The Trap of Energy Pride in the Age of Awakening

Fascinated by reading energies? Or trapped by pride?
Fascinated by reading energies? Or maybe mostly trapped by pride?

Lately so many of my clients and Blog-Buddies have been loving their lives as never before. And the reason is simple. They are learning to commit to their human lives, relish the moment and savor the juicy details. They have become increasingly effective, playing in the realms of speech and action.

This is the glory of human life in the Age of Awakening. If we stay interested in human life, without trying to fancy it up with energies, we can make that human life GREAT.

In this new age, with its different vibrational patterns, it has become so easy for us to move our awareness away from the human…

into astral-level energies…

which correspond to the subconscious mind…

and doing this can make us feel oh-so-special.

Energy is our shiny new toy in the Age of Awakening (a.k.a The Age of Aquarius, The Shift Age, The Aquarian Age).

Yet a little bit of random energy reading goes a long, long way. Which is why I advocate taking just 20 Daily Minutes of Technique Time, Tops. When you combine this approach with the healing techniques of Energy Spirituality, it is quite astounding how much a person’s life can improve.

Meanwhile, though, I would like to report on a recent conversation that I had with JOE. Quite classic for this new Age of Awakening!  Today’s teaching tale could become downright educational — for you, although not necessarily for him. As you’ll soon read.

JOE’s special secret, his new pride and joy

There we were, chatting at a Starbucks, enjoying face time. Well, JOE started telling me about how he loves to read people’s energies.

As he began to describe some of these insights, I noticed, uh-oh!

1. JOE’s energy insights were pretty basic, clearly Stage One Energetic Literacy, the beginner’s stage.
  2. JOE was quite thrilled with his energy-flavored insights. He believed he was learning “Everything.” A superior insight.
  3. A lifestyle was developing for JOE; he was dipping in and out of reading energies all day long.

Yes, JOE was responding like any typical human in this new Age of Awakening.

Of  course, it has become super-easy for him to dip in and out of energy awareness.

Energy is our shiny new toy in the Age of Awakening. But just because we have talent for reading energy does not mean that we have developed SKILLS.

JOE sure hadn’t. And he had no clue about any of this.

I had a choice to make

Bear in mind, JOE wasn’t a Blog-Buddy or a client. He knew nothing about my work with Rosetree Energy Spirituality, except for a little bit that he had heard from a mutual friend.

JOE was from the social side of my life, one of those human-level friendships. More precisely, JOE was a well-recommended acquaintance from my neighborhood. I hoped that he might become a friend.

And now the choice was clear to me: Was I going to step into my role as world server and teacher? Or would it be better to smile and nod and say what he expected, like “That’s nice.” Or “Oh, how special you must be.”

In this case, I decided to offer education. That’s something I seldom do these days in my social life with neighbors or folks at the gym, etc. Still, I wasn’t the one who had introduced the subject of reading random energies, so I made the decision, even if it might squash my tender new friendship with JOE.

Aiming for maximum tact, I said, “Because of the work I do, I have a perspective on what you were just saying, JOE. Would you like me to share it, or shall we talk about something else?”

When JOE agreed to the share, I gave it to him. Ooookaaaaay.

Three Stages of Energetic Literacy, Energy Hygiene, the works

As tactfully as possible, I explained to JOE about the three stages of energetic literacy.

How he had a good beginning, yet he could do better. How he could gain skill to supplement his talent. In which case, he would gain loads more information, and it would help him in life even more.

Also, I mentioned the concept of energy hygiene. Just a sentence. Here I’ll give you a longer version:

What is energy hygiene?

In a nutshell, energy hygiene means it is not good for people to dip in and out of reading energy all day long. (So tempting, admittedly, in this new Age of Awakening.)

To develop good energy hygiene:

1. Know that reading energy is not a superior version of regular human life. It is a supplement. And a choice.
  2. Become very clear about whether you are in technique or not.
  3. Mostly, refrain from doing techniques that involve energy.
  4. Whenever you finish, go back to paying attention to human life and not energy.

Wow, was JOE offended by my teensy mention of energy hygiene!

His manner changed — voice, facial expression, body language. We would have no more lovely times together at Starbucks, for sure.

In retrospect, I got it.

For many newbies, reading energies is like discovering sex

Hey, remember puberty? Back in the day, new feelings would stir within you. Sexual energy was awakening. For teens, that becomes the shiny new toy.

And woe to the grownup who says:

How wonderful! Sex is great, thrilling, sacred. Watch out, though, because there are important things to learn about sex that you don’t necessarily know. Like:

• How to prevent pregnancy.
  • Why it’s important to balance your raging hormones with the instant intimacy sex brings.
  • Which behaviors will help you to show respect for your sexiness.
  • And how to not get hurt.

True, each person’s sexual energy is inherently beautiful. It’s a kind of talent. Well, in life we are wise to combine talent with knowledge and skill, right?

Know what you’re in for, sharing your wisdom about energetic literacy

Blog-Buddies, maybe some of you have already learned this the hard way. In this new Age of Awakening, many newbies are so very proud about having discovered energy.

