Has Carolyn Myss Changed?

Let’s continue our Three Loveables series, using intuitive reading to focus on three people of special interest to Blog-Buddies at this online community. Reading faces was the first step into deeper perception of New Age superstar Caroline Myss. Aura readings and skilled empath merges into energy fields come next, and that is our goal for today.

Insight from the level of deep human secrets — medical intuitive readings, her specialty, are hardly the only way to do that. Like most of you who are reading these words, my specialties are spiritual and emotional, more than physical.

Note: Over time, links can go bad. And legally I don’t have the rights to show celebrity photos, so I can’t display them here other than providing links. But you can easily go over to Google, type in the person’s name and the blog post date, then search on images. Click on a good image, preferably current with the time of the reading here at this blog.

For background on reading auras, use these FAQs at my website. Choose any categories that interest you, but I do suggest that you begin with the counter-culture approach to auras. Otherwise you may be scratching your head, thinking, “But Rose hasn’t told me about a single color.”

WHICH DATABANKS?

Every chakra worth reading for a profile like this has 50 different databanks. Fear not, I’ll be selective. And I’ll compare the same databank from a photo relatively early in her career with a picture millions of readers after. How has huge success changed Caroline Myss?

Root Chakra Databank for Presence in the Room

• Before: Her intellect grabs you. She’s so vibrantly curious, so busy thinking, it’s like having a bee in the room. Even if she doesn’t speak directly to you, you don’t have to consciously do a spiritual reading to feel how she’s buzzing around, upgrading the whole quality of conversation in the room.
  • Now: For a famous person, she has a pretty retiring, quiet presence. Confidence has grown, and she feels herself dominating the room without having to move a muscle. An interesting facet of this confidence feels to me like, “I own this conversation.” You could call it a regal quality or you might find it a bit off-putting. A gut reaction like that could be considered the test of who is a real fan.

Root Chakra Databank for Medical Intuitive Circuits

• Before: At this time in her career, Caroline had depended on these circuits for her success. There is a wonderful, rare ability to move her consciousness directly into another person’s aura, finding what is going on with health. Think human X-ray.
  • Now: Caroline’s career emphasis has moved on, so it isn’t surprising that she doesn’t show much energy around this circuitry now. Like other mind-body-spirit celebrities, she is far more interested in the spiritual side now. (A similar shift has been happening for life coach Martha Beck and psychologist/channeler Ron Scolastico.)

Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Using Power while Teaching

• Before: That busy-bee intellect has plenty of honey to disburse. Caroline has so much to impart, she needs tight control over a teaching situation, the chance to just let that information out to reach her students. (Oboy, can I ever relate!) I also find a kind of steely resolve that nobody in the audience will ever know quite as much as she does, or know it so completely, so they had better listen carefully.
  • Now: Again, the inner dynamics have changed drastically. Caroline isn’t pushing so much to share as managing to keep herself steady while so much attention, adoration, etc. is being thrust upon her.

Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Self-Promotion

• Before: This is the biggest databank in this reading, by far. It is very closely allied to Myss’ mission, which is to serve as a world-wide ambassador for the New Age (and her own standing in it). Clarity, competitiveness, and resourcefulness all combine to make Caroline an amazingly effective ambassador.
  • Now: This databank has grown yet greater. Caroline is positioned to make her chosen topics go mega, go mainstream.

Throat Chakra Databank for Communication While Teaching

• Before: Caroline is logical, clear, and direct. There’s a quality of strictness, related to the same talent that enables her to build systems of knowledge. Although I haven’t been in any personal workshops with her, I did see a video of hers. Absolutely no-nonsense, with loads of information being communicated in a systematic fashion. (Note: I’m remembering this AFTER reading the databank.)
  • Now: Enormous growth shows here, with a new ability to interact with an audience, sensing how they are listening and feeling, how to pace her conversation, what people want. This is perfectly suited to radio. Whatever the size of her listening audience, Caroline is ready to establish and keep strong connection.

Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Self-Awareness While Teaching

• Before: Very detached, Caroline isn’t connected to her feelings while she teaches. Instead, she’s spiritually connected. (See the next databank.) It’s sweet how she can purposely appeal to emotions while she teaches. The emotions aren’t particularly felt inside; it’s more like a movie actor who is told by the director to make certain gestures while delivering the lines.
  • Now: No change. This is exactly the same as it was in our earlier photo.

Third Eye Chakra Databank for Connection to Spiritual Source While Teaching

• Before: The connection is huge (though still only about 25% as big as the promotion databank previously discussed). Caroline has total surrender to the information that she brings through. It reminds me of a nun, someone whose pristine spiritual connection includes a renunciation of her personal human self. If you’re looking for The Big Secret of Success for Caroline Myss, that would be here. (Although all these databanks, and others, really contribute. To a skilled empath or aura reader, The Big Secret of Success for anyone is that there isn’t any one big secret.)
  • Now: Big shift again! Caroline is much more grounded and focused on the here-and-now. She has her insights stored up and is now working full-time, with human circuitry and awareness, to communicate in a way that people can understand. Out of the convent, into the marketplace!

THE BALANCING

What was it like to be Elvis or The Beatles or Britney Spears while at the height of their fame? Receiving mega-attention can be a burden. Staying in balance isn’t easy for anyone, but less so when millions of fans clamour for your attention.

If you’re a singer, people don’t expect you to maintain spiritual oomph while grappling with your sanity. But Caroline has a very different, and much graver, responsibility. Like Doreen Virtue and Sylvia Browne, Caroline has been positioned as a kind of rock star of the metaphysical.

Now, consider the different kinds of demand from your public if you are any kind of rock star. Britney was positioned as a little Pop Tart, then a bigger one. Energetically, she had to deal with cords of attachment from fans who used her as a sex object. Those who laugh at her obvious distress in recent years miss the point. It’s not just that she has flipped out; the high pressure of energetic connections in the Internet age intensify the pressures of great fame. Long before her troubles became the stuff of tabloid journalism, Britney’s aura reminded me of that of a 50-something, burned-out hooker.

Worldwide, anyone who wants to can still call up Britney’s image, project onto her whatever they wish, sending energetic pulls-and-tugs with the speed of a mouse click. While she has had no training to do the kind of Energy Spirituality HEALING that I teach in my Intensives. I’m also willing to bet, she has no knowledge of Rosetree Energy Spirituality, such as cutting cords of attachment. So, along with the money and fame, she is taking on energies that require clarity or healing that she doesn’t have.

Caroline is, clearly, positioned differently, yet lives within that same matrix of social interconnection that goes far beyond what Elvis and others dealt with back in the day. Who seeks her wisdom? It’s spiritual seekers, or sufferers from health problems who treat her like a kind of modern-day Lourdes, somebody obligated to dispense healing miracles just because she once popularized the specialty called “Medical Intuitive.”

To have a sense of what she, or Sonia Choquette, or other big Hay House authors, must deal with, think for a minute about community. Here at Deeper Perception Made Practical, you Blog-Buddies are delightful peers and students to me. Your comments here have shown you to be respectful and authentically seeking; you keep your own self-authority. Again, you are my delight.

But this is a very selective community. I don’t work much with beginners. I have no desire to participate in taking anyone’s power. No, there is no official test to participate in this community. Anyone can lurk on this blog or buy one of my books, and there won’t be any official test to pass. Yet the people who study with me in depth are remarkable: Curious, smart, thoughtful, awake.

Even in my small world, though, I have had certain experiences as a teacher or doing media interviews or responding to emails. I have had the occasional experience with people of the kind that the superstars deal with by the millions.

Did you ever think of the kind of community Myss must deal with? In one of her books, she recounts a pivotal incident in her career. She was doing a workshop as a medical intuitive when one student had a turn at the healer’s chair and demanded healing as though Myss were obligated to give the moon, while the healee would do nothing except take, sneer, and judge. I love the way Myss described her reaction, taking a deep breath and resolving not to put herself in that position again.

Sure, mega-success has changed her. Yet she continues striving to hold her light higher than her ego.

That choice is evident in how her aura has changed over time. More than any of her other gifts, that choice makes her loveable to me.

