might find this helpful. It’s meant to be a daybook, just one or two pages per day.

Meanwhile, here’s something meant to be helpful right now….

Pop Quiz about Blessing People

How do you rate popular customs related to “Lamb of God,” martyr-like forms of Christianity. I’d be interested in YOUR ratings, as well. (Mine are provided, with italics.)

1. Seeking to understand other people? Good, within limits.
  2. Sticking around, turning your cheeks back and forth like a ping-pong observer, while someone abuses you verbally or physically? A really, really bad idea.
  3. Sending a prayer of white light to help people, praying in private and alone with God? Fine.
  4. Praying for people to mend their ways. Coercive.
  5. Praying for people to stop being so darned stupid and nasty and, instead, be “more like me”? Not good at all. Possibly the other person’s nightmare.
  6. Feeling angry but trying to wear a radiant smile regardless? Just plain ineffective, at best.
  7. Patching up a disagreement and/or helping out the other person by bestowing wonderful, spiritually superior, blessings? Ridiculous.

55 thoughts on ““You disgust me.” But blessings to you, of course.”

• 1
    WHO says:

Yes, I know what karma means.I was just respectfully inquiring how you drew the conclusion about this quote “Where does that karma go, the personal karma you generate? It goes to your nearest relatives. Lucky them, right?” But, since you didn’t expound, I already know the answer.

Comparing me to a teenager,however was uncalled for.

Blessings

• 2

Well, WHO, I am very sorry about the insult. It’s hard to accurately interpret emotions when comments are typed, but I was not attempting to treat you with disrespect.

It does seem you are extremely angry from what you wrote. In case you are interested and won’t assume that I am again insulting you…

Since you know what karma means, you may know that the idea that all karma flows to relatives is built into ancient teachings about karma. This is not some theory I came up with.

And because it isn’t some theory I came up with, but an understanding within Hinduism that is as ancient as the concept of karma itself, some 10,000 years old, I was making the point that one can’t fight City Hall. One may not like the fact that karma flows to the relatives of the Enlightened, but that’s how it is. So there isn’t much point in complaining about it.

• 3

Blog-Buddies, it’s just occurring to me today that another interesting behavior of some New Agers could be related to this New Age Litany.

Today, helping out with comments, I had a not totally lovely — but interesting — exchange of ideas over at a blog post about Enlightenment and karma:

//www.rose-rosetree.com/blog/2010/09/24/enlightenment-quiz-answers/comment-page-1/#comment-47306#comment-47306

I did, clearly, rile up WHO in Comments 6 and 8. I find it fascinating that when she was, pretty clearly, very angry at me, WHO finished her Comment #8 with “Blessings.”

• 4

Continuing, and back in a rather empassioned exchange about cutting cords of attachment:

//www.rose-rosetree.com/blog/2010/09/09/energetic-vampiring-protection-cut-cords-attachment-psychic-attack/

Christina Barea expressed her point of view in one of the angriest posts I’ve ever seen at this blog, Comment 4. She even sent me an email telling me not to change a word of her comment.

(Otherwise I would have cleaned up the spacing a bit but not censored her. You know, to help her not appear as furious as she was. I do light copy editing all over this blog except for the Juicy Comments from Blog-Buddies, my little attempt to help everyone look good.)

Anyway, here is the conclusion from Ms. Barea:

“So, once again thanks for your post. I send you blessings for peace and continual guidance from the Divine.”

What is the deal with this, do you’all think?

* Are New Agers never allowed to get angry?
    * Not allowed to admit when we get angry?
    * Must we show contempt for others by insisting on blessing them, even if they don’t necessarily agree that we need the blesser’s help?

How do YOU respond when a New Ager uses one-upmanship on you, steam coming out of ears? Perhaps concluding, “Of course, I send you the Divine blessings that flow incessantly from my perpetually smiling lips”

• 5

Researching on this “blessings” theme just a bit more, I discovered that a small number of Blog-Buddies routinely end their sweet comments with this, just as I typically say by telephone “Bye, for now.”

As in, “No big deal. I happen to leave social occasions by bestowing a blessing.”

Hey, works for presidents and popes, right?

However, it does happen that people who have send the angriest comments into this blog have found it important to bless me, and us, as part of the comment. I’m going to add one last example below, just in case you find this fascinating as well.

• 6
    Paula says:

someone directed me to your site. i have to say that the way you literally and negatively put down others and their way of dealing with cord attachments is really sad…… having experienced cord cutting and being trained to do it myself and helped many, i am saddened that someone who claims to have such great knowledge puts others down in the field and that is what i will share with my friend who directed me your way and anyone else who mentions your name. may you find peace in others who don’t do it your way just so that you can make money.

• 7

PAULA, how wonderful that you, too, work in the field of cutting cords of attachment.

You are, of course, welcome to take from my blog any message you choose.

You’re right that I care about professional standards for cutting cords of attachment.

I DO take a stand against the Quickie Method of cutting cords, since it doesn’t work and gives our healing specialty a bad name. People who try cutting cords and don’t gain results are unlikely to give it another chance with a responsible practitioner.

