First, meet the courageous actress in her more glam role as movie star.
As Precious, in “Precious,” Gabourey Sidibe plays a pregnant teenager who struggles to overcome years of abuse at the hands of her parents.
It’s a gritty movie, to put things mildly. I saw a short clip while in Japan… because I was watching Larry King with Mariah Carey as guest. Ah, cable TV in Tokyo, my lifeline to chit-chat in English! Watching that evening’s show, discussion of the movie was within my comfort zone. Watching even that very short clip was not.
Even as a skilled empath, I’m still very careful what I expose myself to. Had Precious come to me for a session, I’d help her all I could. But, to me, watching a movie and suffering along with the characters doesn’t help a thing.
Still, doing aura reading movie criticism IS helpful. Yes, let’s go on our merry way, raising consciousness of what will — I’m sure — eventually be considered “basic literacy” as this third millennium progresses.
And when millions of people read auras in depth and detail just as, now, millions can read words like those in this blog… then abuse won’t be able to hide for years as happened in the horrible life of Precious.
Energetic literacy research as film criticism — the background
Precious to me is the annual custom of comparing auras of top-nominated actors with their auras in roles; it’s a way to show that deeper perception can be practical.
Use this Energy Spirituality Aura READING link to learn more about my method of using energetic literacy. And you’ll find a lead-in to this year’s sequence of research on Academy Award nominees at this Aura Reading Film Critique blog post.
Read along with me, using the photos of Gabourey as herself and of Gabourey as Precious. Or, if you simply saw the movie — which I haven’t, incidentally — comment away, please.
Note: Over time, links can go bad. And legally I don’t have the rights to show celebrity photos, so I can’t display them here other than providing links. But you can easily go over to Google, type in the person’s name and the blog post date, then search on images. Click on a good image, preferably current with the time of the reading here at this blog.
Root Chakra Databank for Presence in the Room
- As Gabourey: I’m impressed with the actress’ sense of humor and desire to keep things real. She’s an idealist with big dreams who works hard to shape reality to fit her goals.
- As Precious: Nearly everything is exactly the same, except for the faintest tinge of added-on emotion. This is exactly what most actors do — play the self but get the face and voice right, speak the lines, hit the marks, and do a performance.
- Chakra Change Points: None yet.
Belly Chakra Databank for Sex Appeal
- As Gabourey: Confidence and personality are projected strongly.
- As Precious: Not much changes, except for some added-on emotion. It’s misery, a much clearer addition to business-as-usual than the add-on’s in our previous chakra databank.
- Chakra Change Points: 1/4. Making that strong a shift, all the way down to chakra databank level, is a huge achievement — one that most of America’s gazillion aspiring movie stars probably don’t manage. (No, I haven’t read them all. I’m just generalizing here. Reminding you, it is a VERY BIG DEAL to make a change all the way down to chakra databank level.)
Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Using Power
- As Gabourey: This is a definite growth area for the actress, and the person, as well. The technical term for what’s happening here is an energetic sub-routine. Instead of using power circuits to help herself claim power, Gabourey draws on her spiritual beliefs — third chakra circuits imported as a kind of survival strategy, turned habit.
- As Precious: Nothing is different except for a lack of oomph to the spiritual struggle.
- Chakra Change Point: 1/4 point is awarded, since there has been very minor change but definite change. I’d also place this change in the context of a person who isn’t terribly resourceful energetically. She has had to struggle really hard to make any change at all at chakra databank level.
Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Self-Awareness
As Gabourey: Unfortunately, there isn’t much emotional self-awareness. Instead, there’s a full array of self-awareness, emotions that are really about how other people view her, with her personal appearance often being a way that Gabourey feels evaluated. And, as a plus-sized woman, especially in anorexic Hollywood circles, that must be an everyday experience for sure.
Real-life Gabourey reminds me a great deal of the fictional role played by Helen Mirren in her Oscar-nominated performance as Sofya. Only for Ms. Sidibe, this is her Ph.D. program for evolution in this lifetime, not the artistic choice of a seasoned and mega-talented actress.
- As Precious: Very little changes, really. A slight tinge of victimey energy is added to business-as-usual in this chakra databank.
- Chakra Change Points: None can be given here, but I certainly feel compassion for what that is like, caring so much about how others feel about her. In a role where everyday life means incest and emotional abuse, the social horrors would be even worse than otherwise.
Everyone goes through times in life, from teenage years on, of being painfully aware of judgments by others. But this is separate from having one’s own emotions and being aware of them.
Everyone has at least one gift of the soul for emotional self-awareness. Only STUFF can be configured to such an extent, as evidently has happened for Gabourey Sidibe at the time of this photo, so that soul-level gifts for emotional self-awareness can’t be accessed.
In such a case, the pain is exceeded only by the deep-down numbness.
Throat Chakra Databank for Communication Charisma
- As Gabourey: Honesty and the courage to perform are the standout qualities. They particularly stand out in the context of being a human being. Among a group of actors, there really isn’t a whole lot of standout. It’s a bit reminiscent of my detailed aura reading of the late, sweet Brittany Murphy.
- As Precious: Little is different, except for a very faint overlay of anger.
- Chakra Change Points: 1/4. That character’s anger is palpable. I think it’s worth noting given all the pain and STUFF stuck in the actress’ aura (contrasting to the role played here) that Gabourey doesn’t normally resort to anger. So it probably took a lot out of her to move into an emotion that, normally, she steadfastly refuses to experience consciously.
Third Eye Chakra Databank for Connection to Spiritual Source
- As Gabourey: This is the Sandra Bullock style of spiritual connection (see Oscar Nominee blog post #1 of 10). This firm and true abiding faith brings security but not much change over time. It’s a very small projection, energetically, in this chakra databank.
- As Precious: Faith (of this Fundamentalist kind) is deepened. The character turns to her religion to seek a way out of limitation and bitterness. Beautiful!
- Chakra Change Point: 1. No wonder people love this movie!
With 1 3/4 Chakra Change Points, this new star has given an amazingly courageous performance.
I’m tempted to give Gabourey Sidibe extra Consolation Prize Points as well. Confident little Carey Mulligan practically had a romp of a role, compared to the horrors of playing Precious. Imagine voluntarily going to work on a set where, day after day, you are living the emotional equivalent of torture. You couldn’t pay me enough money to take such a job.
Frankly, if you offered me a cool million dollars just to go see the movie, I’d have to think long and hard about whether or not to accept. Of course, I have ways to move STUFF out of my aura. But even so I’m not terribly eager to imprint my subconscious mind permanently with suffering, and for what purpose?
Applaud the courage of Gabourey Sidibe, sure. But run from that movie!