Why Crush on David Cook from American Idol?

Why crush on David Cook? Bexley emailed me:

I’ve been (too) obsessed with crushing on David Cook from American Idol…  There are some great discussions on just what it is about this sort of regular — until he gets on stage– guy that has women all in a tizzy.

It’s clear he’s so connected with his high heart and that’s part of what people are getting but there’s more to it than that.  I hope you will do me a personal favor and review him on your blog.

AMERICAN IDOL IN ENGLAND

Here’s why I have no preconceptions about David Cook. True confession… I have never watched American Idol except for 15 sad minutes while visiting friends in England. How ironic is that? For my first-ever experience of reality show, I watched the American version of a program that originated in the UK.

Although I can be a big fan of irony, this wasn’t enough to make me like the show. I watched long enough to compare a couple of singers, A. and B. Aura watching their performances, along with seeing the rest of the show, I found that:

A. practiced sending out a truly thick — rather revolting, and definitely fake — facade of sexiness. Also on display was a great deal of sexual energy, ripping out through her belly chakra. No charisma, or other sign of talent, emanated from the woman’s throat chakra.

Unless you count anorexia and provocative body language as talents. (I don’t.)

Oh, yes, what about A.’s singing? To me, it sounded as much like molded plastic as her aura.

When the judges praised A. lavishly, I thought, “Hmm, what kind of show is this, anyway?”

B. sang next, electric with passion. She put everything she had into her performance: Energy poured from her throat chakra (real charisma there). Joy cascaded from her high heart and third eye chakras.

When singing, B. also showed a healthy presence at the root chakra as well, plus a vibrant and authentic sexual energy streaming from her belly chakra.

As a performer, B. had such soul. I loved her voice, her phrasing, even her intonation.

Clearly she was going to be the winner, right? Well, you guessed it. The judges picked apart her performance “for her own good” and threw her off the island.

ANOTHER COUNTRY, ANOTHER PERFORMER

Hey, I’m not going to hold David Cook’s show against him. It’s time to revisit American Idol, at least by reading his aura. As you Blog-Regulars know, I have often read auras of performers from photographs and encourage you to do the same. It’s a great way to savor their talent (or else spot a flash in the pan).

We can be the judges here, comparing aura readings in photos of David when not on stage with David the singer.

Note: Over time, links can go bad. And legally I don’t have the rights to show celebrity photos, so I can’t display them here other than providing links. But you can easily go over to Google, type in the person’s name and the blog post date, then search on images. Click on a good image, preferably current with the time of the reading here at this blog.

Root Chakra Databank for Presence in the Room

• Not Singing: Bexley and other David Cook fans, fair warning: This man is used to being a charmer. He projects a strong, consistent facade of being lighthearted, pretending to be a good time guy who doesn’t take anything very seriously, even himself. Yet he isn’t an alcoholic. This has got to be one of the most charming roles a man can play. Singing apart, here’s reason enough to set up serious crushing in some women.
  • Singing: David becomes very confident, very masculine. Athletic ability must be part of his past. (Do any of you Blog-Buddies know?) He shows that kind of confidence, competing on the field as someone who really expects to win.

Belly Chakra Databank for Sex Appeal

• Not Singing: Enthusiastic, playful, youthful sexiness — David is well endowed. His puppy-like vibe could easily evoke puppy love.
  • Singing: Aw, I’m actually starting to like this guy. How refreshing that he isn’t doing anything revolting or hyped up or prostitutional (Yes, I know that’s a made up word). The same sexiness shows as David has the rest of the time, and it blends nicely with his amped-up root chakra presence.

Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Self-Confidence

• Not Singing: Self-confidence can be made, not born. Clearly that is the case with David Cook. The scar tissue at this aura databank suggests that he has had to overcome childhood experiences with at least one authority figure who got jollies from belittling him. David has found ways to keep himself whole, even like himself, without carrying forward the pattern of nastiness.
  • Singing: Courage has to carry David while singing. Confidence alone won’t do the job. Confidence deserts him. To his credit, David doesn’t project a fake kind of confidence, nor does he push the slight undertone of vulnerability, making it into a kind of schtick. No, there’s just lack of self-confidence and a subtle-body connection to his Courage databank. So let’s read that one next.