Often I have said and written that, clearly, I am not the only person who can effectively cut cords of attachment and that what matters is finding a method that works. Guess you didn’t read enough of a sampling of my work to find that part.

If earning money were my only motivation, it’s unlikely that I would have published a book that teaches exactly the method that I use with paying clients. At this blog you will often find my encouraging Blog-Buddies to develop their own skills at every kind of energetic literacy, as well as cutting cords of attachment. Recently one Blog-Buddy reported having cut (if my memory serves) her 87th cord of attachment.

Elsewhere at this blog, you will find my questioning New Age Litany, with the idea that the ideal for someone in our field is to be unquestioning, reflexively positive at all times. I would be interested in your response to this post:

//www.rose-rosetree.com/blog/2010/10/18/the-new-age-litany/

• 8

One more point, Paula, in response to your Comment 117….

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “may you find peace in others who don’t do it your way just so that you can make money.”

Evidently you are really offended that I share my own point of view on my own blog, website, and self-published books.

So it is interesting that you conclude by
    “blessing” me.

You might find the series of Comments 11 and 12 interesting as well, at the New Age Litany conversation: //www.rose-rosetree.com/blog/2010/10/18/the-new-age-litany/

Perhaps you can help answer my question about why, in New Age Culture, there seems to be a tendency to combine anger at people with the need to bless them.

• 9
    Paula says:

rose, you are not aware of the teachings to give love and blessings even to those that you disagree with? hhmmmm, now that really makes me wonder about your work… everyone has critics and if we are afraid of them and turn someone’s words around we are only fearing fear. as far as this quickie method you are talking about, i’m not even clear about ‘how’ this quickie method works or is… i believe it is YOUR judgement that any other method than your own doesn’t work. that is how you sound in all your posts about cord attachments. i read some entries here and you really do judge people and they fire back at you with love and blessings in return, so i have no idea why i am no different in doing so. perhaps if you point out directly with detail this quickie method you speak of you will be exhibiting less fear of it. remember that when we point a finger there are three pointing right back at us. we are in an age where less and less people are taking someone’s word for whatever they say and are findign out for ourselves as our intuitive selves arise more and more. i never said i do the quickie method. i have no idea what that is to you. sharing knowledge is a great thing. if you are unwilling to do so, then yes, it is my opinion that you are only out for money. but i love you no less. you chose to come to earth and do the work you are here to do. i am in no place to judge that. however, i can offer discussion and my own opinion as well with love. if you are offended by someone offering you blessings, then that might be something for you to think about.

• 10
    Jordan says:

Well there’s obviously some weird New Age thing going on with totally ironic hypocrisy… “I would never judge you for the things I’ve just judged you’re doing wrong.” LOL

• 11
    Jordan says:

Paula, I think the point of the “quickie method” is that there’s really nothing to explain. It’s basically saying “Ok, Archangel Michael, cut all my cords of attachment. Thanks.”

Rose has actually explained it a bunch of times in the blog.

Having known Rose for a few years now, I can say that to my perception, her number one goal seems to be to empower her students with knowledge and skills, which she does very effectively. Self-authority is a theme no matter what you’re working on with Rose.

She answers many questions on the blog (for free!) and actually teaches her healing methods (for a VERY reasonable price).

I personally appreciate Rose’s passion for quality control because of how effectively she has controlled the quality of her own work, and how it has changed my life.

If you’re doing quality cord cutting work, happy happy. Thanks for helping clean up the world and improve people’s lives.

I hope the discussion continues, I’d love to hear what you think.

• 12
    Primrose says:

From my own experience, I can’t be inauthentic for long. Plenty of times people told me to forgive my parents and move on and I COULD NOT, all I wanted to do was punch anyone who said that sort of thing to me.

Rage is rage and needs to be resolved. If it’s covered up with simpering niceness, it gets worse because then it’s twisted. Blessings are nice when they’re authentic.

I have forgiven my parents now and moved on and I bless them for the lovely complex people they are, but I needed my fury to be furious when I felt that way, and I presume other people are similar.

• 13
    Amanda says:

Wow. I’m really learning the distinctive difference between people communicating with ideas and theories about love, and people communicating directly from the authentic self.

Like being in a classroom with a teacher waffling on in the distance and a good friend sitting next to you.

lol! roll on authenticity for all, that’s the best blessing I can think of

Amanda

• 14
    Grace says:

Paula,

Part of your comment about cord cutting reminded me of a distinction we’ve been discussing here on the blog – the difference between ‘judging’ and ‘discernment.’

It’s been my experience that many in the ‘New Age’ world use the word ‘judge,’ which seems to be anathema, when what really is needed and is actually quite important, is discernment.

As applied to the world of cord cutting, discernment is actually quite important for several reasons. Why waste time and money on a technique that doesn’t work when one can have the kinds of profound effects a good technique can bring?

And just as importantly, why encourage more ‘practitioners’ of whatever the energy modality might be who practice a technique that doesn’t produce results?

