Being Virginia Woolf

If a woman could be a better writer, or more beautiful, than Virginia Woolf, who would she be?

Since high school, this writer has been my version of American Idol, only she won the singing contest in print and for real. No writer since has impressed me more, with her distinctive combination of human compassion and the liveliest senses that ever graced a page.

Here I am, the Woolf admirer, all grown up. Some of my high school buddies have even retired. Not me. I’m having the time of my life, with this blog community sharing my passion for Deeper Perception.

So many of you have made requests for me to read some of your heroes. I realized, I want to begin the series with this offbeat choice of my own. Not all of you graduated from college as literature majors, but I hope you all will enjoy my two-part tribute to Virginia Woolf.

First comes a Skilled Empath Merge. To do one, you must be born as an empath —which is the case for 1 in 20 Americans overall and, I suspect, a wildly higher proportion of literature majors and writers. I teach empaths to become skilled, which means using awareness to turn one’s inborn gift(s) off most of the time. If you happen to have a spare time machine that you could donate to me, one of my first journeys would be to visit Virginia and teach these techniques to her. It could have made all the difference.

Here, cheerfully and with relative sanity, I will to use this photo as a transport opportunity to jump inside the skin of Virginia Woolf, then jump back out and report. Sure beats the Hokey Pokey!

Root Chakra Databank for Presence in the room

Virginia is so easy to notice, brimming with feminine energy, with a much higher proportion of this than most people have, some 80% of her life force energy. Hers is a strong presence, both highly intellectual and with fine-tuned emotions. By the time of this photo, Woolf has privately struggled with sorrow in so many ways that her root chakra is layered with scar tissue.

Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Intellectual Growth

Sparkle and lightheartedness are in evidence, much like the icing on a cake. And this is one huge layer cake of an intellect.
Virginia’s thinking is almost frighteningly capable, stunningly comprehensive. Talking with kindred spirits the writer is at her very best, engaging, adept, in control. By turns she can bestow kindness or send out a precisely calibrated quantity of sting.

Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Intellectual Flow when writing (Specialized)

Here Woolf reminds me of Marilyn Monroe. Both artists pushed themselves to give, when working, giving everything they had available… and maybe a bit more. Where Woolf differs is that, while engaged in her art, she was determined that her work be worthy. A small part of her stands outside the rest of that intellect, constantly judging if what she is writing will be considered good enough. That’s a tough way to write, creating a subtle strain throughout her mind-body-spirit system.

Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Self-Awareness

Such a range of feelings shows here, with a finely tuned perceptiveness. Yet there is nothing restrained or refined about the way
Virginia treats her own emotions. She slaps herself around, inwardly, as if disciplining a stubborn child.

Third Eye Chakra Databank for Connection to Spiritual Source

Deep spiritual connection is evident. In a way, this makes the emotional difficulties all the more puzzling, they stand as such a contrast to her effortless way of connecting in life. “Why doesn’t everyone experience this?” One can almost hear the question repeating, and it is agonizing. Equally painful is the inner pattern that sounds like “When my spiritual life is so sublime, how can my human experience feel so horribly disconnected?” Of all Woolf’s empath gifts –and they are numerous— — what shows most strongly is her Spiritual Oneness.

Fellow empaths, join in now, then comment at will! Anyone comment, actually. And, especially, if you have studied Woolf in depth, whadda you think?

Ryan says:

Her aura is certainly very interesting. The pain in her root chakra is heavy to the point that at first I did not believe that she is an empath. If she had the tools available that we do today (cord removal, Emotional Freedom Techniques or other forms of energy psychology, et cetera) she probably could have removed that pain with relative ease. However, I am guessing that if she had removed that pain she would have had to consciously increase her efforts to stay grounded, otherwise that pain she removed probably would have been replaced with something equally grounding in an unpleasant way since, as you say in Empowered by Empathy, we can choose to ground other selves or grounding will be forced upon us.

Colleen says:

Dear Rose,

This what I most love about the blog and the ezine, for that matter. I also love the perceptiveness and sheer talent that Virginia Wolf has inspired me with over the years. Her spiritual oneness is so evident.

As wonderful as it is to see the “big picture”, she seems to constantly noting the contrast, as you pointed out, but to the point of it being frustrating…causing her to be that more puzzled and hard on her human self. It is as if she had the “picture within a picture” TV set installed..and could sense what was occurring in each frame simultaneously. That would be hard to deal with.

I would love to see you comment, aurically speaking, on Elizabeth Taylor’s portrayal of her in, “Whose Afraid of Virginia Wolf?”