Dana says:

“Like other mind-body-spirit celebrities, she is far more interested in the spiritual side now.”

Myss’ book Anatomy of the Spirit had a huge affect on me and was one of my first introductions to auras and the connections between mind, body, and spirit. I tried but was unable to get as much out of her book Sacred Contracts. I guess that the medical/physical information helped me ground all of the new information about energy and auras. Maybe for many people that is a helpful first connection, maybe not.

Besides, Myss’ work didn’t include ANY information about empathy, especially emotional empathy (I don’t remember any). Rose’s books helped me find what I didn’t realize I was searching for: skilled empathy!

“The emotions aren’t particularly felt inside; it’s more like a movie actor who is told by the director to make certain gestures while delivering the lines.”

Speaking of emotions, this just fascinates me. People’s ways of having emotions are so different! (This is like a new surprise to me every time).

Anita says:

Hi Dana,

The reason Myss’ work didn’t include any information about empathy is because Myss isn’t an empath. She’s a medical intuitive.

That’s also why she may have had a tendency to come across like a movie actor.

Doris says:

Thank you Rose for a very enlightening portrait of the evolution of a “light being” using her gifts in a very human arena.

Ryan says:

I have known for a long time that a lot of public figures have huge demands placed on them, and I have already considered these demands in many of the ways that you mentioned in this article, Rose, but this time these ideas really sunk deeply into my consciousness.

I realized that a lot of the “discernment” I have used on public people such as Caroline Myss and Britney Spears was a little more judgmental than necessary. Saying things like “She focuses too on much being a celebrity” and “I would not want him to be my spiritual teacher because he is too ego-driven” is easy, yet I personally have never been in these kinds of situations (and have no desire to be), so I cannot say what I would be like if I was the recipient of high levels of public attention.

Thank you for this consciousness-evolving blog entry.

Dana says:

Anita (and everyone else),

I wonder though, if being a medical intuitive requires aura reading, couldn’t Myss have had the capabilities of reading if people were empaths? I think that unskilled empathy also takes a toll on the body. But I think that Rose wrote somewhere that some people have aura reading specialties of reading if people are empaths or not. So maybe Myss can’t read that. Hmmm….

Dana, I think you have brought up an important point. We all have specialties as aura readers. Just because someone is a medical intuitive doesn’t mean that this person is able to read anything about emotions or spirituality.

It’s a bit like the specialty of seeing auras as colors. Certain specialties cause otherwise rational people to fall into a total state of wonder. “Here is a genius. Here is someone who knows everything.”

That clairvoyant or medical intuitive isn’t necessarily a bigger genius or better know-it-all than you. 😉

Actually, many medical intuitives and physical healers are not especially aware of emotions. Caroline is a great example of that; witness how her heart chakra showed up in my short reading. She’s great at doing the things she is great at.

To recognize someone is an empath, you would need to be talented at getting either spiritual or emotional information. Physical smarts won’t get you there.

Finally, why would a non-empath ever be able to tell if someone is an empath?

Brian says:

We all have specialties. One has only managed to quiz a few people so far.
    Have met one energetic healer who can for want of a better description
    – repattern a persons aura together. Basically by applying awareness to to unaware body areas and following the chain back to the original inception point. By their own admission they personally see nothing.

One person one spoke to very briefly sees auras in really, really bright bold colours. Everything is 3d technicolour but they do not seem to pickup on emotions.

One found at a workshop once that one could deliver an understanding to someone’s pain only because someone else was there who had the ability to perceive what was required.

It reminds one of “where two or more people are gathered in my name”. We all get to eat cake by each bringing something to the party, at least one is assuming that is how it works. We all get the benefit of everyone’s specialities combined together.

Apologies
    One & I. One has read on more than one occasion that use of the word one instead of I could be helpful in lessening the grip of the ego. So one ha beens trying it out. So far one is getting rather confused.

Anita says:

There is a term that I have not coined, per se, but jokingly like to use, called “Harvard hypnosis.” Here in New England, the cachet of having a Harvard degree is so high that people think that their taxi ride is more special if their driver has a Harvard degree.