I appreciate the refined level of discernment Rose brings to her work and to her explanations of it. It has helped me to develop that kind of discernment myself.

I’m at the point now that I just laugh when I hear/read the ‘judging’ alarms go off in the New Age realm.

I must admit that, no disrespect intended, but I did find some of your rather strong judgments of Rose to be quite humorous…without even knowing her, judging that she’s just in it for the money. Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you just encountered her and her work. That’s quite a leap to make, I must say! Especially when in your second comment you say that “it’s not anyone’s place to judge another….”

This whole thread is so funny…there are loads of supportive comments about Rose’s work to be found here on the blog. And compared to many who are out in the Wild West that is the New Age world of energy workers of all stripes, her fees are actually quite reasonable.

I wonder if you gave much thought to how it would come across to make such strong comments, dare I say, judgments, about someone whose work you apparently have never experienced and who you seem to barely know? Food for thought…

• 15
    Jody says:

Grace,

I like what you have mentioned about judgement. It almost seems like there is a clash between Gutenberg literacy and energetic literacy when it comes to the word ‘judgement’.

This is what makes sense to me:

judgement/condemnation = resistance of Truth (fear)

judgement/discernment = acceptance of Truth (unconditional love)

• 16
    Renee says:

Thank you for the posts illuminating the difference between judgement and discernment. I found that really helpful.

I wanted to share something I experienced with my last session of Aura Healing and Transformation with Rose, where she cut a cord of attachment. I have had about 12 cords of attachment cut, along with some past-life regressions and other healing sessions.

During the most recent session, the only way I can describe it is that it was as if a kind of “fog” had been lifted and I had so much more clarity.

The healing was the same, of course, but I was able to “be” in the session without so much “stuff”.

The session took on new meaning and I was able to get so much more intellectually out of it. Before, some of the things Rose would say in the sessions I would sort of ignore waiting to get to the “good stuff” like the aura reading of the person or the cord items.

This time it was all “good stuff” and I was able to really listen get so much more out of it. Now I’m looking forward to each healing getting better and better,, thanks Rose!!

To Paula: You don’t know what you’re missing!! I feel so blessed to have found Rose.

• 17
    Lara says:

What are (a certain kind of) angry New Agers to do but bludgeon with blessings?

I don’t really understand the Christian “Turn the other cheek.” concept. Is it martyrdom, humility? The New Age one is a kind of ‘I realise I may sound angry but I’m not because there is no room in my spiritual self for negativity and proof — I bless you through my gritted teeth” thing.

Everyone gets pissed off!! I read somewhere once that anger was a great signpost, and shows you where you need to make changes in some way, and that has been very helpful to me, not to feel guilty for having certain feelings.

Also if you accept that you are angry, and why, it passes really quickly. If you don’t… it doesn’t go away. And you’re not fooling anyone with a blessing at the end of a rant.

• 18
    Bridget says:

Paula and Rose:

As an avid reader of this blog I find your exchanges fascinating because you’re both in the same burgeoning field; both hold two different opinions.

Personally, I believe diversity is one of the best assets to growth, innovation, and improvement. Therefore it heartens me to find that two experienced spiritual teachers have such differing opinions on “simple” concepts.

What I have learned is that often the impersonal mode of communicating through electronic (or even snail mail) can leave much to be desired when it comes to mediating differences.

In fact, it tends to create a greater divide. Without the face-to-face or voice-to-voice interaction, often times people are left farther apart rather than closer to understanding.

While an educated and experienced diversity of opinion is a wonderful foundation for growth; unfortunately, without pro-active measures to meet and connect on a real level might leave potential growth and knowledge – not just for both teachers, but for humankind – wasted on the table.

Paula : I really don’t think you understand Rose’s concept on the blessings. Perhaps defensiveness is getting in the way. I don’t think it’s anyone’s intention to offend you. It’s definitely not mine (I’m just frank by nature).

Rose: I used to turn the other cheek because deep down I was scared of negative karma. I was also scared of doing the “wrong” thing. If I had been insulted by someone I would in turn pray for them and blame myself.

I thought that since I couldn’t change them, I could always change me.

Since I can change me, maybe I can change whatever it is about me that attracted that negative attention – thus unfairly blaming myself for someone else’s actions.

I also thought if I ever became angry at them I would eventually have someone angry at me. So if I secretly cursed them out and wished ill on them in anger, I would “bless” them or turn the other cheek in hopes of alleviating any potential karma that may have been created.

I see now such behavior/thinking only created more STUFF and really didn’t help or “bless” the other person.

I’m starting to see that appropriately calling people out on their BS is the universe’s way of teaching that person a lesson.

Not hating the person crossing us, blessing them, nor wishing ill on our trespassers; but rather, letting them know what they did is not cool and I’m not putting up with it.

• 19
    Lizzie says:

The coerciveness in those two families of Joe and Gladys is interesting. How often do parents treat their kids badly and then put up some excuse or distorted explanations to justify heir behavior, they don’t even hesitate to use religion for this?

