James Franco, Aura Reading #9 for 2011 Oscar Nominees

Annette Bening Aura Reading

In “127 Hours”, James Franco portrays Aron Ralston, a lone hiker who becomes trapped when his arm is pinned by a boulder. Yum, just the kind of movie I would never, ever voluntarily see.

Hey, I’m game for aura readng research anyhow. So here goes.

Are you ready to join me? Do you know what on earth I mean by terms like “energetic literacy” and “chakra databank”? If not, take a look at this introductory post about movie reviews with energetic literacy.

Here is the actor’s image as James Franco, playing himself. To enlarge the photo, use this Energetic Literacy for James Link. Copy onto a document and pull those corners! I’ve treated you to two images; will be using the clearer Cover Boy photograph for today’s research.

Comparison research is based on the photo at the start of today’s post, in James’ performance as Aron. To enlarge the photo, use this link called “Energetic Literacy for James’ Performance.” Copy the picture onto a document and pull those corners!

Note: Over time, links can go bad. And legally I don’t have the rights to show celebrity photos, so I can’t display them here other than providing links. But you can easily go over to Google, type in the person’s name and the blog post date, then search on images. Click on a good image, preferably current with the time of the reading here at this blog.

Now, let’s go forth, one chakra databank at a time.

The Reality He Lives in: Aura Reading Databank at the Root Chakra

• As James: What a socially based man! Franco’s reality is wide, not deep. He could have been born for Facebook or other social networking concepts that spread out a person’s identity in a lifelong popularity contest.

James’ reality is, largely, about image. “How successful was I at conveying this hard-to-get image?” “Today, I did extra shades of bad boy. Did you notice?”

This guy’s good at summoning forth popularity. And knows it. Which gives him a certain kind of cockiness.

The other screamingly loud thing I notice about James Franco is the lack of strength in his aura. The surprisingly small databanks in his root chakra and elsewhere suggest to me that Franco has been pursuing The Anorexic Ideal to the detriment of his physical comfort. Perhaps some of you Blog-Buddies also know if this star’s history includes partying hard,  including party drinks, party chemicals.

This aura reader wouldn’t have expected the handsome, studly star to be so inwardly vacant.

• As Aron: James is playing himself, dressed up for hiking.
  • Chakra Change Point: 0

Sex Appeal: Aura Reading Databank at the Belly Chakra

• As James: Two different projections show within this chakra databank. Most notably, there’s a strong “manufactured” projection, for the benefit of others, about being very sexy and desirable, really hot; also sometimes macho and other times sensitive.

Deeper down, I notice a similar listlessness to the regular sex appeal chakra databank in James Franco. Can this man perform sexually? Based on this chakra databank, sure. Except, sex (and sex appeal) are mostly a big game for Franco.

If you have read Aura Reading Through All Your Senses, perhaps you remember the chapter about sex and what goes on, aurically, when two people open up to each other while making love. James doesn’t seem to have much capacity, at the time of his full-length photo, to open up deeply to anyone. He lives on the surface, causing others to notice him, then responding to their responses.

This, his sex appeal is about power more than innate interest in sex — much like what made Angelina Jolie and Madonna sex symbols. Except that James has something extra, a wide-ranging emphasis on relating to as many people as possible, projecting that sex appeal.

• As Aron: Sex appeal is turned up slightly. And did I mention that studly James is dressed up for hiking?
  • Chakra Change Point: 0

Power in Relationships: Aura Reading Databank at the Solar Plexus Chakra

• As James: Finally aura reading reveals some oomph! James has something to prove. He would like to assess where he stands in relationships. Because the best part of relating to others is having higher status. Power, for the sake of dominantion, means a great deal.
  • As Aron: James’ usual independence and confidence have been turned up a bit compared to normal. Undoubtedly the real acting contrast in “127 hours” would be during the suffering part of the movie, before and during and after the arm cut-off part. Presumably Aron would move out of power then, or struggle, or something very fascinating. So the moviegoer would witness real contrast.

