Empaths Have Neither Autism Nor Asperger’s Syndrome

Empath coach Rose Rosetree says, "Come on." Apples and oranges! Empath and Asperger's!
Empath Coach Rose Rosetree says, “Come on.” Apples and oranges! Empaths and Asperger’s!

So, here I am in my role as hiker in the Shenandoah Mountains. And a Molecular Empath. Also, for today’s post, I’m in my role as an Empath Coach, an energy spirituality healer who has developed the system of Empath Empowerment(R).

You don’t have to Google for long to read about confusions over different ways that consciousness functions outside mainstream feeling, thinking, and spiritual awareness. In fact, I just googled “autism empath” and came up with 91,000 hits.

Smart people are thinking. That’s good news.

Smart people are thinking about empaths. That’s very good news. Nobody can become a skilled empath  unconsciously, automatically, or by taking a few quick minutes to learn random tips over the Internet.

How can empaths like us raise consciousness about becoming a skilled empath? And how can this professional Empath Coach help to spread the word about skills that can make enormous difference for quality of life?

Let’s start with some much-needed clarity. Equating autism or Asperger’s Syndrome with being an empath is, quite simply, nonsense.

Why Empaths Have Neither Autism Nor Asperger’s Syndrome

Reason #1. Aura reading research amply demonstrates this. By “Aura reading,” I mean Stage Three Energetic Literacy, not the simple “I feel vibes” sweet beginner’s version of aura reading, which can be called Stage One Energetic Literacy.

Here are some links to blog articles that can make this “Zero in common” point clearer.

Autism and Asperger’s syndrome? When you can read chakra databanks, the truth becomes stunningly obvious. Neither variation in human consciousness has anything — any teensy weensy thing — in common with being an empath.

What about the term “Autism Empath”?

Blog-Buddies,  if you hear anyone use a term like “Autism Empath,” please raise a ruckus.

“Autism Empath” simply adds to the vast confusion in pop culture about what autism means, what it means to be an empath, what it means to become a skilled empath. Oy veh!

Why else does being an empath have zero real connection with autism and Asperger’s Syndrome

Reason #2. Psychological research makes it exceedingly clear that being a Highly Sensitive Person, or HSP, is totally different from autism and Asperger’s Syndrome.

Technical point from the author of Become The Most Important Person in the Room and Empowered by Empathy: All empaths are HSPs. While 1 in 4 HSPs is an empath.

Are there research studies about Empath Empowerment(R) and all the other skill sets in Rosetree Energy Spirituality?

Not yet, fellow pioneers in this emerging field. I welcome collaboration with those who combine a scientific background with interest in conducting rigorous studies.

For now, I invite you to consider what I have learned from case histories as an empath coach and healer. As a leader in this field, I have conducted many thousands of sessions, probably more than anyone else alive.

At least there has been some scientific research about HSPs. Today I encountered an excellent article about this by Dr. Elaine Aron, the Jungian analyst responsible for the genius discovery about Highly Sensitive Persons. She explains brilliantly why being a Highly Sensitive Person has absolutely nothing in common with either autism or Asperger’s Syndrome.

More clarity courtesy of the gold standard among psychiatrists and psychotherapists

Consider the “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual” (DSM) provided by the American Psychiatry Association. Within the mental health field, DSM manuals are the gold standard for sorting out what is, and isn’t a mental health problem.

(Is DSM perfect? No. We might more accurately call it a “Golden-ish standard.” 😉 But that still counts for plenty in the world of wild and wooly ideas about autism and Asperger Syndrome.)

DSM-IV and DSM-V group autistic spectrum disorders (ASDs) — autism and Asperger Syndrome — as “Pervasive Developmental Disorders.”

To quote Dr. Aron, “In all of these disorders, even if a person is said to be ‘high functioning,’ there is always severe, sustained, pervasive impairment in social functioning, plus highly restricted interests or repetitive activities. And sensitivity to sensory stimulation or sensitive sensory processing is never mentioned in the diagnostic criteria for ASDs.”

Again, in stark contrast to autism and Asperger’s Syndrome, DSM-IV and V do not include HSP as a mental health diagnosis.

Similarly, what if you are among the 1 in 4 HSPs who is also an empath? No DSM-IV or V diagnosis exists for that either. Nor should there be.

Empaths may suffer. Unskilled empaths do suffer. Yet this does not constitute a mental health problem, folks. Neither high sensitivity nor talent as an empath means a form of mental illness. Being an empath is not some kind of psychological disability.

And, of course, the term “Empath” does not just mean one type of gift. At least not for anybody other than a total beginner in this important field.

As a consumer of empath coaches and resources to help you, here is one idea that could prove helpful: When someone offers you advice as an empath, check to learn if that empath teacher possesses basic knowledge about what an empath actually is. Can that empath teacher clearly define what it means to be an empath? Or does a mushy or inaccurate definition serve as the basis for everything else being taught?

• Take this empath quiz to learn about the many gifts an empath can have. Any one of these would qualify you to call yourself an empath… and thus a candidate to learn skills of Empath Empowerment(R).
  • For an excellent article related to the extreme differences between being an empath versus having autism or Asperger’s Syndrome, see Susan Meindl’s essay on “HSP – What a Therapist Needs to Know About High Sensitivity.”

It’s time to stop thinking that “Empath” is a cute or trendy term to use irresponsibly

That is my opinion, anyway. And, yes, it’s a strong opinion from this empath coach.