I have seen many people who have been beaten up by their parents for years, later their parents ‘wonder’ why their kids end up not being able to live their lives and continue to fake being ‘nice parents’.

Frequently such parents only stop beating their kids when their child is either old enough to fight back or to understand that they could sue their parents. There are many dysfunctional families, I guess many parents are simply not fit to educate kids.

• 20
    Grace says:

Lara,

I love it! Well said! Since my last post, I’ve been mulling how I’m truly fed up with that whole passive-aggressive New Agey spew bile-and- bless you thing. Enough already!

As I mentioned a while back in another thread somewhere, everyone’s got a shadow. If one doesn’t actively engage somehow with shining some light on it and taking full responsibility for it, it’s going to pop out somehow.

Which is how we wind up with people ranting somewhat incoherently at someone they don’t even know.

There’s all that anger and muck rolling around in there and then….wham! Oops! put on a happy face and drag out a ‘blessing’ because my ego is identified with being a ‘nice (New Age – or name the flavor of religion) person and I wouldn’t be able to dare to admit to myself that actually I have a raging bitch inside! Egad!

This is said by someone who fully acknowledges her inner bitch and who only lets her out when absolutely necessary. 🙂 She’s quite effective, actually, given the appropriate gig.

• 21

Wow, BRIDGET! I can’t speak for PAULA and how much she enjoyed your comment, but I am awed at how beautifully you described the motivation behind this dynamic.

There might be 10,000 reasons to do the “You disgust me. Blessings to you” dynamic. But I can’t imagine any of them being described and deconstructed so articulately.

Thanks very much.

• 22

LIZZIE, these are deep mysteries, aren’t they?

• 23

GRACE, here’s to you (and LARA) and that powerful inner goddess forcefulness to match all of your sweetness and light!

• 24
    Renee says:

Just wanted to make a comment on the “turn the other cheek” references from the Bible. I was listening to an interview with Ingrid Betancourt who was a political prisoner for years in the Columbian jungle.

She was allowed only 2 books and one was the Bible. She said the verse about turning the other cheek was one of the things that kept her going but her interpretation was a bit different, to her it meant, “Nothing you do can hurt me so I will turn the other cheek; you have no power over the inner me.”

I loved her interpretation and it reminded me to be open and willing to question old ideas. Like in “Conversations with God,” he says, “Are you willing to admit there may be one thing you don’t know about God? And if you are, couldn’t that one thing change everything?”

• 25
    Primrose says:

Hi Bridget, a bit off-topic here, but I think electronic communication is wonderful and can help people learn about and resolve their issues with conflict (if they want to). I think that a great deal of what people communicate with each other is projection anyway, realising you hate someone you’ve never met is a great way of flagging up old trauma.

In real life you might be able to convince yourself that the person you hate is worth hating, but when you don’t know them from anything other than their words? Then it might be easier to admit to your own warped thinking and resolve what’s making you hate.

I have to say, I’m a huge fan of speeding up learning. I think electronic communication potentially speeds up the addictive process (say internet addiction, fantasy addiction etc) and you know what? I don’t think that’s bad.

It might seem horrendous in the short term, and the consequences are, but the faster and more intense an addictive arc, the faster an addict is forced to get help.

People hit bottom faster, they get help faster. I don’t know, but I have a feeling that the Internet is speeding up emotional evolution in the most extraordinary way and I find it very exciting. It’s creating the collective unconscious in physical form, incredible!

So I have to say that I totally disagree with your idea that electronic communication is more devisive than other forms of communication!

• 26

PRIMROSE, you have really outdone yourself here. So many wise and fascinating observations!

My favorite (also favourite) is:

“Internet is speeding up emotional evolution in the most extraordinary way and I find it very exciting. It’s creating the collective unconscious in physical form.”

Wow!!!!!!!!

• 27
    Lisa says:

Wow! What a spirited (heh) conversation you all have going here.

I’d like to comment on Rose and her teachings: if how she says things or what she says doesn’t resonate, then you may benefit from a different teacher and/or a different method.

I know Rose personally and she has brought forth some much needed structure and enlightenment to this whole area that was not there before her. Her work has great resonance with me. Will it for everyone? No. There are teachers out there who have done big work that just doesn’t fit for me. Finding what teachers fit for you is a wonderful process. For me, it’s like a “snap” sound as if a piece of the puzzle just slid into place.

I don’t believe it’s Rose’s intent to say there are NO other methods for various techniques out there. But it’s clear she has great wisdom and passion for the process and has dedicated much of her life to learning and teaching it to others with integrity.

It’s really comes down to what works for you. Many many paths are open to us all and we get to choose which one(s) to walk. I think that’s pretty cool. 🙂

• 28

BTW, PRIMROSE, what makes you think the Internet is only representing collective consciousness EMOTIONALLY.

It’s intellectual, conceptual, political.

And the more I think about your insight, the more I am at risk for swooning with delight.

Thank you, thank you.

• 29

On the subject of today’s post, with fabulous synchronicity (although not at 4:44 a.m. ;-)), an email came in that later became a blog post.

