Conformity. Lessons from My Garden.

Volunteer flowers gone wild
Volunteer flowers gone wild

This summer three volunteer plants in my garden have offered me cosmos, lovely little blossoms of pink sweetness.

Last year I planted a packet of cosmos seeds. Enjoyed them. Let them go in the fall, with appreciation. After all, they are annuals.

Mostly I grow perennials, loving the rhythms of return, my chosen goodness coming back year after year.

This year I had other plans than cosmos for that patch of garden. The boxwoods are doing nicely, especially since they’re punctuated with sweet, small spikes of liriope.

When those volunteers came up, they surprised me. They didn’t fit in with my plan. Yet how could I resist? As you might expect of someone named “Rose Rosetree,” I’m a bit of a flower freak.

Yes, I would keep these unexpected blessings of the floral variety.

Still, as the delicate little startings began, I developed an expectation. Since I was accepting these volunteers, all of them would conform to my standards. Just like the photographs on my packet of seeds, every specimen would be perfect. Each would look like the other, a nicely matched set.

Good Luck with That!

Within days, two out of three of these cosmos grew alarming (for a perfectionist gardener anyway).

1. One plant developed just as expected. The size I expected. Little buds forming nicely, too.
  2. Another grew the same size but without any buds. What was up with that?
  3. While the third was beginning to look seriously like a weed:  No buds. Even worse, it grew four times the size of my primly perfect little volunteer #1.

These flowers aren’t like my clients or students, where I care about each one without exception. Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES) isn’t just skills. They are skills applied. To individual people. Of  course, interest and respect are required; I learn to appreciate every single client, quirks and all. Otherwise, I don’t make more appointments.

But these were plants, for heaven’s sake. Recreational plants, chosen for beauty. Okay, not chosen, but accepted.We had garden appointments, for sure.

Three cosmos plants, turning out to be less and less like what I expected. Yet I could afford to see what developed. I became curious. Reminiscent of a recent conversation we had here about spontaneity versus structure (For this see the comments more than the original article)!

Spontaneous curiosity was stronger than my structured ideals about floral conformity.

What I Got

A month later, Cosmos #1 brings forth a reliable, wonderful bouquet of bright pink flowers. They sway gently in the wind and bravely bend to the rain.

Cosmos #3 has grown somewhat, yet no flowers seem to be forthcoming. Still, I keep it around. No expectation of  flowers, just enjoyment for those brambly, lacy leaves. Besides, it adds a fine contrast, because right between that and Cosmos #1, ta da!

That Cosmos #2 is living large, a floral superstar. Five times the height and five times the flowers.

Not reliable, kind of wild. A strong seed, apparently. Going its own way, quite definitely.

In the Photo at the Top of this Post

You can see Cosmos #1 and Cosmos #3. While Cosmos #2 doesn’t show, given the camera angle.

Actually it doesn’t show much to the casual passerby, glancing at my little garden.

Yet all three plants have taught me something. Taught me lessons about conformity, predictability, and when expectations doesn’t matter at all.

• Gardening, I believe in free will. As in the rest of my life, this gardener takes responsibility for her choices, following up, solving problems.
  • Determinism doesn’t make for a very interesting garden, unless you are partial to weeds. (Yes, I’m comparing excessive surrender to fate being like… cultivating a garden full of weeds.)
  • What about free will plus some meant-to-be? That’s how I wind up living. Because the unexpected outcomes can be savored as everyday co-creation with God.

And why would ideas about conformity be required for that?

47 thoughts on “Conformity. Lessons from My Garden.”

• 1
    Elaine says:

Love your flowers and their colors.

I love any flowers that show up. I have bright red roses that are blooming now, and my gorgeous purple clematis in two shades, deep and the size of a dish platter and light purple smaller and pastel. Hydrangeas in white and blue.

I have lots of geraniums and some baby carnations, but my favorite are the red roses. I planted them but they pretty much do what they like.

