Why do we get cords of attachment? The VERY best part

Concluding this two-part examination of “Why do we get cords of attachment?” I am happy to share with you an understanding that has slowly developed within me over the last decade or so.

Let’s lead up to this big-deal concept with an example of my favorite thing about why we have cords of attachment… and how cutting them makes such a big difference for moving towards Enlightenment.

Gladys felt lousy, due to her cord to Joe

Let’s say that the incident that got stuck in Gladys’ cord to her brother Joe involved his being verbally abusive, with a few slaps thrown in for good measure. Okay, let’s go into the specific cord items from a session with my client “Gladys.”

The incident stuck in this cord of attachment happened when Gladys was about 11 years old. Joe was 15. He had a history of hitting her.

Right before this exchange, the two of them were spending time together, as in walking past each other in the hallway while at home.

1. JOE: Out of nowhere, flies into a rage.

2. GLADYS: What did I do now?

3. JOE: Cruel words.

4. GLADYS: Trying to learn from the criticism.

5. GLADYS: Maybe I can improve myself. Maybe he’s telling me this because he likes me and wants to help me.

6. JOE: More digs at Gladys.

7. GLADYS: Starting to grow angry. This isn’t fair.

8. GLADYS: I have to say something.

9. (At that precise moment) JOE: Starts hitting her.

Evolution related to a cord of attachment

When Gladys and I discussed logical consequences, she appreciated the pattern of allowing other people to be really mean to her. It wasn’t merely that she was the physical “hitee” rather than the physical hitter, or the emotional “hitee” rather than the one flinging around hurtful insults.

No, Gladys would internalize the abuse and call  it “self-improvement.”

“Maybe I can learn something from this.”

Why?

Oy, did Gladys have buttons around this perpetual self-improvement thing.

Oboy, have we had some other sessions of RES Energy HEALING around this very theme. By now, Gladys is learning to make contact with objective reality, live as a skilled empath, use her speech and actions to improve on relationships.

Gladys and I both believe, at this point, that her personal Ph.D. at Earth School has been about being respectful to herself as a human. And training others to do the same.

Cords of Attachment and the Wheel of Karma

Another way to look at Gladys’ situation involves the idea of reincarnation and the wheel of karma. Reincarnation, of course, is the idea that people have more than one incarnation on earth. This is is undertaken for the purpose of that soul’s evolution. Because wonderful though it is to be an astral-level angel, you can’t evolve that way.

(More about that in my book now at the printer’s, Use your Power of Command for Spiritual Cleansing and Protection.)

Karma means consequences. They flow from thought, speech, and action. Good, bad, and mixed — karma, like the very notion of spiritual evolution — is an essential component of how reincarnation works. And why we even bother to incarnate at silly Earth School and other learning academies in the universe.

So when innocent young Gladys had a life contract where she grew up with creepy Joe, she was no innocent victim. Most likely, she had a rather extensive history with Joe. Or with somebody very much like him. Most likely she had played the abuser role with at least one cute role-reversal in more of a perpetrator lifetime.

We do go round and round, especially related to a favorite Ph.D. program in this life. Hence the expression “The Wheel of Karma.”

And cutting cords of attachment fits into this WHERE?

Lifetime after lifetime, a person twirls around on that wheel of karma. Depending on what happens between you and others, you get to use your free will to change outcomes. You also get to learn, no matter what.

Usually this spiritual evolution on earth continues with the back-and-forth, one lifetime after another. We need cords of attachment to keep us fastented to the evolutionary process of suffering, pressure, pain… intensifying the glory of growing.

So there’s a big answer to the question, “Why do we get cords of attachment?” They are usually necessary for keeping someone rolling around on the wheel of karma, evolving along the way.

Just because it has been the case, naturally, doesn’t mean that people can’t do anything about it. Let’s use the example of a woman’s fertility. Month after month, for decades, a woman is usually biologically programmed for fertility. She can bring forth children. And, as many women know to their shock, it doesn’t take much. Once is what it takes. (Ask Maya Angelou, for example.)

Getting pregnant is natural, and it serves a great purpose. Yet women and men living now have the opportunity to make choices around fertility. Birth control is available, and used widely. Guess which country has one of the lowest birth rates in Europe, for instance.

Italy.

Such a Catholic country, yet one where plenty of families have decided that a celibate pope and clergy may not be the most trusted advisers about birth control.