“Daisy” had proposed Osho for the Enlightenment Life List. Osho, a.k.a. Rajneesh, is a beloved teacher to many, a cult leader to others.

Reading the photo link Daisy supplied, I read him just the same way I would use energetic litereacy on anyone else. And I didn’t find him ready to join that group. So I commented accordingly.

In response, her feelings were strong. But she was too kind to embarass me here at the blog with her comments, so she emailed me instead.

I requested — and received — permission to post her email in comment form. It’s over at the Enlightenment Life List as Comment 188:

//www.rose-rosetree.com/blog/2010/07/18/enlightenment-life-list-aura-reading-energetic-literacy/

But, just in case you want to read it in the context of today’s post:

“I am a little puzzled by the enlightenment list and all these comments … including mine.

“I wonder if a mouse could describe an elephant and get the whole picture!

“By the way I have been with Osho for many years !

“Namaste and sunny days in your heart,

Daisy”

• 30
    Francesca says:

Hi Rose,

This is a really interesting topic! I must say that reading the last entry about Osho not making the Enlightenment list — it seems like the writer is expressing her point of view and feelings about Osho not being included–she is openly sharing her disagreement and then at the same time with her last line “Namaste and sunny days in your heart” maybe she is using that line to say something like: “While I disagree with you, I have no hard feelings and it is okay with me if we disagree”.

I think you can disagree with someone, even have strong feelings in the disagreement, and yet still have positive regard–and want to express that positive regard towards the person you are disagreeing with.

• 31
    Grace says:

It’s late here and I’m eager to share ideas that have bubbled up from this latest thread, but alas, I must get to bed!

But I would like to share, in honor of Primrose’s comment about collective consciousness and evolution via the Internet, this passage from Wednesday’s energy weather article by an astrologer whose work I respect.

I like the synchronicity and would like to share it, of course, via the Internet!:-) (By the way, I agree that electronic communication can be a wonderful way to connect. I don’t think it’s inherently divisive.)

“When Pluto connected with the Moon’s North Node last night the Moon was fully in attendance, and as a result we all felt the passage of humanity’s collective consciousness pass through the doorway of evolutionary progress.

“That’s a huge passage, and none of us is conscious enough to understand exactly what happened, or what it means for us, but think about where you were last night at 5 or 6pm Eastern time…

“How did you feel? To me it felt as though the entirety of existence was trying to move through my body. I had to lay down, I couldn’t keep my head up, and when it was over, it was over.

“Did you feel a shift of consciousness of any kind last evening? Your shift might not have looked anything like mine, but you went through it, and it moved you….”

I did actually feel a shift. And I think lots of shifting was going on here on the blog!

• 32
    Primrose says:

Rose, glad it made you happy 🙂 I just get so excited about the Internet in that way. It’s like the whole of humanity linked up their brains in a practical way, first with writing, then the phone (I get equally excited when I think of people laying cable under the Atlantic just to be able to talk to each other!) and now with the Internet.

And I love that Youtube is full of ways to improve processes. I’m a decorative artist and suddenly I have a database of knowledge about my field instantly available to me. Of course, as an artist that speeds up my development, and that holds true for every area of my life now thanks to the Internet.

And I see that too with addiction. The Internet facilitates addiction in a much more intense way. I don’t know if you’re aware of Patrick Carnes, he’s a brilliant therapist in the recovery movement. He specialises in treating sex addiction and he says “a tsunami is coming” in the sense that the Internet is changing the way people have sex. He says that teenagers are changing the traditional model of sex addiction.

Usually, in treatment for addiction, people take a fairly long time to reach burn out. Now it is taking less time.

Potentially, that might frighten people a great deal to think of teenagers developing the late, horrible stages of sex addiction. It is frightening of course, BUT I know myself from being in recovery, that hitting bottom quickly is a spiritual gift. It means a lot more of a person’s life span is spent being happy.

My brain loves to work things out, that’s what it does and it does that so beautifully sometimes I can only admire it. Nothing to do with “me” as such, it just happens. I can develop a technique at work, it might take me 2 hours, the next time I do it, it takes me an hour. All artists experience that; I’m sure other people in other jobs do too.

So why shouldn’t people also be learning things like how to recover from addiction in a faster way, facilitated by the tools we create like the Internet?

And it seems to me that most of the tools humans create are to do with communicating. That’s why I really don’t think that electronic communication is divisive. I think its purpose is linked deeply into the human mind’s need to evolve and refine processes.

My random thoughts 😉 sorry they’re so all over the place I’m writing v quickly as I’ve no time, but felt compelled to reply!

• 33

PRIMROSE, GRACE, AMANDA, FRANCESCA, thanks so much to you all.

FRANCESCA, I agree with you totally. I know and like Daisy, having done sessions for her as well as having had her in one of my workshops. She’s as dear as she could be. (And very much like those other Osho followers mentioned by you, AMANDA.)

Still, isn’t it interesting in spiritual culture/New Age culture, etc. that a person would use the shorthand of sending a “Blessing”?