• 2
    Lilian says:

Yup, I know what you re getting at. You both have to take full responsibility while also being completely open to God s plans. It s like we have to create the channels, the reality, for God to flow through.

• 3

Wonderful summation there, LILIAN.

As for you, gardener ELAINE, why am I not surprised that the Enlightenment Life List woman doesn’t just paint a barn that has become a tourist attraction, create wearable art on silk, publish books with amazing mandalas, have a whole community around your gorgeous romance novels (as Grace Brannigan), take extraordinary photographs, keep chickens (like Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe).

No, that isn’t enough. You also grow all that? (Laughing.)

• 4
    David B says:

Here’s a little clip on conformity I saw this morning. It’s worth noting the metronomes are on a suspended table. The larger movement encourages the resonance. But interesting.

• 5
    David B says:

What has surprised me as it became noticeable was how distinct the personalities of individual plants are. (which is why the variation in expression – small choices add up, as they say)

Also how socially connected. For many kinds of plants, its nice for them to have more than one. It may improve the laws of nature for them too.

• 6
    Julie says:

I drive by some gardens in housing developments that are in straight and rigid rows, perfectly measured and spaced apart.

Even the plants themselves are exactly equal in size. It does look perfect, but not so interesting.

Maybe with the people too, they are the more interesting for their quirks?

• 7

Blog-Buddies, how much I’m enjoying these comments.

DAVID, the sort of thing you mentioned in Comment 5 is a pretty clear tipoff that you are a Plant Empath.

Of course, check out the description if you haven’t yet, in “The Empowered Empath.” (Expanded edition has more details than the Quick & Easy edition.)

• 8

Flowers may be the purest expression in surface-level human reality of an aura.

In other words, if you will do aura reading of a flower, like one of the cosmos pictured here at the top of the post, you can experience its:

* Individuality
    * Its consciousness
    * How it can help you, personally
    * Its song

There is a really fun technique in “Aura Reading Through All Your Senses” for reading the auras of flowers.

Anyone can do that one, of course, You don’t have to be an empath to have the most amazing experience of one flower at a time.

• 9

Hi Rose
    I debated that one. Largely this is because I became much more conscious of this stuff after the Unity shift where you become (recognize you are) whatever the attention is on.

And then there is the refined perception in there. But Unity is in consciousness, subtler values in the aura reading (refinement), and empath skills in what I call the 7th sense. It’s a curious exercise to separate them out. The parts of the experience.

It will be very interesting to see how you lay it out after your Unity shift. Your experience of these values is much more developed. 😉

• 10
    David B says:

Also – I know a plant empath. They can tell all about what a plant has to offer for healing, that the antidote for a poisonous plant is always within a few feet, and so forth.

And I understand a field or forest can be like a chorus of plant songs. But I’m less sound attuned and have never developed the first, if it’s there.

• 11

DAVID B., how fun!

Sure, I’ll send you an email when I am using the technques of Energy Spirituality while in that higher state of consciousness.

If email or I still exist. 😉

Meanwhile, ever the teacher, plant empaths don’t necessarily have those particular specialties.

That’s another reason to look up that short chapter in “The Empowered Empath.” If it’s there, you have it. If it’s not, you can’t develop it. Empath gifts are like that.

• 12

BTW, you know another plant empath.

Not so fancy as your friend.

It’s me, Rose, the unfancy plant empath. I have never found a plant antidote in my life.

We don’t all have identical perceptions or interests, not the plant empaths. Not ANY of the 15 types of empath.

So, once again, DAVID B., you have brought us all an educational moment here at “Deeper Perception Made Practical”!

• 13
    David B says:

Well Rose, I’m sure both you and email will still exist. Such things unfold naturally, from a few months to a few years typically. At least from the examples I’ve seen.

Fastest I’ve seen is 3 days from Self Realization to Unity. Longest, for a long term meditator, is 7 years.