Because more than any other work that I do in this world, I work as an emotional and spiritual aura transformer in the emerging profession of Energy Spirituality.

I care passionately about alleviating human suffering. Like many others (including folks with whom I disagree about what really helps empaths), I  do my best to bring people health, healing, spiritual self-authority, and skills that really work.

So here is a summary of Rose Rosetree’s personal perspective about what can, and cannot, help empaths significantly.

Blog-Buddies, you may know that Empowered by Empathy is the first book published for empaths in the English language, and many other languages as well.

When the concept of “Empath” began to work its way over to search engines, most of the hits for empaths were about science fiction.

Since then the field has exploded, with loads of books and experts who coach empaths. Pop culture became more interested in the term “Empath,” and so people began experimenting with it more serious ways. Folks began teaching empaths, holding support groups for empaths, etc.

Certain confusing, misleading terms for empaths have become popular. For instance, see this earlier blog article:  “Psychic Empath,” an important term to define … define and then reject!

Many intelligent, thoughtful people have added their own contributions about how to become a skilled empath. It is up to you, the consumer, to use discernment about what is offered. For example, I invite you to consider advice mentioned yesterday in a comment by Blog-Buddy GINA, who shared something she found helpful from the work of Dr. Michael Smith:

“… empaths sometimes have lessons to learn so they are attracted to narcissists because they need to learn about the darker side of sentient beings, and ultimately of themselves. Speaking from experience, I find myself attracted to narcissists or they’re attracted to me, I don’t know. I think it’s the hope that narcissists might not be as shallow as they appear because we, as empaths feel so much.”

How helpful is this sort of teaching to the rest of you, Blog-Buddies? It’s certainly appealing how an empath eager for help can get the idea quickly. Ah, that ever-popular desire for a tip or takeaway!

After you start relating problems with narcissists to your being an empath, then you could think about it for hours or days, analyzing your life experiences. Maybe you can find consolation. Maybe you will find many people to blame for your suffering as an empath. And if that is what you find really valuable, great!

Personally, I have one essential question to ask of any system, technique, tip, or takeaway for empaths. Does it prevent unskilled empath merge, with STUFF then being deposited in an empath’s auric field?

Granted, this takeaway that GINA shared in order to be helpful does not necessarily represent the best part of Michael Smith’s work. And you might want to research him online to learn more about the rest of what he offers.

Certainly, there is room for much discussion as humanity starts waking up to the presence (and needs) of empaths in this world. There is room for many opinions. There is also a crying need for empath skills that really work.

Because we empaths are not just cute characters in science fiction. The pain of any unskilled empath is seriously real, humanly very real.

Blog-Buddies, please participate in responsible conversations about being an empath. That includes educating folks who have self-authority but not yet very much skill, who mean well when making the preposterous assertion that being an empath has a lot in common with autism or Asperger’s Syndrome.

When you have a chance, Blog-Buddies, please spread the word about becoming a skilled empath. The results can be a big deal. Though they never will relate, in reality, to being autistic or suffering from Asperger’s Syndrome.

95 thoughts on “Empaths Have Neither Autism Nor Asperger’s Syndrome”

• 1
    David says:

Wow – I had no idea people were that confused about such things. I know an empath who helps parents communicate with Autistic kids. And unskilled empathy can make you feel kind of messed up. But autism is rather opposite & disconnected.

I also agree on empath skills that work. Lots of people talk about it and empath quizzes are becoming more common. Knowing is useful but what then? And if you actually want to be conscious of the process, would it not be REALLY useful to know the form your empathy takes?

• 2
    David says:

Just saw your Empathy Quiz for the first time. Long list of Yes’s but as several comments mention, much of the overwhelm is in the past.

Still playing catchup with your books though… 😉

• 3
    Linda Stone says:

Rosetree Energy Spirituality techniques have taught me how to be a skilled empath. Just as I have studied the art and practice of oriental medicine to learn exactly where to insert acupuncture needles, to facilitate healing, in my acupuncture practice. Rose taught me skills to consciously control my empath merges.

There were many times in my life when my unskilled, and unknown, empath merges caused me to question my sanity. I suffered a lot. I am not sure where the assertions of autism or Aspberger’s came from, and who equated either one with being an empath. In my experience the two, are mutually exclusive.

As an unskilled empath, in the past, my aura has occasionally merged with that of a mentally ill person. At that time, I had great difficulty deciphering from where my random, crazy, thoughts and feelings had originated. I could not tell the difference between myself and others. I spent many hours with psychologists and therapists who assured me repeatedly that I was not mentally ill myself. Still, with all their reassurance, I spent a lot of time analyzing where the those thoughts came from, as I sensed them hiding in my subconscious mind. I was secretly afraid the mental health experts were all wrong and that I was a certified “nut-job”.

I never found an answer to those questions, until I learned to control my empath merges in a Rose Rosetree intensive workshop. As a skilled empath, my life is soooooo much easier. I can tell the difference between my feelings and anyone else’s including plants, and animals and mountains and crystals.

Empath skills allow me to be me. Empath skills also allows me to use my acupuncture skills to help people in my work. Because at work I am not doing unskilled empath merges, I get to be me, myself and I.

And, I LIKE IT!

A LOT!!!!!! Thank you, Rose

• 4

DAVID, thank you so much for all your comments today.