It might have been possible, instead, for her to use a direct statement like, as you suggested, FRANCESCA, “While I disagree with you, I have no hard feelings and it is okay with me if we disagree.”

“Gee, what flavor of blessing was that supposed to be, exactly?

“Hmmm, when Daisy wanted me to have ‘sunny days in my heart,’ is that because she thinks that, as a pitiful mouse of lowly consciousness and inability to accurately read somebody way more evolved, I must find it really rainy down here?”

Daisy had, after all, just slapped me down with a pretty strong insult. It’s back in Comment 29. Delicately phrased! A more direct version would have been, “My guru is an elephant. You are a mouse. Of course, you can’t appreciate him adequately.”

Does blessing someone mean that a person can effectively turn on a dime? Go from feeling rage and conveying insult to, “All is well, of course, and I adore you”?

• 34
    Amanda Flood says:

Hi Rose 🙂

I read in Daisy’s mouse / elephant comment something that made me very sad – her idea that she is a mouse and he is an elephant.

A point not so subtly made by Osho himself in his self-promotion.

Imagine that as an item in a cord of attachment. ‘You are a mouse and I am an elephant.’ ‘Seek as you might to know me, the great unknowable, you never shall.’

In my newly emerging clarity this kind of thing is beginning to seem very pitiful. Luckily elephants are scared of mice, so what a fabulous metaphor!

Daisy, I do hope this doesn’t offend you. The mouse/elephant phrase seemed so typical of Osho-speak, and I’ve picked that up as a general discussion point – I genuinely do not intend anything personally. I hope you understand that 🙂

Amanda

• 35

AMANDA, not only is this a fascinating insight that never had occurred to me but I absolutely cherish this sentence:

“Imagine that as an item in a cord of attachment.”

I’ve been doing this work professionally for 24 years, you know, and I never thought of this as a concept. Hilarious!

(And no, I do not recommend often doing such a thing, but it’s just such great language.)

• 36
    Who says:

Wow, interesting discussion. Just for the record, my comment wasn’t from anger…annoyance maybe. However, I don’t have to agree with someone to bless them or wish them well. Just like your clients don’t have to necessarily like/agree with/love you ( and you don’t have to like/agree with/love them) to work with you. I don’t think that signing off with a “Blessings” is an act of turning the other cheek or martyrdom. For the record, I don’t consider myself an New Ager..which I think is religious/cultish..but that is another matter.

Anyway, I apologize for offending you with my comment, Rose.

• 37
    Primrose says:

“Seek as you might to know me, the great unknowable, you never shall”

Is this for real? The only thing that springs to mind about this is that I am not at all interested in knowing someone who thinks like that. Perhaps I am too blunt and dull to understand this on a deeper level, but it sounds like narcissistic guff to me, and I doubt there are many practicing enlightened narcissists.

• 38
    Kim says:

I don’t find it very satisfying when someone says negative things to me and then concludes with “Blessings”. I got a scorcher of an email once with tons of criticism, followed by blessings. I did not feel particularly blessed.

The really funny part is that the person proceeded to tell me how enlightened she was, how advanced spiritually, etc. I wasn’t sure what to say to that, and think I responded something to the effect of “Good for you?”.

I also wonder why some people sign all of their emails with “Blessings”. It seems like a nice sentiment, but can they really mean it all the time? I only want someone’s blessing if they really mean it, and to be in that state all the time isn’t real (perhaps with the exception of someone who is enlightened, although even then I’m not sure). I would rather a person be real and respond in a way that’s true to how they actually feel.

I would rather have one well-meant blessing during a year than have many every day that don’t mean anything.

I haven’t felt comfortable using the word myself, or signing emails that way. Only because, in my mind, it has connotations of superiority. Rather like saying “You lowly person, I will bless you, because clearly you need it.”:)

• 39
    Amanda says:

LOL, Rose, when I first was reading Cut Cords of Attachment I did a lot of “Imagine if” around logical consequences… then discovered that in fact the contents of cords of attachment are very often surprising and not what the analytical brain would expect! One of the best surprises of the whole experience 🙂

Primrose, what a lovely bubble burst of a comment, thank you! I’ve been on the other end of that kind of thinking and it’s not very nice, to say the least.

There is that aspect of all of us that is everything and is one with everything; it’s just not very real, here, now, human, and so makes for discomfort. I’m enjoying walking out of that space
    🙂

Amanda

• 40
    Jody says:

I feel uncomfortable when approached on the street by members of a particular religious group, because my polite refusals to their persistent convertiness often end in blessings coercion, and my getting the impression they would prefer if more people not in their particular religious group could just be more willing to accept their da*ned blessings already. And that makes me feel spiritually yucked out and trod upon.

• 41

“Persistent convertiness”? JODY, what fabulous language, not to mention the right on! component of all you just wrote.

As for you, Ms. AMANDA, that last paragraph in your latest comment does make me slightly giddy, due to all that eloquence!

