Spiritual Addiction, Q&As

The first Rose Rosetree book discussing spiritual addiction

FAQs about spiritual addiction? It’s about time, right. For the last couple of years, I’ve been educating people about spiritual addiction.

• In my last book, “Magnetize Money with Energetic Literacy.” I wrote about this for the first time. Included is a chapter distinguishing spiritual addiction from Enlightenment.
  • In my upcoming how-to, “Use Your Power of Command for Spiritual Cleansing and Protection,” I take the understanding further. That requires clarifying a common cause of spiritual addiction, The Romance of the Astral.
  • In sessions of Aura Healing with Energy Spirituality, the topic has sometimes come up.

For one reason or another, so many of you Blog-Buddies have been seeking to know more.

Well, let’s get practical. Here are my responses to common questions. If you have additional questions, ask them below.

Q. What is spiritual addiction?

A. Spiritual addiction is an aura-level problem that produces real-life consequences. Everyone has hundreds of circuits within the aura called chakra databanks. Many of them are about human life, helping you to be effective as a person, balanced and happy. Others are about being a world server, assisting other people in the world, connecting to spiritual source, receiving psychic guidance.

Habitual imbalance can sneak up on a person, diminishing quality of life. Spiritual addiction is a version of imbalance where the human circuitry is ignored or, in other ways, not functioning as well it could be. Instead, world server circuits are over-emphasized in daily like… to a degree that shows on the level of chakra databanks.

Spiritual addiction means a very profound, habitual way of distorting the use of consciousness during one’s waking hours.

Q. So is this problem always the same thing for each person, showing up in the same way? You know, like a drinking problem. Booze is booze.

A. No. Variations on this theme are very personal. In general someone with a spiritual addiction has extreme under-functioning of the human chakra databanks and extreme over-functioning of the world server databanks.

Q. How can I learn more about this on my own?

A. One of my books presents a great deal of information about spiritual addiction, including illustrations. If you have any curiosity or concern about whether you might have a spiritual addiction, I recommend you get a copy of Magnetize Money with Energetic Literacy.

It could really help. Because the book offers solutions as well as understandings about spiritual addiction.

Q. What is different about learning about spiritual addiction during a personal session with you?

A. Spiritual addiction is not a one-size-fits-all problem. If I am helping you during a phone session or personal session, that includes doing a Skilled Empath Merge and talking with you directly.

This way, I can uncover subtle shifts of emphasis about your use of consciousness during daily routine. This could be very difficult to detect on your own, just because you’re so used to it.

I can give you practical suggestions and heartfelt encouragement, too.

Q. But isn’t it obvious, if you have a spiritual addiction?

A. Not at all. A person slips into it, like any vicious cycle. Because I have full energetic literacy, I can read what is going on chakra databanks and tell which of them are out of whack.

In a session, I can collaborate with you, should I find a spiritual addiction, so that you can make some modifications to business as usual, helping you to completely overcome this problem.

Usually this can be done quite simply, and within a couple of weeks.

Q. Could my spiritual addiction come as a result of a cord of attachment?

A. Absolutely not. One common problem I find with new clients is that they are just beginning to learn about cords of attachment, which is a good thing.

However, they don’t know enough yet to understand other aspects of reading auras in depth. So it is easy to assume that ALL energy related problems can be blamed on one person, or cord of attachment. Not so.

Q. But what if I’m just positive that a particular person is the cause of all my problems, so I just know that cutting that cord is all I need?

A. With all respect, please go to someone else for your session. Plenty of practitioners now offer cord-cutting sessions. If you go to a session with me, I take responsibility for having a quality set of skills that I use ethically and appropriately.

You don’t have to figure out your problems on the level of auras any more than you would go to a professional doctor and then tell the physician what to do. If your stomach hurts, you might have an accurate idea of the cause, but a doctor would have expertise for which you are paying, so why not trust it?

Q. Isn’t it good, making everything in your life spiritual?

An enlightened person does experience all life in terms of Divine connection.

Before enlightenment, it doesn’t help, trying to make yourself enlightened by noticing energy or praying without ceasing, etc. This is like putting the cart before the horse.

Q. Isn’t reading energy all the time the most important way to show I am spiritually cool and walking my talk?

A. No, it is a way to develop or exacerbate spiritual addiction. Better to do a powerful technique, consciously, for a short period of time. Receive quality information. Use other skill sets in conjunction, weighing in as a human being.