Root Chakra Databank for Courage as a Performer

• Not Singing — Would that still count as performing? Hey, posing for publicity shots like the one here, he’s still clearly performing: It’s like an athletic event. David knows he has physical intelligence and physical courage. This is what he draws on, other than making contact with his emotional, intellectual, or spiritual circuitry.
  • Singing: Again, a purely physical courage shows here. He’s like a soldier on the battlefield, “Don’t trouble yourself about what you feel now. Shove it away, in the background and focus on moving your body. Go through the motions, that’s all,and get through this.”

Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Self-Awareness

• Not Singing: David is emotionally generous in a non-empath sort of way. Mostly he’s aware of simple feelings, not paying much attention. When someone likes him, he notices right away. Does he have much other awareness about other people’s emotions? No, he’s more likely to notice the physical aspect of people than the emotional, intellectual, or spiritual aspects.
  • Singing: Oh, the yearning he projects from this databank. From all the heart chakra databanks, actually, one powerful cry goes out: “Like me, love me.” It’s an honest searching, and not terribly complicated. Emotionally, David isn’t fussy. Any kind of liking him will do just fine.

Throat Chakra Databank for Performance Talent

• Not Singing: Popularity matters to David. He pitches all his communication to win people over, make friends. Yes, it’s called charm, and the facial equivalent is his slightly crooked smile, angling just a bit toward the right side of his face and also tilting upwards a bit more on the right.
  • Singing: He’s a crowd pleaser. A big energy pours out, energy large enough to fill the studio, pop in through your TV set or your computer screen. David really, really, wants people to like him. He pours energy out with that single intent, so the simplicity itself adds power to his performance. Simplicity like that might bore you after a while or it might become addictive with its familiar, very accessible, quality.

High Heart Chakra Databank for Soul Thrill

• Not Singing: As Bexley noted, David has an uncommonly strong high heart connection. When it comes to his desires as a human being, he is honest, unpretentious, very self-aware.  Interest in going for what makes him happy, without needing extra complications, helps David to come across as authentic.
  • Singing: This man just loves to sing. Especially the part about reaching out to others, seeking and winning popularity: It really thrills his soul. A subtle, but real, Divine connection comes through him this way. Not otherwise terribly interested in religion or spirituality, as shown in his third eye (whether singing or not), David’s concert hall is his sanctuary.

CAST YOUR VOTE

Those of you Blog-Buddies who, unlike me, have actually heard the man sing, isn’t David Cook’s likeability the main quality you notice? I wouldn’t expect great vocal range or subtlety, more a voice that finds its way into your heart.

Here is what I find most interesting about today’s aura readings of David Cook. As a person, he is mostly physically oriented. As a performer, he is physically oriented, too.

Unless you read auras, you’re unlikely to appreciate what a big plus this is for anyone who aims to be a crowd pleaser. For those of you who are like Bexley, soooooo developed in the higher chakras, a super-physical fellow like David has a grounding influence. He makes fans like you feel peaceful, more emotionally stable, temporarily causing life itself to feel simpler.

Normally, is your emotional life a whirlwind? Do you stop to analyze mostly everthing, further heating up that sizzling intellect? How much does spiritual life move you around, whizzing you through space and time and endless seeming quests for self-improvement?

Crushing on David Cook could become your vacation.

Yet David still has much to offer if you’re a simple person, like him. Maybe you’re young, or just a young soul. Maybe you’re into sports or body building or the celebrity culture or high-performance cars, and this is your life. Chances are that your chakras would stack up very much like David’s. He becomes crush material just because he is “just like me.”

Reading David Cook, I think of other performers whose performance gift/charm/charisma is mostly physical: Tom Cruise, Nick Lachey, Miley Cyrus, Paris Hilton, Katherine Heigl, John Travolta, Amy Winehouse.

Bottom line: It’s not politically correct to say we like certain celebrities because they aren’t exceptional, except for a pleasing physical appearance and inwardly being oh-so-down-to-earth. But the fact remains. We crush on what we need.

Anabela says:

I didn’t read his aura. I just watched some performance of his on youtube.com and wondered what impressions I’d get. I don’t know him either nor do have I gotten into the whole reality-show, celebrity competition television phenomenon… after seeing several shows that disgusted me.