What I say is (and I have an Ivy League degree myself) – does it really matter if your driver has a degree from Harvard if your goal is to get to your destination?

I know some people with degrees from Harvard, and a subset of them are the most difficult, stingy, narcissistic people I know (or in one case, knew). The fact that they had a degree from Harvard didn’t make some of them any better at giving me a ride to the airport – in some cases, they were worse because they wouldn’t be on time or call me to let me know they were running late. Many non-Harvard people seemed to have more common sense and courtesy and didn’t seem to have the over-sized egos that made them think they were good at everything just because they had a Harvard degree or entitled to things that other non-Harvard people weren’t.

This is how I think of some famous people – they suffer from “famous people syndrome,” where they think the world should worship at their feet or that they are good at everything just because their names are easily recognizable by the mainstream public.

Caroline Myss reminds of that kind of person, in some ways. There are many medical intuitives who are more talented than her – she just happens to be one of the most famous ones.

I’m not knocking the services she has provided and the ways in which she has pushed the metaphysical world forward because of her fame, but that fame doesn’t automatically translate to being the best or providing the best service.

I worked at Starbuck’s for a while and I have to say that sometimes the “smartest” employees were the most difficult to work with – they got huffy because they thought serving other people coffee for a living was “beneath” them or that they deserved some kind of special treatment.

Rarely are there things in life that require such special or extraordinary ability that they cannot be learned by most people. Just about anyone can do most things if they put the time, effort, and attention toward it (even attending medical school and becoming a physician). And for the things that only some can do at a world-class level, it’s not really necessary to be able to do those things in order to find the same success and happiness in life that one might find doing something else. E.g., I will never be a world-class golfer like Tiger Woods, but my life isn’t all that adversely affected by lack of golfing ability.

It’s too bad most empaths are clairvoyant – since that is the clair getting the most public attention right now – but does it really adversely affect your human experience or even your ability to read auras accurately?

Does the fact that Barack Obama is black affect his ability to be a good president? The reasons that would affect that have nothing to do with his color at all. That’s how superficial color happens to be to me personally.

Anita says:

I have not done a statistical study on this, but I would venture to say that most of the medical students I know are NOT empaths. Of the ones who are, many of them happen to be my friends (or people I’ve been curious about), 😆 I’m only half-joking about that.

Many people are able to go into a field like medicine and succeed at it because they aren’t empaths. Imagine being in a field where one could constantly take on other people’s physical and emotional pain if one was an unskilled empath.

I’m reminded of an episode of the television show “Medium” in which the character played by the actress Patricia Arquette walks into a hospital and is greeted (actually, accosted) by all the spirits of those who have died in the hospital and weren’t able yet to cross over to the other side. My guess is that very talented mediums would generally NOT choose to make hospitals their primary work environments for this reason.

In my time as a med student, I have only encountered one or two empaths who are skilled but have never studied personally with Rose. That’s it. Many of the rest don’t know that they are empaths or their auras and subsequently their personalities have become distorted by constantly taking on other people’s pain, day in and day out, hour after hour, year after year. One med student who once puzzled me turned out to be a natural empath who had never turned her gift for empathy on – that’s why I couldn’t understand her – she didn’t strike me as a non-empath, but she was an empath who had essentially coated herself with non-empath frosting. That frosting has never come off. Yet another med student who has huge empathic gifts isn’t unskilled, he has just put them into denial. He is now a great hospitalist who works with very sick patients who are admitted to the hospital and end up on his team. He treats only the physical symptoms and really that is all that he is interested in right now (consistent with the interest of the rest of mainstream society, actually).

In my personal experience, the truly truly great in medicine are empaths who are skilled and use that skill to help others and, if they are able, to go into other people’s auras and transform or heal them aurically. They may not know consciously that they are doing this. But they are healing people at a very deep level – at the cellular level, literally at the causal molecular level where everything gets started and is formed.

If you know how computer languages are written, you know that they used to be written in packets of information called “bits and bytes.” Or 1’s and 0’s. Out of just 1’s and 0’s, whole programs and computer languages were formed.

I aspire to heal at this level.