However, I’m only reading the two paired photographs of actor and role as I do for all the rest of the Oscar nominees. A pre-self-amputation photo is not generally included. Therefore…

• Chakra Change Point: 1/8

Being in Touch with His Own Emotions:  Aura Reading Databank at the Heart Chakra

• As James: In touch with his own emotions? Not really. This chakra databank is out about 1/8 inch, in “Turned-off” position.

By contast, James’ Heart Chakra databank about “Social Intelligence” — reading emotions of other people — goes out about 90 miles.

• As Aron: Perhaps there is a slight nuance, as Aron ignores his personal emotions, where the character seems slightly more studly than usual. You know: Just a whiff more independent about ignoring emotions.
  • Chakra Change Point: 1/16

Communication Charisma: Aura Reading Databank at the Throat Chakra

• As James: This databank is similar to the one read earlier about sex appeal. James projects a very strong “Notice me” to a particular frequency, one that I don’t quite get. It doesn’t appeal to me. I don’t understand it. Maybe a generational thing?

Otherwise, the main part I do notice; this part of his “Communication Charisma” databank is not a player’s projection but more who Franco is as a person. The quality here exudes extreme self-confidence and the expectation of getting exactly what he wants.

• As Aron: Charisma characteristics are slightly more focused. Would I count that as a change, however? Not really.
  • Chakra Change Point: 0

Spiritual Connection: Aura Reading Databank at the Third Eye Chakra

• As James: If anyone is going to be worshipped by this self-sufficient popularity seeker, it will be himself. A sense of compelling self-fascination guides him in life. This could be a powerful way to impress others, as there is no shyness about being totally out for himself, even spiritually.
  • As Aron: Interested in himself, not “a God.” This is, in short, business and aura as usual for James Franco. Had he been inspired by himself as a different version of himself being self-infatuated, I would gladly have scored James Franco a chakra change point. However…
  • Chakra Change Point: 0

Total Chakra Change Points: 3/16

Conclusion

Granted, this aura reader may not be praising James Franco enough because of her personal values. Rose Rosetree prefers life deep. Hence the name and contents of this blog. By contrast, I know that many people — and particularly many in Franco’s generation — prefer life wide.

• Is your first act on waking to check your cell for messages?
  • Do you visit with friends for a short time and then, by mutual consent, ignore each other while texting your other friends about where you are and whom you’re with?
  • Could social networking count as a major value for you.
  • Could it the wide electronic connections be a significant part of your social life?

If so, you might prefer the kind of identity and sexiness of James Franco offers here. Ironically, in a different movie I have critiqued for you recently, Jesse Eisenberg portrayed the ultimate social networker with tremendous depths, subtle nuance. Mysterious, right?

Any of you Blog-Buddies have perspective here? Do you consider James Franco much of an actor? Or do you just find him so cute that you don’t care?

Aleiah says:

Hi, Rose ~

I’m new to your blog community and this is my first comment. Here goes…

This reading of James Franco is so interesting! I’m only beginning to study aura reading and I’m amazed by what detailed information can be extracted through it, and this is definitely inspiring me big time.

That said, I found this reading to be totally validating of what my general intuitive reaction to James Franco as an actor/celebrity has always been. Shallow. Not quite penetrating.

When I see him in movies, an expression tends to form on my face… a sort of half-smirk of doubt, as in, “Mmm, I’m not really buying it.” In fact, I was disappointed to find out that he beat out Ryan Gosling (“Blue Valentine”) for an Oscar nomination.

This reading was fascinating to me, just in that, as I was going through it, my Inner Truth Resonator was going, “Yup…yup… yup…sure…yes, that’s certainly feels true, too.”

I’m young enough to be considered from the same generation as Franco, but I’m totally with you on the Deep vs. Wide thing. I need and prefer depth in my reality and relationships.

While I have used social networking stuff in the past and still do to a certain extent (I deleted my Facebook and MySpace accounts a while back), and while many of my friends and family still use it daily, there are things about the emerging digital-drive-thru-social culture that sort of creep me out. Ego tends to thrive in its shallows. Not my cup of tea. As for James Franco, probably not someone I’d enjoy hanging out with either.