Someone who comes to this unexpectedly, with no culturing may take a bit longer. Or not. 😉

• 14
    Sarah says:

David, thank you for all your comments here! So much fun to hear your perspective given all that you’ve experienced, both the human things and the big shifts of consciousness. 🙂

Your comment #9 is very interesting. I wonder what would show through aura reading on the subject of empath ability in photos of you before and after your Unity shift? Please share if you ever explore this! It could be fun learning for all of us. 😀

• 15
    avid reader says:

Am also a plant empath and studies flower essences for may years. And each flower does have a vibrational quality and healing quality.

• 16
    avid reader says:

Susan Weed and other herbalists have commented on how plant “volunteers” often sign up for a healing purpose.

Cosmos as a flower essence (and therefore, the vibrational essence of the plant) is known to support speaking and communication (I think I need to take some!!!) Different companies have slightly different definitions.

• 17
    avid reader says:

Rose,

With a name like yours, it would make perfect sense that you are a plant empath!

Being a plant empath for me is an incredibly joyful experience. For me, when I experience oneness with a plant, it can be absolute bliss!

• 18
    avid reader says:

My mother often tells the story about when I was not yet three years old and she asked me once where she found me, I responded with “in Licia’s garden”. Licia was a neighbor with a beautiful lush garden and when I was little I would stand underneath and in the midst of the tall plants of her lush and lavish garden.

• 19
    avid reader says:

It is an incredibly beautiful thing that plants hold so much consciousness that they can show up where there is someone who could benefit from their support! I find this amazing and awe inspiring. What makes me marvel is that it appears that plants show up not just as volunteers, but as healer volunteers! That this is their humble, often unseen and acknowledged way that they are working to help with the healing and evolution of humanity.

• 20
    David B says:

It’s interesting to consider how our inclinations and circumstances effect our relationship with our gifts. Do they get developed, repressed, ignored, or lay dormant?

• 21

Hi Sarah
    On that I agree with Rose. We’re born with empath gifts. Changing stages of consciousness will not change such gifts.

We may well become more conscious of them. But empath gifts are quite distinct from the Oneness in consciousness of Unity.

• 22
    David B says:

The challenge I’ve had is that I didn’t become skilled prior so I didn’t have an experience baseline to say this is empath oneness and this is Unity oneness.

One of the curious things about stage changes is also that even old memories are now all in the new context. So its harder to remember how it was without that.

• 23
    David B says:

Always useful to get skilled sooner rather than later.

There are other kinds of gifts that may come online as the development progresses. Depends on the need. But again, distinct from empath gifts.

• 24
    Sarah says:

Thanks for your replies, David!

Especially in #22: “even old memories are now all in the new context.” I find that totally fascinating to think about!

But it also makes perfect sense to me that it would be that way.

• 25

Way back when (1994?!) I had my first “gifts of soul” reading with you and you told me I have a gift for working with plant devas.

I don’t know how to develop that gift yet–I live in an apartment with no place for a garden, not even a porch.

• 26

But I have had gardens previously, and what I do know is that walking by/through flower gardens is so refreshing/rejuvenating to me.

In my new job, I am lucky because the Garden Club in our area has planted a really beautiful garden all around the back and sides of the library.

It is so rejuvenating to me to spend my 15 minute break walking around the curvy paths through that garden.

• 27

I also walk to work past several gardens–such a soul-thrilling and nurturing experience.

The best gardens are always messy and wild and organic in my opinion.

• 28

I meant, 2004!!!

• 29

Hi Sarah
    re#24. And theres layers to that as well. There is the change in stage which changes the perspective of everything in experience, including the past, memory, etc. This is also true when we change stages growing up, like becoming a teenager or adult.

Just consider now when you remember something that happened when you were 8 years old. You remember it from where you are now, not how you would remember it at the time.

• 30
    Kira says:

Kylie, I’m totally with you on messy, wild, organic gardens!

I like the way they look, but I’ve also found that when I weed, I keep feeling like I’m discriminating against perfectly healthy plants that only had the misfortune of growing in the “wrong” place.