You can always put frosting over physical symptoms. But to me, the physical symptoms are an outward manifestation of the spiritual and emotional changes happening at that causal level. As a healer, I need a knowledge of physiology and pathophysiology to understand how things go from that molecular causal level all the way to outward physical symptoms and pathology. But slapping some frosting over the symptoms doesn’t heal. It temporarily helps.

Go back to the foundation and you can fundamentally change and heal.

Ryan says:

I did not know that; I assumed that all empaths are able to recognize other empaths. However, since you claim that everybody can develop spiritual empathy, I assume that all empaths can eventually learn how to recognize other empaths.

Karin says:

Could somebody be a medical intuitive AND a medical empath at the same time and do they focus on different things?

Colleen says:

Dear Anita,
    Thanks for your post. In June 2008 I will have been a nurse, (most of it in critical care), for 35 years. My strongest gifts are emotional and spiritual oneness, then physical empathy, environmental empathy with psychic knowing thrown in the mix. It has not always been a very pleasant ride, in fact, I have often felt as if I just might be cracking up. I kept it to myself, though. My ex-husband used to wonder why I spent so much time in the bathroom when I came home from work. Yes, I am a girly girl and am not above primping.
    Most of that time I was trying very hard to slough
    off whatever it was that was attached to me. I also took excessive showers that puzzled him, too.
    There are nurses who have not a clue that they are empaths…and some are not ready to know.

I appreciate and agree with much of what you have said.

ANITA, thank you for both your comments. Harvard hypnosis, now that’s a term of art.

I wonder if, perhaps, you meant that most empaths are NOT clairvoyant. That would fit with the rest of what you wrote… and also with my experience.

KARIN, gee, why would you of all people want to know if someone could be an medical intuitive and also an empath with physical oneness?

All combinations of gifts are possible.

That one would be useful because you could learn about what was going on with other people and have the benefit of experiencing it from the inside. In EMPOWERED BY EMPATHY, I wrote about Brihaspati Dev Triguna, the great Ayurvedic physician. He is a magnificent example of someone with that set of talents.

But I think it is important for all of us Blog-Buddies to know that you don’t have to be a medical intuitive to help people with a gift related to doing spiritual readings or intuitive readings.

Flash doesn’t matter, any more than “Harvard hypnosis.” Everyone has a perfect set of gifts as a world server and, with them, what is needed for an extraordinary human life, like that amazing COLLEEN, the baby whisperer (and guru to them) (and beautifully put-together lady with nearly 35 years of professional work to her credit) (that last part which I wouldn’t have guessed).

DORIS and BRIAN, thank you so much for your recent comments as well.

Aren’t we the lucky ones to not only HAVE gifts and USE them, but to be gaining more of an understanding of what they are. Most people you’ll meet are far more experienced at deconstructing the meaning of your hairstyle or clothing than your gifts as a world server or a human being.

Again, thanks to both of you for writing.

DANA, people’s ways of having emotions, having ideas, having spirituality… all of this is distinctive.

And what’s the best way to find it all? Read that person’s aura or, if you’re as fortunate as Dana and you were born as an empath, do a skilled empath merge.

But you knew that, Dana. Thanks for all you wrote.

Oh, RYAN, never take for granted that someone is an empath. Remember, we’re just one in 20.

This weekend I was visiting with a very dear friend who is an Intellectual Shape Shifter. He is such a great example of how a person could be hugely gifted as an empath but not be obviously an empath because we often expect empaths to have an emotional gift, and he doesn’t.

One reason I was glad to write about Caroline Myss is that many people assume that because she is a medical intuitive, she is an empath.

Assuming, ah! It isn’t as beneficial as it is cracked up to be.

Anonymous says:

I am an empath and studied medicine and had problems to bear the patients in the beginning. I avoided going to lectures where patients were being presented, the worst ones being psychiatric lectures. Instead I adapted myself slowly to being with patients by working at a hospital which proved to be much less difficult to bear than the lectures. Maybe I also got an ‘icing cover’ during that time, I guess one has to pay a price for doing such a job.