What struck me was that he is very insecure and has zero singing talent; there is simply no soulful force in his voice. Nothing in his voice stung me inside. The way he kept gazing at the idolating crowds was the only tender thing I noticed – he seemed to keep focusing on the audience and that is what makes him successful.

No, not really a deep guy. Not really a part of the 1-2% of the old soul, angsty population which means he can appeal to the rest of the 99% if they can be bothered.

Anita says:

Wow, this is a great reading and your analysis of mainstream celebrity culture was spot-on. I, too, have barely watched “American Idol,” maybe about 10 minutes total. Not just of this season, but of all the seasons. For some reason, it has never held that much appeal for me.

I find many celebrities appealing, including Katherine Heigl, whom I am more familiar with because I do watch “Grey’s Anatomy.” I find watching that show the equivalent of how many people might feel watching “American Idol.” It’s like a mini-vacation from my day, the equivalent of drinking a nice carbonated soda. An enjoyable but temporary indulgence.

Anita says:

From what I can see from David’s photo and aura reading, he’s a real cutie-pie with genuine and authentic appeal. Despite the fact that my parents are naturalized Americans, I do enjoy a simple “meat and potatoes” kind of meal. David is someone for whom the term “appeals to the Heartland” seems to have been coined. Myself being born in the Heartland (even though my parents weren’t), I can relate.

Lisa says:

Oh my gosh, Anabella … I can’t believe you said he has no singing talent. I think he has one of the most amazing voices I’ve heard (of course, I could be bowled over by his physical presence! heh) and I love listening to all his recordings from AI and before (he was in a band earlier and then released a cd on his own).

Rose, I thought the reading was quite good and accurate, from what I can tell. He seems very grounded and yes, ever in my head chick that I am, love that. 🙂

Thank you for doing this. I’m posting it around the DC forums so expect some interesting responses perhaps!

Bex/Lisa

Anabela says:

Heh, Lisa, it doesn’t matter what I think. Just my opinion, not necessarily “truth.” 😉

Anita says:

Hey Lisa and Anabela,

I love how this forum encourages people to pipe up with different opinions and viewpoints!

Isn’t that the beauty of this blog – to encourage people to speak up and have this kind of open exchange and dialogue?

Good for both of you for having different opinions. There is beauty and truth in diversity.

Lisa says:

Many women (my age, even) over in the AI forums wonder what hit them because they’ve gotten all “fan-girly” over a guy they don’t even know. I have always had fangirly tendencies so this infatuation is nothing new to me (even at my advanced age) but I understand a bit more now, through Rose’s reading, why he generates that. Grounding. I bet many can relate to that – I know I do. Usually I get it by hugging a tree, but you know, whatever floats your boat. For me, Cookie is a wonderful way to pull me back down to earth.

tracy says:

interesting stuff. but anabela, seriously…zero singing talent?! you’re clearly entitled to your opinion, but i think you’re the first person i’ve *ever* seen have that particular one.

i mean. zero!? seriously?!?

tracy says:

oh, and:

“Athletic ability must be part of his past. (Do any of you Blog-Buddies know?)”

yup. he was a pitcher. 🙂

Ned says:

Well as a heterosexual guy, I’m not sure I can comment much on David Cook’s sex appeal (nor am I interested in how well endowed he might be, blech!).

The impression I get of him is that he is superficial and insecure, which is generally a good recipe for fame.

Personally, I hope David Archuleta wins. He has a great voice and heart big enough for the whole world.

mm says:

Hello,

This is my first time reading this blog. Rose, I think it is wonderful that you are teaching people that there are several dimensions to a person other than the ones we are taught to see. I’m 19 and my mother taught me about aura reading, chakras, pranic healing and reiki when I was just a child.

I don’t think it struck a cord immediately but now that I’m living on my own and trying to understand the people around me I have been noticing auras. Well, not exactly, but i often notice som sort of blockage in a certain chakra. Strangely though, I notice faces a lot. And very often I notice a faded green colour that I percieve and some form of negative energy. Greed, envy, anger, self-obsession. I’m not sure.

The real reason I’m writing this is I had no idea who David Cook was.I saw some clips of him on YouTube and the only thing I noticed was his speaking voice did not seem real to me. I’m not sure why but thats what I noticed.

Thank you for this wonderful blog gift and I wish you all a pleasant day!