• 31

Kira, ha ha! I can relate to that problem. Weeds are just plants we don’t know the purpose for.

• 32

when I walk by people’s houses and gardens, as I do every day on my 35 minute walk to work, it also amuses me to notice which houses have the beautiful messy gardens, and which have the hideous military-short lawn look, with manicured shrubs and plants (if any) rigidly set in a row.

Those houses (surprise surprise) tend to go with the ultra- conservative car stickers and political signs. You can tell so much about people by the way they garden

• 33

another thought on gardens–I read recently in a book about city planning that scientific studies have shown that people are happier when they walk by gardens. T

he more biodiversity in an area, the happier people are. Conversely, barren areas lead to unhappiness.

One of the many reason low income housing units may be so problematic, is that the lack of biodiversity (no plant life) is actually stressful for humans to be around. It makes me want to plant flowers everywhere.

• 34
    David B says:

The comments were misbehaving when i posted #29 – it disappeared so I didn’t post the rest of the layers. I pasted the comments into a text file for now and that morphed into an article. So I’ll finish the article and post a link here instead. 😉

• 35
    David B says:

My mother was an avid gardener. When she was obliged to move into a care home (after assisted living), we thought she’d quite enjoy her view of the gardens right outside her window.

Instead, it stressed her out because she couldn’t go out and weed and tidy.

• 36
    David B says:

Later, she moved to the front of the building. Being able to watch traffic actually improved her cognitive skills. She still enjoyed going for a walk in the gardens, but it was better they were not so close. 🙂

• 37

Interesting, David! It does sound like torture for a gardener to not be able to get out and tend a garden!

• 38
    Kira says:

Actually, Kylie, I do know the purpose of at least a couple of our weeds–food!

We have dandelions, and I recently tried dandelion jelly–yum! And we apparently also have coriander growing wild. I don’t particularly like coriander (also called cilantro), but one of our neighbors does and asked if she could pick it from our yard.

• 39
    Kira says:

Then there’s the fact that in most of the front-facing “yard” of our property, grass is a weed. We want ground cover, not grass! We had planted pink primroses, and got all kinds of compliments when they bloomed, but the non-primroses took over this year and we haven’t been able to re-establish them.

• 40

Hi Kira
    Don’t suppose the coriander tastes a little like soap to you? The reason I ask is if so, it’s probably genetic. One of the gazillion little details they tell you with a genetic test.

They don’t say this, but it’s like genetic traits have side effects. You get this quality but that also interacts with this other thing to create that effect too.

• 41
    Kira says:

I don’t know, I haven’t tasted soap in a long time… 😉

Seriously, though, I’m not sure I could describe the taste or what I don’t like about it. I like it just fine as an ingredient in stuff, as long as it doesn’t become one of the major flavors.

• 42
    Kira says:

It’s interesting you mentioned genetices, because information about my genetics is going to play an important role in my life in about 3 weeks (when the test results come back). I need to find out if I have the breast cancer gene.

• 43

Hi Kira
    You may know this but even if you have the gene does not make it destined. I have the genes for several issues that have never shown up and are unlikely to now.

It’s also worth noting that cancer is largely a western lifestyle issue. There are specific lifestyle things that dramatically increase or reduce risk factors. Took a course recently that explored the research on a lot of this.

• 44
    David B says:

The above pingback is the article that ended up as a result of the discussion here on memory. Thanks, Sarah!

• 45
    Kira says:

David, re comment 43, yes, I knew that. The testing was requested because I already have breast cancer and knowing whether or not I have the gene will presumably change the odds of recurrence.

• 46
    David B says:

Ah, sorry to hear that. Glad you have the support of this community. And I’m sure you’ve done your research so I won’t spout off on my course.

• 47
    Kira says:

I am honored to have the support, not just of this community, but of several others I’m involved in. I feel very privileged.

And I mean that in both the good and bad senses of “privileged”; I know there are a lot of people who don’t have access to the kind of care I’m getting and/or don’t have family and friends to be there for them.