Yes, related to your Comment #1, it is outrageous how much confusion exists between the terms “Empath” and “Autistic” and “Autism” and “Asperger’s Syndrome.”

I have seen it on Facebook. As well as online. In fact, I think we had a little thread here where someone posted a comment about wondering if someone with autism was really an empath.

So important to understand what it means, and does not mean, to be an empath!

• 5
    Gina says:

Um…..I’m really sorry for posting all that obviously erroneous information. I’ll try not to do that in the future.

• 6

GINA, no apology needed. And I hope you don’t feel as though you deserve an apology from me for using some of your comments as a springboard for sharing my ideas.

Though, if you do want an apology, I give you one right now! Right here in public! For the record….

GINA, I respect you, your courage, and your enthusiasm.

It was important for you to share information that you thought would help our community. You wrote about ideas that are very, very popular on the Internet.

Afterwards I took the opportunity to add my perspective. Which some readers might disagree with. They might prefer what you once believed. Well, bring on self-authority and skills, free will at its finest.

All of us are learning and teaching here at Earth School. This is meant to be an educational blog, not a blog of shame!

• 7
    David B says:

Not to worry, Gina. She’s used the comments of myself and others here as a teaching springboard as well. It’s a good way to tune everyone’s understanding.

• 8
    Jordan says:

Gina, I’m glad you brought it up! It’s a really important and interesting distinction. And don’t worry about it, we’ve all been corrected or disagreed with. 😉

• 9
    Kira says:

I was once tested for ADD by a psychologist who specialized in that sort of testing. I don’t have ADD, but she said there was *something* off with me that she couldn’t quite pin down. She said it reminded her of Asperger’s but that was not an official opinion. My regular therapist eventually thought of HSPs and had me read *The Highly Sensitive Person*; it took another several years after that to find out I’m an empath.

I find it interesting that even someone who does psychological testing for a living could potentially think an empath might instead have Asperger’s, but at least it wasn’t her official professional opinion.

• 10
    Kira says:

At risk of talking too much yet again, I’ve been dying to say that while I loved and identified with Deanna Troi from the first episode of *Star Trek: TNG*, there was an empath I identified even more with in a later episode–the woman in “The Perfect Mate”, who was born to mold herself into the perfect match for whoever her people married her off to. I think she has more types of empathy than Deanna does.

• 11
    Kira says:

Grr…meant “whomever her people married her off to.”

• 12
    Valentino says:

It would bring me some comfort if people would correctly spell Asperger Syndrome, it was named in honor of Hans Asperger who is credited for some of the earliest research about autism, and also himself appeared to have traits of Asperger’s.

Asperger Syndrome (AS) as a separate diagnosis from Autism has been removed from DSM-5 (May 2013), and will now be part of Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or called High Functioning ASD. However people who are high functioning on the autistic spectrum are still commonly calling themselves ‘Aspie’ or ‘Aspergerian’..

I’m both an Empath and an Aspie, but only recently fully discovered my Aspie side. I can relate to the challenges of being on the HSP spectrum and also on the Autism spectrum.

Some challenges are similar, but the combination of the two offers it’s own unique set of challenges. Relying on empath teachings and energy healing modalities was not enough. And Autism research & teachings mainly just address basic functioning skills. So, I have had to figure out a lot of things myself, lots of trial and error. Discovering and trusting my own self-authority was very important. Modern society can be very cruel and dismissive when you break unspoken social rules & expectations, even if it is due to ignorance, innocence, or a sort of social blindness.

One of my theories is that ASD is generally a brain that is overly masculine (this matches some research discovering brains with higher than normal testosterone levels at development), leading to a person who is over-sensitive to physical world, over-relies on left side of brain (logical, analytical, objective). This over-sensitivity to physical world causes typical issues of autistics who are often overwhelmed by noise, lights, touch, temperature, etc. so they naturally place less attention on relationships and social skills. The extreme left brain dominance causes obsessive traits, hyper-literal communication, and more interest based emotionless relationships. Some TV & movie characters who act Aspie are “Spock from Star Trek” and “Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory”; but not all Aspies are this extreme, each can be quite unique in outer expression and interests, some blend in un-noticed by most, some still don’t even know for themselves..

In comparison, HSP are generally strong with Right Brain traits (reading emotions, intuition, creativity, music, recognizing faces, relational), a sort of overly feminine brain. But there is an over-sensitivity, which can lead to being easily overwhelmed by their own & other’s emotions and feelings. Like from unskilled empath merges?

I apologize if this post may feel contradictory, is unwelcome, or broke some of unspoken ground rules on this blog. My Aspie side still has difficulties interpreting emotional subtleties. I’m learning to use my empath gifts of emotional and intellectual intuition to help compensate, but there’s still a level of blindness.

Thank you Rose for addressing such a challenging topic.

• 13

Thank you for the spelling correction, Valentino. I learned the not-Asperger spelling from clinical psychologists, so I came by it honestly.

• 14
    Marion Cooley says:

The post by Valentino is most interesting, and there is no more intimate knowledge of a situation than that gained by living in it. Much can be learned as well by having lived with and loved someone who experienced the world in the manner of those described as being on the autistic spectrum.

