Rose Rosetree, Founder of Energy Spirituality

• Categories

• * * *
  • Archives

* * *

Subscribe to our list and receive "Reading Life Deeper". Submit your email address below. We will not sell or rent your email address.

"Reading Life Deeper" is Rose's free monthly newsletter, bringing you face readings and aura readings of people in the news. READ A SAMPLE.

Cult Recognition Quiz

November 28th, 2010 by Rose Rosetree

New Age practices are sometimes considered to mean “cult practices.” As if!

Cults have been educational experiences throughout human history. They’re among the most popular educational programs here at Earth School, along with:

1. Addictions and torment over weight
    2. Sexual problems, intimacy issues
    3. Violence, drama; crimes, lying
    4. Taking responsiblity, handling money
    5. Risk taking vs. the need for safety
    6. Reasonable, balanced care of the physical body
    7. Fame issues, popularity problems, superiority needs, self-confidence
    8. Weird locus of control dynamics, co-dependency, enmeshment
    9. Love, love, “When will I have enough love?”
    10. Reaching out to God, seeking Enlightenment, “I’ll do anything for That”

Of course, any of these issues can become hooked into one cult or another. Very tricky indeed!

Alas, many people wouldn’t recognize a cult, even very sophisticated people. Maybe even you.

You can, for instance, have developed full energetic literacy. So you can read a person’s aura in depth and detail. Loads of information will become available, for sure. Yet you cannot tell if that person belongs to a cult.

Or you might become an expert face reader, so skilled at physiognomy that you can acertain loads of useful things about how a person deals with power, money, sex — many of those Big Ten Educational Topics listed above.

Yet you will find no “666 of Cultness” across that person’s third eye chakra. Or forehead.

So how can you tell whether a person’s enthusiasm qualifies as “In a cult” or simply “Enthusiasm”? In short…

How can you research cults?

Our last post discussed how, sometimes, I am invited to help someone exit a cult, or deprogram from cult jargon and mind control.

Sure, there are ways of using energetic literacy to research the effects of cult practices, such as Thrill Your Soul aura reading research.

Sure, it is smart to cut your cord of attachment to anyone you suspect of having influenced you in a cult-like manner. And, when you get to the part of the process about researching the cord items, they may add to your education about power dynamics in general and cult practices in particular.

Mostly, however, common sense can be your guide in figuring out if you have ever been involved in a cult. Know what “cult mind control” really means. Take the following True-or-False Quiz.

Feel free to comment below. Because this is a very tricky quiz, just as cults themselves can be exceedingly tricky.

Cult Recognition Quiz

1. Cults are oddball religions.

2. Cults refer to themselves “Cults.”

3. Cult members are weak, self-engrossed, selfish, and easily manipulated.

4. Cult members feel superior to everyone outside their cult.

5. Each cult has the greatest leader in the world.

6. Cults take your money.

7. Cults brainwash their members.

8. Cult leaders tell you the truth.

9. Cults show great respect for their members.

10. Courage is required to live free from cults.

Like my Facebook fan page:

13 Comments on “Cult Recognition Quiz”

Kate said:

True for 4 & 5 and the rest false. Yes, it seems like a tricky quiz.

November 28th, 2010 at 1:30 pm
    Alexander said:

Hmmm, 1-9 No, 10 Yes, but that could be me, I lived among scientists :-)

November 28th, 2010 at 4:23 pm
    Amanda said:

I’d say true for 4,6,7 and 10, and I’m not sure on 5.

3 is interesting. Some cults tell you those things to draw you in and “mend you: – I’m thinking of Scientology here, but also (this is a little controversial) some psychotherapeutic techniques which label you with a view to then curing you.

Quite a lot of ‘self-help’ gurus with a mailing list do this also!

I went through quite a vulnerable (and hypochondriacal) patch of getting this “Heal Yourself of Your Narcissism/Failure To Be A Cool Girlfriend/Lack of Faith” etc. etc. spam and labelling myself with everything going.

LOL, bless me, I was feeling really down at that point and wondering how I’d got there – and all these lovely people were so willing to cure me instantly! ;)

Funny, that, becausee now I’m actually getting better I don’t think there was really that much wrong with me in the first place – just the fear that there was! Some thought forms are as tricky as your quiz, Rose :)

Amanda

November 28th, 2010 at 5:52 pm
    Truthseeker said:

1-yes(but some have a great public relations dept.)
    2-never
    3-no?(anyone can have these traits to a degree)
    4-yes(classic us vs. them, join us or your damned)
    5-yes(yes, God’s One True Servant)
    6-yes?(or subtly deprive you economically by the nature of the way they function, or their teachings)
    7-yes
    8-no
    9-no?
    10-yes

November 28th, 2010 at 5:59 pm
    Jody said:

Hmmm, I am going to say false to all except number 7, but I had only a year-long taste of living in a cult environment.

I did notice the brainwash feeling though, because I picked up the concepts and jargon from the other people there, and it was hard to get back in to relating with others in Normal Life World when I came home.

Kind of like picking up a bad case of ‘flu. A cult ‘flu.

November 29th, 2010 at 3:13 am
    primrose said:

1-3 no.

4. I think some people in cults think that, but not all.

5. no.

6 not always.

7. I think coercion happens.

8. Yes, I think truth gets told in the mix at times. It’s not simply all lies.

9. Sometimes yes I think. Respect for some needs, none for autonomy.

10. Yes. Leaving a family is very painful.

November 29th, 2010 at 4:07 am
    Elaine Warfield said:

Actually I think each one could be true under different circumstances for it to fit in a cult, ie., Each cult could have one or more of these but not necessarily need all of them to be considered a cult.

