In “The Hurt Locker,” Jeremy Renner portrays William James, the author of The Varieties of Religious Experience.
Wait, no, that William James wrote an amazing book about mystical experience, definitely not this movie.
Ahem! In the nominated role, William James is a staff sergeant who thrives on the risk and danger of his job, which happens to include Varieties of Religious Experience. Oops, defusing bombs.
Gee, I guess that’s more likely to sell right now. In the first phot0, we have Jeremy Renner as himself. In the second, he is portraying the fictional William James.
Note: Over time, links can go bad. And legally I don’t have the rights to show celebrity photos, so I can’t display them here other than providing links. But you can easily go over to Google, type in the person’s name and the blog post date, then search on images. Click on a good image, preferably current with the time of the reading here at this blog.
Energetic literacy research as film criticism — the background
I have an annual custom of comparing auras of top-nominated actors with their auras in roles; it’s a way to show that deeper perception can be practical.
And, in this case, it’s also a wonderful sight of an actor who has, evidently, not has Botox.
Use this Energy Spirituality Aura READING to learn more about my method of using energetic literacy. And you’ll find a lead-in to this year’s sequence of research on Academy Award nominees at this Aura Reading Film Critique blog post.
Just for fun, I’ve selected a photo with the character shooting. Should be useful for one of our chakra databanks below.
Read along with me, using the above-mentioned photos. Or, if you simply saw the movie — which I haven’t, incidentally — comment away, please.
Root Chakra Databank for Presence in the Room
- As Jeremy: So much of this guy’s identity right now hinges on his sex appeal. He’s a hottie. Everywhere he goes, he’s a hottie. People love him because he’s such a hottie. Such is life!
- As William: (I’m reading the shoot-em photo here.) Wow, now William is Jeremy dressed up as a soldier, a hottie firing a gun. Wow, look at him now!
- Chakra Change Points: Not really, though I did get a kick out of this type of acting, more often found on the female hotties nominated as Best Actress.
Belly Chakra Databank for Sex Appeal
- As Jeremy: Ooh, that sex appeal is big. It’s solid. It’s practically hard in itself. Jeremy gets attention and that’s how life is and he’s loving it.
- As William: “I’m oh-so-desirable because I’m in a dangerous situation and so I might die. Wouldn’t that be a terrible waste of such a hottie?” Thought forms like this are liberally sprinkled over the soldier’s uniform.
- Chakra Change Points: None are on offer, although some of you Blog-Buddies might entice me to do a post some day on thought forms — what they are, and how they differ from the deeper kind of acting that changes a person down to the chakra databanks.
Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Using Power
- As Jeremy: A certain forcefulness displays itself, but it’s very ego-related. I have the impression that Mr. Renner cares a great deal about himself, his hottie-ness, his status, etc., and so he will throw in a bit of temperament to get the treatment he feels he deserves. But other than himself, there may not be many causes that he cares about passionately enough for using his power, one way or another.
- As William: “I’m so adorable, using my power in this manly way, fighting the enemy.” The actor doesn’t take much seriously, beyond himself, so how can we?
- Chakra Change Points: None. Again, there is a bit of a thought form being sent out.
Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Self-Awareness
- As Jeremy: A huge and rather exquisite range of self-awareness is on offer. So far, I’d say that this is Jeremy Renner’s real art form, paying attention to all the nuances of his personal emotions.
- As William: The usual emotions are available, only they are being disregarded slightly. It’s as though a fascinating and gorgeous face looks back at the actor in the mirror. But he is boldly averting his eyes slightly, perhaps looking at a spot on the wall. His peripheral vision still notes the charming sight of himself, but he’s pretending (and perhaps convincing himself) that he’s really more interested in looking elsewhere.
- Chakra Change Point: 1/4 point, at last! The usual self-absorption is being, heroically, slightly, interrupted.
Throat Chakra Databank for Communication Charisma
- As Jeremy: Charisma is here, the kind that can fill a theater. Sex appeal still comes first. But the verbal variation has impact like this: “Yes, I’m such a hottie. I know you find me irresistible and can’t help paying attention to me. Well, listen to what I have to say.”
- As William: The character is a bit more rugged, dashing, courageous, romantically unavailable because of the war, which has him preoccupied. It’s totally Jeremy, but with Important Matters on his mind.
- Chakra Change Point: 1/4 point. Clearly the actor tried.
Third Eye Chakra Databank for Connection to Spiritual Source
- As Jeremy: Not much interest in “a God” is evident here. But this man has so very much to be interested in… about himself.
- As William: This poor character knows fear and loneliness. He seeks a spiritual connection but can’t find one.
- Chakra Change Point: 1. For this actor to convincingly move into a kind of life experience that isn’t all about him and being a hottie — yes, that’s acting!
Chakra Change Points? Well, he did manage 1 1/2, and I’ve seen worse over the years, reading Oscar nominees.
I always credit an actor for learning the lines, hitting the marks, etc. Obviously Jeremy Renner does a good job on the surface level, because not much deeper appears to be happening — not to this aura reader.
Sometimes an actor makes a career of combining a certain blankness on screen with strong sexiness. This enables the audience to project onto him (or her) whatever would round out the fantasy.
Jeremy Renner’s aura does suggest a great deal of blankness, or lack of differentiation as an individual. However, I didn’t notice cruelty to others, or substance abuse, or lack of charisma. For now he’s well positioned in life as an actor… except for that little matter of significant acting ability.