PRIMROSE and KIM, thank you so much for your eloquence here, as well. WHO, you inspired a whole new post, so check out the 11-11-10 offering. 🙂

• 42
    Francesca says:

Hi Rose,

Thanks for your response to my post. You wrote:

“Personally, my preference is for direct, authentic communication. That way one doesn’t have to deconstruct:

“Gee, what flavor of blessing was that supposed to be, exactly?”

I agree with you—straight forward communication is what I prefer the most as well…but we are living in a time of tv sound bites, twitter, and text messages! Things are not exactly as straight forward as they might be nor as detailed or energetically congruent!

• 43
    Primrose says:

Amanda, I’ve been on the receiving end of that kind of thinking too. Although I never believed in god, I was quite happy to worship people, a strange kind of atheism really! Although I tended to worship people who were into being powerful in the world and didn’t dress it up with spiritual language. But the premis was the same; worship and adore me. And I did.

Actually, I think sometimes doing that and following it to the nasty end, which for me was very painful, can be useful. Recovering from being a worshipper of people has meant I’ve had to find my own sense of self and I’ve learnt to trust myself.

And I’ve learnt to accept that as a human being I have a love of worship and I need to worship, and that that’s really okay. I can honour that in myself without going around worshipping people while protesting that I don’t believe in god.

I hope that makes sense! I mean that I feel part of me is like a little baby bird that runs after the mother goose wherever she goes. That my need to worship is inbuilt and sacred because it is linked to my survival, and that even if I don’t have any concept of a higher power, I need to pray (which I do). In doing that, I don’t have to be swayed by people who set themselves up as gods, or feel at loss in my own self and unable to look after myself. Which is what (for me) worshipping others was all about.

• 44
    Carol says:

Bridget,

I am a recovering Self-Blaming, Guilt/Fear-Ridden Addict myself.

Thank you for articulating that so beautifully (in Post #18).

Most of the “blessings” given out today feel just like a Passive/Aggressive bludgeoning. But, some of them feel like what you describe, and I can only feel compassion toward those persons.

• 45
    Deborah says:

To each thier own… own path… own point… own thoughts… own feelings… own actions. Be mindful of you, where you are going and flow around everything else. Perhaps it is interesting to reflect…

Readers of the blog… Why do you need to be right? Why do you find the need to disagree? Could an alternate path be to clarify and learn more deeply and then accept what you accept at this time and silently throw the rest away…or provide to others what you have found to be more effective as an alternate practice.

Rose you are the teacher. I appreciate your patience and diligence in providing detailed responses, it takes a lot of energy. Is your energy expended on a given post in alignment with what you want to achieve as a teacher? With that as a filter, would you change the amount of time you dedicate to responding to certain posts?

And truely everyone. Namaste. Is disagreeing a distraction to the journey and the destination? Or is it a learning opportunity? Hmmm…something to reflect on. No need to post your answers! Or perhaps it would be interesting to share our answers with no need to control or judge anothers reflection. Hmmm….

• 46

So glad you included a “Namaste” in conjunction with your other volunteer teachings, DEBORAH. Especially perfect for this thread!

Incidentally, Blog-Buddies, I have figured out finally how to bold words by using the editing function for comments. Hey figuring this out has only taken me a couple years….

As the host here at Deeper Perception Made Practical, from now on I will be bolding occasional words or sentences that seem especially interesting.

• 47
    Adam says:

First, I just wanted to say how much I have been enjoying your posts about New Age culture and the “New Age Litany”.

For my acupuncture degree I studied at a college that was deeply enmeshed in “litany culture”. All that Rhonda Byrne et al stuff made me faintly nauseous but I was never able to consciously understand why it had that effect on me.

It’s like you are slowing down and verbalising every intuition I have ever had about what is screwy in New Age culture.

I love how sane and common-sense/reality-focused your take on spirituality is; I get a lot of satisfaction from reading about it.

• 48
    chris says:

interesting. since you asked, here’s my 0.02:

i’m a massage therapist, empath, and martial artist. i truly believe my aura is such that the “bad guys” (those who would suck off my energy with negativity, do me harm, etc) generally avoid me. occasionally, however, i manage to attract a client who is drenched in complaints and drama.

i never manage to expect this from a client, and i’m never quite sure what to do about/for them. rationally, it is my job and mission to help them, but sometimes… people just aren’t ready to heal. they can’t stop blaming everyone but themselves for their problems. i’m in the frustrating position of not letting them suck off me (which confuses them, as i freely offer my energy to every client in the beginning) and trying to gently steer them to consider the good things in their life, which often falls on deaf ears.

disclaimer: i am a Christian, yes, but also many other things, so i’m not sure what ‘morality’ this would fall under, but i try to keep the intention of “highest good” in my head at all times, no matter what else i may be feeling (anger, frustration, sadness, etc). it works for me.

i firmly believe that we don’t know (at least with 100% surety) what lessons may come, and what they may do for us or for others. i truly believe that only the Divine Spirit can know. while i try to do my best every day, i don’t get to decide for others. all i can do is hope what they need finds them and that – at the very least – i not stand in the way.

i don’t know that i believe throwing “blessings” at the end of an email *quite* cuts it in terms of tonglen *wry grin*, but if the intention is there – enlightenment for all, eventually, no matter what they’ve done – i approve of it.