I have most ‘weird’ empathic experiences in my work with patients, otherwise much less probably because the stress patients experience is so much bigger than in normal life.

Since I have learned Rose’s method of turning empathy off I can even deal with psychiatric patients.

Some physicians are empaths and they are usually the best in their field but their flash conclusions are pretty hard to understand by non-empaths, I knew a surgeon and a researcher.

Anita says:

That’s right. Most empaths are NOT clairvoyant. I was typing in an airport (thank goodness for wi-fi – technology today is amazing) but made a typo. Sometimes it’s hard to type with the laptop sitting on your lap.

Anonymous says:

Concerning the low probability of having mediums work in a medical profession mentioned by Anita above, I think that astral mediums have the problem of being in contact with passed over people, but not the higher mediums, so not all mediums will be ‘annoyed’ by perceiving them. It may even be difficult for higher mediums to note at all that they are mediums because they dont’ have those experiences (although apparently they can manage to have them if they want to).

Anita says:

Hi Anonymous,

The skills that Rose teaches are not meant to replace technical skill (see post on Loreena McKennitt and the founder of Perelandra).

Sometimes people think that if they just read Rose’s book and maybe attend an intensive, they are ready to print up some business cards and start charging new clients.

The skills for empathy, aura reading, cord cutting, etc. – all of these are meant to add to your repertoire, not make you go crazy “woo woo” and replace common sense or the other credentialing you need in life in order to do professional work.

I see all the work I have done with Rose as enhancing my skills as a health care provider. I don’t see them as a replacement for medical school.

While labels at Earth School can sometimes be inaccurate (and you’ll find that if you ever order an aura/face/personnel reading from Rose), they are also important. On the physical plane, the degrees and certifications and credentials we get from university, graduate school, medical school… These are all very important, just not everything.

I’ve worked with Rose for several years and read all of her books except for one multiple times. I still don’t feel ready to charge clients a professional rate to use the skills that I have learned.

Colleen says:

Dear Rose,
    Thanks for your lovely comments about me…I blushed:-)

Anita,
    What you say about using your gifts/skills to enhance your life and what you already do. That in and of itself is a biggy and your patients/clients can only benefit. It is a great way to use the concept of synthesis to create over time something even better! It may take time for the gifts you have to be honored in the medical profession, but someday I think these things will be a part of it all, especially as people awaken to their spiritual selves and consciousness
    is expanded.

Wow, comments by three medical professionals in a row! Thanks to all of you for what you said. See today’s post (March 25.)

Anita says:

Hi Dana,

A non-empath can be an aura reader. I’m not sure if a non-empath can tell if someone is an empath or not – my guess is that they can, but many of the non-empaths I know aren’t really that interested. They have never joined in consciousness with others and therefore never experienced what it’s like to be someone else or take on someone else’s pain. The very idea of exercising “boundaries” is not new for most of them. For them, it’s natural. They have always been separate from others in their consciousness.

It’s mostly been empaths, from my experience, who know that they are different from others somehow but also know/suspect that they probably aren’t psychic. And empaths are usually the ones who are curious to see who else is like them in this regard (who else out there are empaths, in other words).

Non-empaths can read auras. Not sure that they can do the darshan technique or do it all that well, however.

Anita says:

Hi Colleen,

Thank you for your comments. The first comment: you may have “stuff” in your aura, such as astral debris, that can be removed. That is probably what you were trying to do but didn’t know how, since it was lodged in your aura – the pain that you were unknowingly taking on.

The second comment: Yes. I do not know if my gifts will benefit others, but at least it has enhanced my own life significantly. What I do know is that if one is a healer, any kind of healer, the better and more effectively one heals the more clarity that one has. That’s true for anyone but especially true and important for healers. Especially emotional and spiritual healers, in my own personal humble opinion.

Otherwise, two things can happen: 1) we get exhausted as healers because we constantly take on others’ pain and can subsequently burn out, and/or 2) we do what in the psychological language is called “project” – we project what is ours onto our clients/patients because of our own lack of clarity. This not only doesn’t help, it just confuses clients even further. And it certainly doesn’t heal.