We’re living at a special time in the evolution of consciousness

That, I believe, is why today we have so many powerful new techniques for energy healing. Techniques of Energy Spirituality, Energy Psychology, Energy Medicine. Among those new techniques is the 12 Steps to Cut Cords of Attachment®.

Now, if I’m correct, millions of souls are finally getting ready to graduate from Earth School. Graduate as fully self-realized, self-actualized, fully Enlightened beings. And doing it as householders, not as renunciates.

So now, compared to other times in history, we have available powerful techniques of mind-body-spirit. They supplement what has gone before.

Sure, there have been traditional teachings for a long time. An example is how there are shamanic traditions of healing, ancient and beautiful traditions. Shamanic healers have a way of cutting cords of attachment.

With all respect, it isn’t nearly as effective as the more contemporary method available with today’s consciousness. I have heard this from clients who have worked with both types of healing practices. I have even heard this from professional shamanic healers, who have told me there is no comparison in terms of the results of the more current method.

Going back to the birth control analogy, there have been methods of birth control that go back a very long time. Only today’s methods work more reliably.

So there’s good reason why we have cords of attachment. And there’s also good reason why we have today’s technology for cutting cords of attachment.

Think about Glady’s cord of attachment to Joe in the context of the wheel of karma. An ancient back-and-forth between them…

This time around, Gladys handled the abuse well. She doesn’t have much of a relationship to Joe any more, except for seeing him at family holidays. Gladys has learned over the years to stop giving Joe extra chances.

But the karma was still affecting her every single day of her life, 24/7. That karma would have continued until her dying day, perhaps shaping her final thought at the time of death. (Maybe you know the significance of that final thought at the end of a lifetime…)

The dynamics of that cord of attachment were keeping Gladys on the wheel of karma. Even if she had resolved the relationship psychologically and behaviorally, she still was reliving that old struggle. Except that when the cord of attachment was cut, the karma stopped. During this lifetime.

The karma stops here. That’s what I tell some of my clients. Certainly it is true for this lifetime, and probably it is true more long-term than that.

Cutting a cord of attachment can end karma between people

That’s part of why we get cords of attachment, seems to me. We householders who are en route to Enlightenment.

A mechanism, built-into life itself, for creating educational energy structures — that’s the purpose cords of attachment have served for countless centuries. Only now, cords of attachment — and their removal — are helping today’s spiritual seekers to move boldly forward toward Enlightenment.

Never before have I written about this idea of “The karma stops here.” But currently this is my favorite thing about cutting cords of attachment.

Blog-Buddies, maybe today’s post will be controversial, and you’ll strongly disagree with my idea here. Or maybe you’ll find it really, really meaningful. Let us know with your comments below.

Curious to Know More says:

Wow!

Grace S. says:

Beautiful post, ROSE. Thank you.

Angela says:

Excellent article! I’m wondering if the karma is cleared for the individual on the other side of the cutting too?

Thank you, ANGELA, GRACE S., and CURIOUS TO KNOW MORE.

ANGELA, you have asked a really important question. No, absolutely not.

When you seek healing, in any way, you do not “clear karma” for another person.

Life on earth simply does not work that way, IMHO.

Even Jesus doesn’t “clear karma” or fix all problems for everyone on earth — at least not while on earth.

Again, my opinion. But you can find it pretty well documented in aura reading research in detail, part of the fun of my how-to book “Magnetize Money with Energetic Literacy.”

One more point that might clarify thinking for you about cords of attachment, ANGELA and other Blog-Buddies.

You develop a cord of attachment and a separate spiritual tie to Person X. Say “Joe.”

At the same time, he probably develops a pair of them toward you.

Because cords of attachment start up when you find another person strongly interesting.

Your cutting your cord of attachment to Joe does not affect him in the least. And vice versa.

For more details, you might look up “Divine Homeostasis” in a different how-to book, Cut Cords of Attachment, if you have a copy.

wondering says:

Is there a way to prevent developing cords of attachment to other people? I apologize if this question has been answered in your book. I still haven’t had the opportunity to read it.

Thanks!

Dave says:

Awesome.

WONDERING, it is pretty obvious from all your questions that you haven’t given yourself the opportunity to read “Cut Cords of Attachment.”

Nor have you taken the opportunity to even search on this blog and read hours of articles here.