Jordan says:

I thought there might be something more interesting to James Franco because of his varied interests. He has a bunch of degrees from all over (NYU and some Ivy League – not that he got in before he was famous) and is working on a Ph.D. now. All in artsy subjects, I think. Seems like a lot of work for some status points!

I’ve only seen him act in comedic roles, where I thought he was pretty good. Oh, I guess he was also in “Spider-Man”… Didn’t make much of an impact on me there.

He has always given off an “immature” vibe to me, like a kid trying to be cool. Now I know why he reminded me of being in high school. (Blecchh).

Jordan says:

Thanks for all these awesome readings, Rose and Elaine!! They’ve been soooooo much fun to read! Especially Colin Firth. He’s pretty awesome, huh?

Grace W says:

Thanks for another fascinating reading, Rose!

Maybe it is a generational thing; I’ve never understood the appeal of James Franco. I don’t even find him very attractive physically. Your reading spells it all out. Now I get why he’s never appealed to me.

While I always love watching the Oscars, I was disappointed when he and Anne Hathaway were selected to be the hosts. I think the commercials for the show have been pretty lame.

Yesterday I read your reading of Colin Firth. What a stunning performance! I just adore him and would’ve guessed he’s Enlightened. I could watch him read the phone book.

But a cocky, self-infatuated guy playing a cocky guy who made incredibly stupid choices? Not really my cup of tea, either, for entertainment.

Dave says:

I remember seeing Franco in a movie a while back, and although I was very excited to see the movie, based on its previews, I was very disappointed, angered even, by Franco’s performance.

It was lame and lackluster. He was acting how people expected such a character to act.

He was truly not inhabiting the role. He superficially assumed the characteristics that people believed such a character would have. It did almost seem like he was trying to win a popularity contest. Appealing to what he thought people wanted to see.

I also recently saw him in the movie “Date Night.” He plays a “gangster” with some sort of Italian/Brooklyn accent. In this role, he was off the mark again. His accent was incongruous and put-on, and I noticed a lack of depth or mastery in his performance. He was himself, caricaturing the character.

A friend tried to convince me to see this movie. “Two hours of JAMES FRANCO chopping off his arm?” Sounds about as painful as amputating my own arm…

Primrose says:

I am too long in the tooth I think to understand this beautiful boy’s charms, whether as a model or an actor.

Jody says:

I can’t quite understand this kind of way of engaging in the world, either. And sometimes it makes me feel very uncool and incompetent, or socially backwards or something, that I don’t “get it” or want to get it.

The only way I can see that a person would feel a sense of connection to others who relate to each other at this kind of wide-shallow level is through a group behaviour identity – “Everyone including me is doing it, so I belong too.”

And their identities kind of feed off each other. Like what Rose mentioned in Lady Gaga’s recent Aura Reading, a kind of Cult of Gaga where fans are given “relevance” passes by association.

I don’t think my brain can work that way anyhow, because it feels exhausting to even consider how much time is dedicated to maintaining, switching out, or deleting a gajillion whim-based surface aspects that have nothing to do with who I really am, or what kinds of things really sing to my heart.

I’m sticking with deep. 🙂

Jordan says:

Rose, I wonder if the lack of strength in his aura is from drugs? Everyone watching the Oscars seems to think he’s high. He does act like he’s high a lot.

Claudia says:

Rose, thank you for all of your readings. I have learned so much about chakras and human possibilities from them. You are truly a great teacher for me.

I was really looking forward to your reaading of Franco because, having seen his work on “General Hospital” and the promos for the Oscar’s, my reaction to him is one of annoyance and distaste. But I didn’t know why. And also have been mystified by his appeal, wondering what I was missing.

I’m too old to know if his appeal is a generational thing. I sure hope he’s not representative of what younger people, as a group, value.

Of course, your insights will provide good guidance to explore the stuff in my own chakras that gets stirred by Franco, but for now I’ll go back to enjoying the pleasure of soaking in the inspiring and awesome positive auric modeling of some of the other nominees.

Thank you, Rose, for your generosity to all of us blog readers.