There have been three people whom I have known over years, loved, and observed in successive stages of development. Two of these are no longer on this earth, and several traits were consistent throughout their lives. Foremost was a great kindness.
    While there was certainly a difficulty in meeting societal expectations, these were, as boys and as men, highly responsive to and protective of those they felt were being mistreated. While others may have been sensitive to how someone perceived a situation, they could not have been more caring about the pain they felt another was experiencing. Temple Grandin is said to have stated that nature can be cruel, but we don’t have to be.

A second gift is that of a high degree of creativity, noted in the Time magazine article of October 7 as being “a sudden, unexpected recognition of concepts or facts in a new relation not previously seen.” One of the two men I have mentioned was the most creative individual I have ever known, and I have taught university classes on creativity. This comes largely from a very high degree of observation and understanding of the basic characteristics of something.

While I do not question the differences between a high level of sensitivity and the characteristics of those who experience the world from the view of one who is said to be on the autistic spectrum, it is notable that the particularly intense perception of sensory input that sometimes afflicts them does seem to have some commonality with the interpersonal sensitivity of the highly perceptive.

• 15

Dear MARION, your loving heart is what shines out most strongly for me in what you have written.

You might find it interesting to do a phone session or Skype video with aura reading research. I can pull out energetic holograms of anyone you have ever known and describe in detail the special qualities of sensitivity.

Hey, I have done this for mental health practitioners, providing inside information on what was making their clients tick subconsciously.

Personally, I find research about one person at a time to be way more interesting (and less confusing) than generalizing about sensitivity.

God is in those details, as well as everywhere else. 🙂

• 16
    Kira says:

Valentino, you answered my next question before I even asked it! I was wondering if it was possible to be both an empath and an Aspie.

Marion, interesting observations!

• 17

Valentino,

Without having met you or knowing you personally, it is difficult to say whether you have Asperger syndrome or fall on the autism spectrum.

All psychiatric diagnoses are based on clinical assessments, a combination of lengthy interview, mental status examination, and sometimes supporting interviews and questionnaires.

There is no lab test that can definitively diagnose any psychiatric diagnosis in the DSM.

I can say this with confidence because I am a mental health professional.

It is not clear to me from your comment whether you were given a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome from a mental health professional – or whether you think you have Asperger syndrome based on what you have read or seen in the media.

Because of how much attention Asperger syndrome and autism have received in the media, there is much more recognition of these disorders.

That’s a wonderful thing.

However, the increased recognition has also led to a social phenomenon in which anyone who is weird, shy, socially awkward, or sensory sensitive to be labeled by others – or to self-label – as having Asperger’s or autism or being “on the spectrum.”

Even with the field of mental health, the gold standard for an autism diagnosis is the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule or ADOS. The ADOS is an extremely lengthy and detailed assessment that requires specialized training.

Everyone feels sad sometimes, but it doesn’t mean that everyone has a clinical diagnosis of major depressive disorder. Everyone has moments of feeling awkward, embarrassed, or shy at times. It’s perfectly normal. It’s actually called, “Being human.” It’s practically a prerequisite for being alive.

Personally, what concerns me about the preoccupation with labels is that it sometimes deters people from getting the help or support that they want or need.

Instead, the label can become a barrier.

Even in the mental health field, diagnoses are made primarily for the purpose of accurate treatment (and billing, since mental health professionals have to get paid somehow). In my humble opinion, it is incredibly unhelpful to label someone with a diagnosis, then provide them no support or treatment. Or, equally as bad, diagnose people inaccurately and provide them with the WRONG treatment, which could potentially harm them or at least delay arriving at the correct diagnosis and treatment.

• 18

Okay, it is time to comment further on today’s comment by you, VALENTINO.

With all respect to your self-authority and beliefs and medical history, VALENTINO, I do not believe you can be simultaneously an empath and have Asperger’s.

So far you have never had a healing session with me. If you were in session with me, I could not comment on whether or not you have Aspberger. As I am not a mental health practitioner.

However I do coach empaths and read auras accurately. So I could certainly comment on whether or not, in my professional opinion as an Empath Coach, you are an empath or not.

When it comes to the diagnosis as someone with Aspberger, I have encountered plenty of clients with psychological diagnoses that were supposedly for life and did not last… after that client had healing sessions that removed STUFF.

There can be many types of STUFF that cause problems, problems that could show up with behavior patterns that are then diagnosed into one popular category or another.

Until I learn otherwise, I must respectfully disagree with you that you really do have, simultaneously, two different styles of processing information and energy that are mutually exclusive.

• 19

ANONYMOUS, what a brilliant response.

I couldn’t agree more with what you expressed, including the caution against self-diagnosing oneself. Or, by implication, others.

In my work, I encounter many who have decided “My ex was a narcissist” etc. as if that would solve all problems. Diagnosing others may not be especially accurate, either. It certainly is no substitute for healing, whether psychological healing with a mental health professional or energy spirituality healing with a professional.

• 20

Also, ANONYMOUS, I wish I could frame the TONE of your Comment 18.

Like a gorgeous picture!

You really convey the compassion and judgment a true mental health professional.

• 21
    Brian says:

Rose,
    I would venture to guess that you have little to no experience being around and working with people on the Autism spectrum.

Based on my experience with being around and working with individuals with autism I would have to say that your post on the subject could not be any further from the truth.

• 22
    Brian says:

I agree that not all empaths are on the Autism spectrum but I would say that most individuals with autism are empaths especially those that are more effected and non-verbal. Seems to me that you take offense to this fact because you feel uncomfortable with autism.