(then again, i almost never write “blessings” at the end of ANY email, so…)

• 49

The “disgust” theme is extended at a post on an officially cosmic day, 1/11/11.

Check it out here:

//www.rose-rosetree.com/blog/2011/01/11/on-a-cosmic-day-praise-of-disgust/

• 50

The theme continues, Blog-Buddies. You’re still noticing the unsolicited blessings too, aren’t you?

This last week, had one of those really excellent examples.

New client, GLADYS. Clear mental health problem showed up soon as I did the Skilled Empath Merge, and so I suggested as tactfully as possible that she seek some help from a psychiatrist; I did agree to help her during the session.

Gave GLADYS three different times, early in this session, to cancel it if she wished and provide a refund. Because I was not going to be able to cut the cord of attachment to the one person who, supposedly, was responsible for all her problems and was manipulating her energies constantly.

Since she was willing to have the session, under the circumstances, I helped her as best I could.

Soon afterwards she sent a long super-furious email where she complained hugely about the session and me, insulting at will.

In conclusion?

“Blessings to you.”

• 51

The topic of social glitches, fake apologies, and covering up the mess with blessings? Different components of this continue to be part of our collective conversation, Blog-Buddies.

Witness comments at a post from July 2013, where I first heard the fabulous term “fauxpology.”

Join the continuing conversation, detangling sweet intentions and consideration from lying:

“Why could other people make us feel bad? (Blabbing about a taboo topic in New Age.)”

The link is:

//www.rose-rosetree.com/blog/2013/07/27/taboo-new-age-consumer-feel-bad-energetic-literacy-rosetree-energy-spirituality/

• 52
    David says:

Just a little detail on the opening salvo.
    When we disengage from our remaining karmic burden with Enlightenment, it has indeed been said our remaining karma flows to others. But it’s not so much our relatives get our debts but rather those that love us inherit the good karma and those who hate us,
    the bad. Energy attracts and all that.

But this is not to say someone awake has no karma. If they had none at all, they would leave the body unless remaining for the benefit of others. We also would not see the awake challenged by karmic situations. So the karma doesn’t end entirely, just our attachment to it. Thus, activity continues, the drama unfolds, and it falls away resolved.

However, there is another way to see this. That there is no individuals here and all karma is shared by the cosmic body. So we’re working out our shared load together. The intertwined nature of karma makes more sense from this perspective. 😉

There is also a further perspective but that takes us off topic.

• 53

Off topic? Who cares?

Please continue, DAVID.

• 54
    Julie says:

David,

I totally get what you are saying in the last two paragraphs of comment #52. I have experienced that myself, where I still have some personal karma to work out, and I am in the process of working on that. But I also see the big picture of it, and realize that there is collective karma, and collective issues being worked on. A case in point would be financial issues, which is personal karma that I work on, but it is also certainly a much bigger thing beyond myself as many have been affected by the economy and have had similar concerns.

So I take responsibility for my own circumstances, but I also have the feeling of walking step-in-step with a bigger collective. I just wanted to share that because I have felt it strongly: personal karma and collective karma can be intertwined. They are both valid viewpoints.

• 55
    David says:

(laughs) well – OK.
    To put this in context – on the cosmic body, mentioned above, we could say that in awakening (Self realization or Cosmic Consciousness), we recognize ourselves as the cosmic self, the universal being or spirit. In a progression through to Unity, that inner moves progressively forward, eventually absorbing all of the outer until everything is one comprehensive whole.

Part of that is recognizing the body is one cosmic body as well, reflected as all these apparent myriad forms. And the form we recognize is a reflection of the “idea” of the cosmic form. The cosmic form contains all of creation and all universes. In a step more expressed, it is composed of zillions of devata or light beings who simultaneously create and manage all expressed bodies at once, in all time. Yesterday I ran into a remark that suggested the “zillions” was 3 hundred odd million. Not sure the exact number is important but a single finger is like a large city.

Not sure how many passing through this stage experience these details, but the integration that includes the body and environment is part of the process in any case.

A couple of steps past that, one reaches the “edge” of the cosmic self and can finally recognize the origins of consciousness. Thereafter, one transcends the cosmic self altogether into Brahman.

You don’t mention this stage on your states/stages post. It is beyond consciousness but is not non-consciousness. It is beyond being or non-being. It is beyond even the subtlest aspect of duality.

From that perspective, there is no karma. Nothing is happening nor ever has. Now, this doesn’t mean the play of karma is an illusion. No illusion either.

The Vedas call it the Great Awakening. As this might suggest, it’s pretty hard to describe.

We can see something of a process. Detaching from being caught by action, winding down (or roasting) the past backlog leaving just the “sprouted” remnants to be lived out, recognizing karma is cosmic not local, and then letting go of karma altogether.