Name Change Research, Kathryn’s Triumph and Guest Post

Blog-Buddies, it’s always such a privilege when I facilitate the special kind of Aura Reading Research about names. So many of us are saddled with first and/or last names that wouldn’t work well for a horse and don’t work for us humans, either.

Kathryn formerly had a name that didn’t suit her at all. Let’s call it “Gladys.” Recently she did a session of Name Alignment® with me and found a name that produced glorious consequences for her full set of chakra databanks under investigation. (They ranged through topics like emotional self-awareness, career success, ability to earn money, and having a fabulous love life.) Name Alignment® is one of my very favorite uses for Energetic Literacy because it can make such a big improvement in a person’s life… so easily.

The next step is to formally do the name change, throw a party, make an announcement. After Kathryn shared hers with me, I requested (and received) permission to share it with you here:

There are moments in life when we reflect on who we are and who we wish to be, and have the opportunity to decide to select a path forward. When some people reach this juncture, they choose comfort, the status quo; others choose to focus on the possibilities for the future. This second alternative involves some amount of risk and often discomfort, but can have great rewards.

“The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.” —Charles DuBois

More often than not I choose the path least taken, the one that is fraught with challenge and adversity, for without risk and some adversity there can be no lasting reward worth receiving. My deepest conviction is that each of us possesses free will and has the ability to change our circumstances, to evolve to be what we truly desire, and to accomplish whatever goal we set our heart to and have the passion to pursue.

I recently made the decision to make a deep personal change, one that is not always easy —but as I found out through the exploratory process, much more common than I had expected. I have chosen to change my first name from Gladys to Kathryn.

Okay, you’re probably asking why!

There is no one simple answer to this question. However, this is not a decision that I came to overnight or without great consideration and a firm understanding of the challenges and complexities.

As I contemplated this change, I learned that changing one’s given name is a practice that is rooted in many spiritual and ethnic traditions. While in 21st-century America it might seem unusual to do so, to my great surprise my research showed that many, many people (including some members of this organization) have changed their first names. Often people pursue a name change as a part of a spiritual journey, to confirm with an ethnic tradition, or for a more personal reason, such as never liking the name, honoring a deceased relative, wanting to be like someone they respect, outgrowing the name their parents chose for them, or joining the witness protection program!

In my case, I always loved the name “Gladys” but have been drawn deeply to the name “Kathryn” for some time. The name “Kathryn” has two levels of meaning for me: a tie to a historic and ancestral past on one hand and the possibilities for the future on the other. Changing my name to Kathryn is a symbolic way to embrace life as a dynamic process requiring continual growth and transformation.

The courts of Fairfax, Virginia, have formally accepted my petition to change my name legally to Kathryn “Joe.” (Groan, I still have the heavy lifting to do: changing my social security records, passport, and bank and credit card accounts.) The  communication channels in this company will change over this weekend, but there will be some pages of the website that still refer to me as Gladys Joe. The legal convention is that documents signed when I was Gladys Joe should be left as is. But if you notice anything that puzzles you or you are sure should be changed, please contact me. My new email address is kathyrynjoe@gladys-land.com (though the previous email address will still get to me).

It will take about a year or so, I am told, for folks to get used to my new name. I promise to have a sense of humor if anyone forgets!

Kathryn Joe

Jordan says:

Congratulations, Kathryn! I’m going to do this some day. For my middle and last names, at least. (Blech! I don’t like my last name.)

Ann says:

Congratulations, Kathryn!

Rose, this is one amazing synchronicity. 🙂

As you know, I’ve had my name chosen through our research session on the back burner as I’ve contemplated the whole idea. It’s been a process of internally preparing myself to present myself to the world in my new identity as well as researching the external factors.

I’ve had the forms mostly ready to go since June and in recent weeks have felt many strong internal shifts, truly as if I’m staying a bit too long in an old skin. Then when circumstances conspired for us to have a session tomorrow, since I’d decided to go for it and take action on the name change, I decided that it would be great fun to be able to tell you in the session that I’d taken the step of filing the papers (it will still take 3 months for the process to be officially completed). So my goal was to go to the courthouse this afternoon.

Chills went down my spine when I checked today’s blog and saw your post about Kathryn! I read it and then went to the courthouse and did it. I filed my papers!

Kathryn, I’m wondering if the email address in the post is actually yours, and if so, if you’d be willing to have an email chat with me about your name change experience.

Ann says:

Something else along the name change lines I forgot to mention…

I noticed that Portia De Rossi, who was featured in the post you did on celebrity name changes, is legally changing her name to take Ellen’s last name, De Generes. I’m wondering what impact this will have on her life.

Great comments and question, ANN. 🙂

Re Kathryn, no, the email here isn’t a real one.(Think “Gladys” and “Joe.” As in “Kathryn Joe” for a name!)

However, I will discretely email her and another client who had a legal name change and invite them to email you. Congratulations on this big step forward.

It would be great if you could report back to our Online Community in a month or so after the name change is all done. What happens?

Bring on the stories!

Blog-Buddies, one of you emailed me asking about Name Change Research. These links can be helpful if you are considering such a thing for yourself, either doing it on your own as an aura reader or having me help to facilitate the process.

Aura reading research on names:

Thrill Your Soul Research:

Aura reading research on business names:

Jordan says:

Yes Ann (or.. what should we call you now?) and “Kathryn” I would love to hear how the name change has affected you, after you’re settled into it!

Lynne says:

I, too, changed my name. Over a year and a half ago, I worked with Rose in the fall of 2008. it took almost 8 months before I legally changed my name.