Much like sex, it feels very personal, as though you were the first person in the world to discover this deeply intimate thing.

Some people may need to explore all the way into spiritual addiction, falling for The Romance of The Astral. Others will not.

While others may prefer doing everything they can to avoid the new energy access, self-protection which leads to spiritual shutdown.

All this amounts to a sacred choice for each person here at Earth School.

Personally, I teach and help to offer alternatives. Ultimately I respect each person’s free will. I expect that, in the end, everyone will have a beneficial educational experience.

So here’s my advice to you, Blog-Buddies. You have every right to speak up one time. Just once.

It may change your relationship, so consider yourself warned. Decide if you’re willing to risk that.

If you should speak up, know about the trap of energy pride in the Age of Awakening.

Should a negative response result, don’t be bamboozled by the pride aspect. If I hadn’t known better, hearing the defensiveness and contempt in JOE’s voice might have made me feel guilty.

Okay, let’s end today’s post with something that you may consider humorous. I do

In many cords of attachment these days I am finding cordees with massive pride in how great they are, how wise, reading energies.

I’ll end this quote with one quip from my client GLADYS. When asking for background, part of cutting her cord of attachment to a long-time friend, she described him this way:

“He feels he has developed his own psychic understanding of his psychic…ness.”

Is that hilarious or what?

Ooh, feeling special in that certain Stage One Energetic Literacy way.

Funny thing, I’ve helped many folks develop Stage Three Energetic Literacy. By which time, guess what? Reading energ is no longer a matter of pride. Energetic literacy has become a useful tool, just like the Gutenberg literacy that allowed you to read today’s post.

34 thoughts on “The Trap of Energy Pride in the Age of Awakening”

• 1
    Rosanna a Tufts says:

ROFL! Do you know how appropriate this is, astrologically, that you posted it today? The Moon is in a Lunar Mansion of Pisces that is symbolized by a lightning strike of inspiration, representing a glimpse of ultimate reality. People who have this placement natally, often think they have all the answers, and can be very arrogant about it (being ruled by Jupiter). But it’s JUST a glimpse! You still have more probing work to do, after the Lightning strike, to fully understand the nature of that ultimate reality.

• 2
    Lilian says:

Do you know what kind of psychic I’m really needing? A car psychic. If you could find a cat psychic that could convince cats why they shouldn’t sit on laptops, they would become millionaires. I think about this often…

• 3

ROSANNA and LILIAN, good to hear from you.

LILIAN, you did mean a cat psychic, not a car psychic, right?

Of course there are many excellent animal communicators….

• 4

Rather than studying random energies, I wonder if it might be more useful for folks who don’t have skills for energetic literacy to study sweat instead.

Yes, sweat. Human. And sweat interpretation is unlikely to become addictive, right?

Here’s a link to an article about how happiness is communicated at the level of ARMPITS.

• 5
    Happy says:

I sometimes wonder if the desire to read many many people has more to do with that people think that it is uncommon.

I wonder what would happen if people knew that it is something that everybody can do, just not in the same way.

• 6

HAPPY, I do agree with you that one motivation for being sooooooo excited about reading energy now is that the person thinks, “It’s just me. I have made this dicovery on my own.”

That’s one reason why someone might object to developing skills as a “student.”

It really was shocking to me how a tactfully worded, three-minute explanation about basics to JOE… brought up such a defensive rage.

• 7

Of course, this is where the analogy to sex breaks down. As teens, we appreciate that others are discovering sex too.

While the newly energy aware often believe they are the only ones. Natural born psychics, and very special!

• 8
    Sarah says:

HAHA,Rose! You are cracking me up. Random energy pseudo-literacy, sex, and sweaty armpits… Sounds like a recipe for one heck of an evening 😉

• 9
    Sarah says:

In seriousness, though, YES. You have really nailed it regarding the personal/intimate nature of these things.

I am again so grateful to have found you when I did because I have definitely been prone to exactly this sort of pride… And it does feel very personal, like someone telling me that they know better how to explore sexuality.

• 10
    Sarah says:

But now I know better than to conflate self-authority with skills, so when I feel that pridefulness welling up in myself, I give it a wise smile and say:

“Aren’t you cute, and so perceptive! But let’s keep studying for now, and not make any rash judgments, shall we?”

And it soothes my ego enough to let me keep developing skills without crushing my self-confidence in a field where I am still kind of a baby!

• 11
    Sarah says:

I am hoping that as this sort of thing becomes more “normal” and commonplace, it will become less taboo to talk about exercising good judgment about when/where/how to use it.

• 12
    Zelda says:

There is such ignorance about energy in general out in the world. These types of reactions never cease to amaze me, though.

I’ve had many along the lines of the other person talking on and on about energy (or astrology or feng shui, etc.) and assuming that I’m thinking exactly the same way about it that they are.

Now I just do my best to avoid such conversations!

• 13
    Zelda says:

I think that one issue is what I’d describe as a fairly typical American-style impatience with spending time learning anything in depth.

• 14
    Zelda says:

I ran into this so often when I was studying classical Chinese feng shui, which is actually highly complex.

There were loads of folks hawking their services, claiming to be feng shui “masters,” when they’d taken a weekend workshop.