One chapter you might find especially relevant to your question is in Magnetize Money with Energetic Literacy: “Spiritual Addiction Versus Enlightenment.”

Q. Can you offer any practical suggestions for those of us who do have a spiritual addiction?

A. A way to start the healing — and for some people, all that you need to fully overcome such an addiction — is to manage your time more responsibly. Spend no more than 30 minutes per day doing any combination of mind-body-spirit activities — including energy reading, channeling, meditation, scripture reading, aura reading, feeling vibes, etc.

Time it! And no cheating, not if you’re serious about getting your life back.

Jean says:

Bravo, Rose!

So important to keep clear that the “Umbrella of spiritual addiction” can cover many aspects of human existence.

I especially liked the below passage I have excerpted:

I thank you Rose for bringing this information to us all.

Looking forward to learning more through your upcoming book.

On to a slightly different topic…..I have been obtaining vast enjoyment – and learning a lot – from the PBS program “My Life As A Turkey”.

Those turkeys – now they know how to live in the moment.

I must admit the possibility that turkeys do not have much of a pre-frontal cortex…. and that this brain structure may contribute to their seemingly effortless ability to live in the now…. with no pesky past or future to consider.

Yet even though I am not a turkey, I myself have been working to apply the lessons they teach to my own work on living in objective reality….. and thusly keeping clear of spiritual addiction.

Jean

LOL and thanks, JEAN.

Rachel says:

During my first session with you, Rose, you identified that I had a spiritual addiction.

Some days later I came upon what I think is a really cool quote: “Pray as though everything depends on God; live as though everything depends on you.”

With hindsight I can see that I was neglecting the second part of that quote, totally opting out of any part of life that needed me to solve problems or communicate clearly or address issues etc.

That’s changing!

However, I sometimes puzzle over one of Jesus’s sayings: “Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all the rest shall be added unto you.”

What do you think Jesus meant by this? Anyone have any thoughts?

Amanda says:

Hi Rachel,

I’ve thought about this too and done a bit of research.

It’s normal in spiritual practice to have this kind of experience where everything gets taken away then comes back. There are so many examples of seekers retiring fom life then returning to it.

A recent famous example is Eckhart Tolle who spent two years sitting on park benches in a state of bliss, with very little from an external perspective in his life. Now, of course, he is reintegrated but the understanding has come back with him.

It is also accepted that spiritual seeking involves times of very great stress on the mind.

So I would say when a spiritual addicition is identified and the impulse comes to get back to normal life, that is the perfect example of the second part of the statement you quote. The rest is naturally following, and the seeker has come naturally to that stage as part of this amazing process.

Looking at this kind of example has made me realise it’s all OK, every part of it, and that at a deep level it’s all working just as it is meant to.

🙂

Amanda

Ooh, such a good question, RACHEL. I’m devoting a blog post to the topic.

Check out this link, and thanks for the question: https://www.rose-rosetree.com/blog/2011/11/23/god-first-energetic-literacy-spiritual-addiction-psychic-guidance/

AMANDA, what gorgeousness! Thank you.

On reflection, AMANDA, I do want to point out that major life drama, like two years on park benches, is not necessarily required for one’s path to Enlightenment.

Far as I know, four people I know personally who are on my Enlightenment Life List here at this blog… each has had la life that appeared externally normal. They stayed employed, had a lot of stability in external ways, while inwardly they went through their own process of growth.

Of course, anyone who makes it onto Oprah will be of the fancier sort. Not to diminish the sweetness of Herr Tolle, but the sheer drama in his life story helped to make him TV talk-show worthy.

Grace S. says:

I wanted to add to this topic… Super fantastic article by the way. ROSE, I’ve really enjoyed it!!!!

One time you also mentioned that I was teetering on a Spiritual Addition too, I was rather baffled at the time. I really felt for once that I was hitting my stride, and feeling great.

Essentially, it was just another way to get high. (Mind you, I used to be a user, and was actually trying to avoid this type of behavior. So it was quite the wakeup call. I have an arm’s length relationship with the pursuit of Enlightenment now because of this, sounds too much like getting high… but the recent “Enlightenment VS Detachment” article was very, very insightful to me, again, shaking up my preconceptions – a big thanks to JILL ( and JEFFERY) again!)

Why I was baffled though, was because all I was doing was spending what free time I had going for lengthy walks in the woods, just doing my “spacing out thing.”