Travel to my son’s wedding and a need to feel that it was the right move took up the time.

My friends were curious and supportive. Some of my family was as well.

My life has changed significantly since I changed my first and middle names. These names are more clearly who I am and what I want to be.

Kate says:

This name change thing is interesting. It isn’t a priority for me to change my name and I’m not sure whether my name fits me or not. I like my name more as time goes by.

My real first name is Kathryn and people seemed to regard it as too formal when I was young so I began using Kate whenever I could.

I disliked my middle name, it seemed to have something to do with the flow of my whole name, until just recently.

When playing around with those numerology figures, my name did reflect the hardships I was experiencing, both Kathryn and Kate.

It would be quite challenging for me to choose a new one though.
    Also, lately I’m way less inclined to make choices on the basis of things like numerology from a book (and especially feng shui rules now) and have gotten better results with this energetic literacy stuff Rose writes about. (I’m on day 19 of the “Most Important Person” book.)

I’m aware that I get impressions when I read and hear other people’s names and I’m sure there can be better matches with people/names. I admire the commitment and other qualities required for one to change one’s name. Fascinating.

KATE, I applaud the reflectiveness and self-pacing in your response. You have demonstrated what I wish most for all you Blog-Buddies here at “Deeper Perception Made Practical,” clients, students, etc.

My role is that of a teacher at the leading edge, and I’m well aware that many of the passions and truths (from my perspective) are ahead of their time, not for everyone, etc.

This blog specializes in outrageous and counter-culture things (and oboy! wait until you see my most controversial book yet, the one in press now, “Magnetize Money with Energetic Literacy”).

It’s not done for shock value. Au contraire! By nature, I’m one of the biggest conformists and most timid controversy-haters you ever have met. Only my passion for the truth and excitement over making discoveries keeps causing me to be in that leading-edge position. About a decade ago I finally got used to it.

Regarding the Name Change Research concept, or anything else offered you here, I don’t want you to nod and say, “Yes, yes, yes.” I want you to think.

Use that self-authority that God gave you along with the rest of your GIFTS. You are the one who decides what is right for you, including sticking to that name for right now.

Keep in mind, God gave you your GIFTS. Your parents gave you your name. Or, for some people, a spouse or ex-spouse, or other source of karma that was not unmixed delight.

Also — hold on, I think this one deserves to be its own comment….

However, KATE, you might want to question the concept of “My whole name has always sounded too powerful and grownup for who I believed myself to be.”

Just yesterday I went shopping and tried on some dresses. It’s so tempting to try on a dress and think, “This is a great dress. It is cute and sexy and perfect in every way, only I don’t quite have the body for it. When I lose five pounds, though, that dress will look so great on me.”

In other words, Kate, I invite you to reconsider your old way of regarding this name. Is it really “too powerful and grownup for who I believe myself to be”?

That interpretation implies that you have a certain identity, or even destiny, to become a certain kind of person.

What if you NEVER had it in you to become that kind of person? Maybe your way of being powerful and grownup is on a completely different vibration.

The practical point is this. If you DO wind up researching a name for yourself that would fit you better, please research it for you as you (effortlessly) are right now.

Grace (formerly Ann) says:

Kate,

I’m the one who just last week filed the name change papers and after reading your comment,thought it might be helpful to fill in a bit of information from the process I went through.

I honestly thought the name change thing was pretty weird and flaky a while back. I’m not at all the type to do wild, New-Agey things for the attention. I’ve come to learn that I’m basically wired to do the unconventional and there’s always been a bit of tension inside between that and a conventional part of me.

Several years ago I really became committed to following my intuition and that was key to the entire name process. I didn’t sit down and think about a new name. I wanted to ditch the ex-husband’s last name – a no-brainer – and kept getting intuitive hits on ‘Grace.’ I thought that would be my new last name. I thought it was way too weird to change my first name, too!

In our research session of a year or so ago, I learned that Grace as a last name wouldn’t be great. Rose suggested trying it out as a first name, so she researched that and it was great. I had no clue about a last name, since this was a whole new concept. She suggested I just pause and see what came to me. Two names popped into my mind, we tested them and the one I’ve chosen is the second one tested. So it wasn’t like I sat down and thought up these new names.

Even though I was excited about the prospect of how my life could change,I wanted to sit with the decision, think it through. I’ve made a few choices I later came to regret based on suggestions by different teachers and I definitely wanted to be sure I wasn’t just blindly doing what Rose was ‘telling me’to do — not that she even operates that way, but still, I wanted to be clear that I was ultimately making my own decision.

So this is why it took me over a year to take action. It was all about listening, feeling my way through it, using common sense, and being sure that this was ultimately my own decision. I wanted to be sure that internally I felt strong and certain enough to be able to tell people of this change and to be prepared for any response.

That’s basically what ended up happening. I just kept getting the guidance to do it and realized that the consequences of not doing it would be worse than doing it.

I tell you this with the intention of supporting you in your process and in supporting Rose’s response to you. I went at my own pace and took my sweet time about doing something that at first struck me as quite strange.

Kate says:

Thanks to both of you, Grace and Rose for your responses. Now those are two lovely names, Grace and Rose. After reading blog posts elsewhere regarding the “one word” concept in the book/film Eat Pray Love, grace is the word that popped into my mind that I’d most love to take in.
    After reading your process, I admire you even more; I can kind of get how that process must be like. I’m simply not there yet.
    I’m looking forward to your new book Rose. It’s time the hot air and broken-record-type hype is released from the subject as it’s been presented. The info out there now may have been a necessary stepping stone but I welcome more clarity, fine tuning and evolvement. It’s great to have this to look forward to.