“Up in the Air,” George Clooney plays Ryan Bingham, who makes his living firing people and who prides himself on the absence of emotional connections in his life.
Although I haven’t seen this movie yet, I have had a client who had exactly that job. “Joe” didn’t pride himself on the absence of emotional connection but he numbed himself pretty darned well.
When Joe first came to me for Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis®, he was taking medication for narcolepsy, the illness where a person mysteriously falls asleep “for no reason” in the midst of everyday activity.
We were able to move out frozen blocks that still numbed out his life, and to such an extent that Joe was able to completely discontinue that medication, with his doctor’s blessing. Theoretically, I ought to see this film as a light-hearted chaser to the stiff drink of working with Joe, session after session. Plus there’s the delight of watching Swooney Clooney, a particular favorite of mine.But can the man act? That’s the tough question I’ll attempt to answer here, Chakra Change Points and all.
Energetic literacy research as film criticism — the background
Yes, I have an annual custom of comparing auras of top-nominated actors with their auras in roles; it’s a way to show that deeper perception can be practical.
Use this Energy Spirituality Aura READING to learn more about my method of using energetic literacy. And you’ll find a lead-in to this year’s sequence of research on Academy Award nominees at this Aura Reading Film Critique blog post.
Read along with me, using the photos of George as himself and George as Ryan. Or, if you simply saw the movie — or, like Joe, you’ve had the merry job of sacking employees — comment away, please.
Note: Over time, links can go bad. And legally I don’t have the rights to show celebrity photos, so I can’t display them here other than providing links. But you can easily go over to Google, type in the person’s name and the blog post date, then search on images. Click on a good image, preferably current with the time of the reading here at this blog.
Root Chakra Databank for Presence in the Room
- As George: Reality is complex, serious, interesting, frustrating. And this actor finds the whole scene fascinating, wherever he is. George does bring a huge sparkle of charisma to every scene of his life, but there’s so much more to life than his own personal self to notice. Shocking but true — Clooney may enjoy that charisma but he has one of the smaller egos in Hollywood.
- As Ryan: Small notice of external reality is matched by inner dullness, with a tinge of sorrow beneath it all. The personification of narcolepsy, that’s this sad character.
- Chakra Change Point: 1 point is awarded for this major transformation.
Belly Chakra Databank for Sex Appeal
- As George: Warm, healthy and affectionate, this is a “good boy” version of sex appeal. And it is wildly intense.
- As Ryan: Oh, so repressed! Deep inside that tiny energy projection is somebody sexy, but the character’s showing at this chakra databank reminds me of the Chinese women of yore whose feet were bound.
- Chakra Change Point: Another 1 point has been earned. I do have the sense that Clooney’s huge innate cheerfulness makes it easier to play such a role. The character, at this point, is both depressing and humorless. At least the actor knows that there will be life again, after releasing this role.
Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Using Power
- As George: Omigosh, it didn’t occur to me to check for this until I has plunged into this chakra databank. But then, sure enough, I checked and yes. I would have to put George Clooney onto my Life List of the spiritually Enlightened. Every chakra databank is STUFF-free, filled with joy, very distinctively carrying the individuality of human, but supplemented by the very special serenity of the self-actualized. And every single chakra databank is balanced with the rest.
With Clooney, that individuality includes an exceptional sense of humor.
Okay, Rose. Back to work. In his “Power in Relationships” chakra databank, George knows everything will work out just fine. He doesn’t shy away from conflict. He doesn’t bully. Instead, he just knows himself to be powerful and uses that strength to advance his point of view.
- As Ryan: Ouch, how the man is stuck! He substitutes endless thinking about, replaying the past, then stopping the inner action and feeling about as motivated to move forward in life as a slug.
- Chakra Change Point: 1 acting point is accorded along with my Wow! Enlightenment! point.
Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Self-Awareness
- As George: Compassion for others runs deep. George isn’t only in touch with his personal emotions but he draws on this experience on a daily basis in order to understand other people and help them, as appropriate.
- As Ryan: Within the locked box of this character’s emotions, feelings do move through him beyond his control. And the big winner here is frustration. It’s like having cooties inside his soul.
- Chakra Change Point: One more 1 to the actor. His representation of this character is way more complex that the standard description for the movie, merely “a man who prides himself on the absence of emotional connections in his life.”
Throat Chakra Databank for Communication Charisma
- As George: Not a particle of shyness is evident here. The man loves to talk, is happy in front of a crowd, relishes talking one on one. He brings intelligence and heart to communication. Huge charisma happens but not because George is trying for it.
- As Ryan: Communication turns inward, much of it self-criticism followed up by “I don’t care.” It’s a pathetic life, to be sure.
- Chakra Change Point: Add another 1 to the total.
Third Eye Chakra Databank for Connection to Spiritual Source
- As George: Oh, the love! Skilled empaths, you definitely will enjoy doing a Skilled Empath Merge on George Clooney. Every day of his life is a dance with the Divine.
- As Ryan: No Skilled Empath Merge allowed here, okay? You really don’t want to go here, to the realm of Invictus and “Life sucks” and “Nothing but my personal intellect stands between me and a great big soul-sucking void.”
- Chakra Change Point: You guessed it, right? 1
Inch-ange the size of chakra databanks, is one of the ways you can tell George’s acting skills. Reading both photos at the third layer out, the Ryan character has about three inches of energy projected out of each chakra studied while that George character has 19 feet.
But it’s the quality behind the 6 chakra change points that matters most. Each artistic choice is very different from George Clooney. There’s overall consistency for the character but nuance as well.
I’ve read this actor in previous years and this is the first year that I have found him to be spiritually Enlightened. So he and Helen Mirren, both, have evidently crossed this threshold in consciousness.
Yes, I do believe this is the direction of human evolution at this time. It is so cheering to find one more example, a lighthouse for us all.