I noticed that someone else on the blog was baffled when a similar thing happened to them… as far as they were concerned, they were doing nothing spiritual whatsoever. ROSE, you had an interesting breakdown of the time spent in spiritual activities, half hour max, and what counts towards that.

Grace S. says:

The second part of this story, though, is that after our phone session, I started to get a Mark of Devotion. [Editor’s note: This is a characteristic that face readers notice. In my system of Face Reading Secrets(R), it is about having an ultra-strong spiritual vocation.]

Which I also found to be rather fascinating, considering that I’ve spent the better part of my life devoted or concerned about spiritual pursuits.

What got me the mark was having to really, really chew on it. I really had to process NEW ideas ones that challenged me, especially about Spiritual Addictions. (Their not actually being a good thing; my confusing the map with the territory.)

Plus, what DOES “spirituality” mean, how does it apply to being human (and to Enlightenment)? This really shook my world. And I loved it, by the way!

You pointed out great passages in your “Magnetize Money with Energetic Literacy” book for me to re-read to put it into context. And it all came together for me!

I think I started getting the Mark of Devotion because I had to work so hard for once. Typically I did not used to question my spiritual pursuits.

Recently I checked in the mirror, and that Mark of Devotion has gone. I don’t care one way or another, it’s a point of interest to me, though.

It’s one of my favorite items of face reading data to spot check on people (up there with philtrums!). And when I see people with those huge Marks of Devotion I can deeply understand that they have been in a harsh process of questioning reality.

Fascinating, courageous shares, GRACE S.

Regarding your Comment 8, it is very common for people who move away from a substance problem to become very, very interested in energy. Or in energy practices that are easily accessible, such as Reiki. Or in an extreme (supposedly healthy) diet.

None of these necessarily moves out STUFF.

It’s very important, when making the courageous shift from a substance addiction, not to move into a spiritual addiction.

Just to complete that thought about an extreme diet being linked to spiritual addiction, this is a very personal thing.

As in personal, individual nervous systems responding in very individual ways to different food consumption patterns.

Here is one thing I have noticed, however, from reading auras of clients during sessions. There appears to be a very strong correlation with many vegans and raw foodies and… spiritual addiction. Also with American vegetarians. (Clients born and raised in Asia seem to be better adapted physiologically to vegetarian lifestyles, in my experience from aura reading.)

One such American client, GLADYS, dealing with a huge spiritual addiction, mentioned that she wasn’t yet perfectly following the “ideal” diet. At which point I might have scolded her. Because sanctimony around diet has zero relevance to having Enlightenment.

Eating what agrees with your personal body is a good way to move forward on one’s path to Enlightenment.

Buckminister Fuller, on our Enlightenment Life List, reportedly lived for years on a diet of steak and coffee.

Amanda says:

Hello Rose 🙂

I agree with your point about Eckhart Tolle and it’s obviously possible and less dramatic (certainly more comfortable) to progress nice and gently along the path.

For people who have had these extremes in their spiritual seeking and then come through it, though, I think it’s important to come to terms with it, and realise that that’s OK too – it might not have been the best or most comfortable journey but there’s still room for it in the broader brush of life.

Probably more important, given the natural shame that can result when you wake up from a time of extreme stress on the mind and see what you’ve been doing – which was definitely the case for me. What great potential for beating yourself up! What a mistake! 😀

All the perfectionism that underlies any kind of addiction can really turn up and start shouting when you make an error.

So from that position, it’s nice to know you weren’t the first and won’t be the last, and from the larger perspective it was just something that happened and is now over. No mistake made, just some ignorance and some learning to do. And when you fall short of the ideal, it’s important to find these kind of perspectives!

I’m not disputing your point though, it’s not comfortable or recommended – but if someone has gone that way at least there’s company out there that shows it’s possible to come through the other side.

There’s space for it, as there’s space for everything human beings do and have been doing for centuries. Realignment without judgement is very possible.

🙂

Amanda

Amanda says:

Just to add, I didn’t drop out or show any particular external drama while I was spiritually addicted, because I have kids. I’m also very stubborn and I refused to believe my mind whenever possible, however loud it shouted 🙂

I did feel really terrible though, and then I went through a quiet space of renewal and bliss.

I see this happening so much and in so many people around me. When life is hard to bear or you’re unsure of what to do, it’s easy to turn to God and hide out in your shell for a while.

