In An Education, Carey Mulligan plays Jenny, an English schoolgirl who is seduced by the charms of an older man.
What fun, to read this fresh-faced newcomer. Doing this kind of aura reading research, it’s a shift from the usual alternatives to pre-Oscar buzz. We don’t have to gossip about Ms. Mulligan’s social life, repeat recycling quotes, or speculate about what motivates her as an actress.
No no, we get to use energetic literacy instead, that distinctively third millennium skill.
Energetic literacy research as film criticism — the background
I have an annual custom of comparing auras of top-nominated actors with their auras in roles; it’s a way to show that deeper perception can be practical.
Use this Energy Spirituality Aura READING link to learn more about my method of using energetic literacy. Check out the photo of the actress playing herself here, perfect for comparing to the aura that can be read in her movie-role photo above.Incidentally, you’ll find a lead-in to this year’s sequence of research on Academy Award nominees at this Aura Reading Film Critique blog post.
Read along with me, using the photos of Carey as herself and of Carey as Jenny. Or, if you simply saw the movie — which I haven’t, incidentally — comment away, please.
Note: Over time, links can go bad. And legally I don’t have the rights to show celebrity photos, so I can’t display them here other than providing links. But you can easily go over to Google, type in the person’s name and the blog post date, then search on images. Click on a good image, preferably current with the time of the reading here at this blog.
Root Chakra Databank for Presence in the Room
- As Carey: Excited young owner of remarkable charisma, Carey reminds me of a kid on a bike. She has just learned to ride. Now the training wheels are off and she is zooming around the block in a state of skill mixed with terror and ecstasy. Deeper within, I notice the uncanny poise of an old soul, assessing reality cooly in the background.
- As Jenny: In role, in this shot, the teenager is confused, lacks charisma, and feels that the pain in her life is nearly unbearable. This character, at this point in the film, doesn’t have much inner resourcefulness. Nor is she enjoying her youth.
- Chakra Change Point: 1 is won, and with it my admiration. This character is, so far, an entirely different person all the way down to the level of personal reality at the root chakra.
Belly Chakra Databank for Sex Appeal
- As Carey: Ingenue-style sex appeal is huge, replete with playfulness and a sense of her power to attract. The ownership of all these attributes is still so new, and delightful. Sexual charisma is huge and, for now, energetically very clear.
- As Jenny: No charisma. No delight. Only shame. The projection of sex appeal goes down to about three inches, reading the character at my usual third layer out (as I do for such aura readings). Compare that to a boisterous “Fills the auditorium” effortless energy flow for the real deal actress.
- Chakra Change Point: 1 is awarded along with my delight. Why delight? See the conclusion of today’s post.
Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Using Power
- As Carey: Strong-willed to the point of cheekiness, this young actress is full of herself. You bet she uses her power in relationships, testing away as she goes, learning how much she can get away with. Parents have done a fine job of accepting this very spirited child.
- As Jenny: Little power shows, and the main quality involves sorrow. Such sorrow in such a young person, the sense of “Game over”!
- Chakra Change Point: A depressing, but admirable, 1.
Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Self-Awareness
- As Carey: Yes indeed, behold the diva! Young though Ms. Mulligan may be, she has the emotional self-awareness of a well traveled middle-aged woman, someone who has been through many an adventure, risked a great deal emotionally, and always learned no matter what. (Folks who don’t yet believe in reincarnation, how can you possibly explain such an aura-reading databank?)
- As Jenny: Small self-awareness, depression, victimhood.
- Chakra Change Point: Yes, a 1 must be given, but I am starting to protest. In this scene, at least, it’s a very one-note performance. Reminds me of an article I wrote decades ago for Bestways Magazine, a recipe glorifying soybeans and tofu (my big favorite delicacy back in the day). If I remember correctly, the menu was all soy, from appetizer to main dish to sides and desert. Yum but yechh.
Throat Chakra Databank for Communication Charisma
- As Carey: Full of herself, as well as filling the theater. Again, there’s a sense of personal power and having, for the moment, the most enjoyable ego trip imaginable.
- As Jenny: Small, depressed, helpless, victimey.
- Chakra Change Point: 1, only by now I’m thinking sameness and soy.
Third Eye Chakra Databank for Connection to Spiritual Source
- As Carey: Tremendous connection, uncanny insight into people, and that relatively rare talent for empaths — Carey Mulligan is a molecular empath. This means having an extremely unusual ability to move into the experience of other people, traveling by means of consciousness, into the finest fabric of the self. Another advantage of such a gift is the ability to jump-start evolution in others, a kind of aura-level byproduct of doing empath merge.
- As Jenny: Small, dingy, depressed, connected to nobody.
- Chakra Change Point: 1 is, sigh, given yet again.
Definitely 6 out of 6 Chakra Change Points have been awarded, which is a monumental achievement for any actor. Less thrilling, the rather one-note display in this moment of the film suggests there still is room for artistic growth, better choices, more depth of characterization.
However, I am impressed about being willing to go unsexy, for the sake of portraying the character honestly, if unflatteringly.
Not only did the actress make a personally courageous choice in this moment. Not only did she change the very fabric of her own aura. But I’m pleased that the director and Oscar nominees are on board with this transformation.
So often, and we may see it in this year’s set of 10 Academy Award Aura Readings, the sexy movie star changes other chakra databanks but leaves in place the humongous sex appeal.
Whether due to lack of acting skill, attachment to that sexual gift, or to sell movie tickets — this is the most commonly unchanged chakra databank in an Oscar-nominated performance. Artistically, it’s refreshing to find the character sculpted completely as a unique person, different from the actor.