THANKS to you new readers, as well as you long-time Blog-Buddies. Keep commenting and enjoying the use of YOUR gifts for reading people deeper.

Julie says:

I can definitely appreciate people who are physically oriented, just because they are so different from me. I admire how effortlessly they pay attention to that level of life. Sometimes I’ll watch with fascination, just trying to figure out how they do it. Like if I watch them long enough, their secret will rub off on me and I can say “Aha, that’s how they do it!”

Along with David Cook, Tom Cruise, Miley Cyrus, and the others, I think figure skater Michelle Kwan falls in this category of being super aware of the physical. She really has an amazing presence on the ice, and even if you are sitting in the very last row of seats in the arena, you take notice of her and every move she makes. I’m sure that’s part of the reason why she’s achieved such fame and respect in her sport. Also, that she’s won tons of medals and has a gracious personality, but a big part of it is the physical groundedness. It makes people notice and commands respect. And can gain the person a big fan club!

Crystal says:

I don’t read auras, but do trust my instinct.

I haven’t been a “fangirl” since I was 13 years old, but I stumbled upon one of his performances on American Idol, and was mesmorized by his voice.

Then, the strange part started: an obsession that took on a life of it’s own (not normal for me at all!). I’m not sure if it’s his presence, his background story, his sense of humor, his lyrics (the ones he wrote on his own before AI), the fact that he seems so relatable, or his altruism (do a little research), but he really got to me, and it’s driving me crazy that I can’t figure out how or why.

This isn’t like me! I don’t obsess about celebrities–I just don’t!

I do agree that there is a layer of “actor” inside him (I work with them, so I can spot ’em), and he does have a theatre background, and has said in an interview recently he wants to win a Grammy, an Oscar, a Tony and an Emmy (jokingly).

I though most of your reading was pretty accurate to what I perceive him to be, my question is, why does he crave so much love? Everyone enjoys being liked, but what is it about him that has him needing so much attention? He wasn’t the only one who was “belittled by authority figures”. Clearly, he has a passion for the music, but the loving attention too….

Mindy says:

I am getting to this aura reading party a bit late I think! I was so hoping that Rose would do a reading of David Cook – I actually just requested it of her about 10 minutes ago in the Natalie Portman comments. (Sorry!) But she’s beaten me to the punch! Anyway, I am one of those women who are crushing on David big time and I can’t say why, exactly. I think it could definitely be how grounded and physical he is – I am certainly not grounded most of the time, though I do enjoy the physical myself, so we could certainly have fun.

I think he enjoys the fame immensely right now but I don’t think it’s what he’s all about. I think he has a great need for harmony – with his fellow singers, the judges, the audience and so I do agree with his need or wish to be liked. I had the impression that he just wants to make music and in that way, I think he could be seen as “simple”, but I think the fame for him might be more of a means to an end than a life long goal. For those who don’t know, he didn’t intend to audition for AI (he’s not a fan, either) but went as moral support for his brother and the producers talked him in to auditioning. He made it, but his brother did not. He has stated that he was pretty content bartending and singing covers a few nights a week, though his comment about wanting to win a Grammy, an Emmy and an Oscar seems to contradict that. Perhaps he hasn’t fully embraced his own ambition and is struggling to remain grounded and humble in the midst of winning what truly is a popularity contest? And I know way too much about this guy!

Anyway, I personally think he has plenty of musical talent – though he wasn’t the best vocalist – he was certainly the most consistently himself on stage and as any musical artist can tell you, that is the holy grail of performing. An audience can sniff out a fake in seconds and they don’t like it.

I did notice a change in him near the end of the season where he seemed to become much more confident and secure in his persona – there was a definite shift near the end – not in who he is on stage but in communicating his true self more willfully on stage and I think that’s probably what clinched it for him.

Julia says:

Very interesting discussion, ladies and gentlemen.
    I too am one of the older and obsessed David Cook fans.
    My theory on why David needs love so much. His brother has battled caner for 10 years; living in a family with somoene who needs 100% care, attention and love leaves little emotion for any one else. Living so close to death also sharpens goals and redefines happiness in so many ways.

Mel says:

The line of his mouth extends beyond the end of his lips, suggesting that someone stifled his soul expression growing up. Goes with the scar tissue in his Self Confidence databank.