• 23
    Brian says:

Look into William Stillman for starters as well as research currently being conducted by Diane Hennacy Powell, MD in regards to non-verbal autistics and telepathy.

• 24

BRIAN, thank you for reaching out.

I have formatted your long comment into three because the style of our blog is to have short, readable comments. Fortunately we aren’t on Facebook, and so we can make comments easier to read and respond to directly by keeping them short.

• 25

Regarding your Comment 21, I’m sure you’re correct when you tell us about your depth of experience at being around, and working with, individuals with autism. That deserves respect.

You’re not so correct in your first assumption about me. Two of my closest friends have children with autism. And I have done many sessions with clients, and even some aura readings for this blog, where I researched in considerable detail what was going on at the astral and subconscious level, in chakra databanks.

So naturally your second assumption about me, in Comment 23 isn’t correct either. It’s actually very far from the truth. People with autism do not make me uncomfortable.

• 26

When I write about autism at my blog, it certainly isn’t with your depth of knowledge and experience. But I do write with knowledge and experience at energetic literacy.

That is the basis for this post, for instance.

I’m not sure how strong your background is at this. But I won’t make assumptions about how much you know. Or go on to theorize about you in a personal way, based on a guess or an assumption. 😉

• 27

Speaking of assumptions though, in my experience, it is very common for people who don’t yet know much about energetic literacy to make assumptions that mush together very, very different things.

* Nonverbal behavior
    * Telepathy
    * Autism
    * Having talent as an empath
    * Having skills as an empath

These are apples and oranges, watermelons and mangoes. The energetic mechanics are different, even if the words people use may make different experiences seem similar.

“Chakra databanks” is where a person would investate to discern the difference. That’s a term I developed. An ancient term for chakra databanks is “The Nadis.”

• 28

So BRIAN, you might reach many conclusions based on behavior, or study of nonverbal communication.

This thread at my blog is based on research I have done, researching real people with skills of energetic literacy.

Granted, it is not a huge sample. However the findings are extremely clear.

I agree with Dr. Elaine Aron’s conclusion, quoted in the main article here. It would be a mistake to believe that empaths are similar to persons who have Aspbergers Syndrome.

And I believe it is only a matter of time (and energetic literacy) before scientists understand that being born as an empath is completely different from either Aspbergers Syndrome or autism (high-functioning, low-functioning, or anything in between).

• 29
    Brian says:

Personally, I find Dr. Elaine Aron’s perception of autism quite offensive and based purely on ignorance. She is fundamentally wrong with her assessment and obviously her only experience with autism is what she gathered from reading the DSM definition. Which is pretty much on par with what I would expect from a quack psychologist with zero clinical experience. Maybe individuals with autism threaten you and Mrs. Aron because of fear that they might expose you both for the shills you are. Just a thought!

• 30
    Fiona Crowe says:

It seems what you have written here is considerably out of date.
    The emerging world of autism in women is diverse and rich in sensitive souls who are deeply empathetic.

Please look at this page and consider editing the information you have published here.

• 31
    Rose Rosetree says:

Thank you for attempting to educate me and my blog community.

Perhaps at some point you might wish to learn a bit more about empaths, and my trademarked system for helping them. Hint: “Empath” is not the same as being “empathic.”

My four books for empath coaching might be helpful, for instance, if you’re curious.

• 32
    Rose Rosetree says:

Really, the value of energetic literacy is especially indicated for good people, like FIONA, who are doing all they can to help autistic persons.

Until somebody has developed at least Stage Three Energetic Literacy, there’s a tendency to assume that all non-standard forms of perception are equivalent.

Although I’m not an expert at autism, I am an expert at deeper perception and also at training empaths with the system of Empath Empowerment®. Given research that I’ve done so far, which is more than what’s described here at the blog, I’m convinced: believing that someone with autism is an empath — though understandable — is just plain preposterous.

• 33
    Rose Rosetree says:

If you’re reading this article because, like FIONA, you’re more involved in helping those with autism than understanding energetic literacy. So you don’t really know the difference yet between words like “empath” versus “empathic”…

Maybe you’d like to read a bit more at this blog. Specifically, you might wish to read the following articles:

* Aura Reading an Autistic Child.

* Autism Aura Reading Jamboree, honoring Stephen Wiltshire

* Huge Spiritual Endowment, Autistic Or Otherwise

• 34
    Moon says:

Autism is not an illness or a disorder. It is hyperfunctionality and hypersensitivity of the brain – not the opposite. This is now WELL known. The same goes for empathy in autistic people. Higher than average. Please don’t spread misinformation. Are you trying to cause harm? You would communicate differently and avoid eye contact if you could feel people from across the street.

• 35
    Rose Rosetree says:

Like many people with strong opinions about autism, MOON, you’ve found one article of mine and used it as a launch pad for “educating” my blog community.

Actually, you haven’t seen my aura reading profiles of autistic people at this blog, have you?

Of course autism goes with being hypersensitive. I’ll agree with that part of your comment, anyway.

• 36
    Rose Rosetree says:

Another point: Showing empathy? Sure, autistic persons can show empathy.

However, empathy is not the same thing being wired for life as an empath.

Many people are still learning about that distinction. So thanks for the opportunity to remind everyone.

• 37
    Fiona Crowe says:

Hello again Ms Rosetree, I really appreciate you keeping up with replying to all the blog comments you receive here.