Your enthusiasm is great. However, I am going to ask you to take advantage of these resources before you ask additional questions about cutting cords of attachment at this blog. (If you wish to book a personal session, we can do all the mentoring you wish during that time.) Questions at this blog need to be of general interest before I answer them. And I avoid answering the same questions again and again.

rei says:

Hi Rose, fantastic article! Gave me lots to think about, and I consider it a huge blessing that we are able to approach the possibility of neutralizing karma in this important time.

I have a related question. I work in mental health, and some clients are suffering a lot with all sorts of energetic wonkiness. I shield up before work, and yet notice when the clients leave I still have evidence of cording, which I address with the quickie method through Mikhail then more involved with your process if needed.

I notice it seems to happen even if I don’t find the client particularly interesting. It seems like even with a conscious will to remain unattached, the mere act of communicating verbally creates a cord. Sometimes I notice a shift in my energy before I even talk to any clients – I can sense the shift in my energy when some of them have arrived, before I hear or see them and am many feet away.

With this population there are several reasons why I ask you the following:

Is there any way to create a foolproof intention, to not establish or accept cording with a person or their energy, despite communicating with them or being around them?

I’ve tried different wordings and shield styles, and it seems I still need to “clean house” at the end of the day. I feel it would be safer for my energy, and would leave me with more resources to encourage divine healing for these individuals, to stop the cording process before it starts, and so far it starts even when I feel totally neutral and uninterested in the person. It starts before I even talk to them, when they are several feet away and I haven’t spoken to them at all.

Advice or suggestions would be infinitely appreciated!

Jennifer says:

I hadn’t been aware of the significance of a person’s final thought when they die. How does that affect someone?

Otherwise, REI, I can’t really go into detail about how you can solve problems that have arisen because you are, apparently, cobbling together a bunch of ideas you have gathered here and there.

Whether or not you choose to study with me — and of course I would love to help you — for heaven’s sake, stick with one teacher and method that really works for you.

The time to be ingenious is AFTER you have studied something that works.

I’m quite sure that the distress and confusion in your question would simply not be there if you were to follow the recommendations in Comments 11 and 12, above.

Good luck.

JENNIFER, according to my former guru, also my ex-guru, the late Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, there is a clear correlation between the last thought someone has at the time of death and the heaven (or loka) to which that person goes.

During the many years I spent studying personally with him — a total of a bit more than one year, done in periods lasting four weeks to two months each between 1970 and 1985 — he referred to this several times.

He also said that the last thought at the time of death has implications for the next lifetime on earth.

Welcome to this blog, REI.

It’s hard to even know where to begin to respond to your comment. It is obvious that you really could learn a lot from what I teach.

Instead of trying to creat a foolproof intention or experiment with wordings or shield syles, here is what I recommend, in order:

1. Become a skilled empath. For which, thank goodness, you don’t need elaborate things of the nature you have described.

Book recommendation: Empath Empowerment in 30 Days

2. Learn a quality method for cutting cords of attachment. This book is the only book in English on how to do that, and I have developed the only trademarked system in the U.S. for doing it:

Cut Cords of Attachment for Self-Healing

Amanda says:

This is such a profound idea, and what I think is most empowering about it is the idea that it’s not about ‘innocent victimhood’ as you said, but about learning so that the karma can leave.

If I look at an issue in that way it takes out so much blame and confusion and becomes a learnable task. What a way to gain perspective and cut through the inner confusion and suffering.

It’s so very strengthening and peace-making to find ‘right action’ without blame or confusion and this idea certainly makes it possible.

I never really understood the idea of karma or how it could help before: I thought of it as being ‘punishment’ rather than anything else, but adding this idea of it being a request to find resolution makes it so much clearer.

Recently in confusing situations I’ve found the qustion ‘What is trying to happen?’ very helpful and somehow this idea seems to fit into it.

Like Gladys I have learning to do around boundaries and respect so perhaps that’s why this post has such resonance. In any case, thank you.

Amanda

Sabine says:

Wow! Fascinating! I love reading your articles.

I am wondering what would happen if you cut all your main cords in one lifetime.

If you would be left with no karma in your relationships, would you come back again?

Or would past life karma keep you stuck on the wheel of karma. Kind of blows my mind to think about that.

SABINE, once I got rolling on the answer to your excellent questions, it seemed worth its own blog post. So I’ll be creating that today, working around session appointments.

So the wheel of conversation, if not karma, is definitely rolling MORE as a result of your inquiry.