Those who are professionals and rigorous have a name for this: “McFengShui.”

• 15
    Zelda says:

I’d hazard a guess that, in part, JOE was hit by the realization that to really use his new toy properly would involve a fair amount of learning and effort. So down came the wall.

So much easier to toss out fun little bits of newly discovered knowledge!

• 16
    Zelda says:

It’s this cutting off, refusing to acknowledge the reality of the other person in the conversation, that is quite astonishing to me.

Can you imagine a similar scenario involving French?

JOE picks up a few words of French and is gleefully sharing them with GLADYS, who reveals that she majored in French in college.

I guess the equivalent would be that JOE would then stop speaking with GLADYS!

It’s the defensiveness in the face of facts without judgement that is amazing to me.

• 17

McFengShui? Wow, ZELDA.

Thanks so much for what you have written, and you also, SARAH.

• 18

That energy pride is sneaky. It arises in so many forms.

For instance, today I had a session with a student, JOE. Turns out, one of the biggest reasons for his worries lately has been reading energies on people, random picking up energies.

• 19

We discussed this a bit, and JOE felt quite proud of himself that he had been doing this.

I helped him to understand that this sort of thing is fine for Technique Time. Beyond that, it’s hazardous.

Because in this newish Age of Aquarius, EVERYONE can slip-slide into reading energies. That doesn’t mean it is good for us.

• 20

The other aspect for JOE, and perhaps others of you who are reading now, is that JOE didn’t feel that he had any choice.

Energies would just “Show themselves” to him.

“Hey, Dude,” I told him (to paraphrase). “You have a choice about that. Noticing random energies doesn’t just happen. At least, it doesn’t have to happen.”

• 21

Are all you Blog-Buddies clear by now that you can position your awareness productively?

Not in some fakey artificial way.

Not to always be available to receive psychic messages.

Not to do the equivalent of wearing a tin foil hat, all the better to receive messages from outer space and the beings who dwell there. 😉

• 22

Many of our blog posts help you with this, including this Hot Topics Top 10 List about Technique Time:

• 23
    Lilian says:

A car psychic would be good too. You could communicate with your car when you can’t remember where it is, or when it’s not sounding right, but you’re not sure what’s wrong.

• 24
    Lilian says:

Well for me, from about 2007 onwards I was a lot more aware of “picking up stuff” from others.

I knew that I had to investigate “energy”.

However, it wasn’t a lifelong interest. This just felt really inconvenient and confusing.

• 25
    Lilian says:

I couldn’t believe it was all part of my reality.

How could I make it relevant to my life and my life plans?

How does this fit with my self image?

Isn’t this more for self pitying wackos with no self identity than for regular people?

• 26
    Lilian says:

I can imagine that for many people this awareness feels thrust upon them. They may actually resent it in some way. Hence spiritual shutdown.

Honestly, if I could shutdown, I would.

• 27
    Lilian says:

I can understand the reason why people would want to think that they have quickly mastered things. Bravado and arrogance is a tried and tested human way we deal with things that scare us.

Just ask teenagers.

If we can’t shut it down, then we might want to package it up as quickly as possible. We put on our short, tight skirt and carry right on, pretending we know everything, just to date some awful guy.

• 28
    Lilian says:

I guess that there are some people who would be energy aware in both the age of pisces and aquarius. Maybe Rose would be that kind of soul. A natural priestess type person.

But to have this all-new experience may be too much for most!

• 29
    Lilian says:

Even if we do become more skilled, then things aren’t going to be the same again.

There’s an awareness that has to be managed.

I kind of miss the density and the silence. Even when not doing anything empath or energy wise, existing as human feels different now.

• 30
    Lilian says:

All the while, we’re still dealing with some basic civilisation problems.

Rose mentioned LGBT rights. We also have massive gender inequality and some basic time-critical issues about not wearing out the planet.

• 31

Exceptionally insightful, LILIAN.

I did get a laugh, though, at the teenager commentary part of your Comment 27:

“We put on our short, tight skirt and carry right on, pretending we know everything, just to date some awful guy.”

• 32

I don’t think I have ever owned a short, tight skirt.

Although there were definitely episodes of being desperate to date some guy who turned out to be awful, later.

So the question is, did I really live as a teenager? Will I reclaim some lost years if I run out and purchase a short, tight skirt? (Laughing, definitely.)

• 33
    Cathy says:

Armpit happiness? hahaha and energy pride, I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the laugh, and I’m sure I have had my many moments of energy pride, but this was back before I knew about energetic literacy or empaths…so I guess I was just prideful and stubborn ;P lol age and experience helps with some of these things a little too, at least in my case. Remaining teachable has definitely been a big life lesson for me. Just the laugh I needed before bed, night everyone!

• 34
    David FB says:

McEnergy and McHealers, now at a corner near you.

Closely related is spiritual pride. Pride in spiritual experiences, had in the past. Or pride in collected information from books and workshops.

It’s one thing when such people come to your web site, looking for background. It’s quite a different dynamic when you’re new neighbor or forum commenter and they want to strut their stuff. Then there can be saving face.