I’ve enjoyed reading your updates.

• 38
    Fiona Crowe says:

The reason I originally wrote was because the title and content of this particular blog is very black and white, as if having an Autism/Aspergers diagnosis some how eliminates them from being empaths.

• 39
    Fiona Crowe says:

Seemingly without much actual knowledge or experience of autistic people.

Infact there is growing evidence that many of the diagnostic criteria for women on the autistic spectrum are similar to that of being an Empath (being wired for life as an empath – as you say).

• 40
    Fiona Crowe says:

For example you may demonstrate considerable inflexibility in thinking, and be hyper focused on your area of special interest, that and absorbing the emotional states of others to the point of overwhelm, and you’d probably meet said criteria too!

• 41
    Fiona Crowe says:

Perhaps this is why you react so strongly to the suggestion that some Autists may be Empaths.

• 42
    Rose Rosetree says:

Thank you for your beautiful manners in this series of comments, FIONA CROWE.

(Yes, as always, they are spaced into readable chunks, as is the style of the blog. Changing nothing else. If you don’t do that on your own, the blog monitor will do it for you.)

• 43
    Rose Rosetree says:

It does appear that, in your oh-so-civil way, you wind up making your case that I’m actually “an autist.”

Which would only show how far you are willing to go in your personal theories. Theories which you are, of course, entitled to believe in and comment about. Or you might even prefer to create your own blog, so as to have more scope for publishing them unquestioned.

• 44
    Rose Rosetree says:

Here are my credentials to back up what I’ve written here about autistic persons and folks with Asperger’s:

1. Probably at this point I know more about helping and coaching empaths than anyone in public life.

Including publishing the first book in English for empaths, having the only trademarked system in America for helping empaths, currently having four titles in print to help empaths, and working with empaths around the world to help them have a demonstrably better quality of life.

• 45
    Rose Rosetree says:

2. When it comes to reading auras — energetic literacy — I don’t think you’ll find too many people who do it as accurately, and in as much detail.

Especially when it comes to emotional and spiritual growth. Which is the sort of aura reading that would be very relevant to researching who is an empath and who isn’t, who is autistic and who isn’t.

• 46
    Rose Rosetree says:

3. Rigor is important in RES. I only stated what I wrote in this post because I have read auras in detail:

* Auras of people who are empaths.
    * Auras of people who aren’t empaths.
    * Auras of people with autism.
    * Auras of people without autism.
    * Auras of people with Asperger’s.
    * Auras of people without Asperger’s.

• 47
    Rose Rosetree says:

Granted, RES is not everyone’s cup of tea. You might not believe that my work has any value whatsoever. And I’d be the first to tell you, I don’t know everything.

However, I stand by what I’ve written here. And I’m not going to publish more attempts by you to negate this part of my life work.

This is my own personal blog. And it isn’t the blog of a hobbyist.

• 48
    Rose Rosetree says:

I get it. You desperately want people to be empaths… even when those people simply aren’t empaths.

Well, you’re welcome to that belief.

Might I suggest, when you go onto people’s blogs to convert others to your belief, show good enough manners to make your point once — or in your case twice — and then leave.

• 49
    Fiona Crowe says:

I’m can see you have offended many people with this particular blog, and with your subsiquent inflexibility, even years later when the scientific and medical communities have agreed to change their own diagnostic criteria .
    I will try and unsubscribe from the thread, if I can find the right link!

• 50
    Rose Rosetree says:

May many people be INSPIRED by the post here, and even more by the post that I just made live today:

“Autism Hope. Asperger’s Hope. RES Skills for the Bold.”

• 51
    Rose Rosetree says:

Of course, if any of you lurkers or regularly commenting Blog-Buddies are in a position to carry out a research study…

Please get in touch with me, because I welcome the first rigorous study of how Empath Empowerment® can improve quality of life for empaths.

One of many research studies I’d love to do related to RES.

• 52
    Tom says:

Rose, the vitriol in those comments was so intense and puzzling!

I’m not understanding why it’s a stretch to consider that autism is a different thing than empath gifts.

Even if they resemble each other in some ways, more definition and clarity is a helpful thing. But by some of those comments you’d think you had slurred all autistic people.

• 53
    Cynthia says:

I found these comments disturbing as well.

Honestly, accusing you of being an autist, Rose?

I’ve got one theory, based on parents of autistic kids and otherwise disabled kids. These are people I’ve known and they are not representative all people who have had to deal with something so challenging as autism or Asperger’s.

• 54
    Cynthia says:

But here it goes. Some parents of disabled children live in a fantasy world.

They want to mainstream their kids and deny there is a disability.

Consequently they’ll push really, really hard to mainstream those kids. Even if it causes misery and confusion in the classroom or on the school bus.

• 55
    Cynthia says:

Remember, I’m not saying this is typical at all.

Anyway, I do think that parents like this are full of rage that “other people won’t let them” mainstream their children. (And erase the disabilities.)

• 56
    Cynthia says:

So this might account for some of the rage that has been directed at you here at your blog.

I do think that “accusing” you of being rigid. And autistic! Must be related to some kind of desperation, like a firecracker waiting for a spark to set off an explosion.

• 57
    Tom says:

That is fascinating, Rose. Also sad.