Rose, you articulate yourself so well when you do these readings. Virginia would like it, I’m sure.

Dana says:

I haven’t studied Woolf, but I felt what it must have been like for her to write. She was so empathic, she could feel what was really going on with people and her environment down to much finer levels. I wonder how someone could notice as many nuances as she did in the world and not be a writer. And when she wrote, I think that she was able to almost slow time down or slow down her experience of the world and sift through all of the details and energies that she perceived, play with the richness and possibilities of language, and make her perceptions come alive with words. Maybe this goes along with what you referred to Rose, as “constantly judging” or making sure that her work was “worthy.” So yes her intellect played a strong role in her writing.

At her root chakra it also seemed to me like she could feel not noticed, like she was so aware of the world around her that she might actually seem invisible. Is that way off?

Rose’s techniques for turning empathy off could have made such a difference for her! She would still have been a great writer but would have had a lot more personal power. Her power center at the third chakra felt really small to me.

“VANESSA” wrote:

I was quite moved by the empathic merge reading of Virginia Woolf.

I suppose on some level I relate to that huge intellect, even though the quality of our intellects may differ.

I think I have so much compassion for her – and of course admiration and respect.

Her self-condemnation, almost self-flagellation, the tenderness so evident in her writing yet her lack of tenderness and gentleness with herself – slapping herself around inside instead of treating herself with kindness.

Woolf was so ahead of her time, both as a woman and as a writer.

It’s rare for someone – woman or man – to have an intellect as finely tuned, delicate and yet powerful – and gargantuan in size – as hers, but also combined with that incredibly empathic heart. It made for an incredible writer, but not always an easy human life.

I wish she had been as personally happy as the joy her literature brought so many others in her day and beyond.

Dave says:

I think that many if not most of the great writers have been empaths. Being able to understand people on a deeper level, to actually experience what it is like to be another person, is an indispensable gift to be able to understand humanity, and then to craft convincing characters. Henry James is one writer who off the top of my head I would bet my bottom dollar was an empath. Oh and sometimes when I’m bored I read through the plethora of fascinating and free articles on the blog!

DAVE, I’m so glad you’re using that plethora of articles as intended.

So fascinating, though. Many great writers are definitely NOT empaths.

Hmmm, do I smell a contest coming, where we have authors recommended, including ones we think might or might not be empaths?

Hmmmm, yummmm, I will let this thought simmer a while.

Meanwhile, thanks for your comment, DAVE.

Grace W says:

So funny, ROSE, because I’m reading a new book and am curious about the author. I’d actually debated mentioning the book somehow on the blog for various reasons. Perhaps the category “the meek shall inherit the earth” is fitting.

The book is just out. “Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking,” and the author is Susan Cain.

Given that we just ‘met’ Malcolm Gladwell, I was wondering if you’d heard of the book yet. One of the review blurbs states:

“In an elite class with the best books of Malcolm Gladwell”
    – Teresa Amabile, Harvard Business School Professor

Not to jump the gun on the contest…should there even be one! 🙂

Jordan says:

Grace, for goodness’ sake, that book is everywhere. Such a huge amount of publicity for someone’s first book- I wouldn’t be surprised if Susan Cain has the aura of a master saleswoman!!

Thanks so much for all these comments so far, Blog-Buddies. I have a hunch that Virginia Woolfe would have wanted Susan Cain to have a room (and a platform) of her own.

Rachel says:

Rose,

Did you ever pursue your idea of looking at authors who might or might not be empaths?

You know that I love writing myself, and one thing that has fascinated me as I have begun to develop skills as an empath is how that skill set can impact on my writing.

In the past, it has been evident to the writer part of me that I really need to focus more on describing what people are actually saying and doing, as opposed to writing about the subtext. Being aware of subtexts has always been easy for me, whether as a writer or a reader.

And now I am discovering that I need – simply as a human being, not just as a writer – to focus more on objective reality, which is so cool because that’s exactly what I also need to work on technically in my art.

So I’d be fascinated to look at writers who are empaths and whether their work tends to be more subjective and rooted in an inner world, and non-empath writers and whether they do in fact tend to write more about outer events.

I am guessing that writers who are empaths who have trained themselves to focus on objective reality are capable of infusing their work with more subtlety, whereas unskilled empath writers are probably not so good, technically, as non-empath writers who are better at recording reality.

Any thoughts?

Elaine says:

I’m a writer and an empath Rachel and my books are all about the emotion.