Thanks so much to all of you who have been commenting here.

A special welcome to newbies ALEIAH and CLAUDIA.

As for you DAVE, you have had several wonderful comments recently. Did I ever officially welcome you, also, to Deeper Perception Made Practical? Yes, please consider yourself very welcome here indeed.

I’m going to miss you’all and your comments during the two-week trip coming up starting Wednesday, but will be back all Euro-perkified.

For now, hugs to you all!

— Rose

Amy O says:

I read this article the other day just before I read your aura reading of Franco.

It shows him in a very similar light!

“Has he seen The King’s Speech?

“Mmmm-hmmm.”

And?

“It’s nice.” A pause. “It’s very well made.”

Ha. What’s his reservation?

“I know I’m biased, but I don’t think it’s cutting edge. It’s a success story. Is he going to make the speech? You know he’s going to get it. He has a little coach, like Mr Miyagi in The Karate Kid, and he gets through it and makes the speech. It’s pretty safe.”

This little bit had me fuming!

As a 21 year old, I can say that I know exactly who he appeals to! My age or younger who obsess about celebrity and fashion, and strive to look cool, seem cool, be cool, impress others and get validation from others of their inherent coolness.

Sorry, the whole mindset gets me on a rant!

Jordan says:

Amy O., I agree somewhat with what you’re saying about trying to be cool, but I also think it’s a matter of taste.

I really liked the movie, but I get what James is saying. It’s a criticism I’ve heard and read before from people way older and less cool than James Franco. Compared to a movie like The Social Network, the story-telling in The King’s Speech was either classic or old-fashioned, however you want to look at it. The King’s Speech could have been made ten years ago, forty years ago, or forty years into the future and been just as relevant. Something like The Social Network is cutting edge, daring, a landmark of it’s time. I do think that is important.

grace w says:

Jordan and Amy,

I read the article you shared, Amy, and I agree with your opinion. What strikes me is Franco’s blase attitude toward “The King’s Speech,” a superficial description of the film, with no mention of the amazing acting job Colin Firth did. It’s the disrespect that strikes me. While we’re supposed to buy somehow how deep this guy is cause he’s studying literature. Please!

Also, later he goes on about making the scenes in his film real so that the audience feels the emotion. Did this not happen in “The King’s Speech”? He seems dismissive of the very same dynamic he describes in his own acting. To use Franco’s logic, we knew the guy would cut off his arm and get out of the hole. Big deal. A success story. To follow his logic.

I liked both “The King’s Speech” and “The Social Network” because they were well-written, the acting was great, and they were great stories. My response to Franco’s comments is that he shows how superficial he is. I’d throw in arrogant, too. The actors in “The King’s Speech” have been around a whole lot longer than he has and have been successful.

Jordan, I get how “The Social Network” is cutting edge and that, sure, there’s always a matter of taste related to movies. I work in an environment with a lot of 20-somethings, many aspiring to be in the fashion world, and many of them show a similar attitude as Franco, so these comments resonated with me.

Primrose says:

Having been a very contemptuous smart talking little 21 year who studied literature a million years ago, I understand Franco. I sneered at just about every good thing I ever read, every good play and film I went to see, every inspiring bit of art. Jealousy pure and simple. Once I felt a little bit better about myself and my own creativity, I didn’t need to sneer as much. I wish that for Franco.

Grace W says:

Primrose, your comments so often make me chuckle. This one did. 🙂 Thank you for that.

Primrose says:

You’re most welcome Grace! I really was a sneery little thing at 21. Glad to have left that behind, I hope!

Jordan says:

I just saw an ad for a new movie starring James Franco, and I thought “Hmmm, I used to like him, before that aura reading Rose did. Now I can’t help but see through him and his horrible acting.

Note from Rose: This is the start of a fabulous comment that I re-formatted as a guest post. See it here:

Great job, JORDAN.

Grace W says:

JORDAN, you’ve brought up some themes I’ve been mulling lately. I like that insight about ‘digital appeal.’ It’s really quite a different vibe.

[The rest of this coment by GRACE has been moved to a new thread, as well. See link at previous comment.]