November 29th, 2010 at 1:52 pm
    Bernie said:

1. Cults are oddball religions.
    That’s one way of putting it!

2. Cults refer to themselves “Cults.”

3. Cult members are weak, self-engrossed, selfish, and easily manipulated.
    Cult members are a mixed bag, like all people.

4. Cult members feel superior to everyone outside their cult.
    Usually, yes.

5. Each cult has the greatest leader in the world.
    Virtually always, yes.

6. Cults take your money.
    Often but not always. Sometimes they just take your power.

7. Cults brainwash their members.
    Yes, but sometimes in a very subtle way…

8. Cult leaders tell you the truth.
    There will always be an element of truth in what they say… that’s why it may be difficult for a cult member to see the bigger picture.

9. Cults show great respect for their members.
    Rarely!

10. Courage is required to live free from cults.
    Often yes.

December 1st, 2010 at 1:08 am
    Carol Mories said:

1-Sometimes
    2-Sometimes
    3-Sometimes
    4-Usually
    5-Always
    6-Sometimes
    7-Sometimes
    8-Sometimes
    9-The Leaders for the members – sometimes. The members for each other – usually.
    10-Yes! Definitely

I looked up the definition of Cult in the Merriam – Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary and here is what it says:

“1. Formal Religious veneration: worship
    2. A system of religious beliefs and ritual; also, it’s body of adherents
    3. A religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also: it’s body of adherents
    4. A system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by it’s promulgator (health cults)
    5. a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement,or work (as a film or book) esp: such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b: the object of such devotion.
    c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion.”

By these definitions we have all of us, I would venture to posit, been part of some cult at sometime in our lives. So, I guess it can be subtle or obvious. I would suspect the effects would also be of varying degrees in the individual depending on the motivations for “joining” any body of like-minded adherents of any “us versus them” group (my definition of a cult).

December 1st, 2010 at 1:47 am
    Carol Mories said:

I looked up the definition of “Cult” in the Merriam – Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary and here is what it says:

1. Formal Religious veneration: worship

2. A system of religious beliefs and ritual; also, it’s body of adherents

3. A religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also: it’s body of adherents

b: the object of such devotion.
    c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion.

December 1st, 2010 at 12:28 pm
    Katie said:

1-3 False
    4-7 True (5 meaning that part of being in a cult is thinking your leader is the greatest in the world)
    8 and 9 are false
    10 is definitely true because you may at times be told you are going straight to hell, or its equivalent, for not agreeing or speaking the lingo.

I was in something I consider a cult in my 20s, and when I walked away they condemned me from the pulpit, saying unless I submitted completely to them I was going straight to Hell.

It was that experience that greatly influenced my answers.

And, due to that experience, I sometimes see political stuff that seems very cultlike. People who’d rather not think for themselves being led into heavy-duty hate talk by unscrupulous podium pounders.

December 1st, 2010 at 7:38 pm
    Jim Curry said:

1. They are, but they really don’t have to seem like a religion at all. Amway is a cult of sorts–for sure. Most of MLM is, and a good deal of Wall Street.

2. No. Many just call it “company policy” or “employee loyalty.”

3. Not necessarily. We can all be manipulated—it doesn’t have to be easy, it just has to get done.

4. Usually, but not always. Some really feel inferior for sure.

5. Only the leader probably thinks so. The rest of us—no.

6. Usually, but not always.

7. They certainly try.

8. They always tell part of the truth, but never all of it, and they usually avoid the most inconvenient aspects of the truth.

9. No. Even when they are not openly hostile to their members, there is always considerable implicit insult in their approach to members and treatment of members. We’re the big boys—listen to us.

10. Yes and no. Courage is required to make any significant change or transition. It takes courage to leave, but not too much to continue living normally again—once you’ve made the change.

All right. The quiz is smart.

NOOOOOW answer this question: Given these characteristics, why aren’t several of the main line, old fashioned, reliable, good as gold Christian Churches—including mine—qualified to enter as cults?

Is it simply that they’re less successful in manipulating their members? They’re certainly in there trying.

They certainly grab hold of their favorite part of the truth and ignore the rest. Seems iffy to me.

December 2nd, 2010 at 2:46 am

JIM, splendid question in your Comment 12. An organization can play the role of “Cult” in the lives of many. Yet others simply dip in and out of the organization, take what they need, and avoid the cult experience.

You’ll find that happening for members of many religious groups, including Catholics, Baptists, etc.

For example, I have a friend, GLADYS, who is a member of a Baptist church that I, personally, find quintessentially cult-like. Once I attended a funeral there and — well, the best I can say for it is that I was able to use it as a writer. You’ll find some of the cadences and sermon elements from the minister in my novel for empaths, “The Roar of the Huntids.”

That novel, incidentally, involves a lot of satire of cults.

Anyway, GLADYS attends that church regularly. She volunteers there. Yet GLADYS doesn’t seem to have become involved in a cult-member way.

While at the funeral, I did a bit of aura reading of the minister and many members of the congregation. They had typical showings at the Third Eye Chakra databank about Connection to Spiritual Source:

Small, blank, and either arrogant or fearful or both. (Typical for that church and for people who are Fundamentalists in any religion that I have researched.)

By contrast, GLADYS has a glorious, huge, sparkly, love-based Third Eye Chakra databank about Connection to Spiritual Source.

With her gorgeous level of consciousness, she has had a kind of natural immunity, or protection, from the cult qualities of her church.

Make sense?