I had assumed the upset was about parents noticing hypersensitivity and empathy in their children and being determined to label it “empath,” but the unreasonable rage makes more sense from this misguided perspective of “mainstreaming.

• 58
    Rose Rosetree says:

Thanks, CYNTHIA and TOM. Your perspective is appreciated.

• 59
    Anonymous says:

This topic is a touchy one for sure, so touchy I go anonymous for my comment.

• 60
    Anonymous says:

I believe it is as touchy as it is because there is still stigma around many disorders that affect the mind and having them can make a person’s life much harder and make it so people are less likely to listen to you.

• 61
    Anonymous says:

People sometimes get bullied for seeming different, and not listened to by some health professionals when they actually need help (there’s a TED talk about this and it has happened to me personally), and even worse things can happen.

• 62
    Anonymous says:

Ive been told by an autistc woman (doctor diagnosed) and read articles stating that many autistic women are misdiagnosed with mental illness.

• 63
    Anonymous says:

I was told by a woman who taught special ed that the nineties was the decade when teachers and other mainstream professionals were first given criteria to look for to see if a student might be on the spectrum (at least in the D.C. area).

• 64
    Anonymous says:

From what I understand many people with milder autism who were not children during the nineties and after may not have gotten help unless they had more severe symptoms.

• 65
    Anonymous says:

Here’s the part I fear to post, but I will. It has been suggested to me recently by someone with experience that I might have mild autism. To me the information I’ve read about it fits very well.

• 66
    Anonymous says:

I have talked with my therapist about this and and I plan on seeking evaluation.

Evaluation seems to me like a luxury as I’ve heard it can be costly but it would be very useful to know.

• 67
    Anonymous says:

Lastly I think that while aura reading can give you lots of information what’s going on with a person, it doesn’t always tell you everything about a person’s life.

This is not a critique by any means, just my personal observation. I could be wrong.

• 68
    Anonymous says:

I love RES and all it’s extraordinary capabilities

• 69
    Anonymous says:

BTW I know I’m definitely an empath.

Maybe a person can be both (?)

• 70
    Rose Rosetree says:

Thank you for this courageous series of comments, ANONYMOUS.

Including that #68.

About # 67, of course that’s true. For one thing, Rosetree ENERGY SPIRITUALITY is not energy medicine or energy psychology or allopathic medicine or psychological work, etc.

• 71
    Rose Rosetree says:

Regarding #69, no a person cannot be both. Period.

I wonder if you have read the main post here. Otherwise, you might read it. Or read it a little more slowly.

It’s crystal clear to people who have both Stage Three Energetic Literacy (or higher) plus skill at coaching empaths.

• 72
    Jennifer says:

Thank you Rose! You answered my questions very thoroughly – your insight and experience are much appreciated.

The reason I’m so interested where one healthcare/healing modality begins and another ends is I have fibromyalgia, bipolar, and anxiety (a trifecta! Lucky me! 😝), and I’m working on healing all three.

• 73
    Jennifer says:

I’ve discovered that there is overlap occasionally – meds are essential, but trauma also seats in the body and can trigger a mood episode; trauma that deposits Stuff, which is what RES helps with (thanks Isabella! 😄), such as an energetic subroutine that keeps me in an anxious/obsessive spiral.

• 74
    Jennifer says:

The human mind-body-spirit is a vast and complicated thing, connected in ways humans don’t yet understand, but also with very real limits and boundaries between the three.

You being the founder of such an essential modality, I love hearing your opinions on the matter.

• 75
    Rose Rosetree says:

Thanks, JENNIFER. From these comments you are up to the challenge of what you’ve got going on with brain chemistry — which can be worked with, especially through appropriate psychiatric medication.

And also with RES, which helps with emotional and spiritual growth.

This is how I prefer to think of the combination, actually.

• 76
    Rose Rosetree says:

At this point in my work with clients, I have identified 36 forms of STUFF. Including how to co-create permanent healing and PUT-IN to help the soul express more.

I’d like you to consider some alternate wording to “trauma that deposits Stuff, which is what RES helps with.” Because that isn’t really accurate.

• 77
    Rose Rosetree says:

One of the great things about your series of comments, JENNIFER, is that you’re living proof that someone can take psychiatric medication, and work with a mental health practitioner…

and also work with an RES practitioner. One doesn’t have to choose, necessarily!

• 78
    Rose Rosetree says:

All RES experts — both Apprentices and Practitioners — are very aware of our scope of practice.

We are NOT mental health practitioners. (With the exception of one RES Practitioner who became a hotshot therapist and supervisor of therapists long before she studied with me.)

• 79
    Jennifer says:

I read your previous post on autism and the comments too, and whoo boy there is a lot of anger floating around.

I’m sorry it was directed at you, that’s not fair; at the same time these people are in SO much pain.

• 80
    Jennifer says:

They’re desperate, angry, confused.

I know what it’s like to feel helpless in the face of devastation, and I have a lot of empathy (HA) for them.

• 81
    Jennifer says:

It’s easier to take it out on a faceless stranger on the internet than come to terms with your own helplessness.

It doesn’t make it right, but I understand the impulse.

• 82

Me too.

• 83
    Anon for this says:

My cousin is an empath who has been diagnosed as having Aspergers.

I remember when someone told me about the diagnosis and I was so dismayed.

If she did in fact have aspergers I would not have been dismayed at all!

• 84
    Anon for this says:

It would have been helpful for her to know more about herself and be able to avail herself of help and additional resources.

