Spiritual Healing vs. Psychological Healing, a Quiz

You might need this quiz. Trust me. Many people are deeply confused about which type of healing they’re doing.

Psychological Healing and Spiritual Healing are radically different models, good for very different things. Because both types of healing involve inner life, it’s common to mix them up. And thereby waste a great deal of time.

Similarly, using a dishwasher is quite different from using a garbage disposal. Both are valuable appliances that could be located near each other. Both could go under the general category of “cleaning your dishes.” But beware that crunching sound as you fling your cups and saucers into the wrong appliance!

Well, many a seeker of healing is aiming for one type of cleaning but getting the other. For instance, many New Age experts are widely considered to practice spiritual healing. And really they’re using a model of psychological healing to discuss spiritual matters.

Be a smart consumer. Your quality of life could depend on knowing the difference between psychological healing and spiritual healing.

So, go ahead, answer TRUE or FALSE to the questions below. Answers will come in our next post.

1. Spiritual healing and psychological healing are always clearly labeled appropriately.
  2. Both spiritual healing and psychological healing, done expertly, bring cumulative benefits.
  3. Both spiritual healing and psychological healing, done responsibly, involve taking the healing journey one day at a time.
  5. For spiritual healing to work, you have to believe.
  6. God can tell if you really believe, and will refuse to help you if you don’t truly believe.
  7. If the practitioner truly believes in God, spiritual healing can happen — even if the client doesn’t believe.
  8. Spiritual healing is done by means of a spirit guide.
  9. Both psychological healing and spiritual healing require that you work through your issues.
  10. The key to psychological healing and spiritual healing, both,  involves resolving your traumas and conflicts from the past.
  11. Any self-help article in a magazine or on a blog probably involves psychological healing, whether the topic is supposed to be spiritual healing or psychological healing.
  12. Both psychological and spiritual healing can help a person to become spiritually Enlightened.

primrose says:

1. I doubt it. Not if spiritual healers can’t agree on what their modalities are.

2. I assume so, although I’ve done very little spiritual healing, what I’ve done seemed as effective as psychological healing.

3. I don’t really understand the question. It’s too vague for me.

4. Yes, I agree with that.

5. No I don’t think belief has anything to do with results, and that’s true for lots of things.

6. Well, I don’t believe in God, but I can’t imagine belief in what God might think if you has any bearing on whether healing will work. I reckon it will work for atheists and people who feel guilty.

7. No, I think it helps if a healer had SKILL never mind belief.

8. I’ve done a bit of healing and I don’t have a guide. So that’s my experience, although I don’t know much about healing really.

9. I’d imagine so. Doing NAET which is an energy treatment I felt a physical change immediately, and then an emotional shift came layer.

10. Certainly that’s true for psychological healing, spiritual I’d imagine it is, but I don’t know for sure.

11. I don’t read that kind of stuff!

12. I’m not sure what being spiritually enlightened is, so I couldn’t say. For me my goal is to be “stuff” free and that’s good enough for me, however I get there. so far psychological healing has helped a lot, I hope spiritual healing will too.

Alexey says:

1. false
    2. false
    3. true
    4. true
    5. false
    6. false
    7. true
    8. false
    9. false
    10. true
    11. true
    12. false

Amy O' Rourke says:

Okay I’m going to hazard my guesses.
    1 False
    2 False
    3 True
    4 True
    5 False
    6 False
    7 True
    8 False
    9 False
    10 False
    11 True
    12 False

Jody says:

My quizzy answers are:

1. Spiritual healing and psychological healing are always clearly labeled appropriately.
    – False

2. Both spiritual healing and psychological healing, done expertly, bring cumulative benefits.
    – True, I think they both help the client see dysfunctional patterns stored within their subconscious, and then they can make different life choices in the future.

3. Both spiritual healing and psychological healing, done responsibly, involve taking the healing journey one day at a time.
    – True, for me LIFE is taking one day at a time.

4. If you really want results, both spiritual healing and psychological healing require courage and honesty.
    – True

5. For spiritual healing to work, you have to believe.
    – False, but spiritual healing can help a client start to believe in more appropriate directions for their personal journey.

– False, it is not possible for God to refuse a request for help.

7. If the practitioner truly believes in God, spiritual healing can happen – even if the client doesn’t believe.
    – Um, false?

8. Spiritual healing is done by means of a spirit guide.
    – False, it is done by means of the facilitator and Higher Level Beings. And they need the client’s permission.

– False, spiritual healing is like what Jeffrey Chappell mentioned about a dog shaking water of itself. Although I do have insights after working with Rose, but maybe that falls on the psychological side?

10. The key to psychological healing and spiritual healing, both, involves resolving your traumas and conflicts from the past.
    – True, does resolving also mean removing?

11. Any self-help article in a magazine or on a blog probably involves psychological healing, whether the topic is supposed to be spiritual healing or psychological healing.
    – True, from what I have seen and read in magazines and on blogs.

12. Both psychological and spiritual healing can help a person to become spiritually Enlightened.
    – Um, true

Amanda says:

Happy New Year all,

My answers are:

1. False
    2. True
    3. True
    4. True
    5. False
    6. False
    7. True, probably useful if someone does!
    8. False
    9. False
    10. True
    11. True
    12. False

Very interesting, Rose, I’d never really thought about it before. For me the difference is that when spiritual healing happens the issue just isn’t there any more, and psychological healing involves understanding it.

Carol says:

12 True

Bernie says:

False!

Both can do, yes.

Not necessarily.

True.

5. For spiritual healing to work, you have to believe.

Definitely false!

What is this God of which you speak?!

It really hasn’t much to do with belief or concepts…

8. Spiritual healing is done by means of a spirit guide.

Some practitioners may use such concepts but the answer is nevertheless false!

You may not need to work through issues (though you may!). Perhaps just letting go of them will suffice!

Sometimes yes. Other times just releasing is better.

As you have included the qualifying word ‘probably’ I must say true!

True!

😉

Anne says:

This seems far too complicated. Psychological healing is about bringing balance to oneès self. spiritual healing is about reaching out, mindfully and with compassion, to other’s and the world.

ANNE, what an intriguing and definitely contrasting point of view, compared to mine. I wonder if you are a professional healer. And, especially if not, might I ask how long have you been involved in spiritual healing? And in what ways?

In my particular experience, I have encountered quite a few practitioners who might have used a definition like yours.

* Often (not always) they were beginners.
    * Usually (not always) they didn’t have skills or training, other than their own intent to reach out.
    * As has been reported to me (as well as experienced by me), many who believe “spiritual healing is simple” aren’t especially effective at bringing results to the people they have tried to help.

Again just my point of view, but I find it interesting that people who enter into charging for their services at psychological healing tend to have received training. Whereas the field of spiritual healing, even at the start of this third millennium, is like “Anything goes.”

Many a truly talented practitioner isn’t effective yet because of disdain for learning anything more specific than “reaching out” or having compassion.

So would you like to share a bit more with all of us about the basis for your definitions?

Sarah says:

Rose, I am so glad you are writing about the difference between spiritual and psychological healing. I have been a client of many different kinds of healing. And I have been trying to find a modality that feels authentic to me, to use myself, to be a professional at.

Yet I haven’t been able to find that thing or approach that feels right to me.

I feel like I am called to do something deep and healing with people, but an approach that feels right to offer has eluded me. I have a sense that understanding the difference between these kinds of healings might help me. Thanks for your complex and grounded contribution!