Dana says:

Anita,

I loved your comments about the differences between empaths and non-empaths – very well put. And you said of non-empaths:

“They have never joined in consciousness with others and therefore never experienced what it’s like to be someone else or take on someone else’s pain.”

I usually forget this. As an empath I am also guilty of thinking that everyone is like me, but I assume everyone knows what it is like to be others in the room. Because of this, I am often shocked by people’s insensitivity.

I have trouble imagining what it is like to not feel others’ emotions. And when I think of what it might be like to be “separate,” then, as Rose put it, I feel fortunate to have been born an empath.

I also liked how you said:

“As a healer, first and foremost, I believe that it is important to model, physically and aurically, health and well-being. If I am physically and psychologically unwell, how do I effectively model wellness to a client?”

This is so true but can seem counter-intuitive. I have to remind myself that sometimes I can go forward the fastest only when I first stop and rest.

Anita says:

Hi Dana,

Isn’t it trippy? I know exactly what you’re talking about. I used to be amazed that others seemed so clueless and when “Emotional Quotient” by Daniel Goleman was published, my reaction was just “duh.”

I didn’t always feel fortunate to be born as an empath (or as a minority). But since I don’t know any different, it’s hard for me to compare or know what it would be like to be wired as a non-empath. I have ideas that it would be wonderful, in the same way I have the idea that it would be wonderful to be white and look like Christie Brinkley. But I don’t really know since I’m just imagining it. I look nothing like her or any other supermodel.

Anita says:

Dana,

You may or may not know that empaths in the U.S. only number about 1 in 20. Even in a graduating class of 100 medical students, only 5 will be empaths, statistically speaking. It’s really a handful. The other 95 will probably be non-empaths.

In Japan, the number rises to 1 in 5. That makes 20 out of 100. Still, 80 are non-empaths!

-Anita

Dana says:

“The other 95 will probably be non-empaths”

It does make more of an impression when you put the proportion into larger numbers! I also think that the proportion varies depending on the group of people and the activity they might be doing. I don’t want to stereotype groups as non-empathic, but there have been times when I have been with people and thought, “There should be this many empaths here right now, but with this group, I’m guessing there aren’t.” And the opposite can be true, too: in college my three roommates were also empaths (we chose to live together).

Even after all of the times that I have complained about my unskilled empathy, I still wouldn’t trade it. It’s so much a part of who I am and how I interact with people and learn about the world. It’s hard to say that the beautiful experiences have outweighed picking up others’ pain. But for me it would be like losing my sense of touch.

Anita says:

Hi Dana,

Of course there is always self-selection and as well as unconscious/conscious forces at work in any situation and gathering.

Using a completely different example, it doesn’t surprise me that the vast majority of ob-gyn’s are women. Or the vast majority of orthopedic surgeons are men. A combination of self-selection and other factors/pressures. You might have noticed that a significantly high number of people who apply to MIT and CalTech are interested in math, science, and engineering. 🙂 Go figure.

The thing with being an empath or non-empath is that you are born that way, so you don’t know what you are missing in either direction. Empaths might feel like they are losing something, but non-empaths don’t feel bad – they don’t know what they would be gaining or what they might be missing. It just is the way it is. Reminding myself this has stopped me from feeling either overly good or bad about being an empath, but more importantly, for blaming non-empaths for being “clueless” or “dolts” or whatever other word you want to insert here. By design, they can’t join up in consciousness with others. That isn’t their fault and they didn’t choose that (at least consciously). And to non-empaths, we empaths might strike them as hopeless emotional wrecks, especially if we are unskilled. Always crying or complaining or being “overly sensitive” to things that they have no experience of whatsoever, so of course they don’t know what we are talking about.

It is the compassion I have when some of my white friends think that minorities are being overly whiny or “imagining racism” because they are hyper-aware and overly sensitized to issues involving skin color.

As a child, I remember people asking me what it was/is like to be minority… I used to answer, “Well, what is it like to be white? Or to be a woman? Or a man?” Since most of us can’t or don’t undergo operations that can change our race and gender, we can’t compare the two experiences and the differences between them. There are books written by people who went undercover as one race or another (the makeup and prostheses available today are amazing) and also those written by the rare individuals who underwent gender change operations… They are illuminating because they can compare and contrast. However, I have to add that usually those people did it as an experiment for a short period of time (changing skin color) or felt wrong in their initial gender, which is why they permanently switched to the other gender.