But knowing as I do that she’s actually an empath who is suffering immensely I can’t help but be disappointed that there is so little understanding of what an empath is.

• 85
    Anon for this says:

I also try to let people know, and I buy a lot of copies of the Empowered Empath to give to friends!

• 86
    Rose Rosetree says:

Anon for this — you’ve got excellent energetic literacy skills, so I know you’re right when you’ve researched your cousin and therefore know she’s an empath.

As for the diagnosing (or mis-diagnosing) psychologist, what to say?

I look forward to the day when mental health professionals learn at least full Stage Three Energetic Literacy. Then they can bring their learning into step with what auras clearly show.

• 87
    Rose Rosetree says:

All you Blog-Buddies have to do is compare this “Asperger’s Aura Reading of SHANE” to this aura reading of an empath, Chris Rock.

Such different things can happen with consciousness. Someone with autism or Asperger’s or someone who’s an empath? Totally different dynamics. To confuse them is to equate olives with basketballs and swimming pools. Honestly!

• 88
    Rose Rosetree says:

Most people are still illiterates when it comes to discerning consciousness.

You wait and see how that changes in The Age of Awakening, folks!

• 89
    Rose Rosetree says:

And, BTW, as long as I’m making controversial statements…

I wonder, have any of you read the last few comments and thought something like:

“Yeah, yeah, in The Age of Awakening, soon we’ll all be reading auras fluently and in detail. It will happen automatically.”

• 90
    Rose Rosetree says:

Or, “I know I’m close to Enlightenment. And when I’m finally in Enlightenment, I’ll be reading auras just fine. Don’t have to learn a thing.”

Well, with ideas like that you’ll be waiting for the rest of your life. Energetic literacy requires some learning, just like learning how to drive a car. This is a skill! A skill everybody reading these words can learn.

• 91
    Leo says:

It’s actually become somewhat common for non mental health professionals, ie laypeople, to casually “diagnose” people they disagree with of a mental health disorder.

• 92
    kim says:

Thanks for this discussion. I’ve wondered about it for some time. I read the Highly Sensitive People series of books when they first came out and i could really relate to them. It helped me a lot, personally. Then a few years after that someone called me an Empath and it seemed to describe my experiences so I latched on to it. When i researched it online though most of the suggestions for dealing with it seemed very much like a crock of New Age bull. I felt doomed to be this horrible Empath thing forever. Then I heard about the whole skilled vs. unskilled Empath. I ordered your books and it really helped me in some ways, which I really appreciated but in others not so much. It really frustrated me because I was following directions to a tee and actually doing the excercizes and work. I forgot about it for awhile. Years past and I became a mother to a HFA child. More ADHD than HFA. Anyways, learning about that it went into sensory disorders that go along with having such things. I ended up learning I had dyspraxia as a child and my parents didn’t tell me because back then they believed one would grow out of it. It would put me on par with a Highly Sensitive Person but for different reasons. I have not been diagnosed as HFA myself. However, dyspraxia often is co-morbid with both ADHD and Aspergers/HFA. The psychologist that diagnosed my son for the ADHD did advise me to go get an adult ADHD assessment as she believed that I had it too. She was a childs psychologist so could not diagnosis me as an adult. I am still waiting to get in for that just to see. I did take a test for adults for the HFA and i was two points away for having it but didn’t. I was told i was high traits but I also was told its hard to diagnose adults and women, especially properly. It made me wonder about the Empath part. The reason being there have been times that I did not seem to understand many other women. To me it was like they had been given some social/emotional knowledge that I seemed to lack. I could see a co-worker at work and notice that her body language said one thing, her facial expressions and fake smile that did not reach her eyes said something else. I often went with the body language that was the real indicator and would often bumble the social part of the interactions not realizing maybe she is just trying to get through the day at work. It took me awhile to learn to ignore it and just be professional but give some slack in the mood/interaction department for the day. So, knowing about my sons diagnosis and then realizing how hard it is to diagnose adult women it did make me think that perhaps I really wasn’t an Empath at all. I still found great insight and help reading your books. The different theories out there about extreme male and female brain and how it applies to autism are just that-theories. I do believe some autistics lack empathy but i also believe that some have hyper-empathy. Empathy from the cognitive to the relational in scientific form can be present in some forms of sociopathy but not both. That is extremely controversial in science. Even though Autism is different it is enough alike that Empathy in autism would be one or the other as well but not both. NT people with no other mental illness or brain wiring that would affect empathy would use both. That lead me to come to the conclusion that an Empath must be an NT or a Neuro-diverse person that does not have a condition that would affect either form of empathy in the brain. I came to this conclusion using logic.

• 93
    Rose Rosetree says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, KIM. As long as you’re at my blog, you might want to consider the series of books that I have written for empaths.

Might I recommend one in particular? It’s #1, and 3 additional books follow it for those who are interested. But this book alone could be all you need to make a huge difference. The link here will introduce you.

• 94
    Rose Rosetree says:

LEO, BTW, I really like your Comment #91.

Matches with my experience, for sure.

• 95
    Lilian says:

Oh Leo, this is so true, but something currently socially acceptable.

“It’s a tactic to discredit someone in a way that’s pretending to be compassionate.”

Also Kim, I like your conclusion. “I came to this conclusion using logic.”

That’s often the best way. 🙂

Thanks guys.