So I still see this as quite different from exclusively being of one race and gender or spending half of one’s lifetime as one race, then a different race, or as one gender, then a different gender, with no initial feelings that prompted the day of experimentation (curiosity) or the permanent gender change (“I felt wrong being the gender that I was born with.”).

What are your thoughts about this, Dana?

ANONYMOUS, back at your Comment #20 (and with all due appreciation for the comments in between), I think you’re on to something valid here.

What you call “higher mediums” I might call people who co-create. I do agree with you that many people do this without knowing they have connected. Instead, they feel inspired.

Just so all this terminology makes sense to others, and correct me if I’m mistaken here, I think you’re referring to the fact that beings who cross over can move into a wide variety of astral planes, some lower, others higher. While the process of connecting with etheric, or Divine, beings is a different sort of process.

I call this co-creation. Decades ago, I called it “Conscious channeling” in contrast to the “trance channeling” which is done with astral beings.

The exception is when a person has astral entities in his/her aura on his/her personal angel team of guides, guardian angels, etc. (and don’t we all?). They are on the person’s vibration and so are accessed consciously, not needing a trance state. They feel like “me.” Interestingly, this input happens whether or not you take the extra step to call it “My guidance.”

It is very empowering for human beings to identify personally with that inner feeling of inspiration, whether it’s one’s guides or a Divine Being, and tell by the consequences that it is valid.

By contrast, I have encountered many people who are really dependent on asking a particular guide for even the tiniest decision in everyday life. Often the person has huge areas of blockage as a human being. It’s a way of running around the problem — and not a bad way necessarily — but a choice to be aware of.

Dana says:

Anita,

I am still processing all that you said. I like how you said that we are all born the way we are and cannot change who we are inside, not the essential parts anyway.

I am white and grew up in a mostly white community, so I am someone who is not very attuned to issues of racism. I guess I would be the “non-empath” to use your analogy: it isn’t that I don’t care, it’s just that I don’t know what it’s like to be a minority. You made a good point that no one suddenly becomes a different race or gender if the inner inclination wasn’t there.

Again using your analogy, maybe empaths could also be the people who go undercover as a different race, but then they return to who they were. Our experience gives us compassion but we have to return home. It’s complicated of course since there are all types of empathy and intuitive vs. oneness forms.

Unskilled empathy might be like going undercover and then forgetting how to change your clothes/appearance or forgetting who you were before. It seems simple to everyone else but you just don’t remember: you think you are the “other” you are experiencing.

Hi,

My take on Caroline Myss is that she is an angry person. I sense she’s holds alot of resentment from her divorce or relationships. She uses alot of male energy for a woman. She likes blaming people who are sick, like it’s their fault. She reminds of a new-age drill sergeant shouting “Just get over it.”

I think her latest book it somewhat intellectually dishonest. She just randomly puts together a bunch of Jungian archetypes and acts like she’s invent a universal system.

She’s done a great service educating the public about chakras, etc, for those who weren’t exposed to eastern philosophy, yoga, etc.

Randy

C. says:

Thank you for this post, Rose.

I have long been fascinated to read interviews with celebrities and often wondered what exactly it was that so fascinated me.

About 5 years ago I realized that what I was always looking for in the interview, whether it was with a pop star or a politician, was some clue to how they coped with the incoming energies. I hope you will write more on this subject.

C, then you were ahead of your time. Gradually, more and more people have become interested in what I now call “energetic literacy.”

Here’s some good news for you. This blog has many dozens of detailed energetic literacy profiles, a.k.a. aura readings, skilled empath merges, and face readings. Because I definitely share your fascination.

One quick way to access them is to use the column on the left. Click on READ PEOPLE DEEPER or choose a particular type of reading that interests you from the list there. You’ll be given screens full of posts to enjoy.

Comment away, too. I appreciate your comment today.