What’s going on inside there may not show on the outside but something is being planted and it’s a seed that grows very naturally, a deep pliancy. Then there’s a natural unfolding outwards as the fear drops away.

I see this in Eckhart Tolle. Perhaps life drama merely shows that some people take longer to germinate than others 🙂

Amanda

What wonderful and compassionate insights, AMANDA. Thank you for sharing with that usual eloquence.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you and all you Blog-Buddies.

What, Thanksgiving isn’t a national holiday in England? Maybe it’s celebrated there only by the families of all those wacky, stubborn religious fanatics… the pilgrims who emigrated to America? 😉

Amanda says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

A rather nicer festival than our 5th November, when we celebrate the foiling of a plot to blow up Parliament by burning the effigy of the would-be bomber on bonfires around the country 😀

One local family emigrated all that time ago and resulted in Bill Gates and George Bush – so I’d amend that to a bunch of wacky and very successful religious fanatics!

🙂

Amanda

Nadine says:

I wanted to share something on this topic since I guess I am one of those recovering from a possible variance of spiritual addiction (I haven’t read the book yet so not sure what exactly would fall under spiritual addiction).

It was during my first session with Rose. I don’t think we really identified it as such. But I definitely had something going on there with daydreaming.

I had also been an avid (some would say intrepid) seeker for about 14 years prior to that.

Life had just gotten a bit ouch-y, and I guess I was just finding it hard to deal with all of it.

As a kid, I wanted to go deeper and find something more because I just knew there was something other than psychology that could help me heal. (At that time, “psychology” translated to me as something akin to guidance counselor visits.)

Still, I got so occupied with the search. Daydreaming also became a way for me to insulate myself and it became quite a habit.

It was during my first year in college when I read something about “spiritual shortcutting” to deal with problems but at the time couldn’t grasp it yet. It wasn’t until reading stuff in here about spiritual addiction, and that first session with Rose, and also getting to know concepts like auric modeling and how it impacts everyday interaction with others and effectivity at human life… that I began to appreciate what it means to be interested in human life on a regular basis.

So yeah, I’m still having my struggles with it (especially with the daydreaming part). But right now, I’m valuing “stable” and grounded more. I’m also trying to learn how to sit with frustrations and decide how I want my human life to work, leaning more towards what I can do in the moment as a human being (not always easy…yet! 😉 ) while still learning things like cutting cords of attachment, becoming a skilled empath, etc, but in a more balanced way.

NADINE, thank you so much for sharing a summary of your transformation-in-progress.

I do remember your session. If I didn’t use the term “spiritual addiction,” it was to protect your feelings. Personally, I don’t remember which words I used because after facilitating a session I generally let the details go.

Otherwise it could get really, really crowded in my brain. Without helping anyone.

A general point about identifying spiritual addiction and making lifestyle changes — sometimes a person gets the point easily and knows just what to do.

Hey, that’s why I wrote those parts of “Magnetize Money with Energetic Literacy.” I wanted to create something accessible and helpful and practical that would serve many people.

Sure, I’m aware that not everyone can financially afford a personal session with me, at least without saving up a bit. While most people can afford a $20 book.

However, some cases of spiritual addiction are difficult to self-identify. That’s where sessions are helpful. Because doing a Skilled Empath Merge, as well as doing detailed discussion of representative chakra databanks with my client, I can find nuances like daydreaming.

Or praying for others.

Or constantly seeking guidance from angels.

Or trying to analyze life events in terms of exquisite holy spiritual principles.

Any of these might sound great in theory, or be part of a lifestyle that one has been told to do in order to be successful, etc.

It can take another person with skills of empath merge, etc., to be able to say to you, NADINE (or to others in a comparable situation):

“You have been doing something. Could it be xyz? Pay attention. Let’s problem solve.”

Then we do.

One aspect of your Comment 16 that I especially like, NADINE, is how you are using your own spiritual self-authority to make sense out of how you have been growing.

That’s what I want to do in any session: Collaborate with you and spiritual Source in order to help fulfill your chosen intention.

suzanne says:

Hi Rose,

I enjoyed this blog and thread and think it brings up really important points. However, one point you make, about American vegetarians correlating with spiritual addiction, I would like to say something about.

I have no doubt that this is true of the subset of vegetarian clients you have had in sessions. But I would point out that those who seek you out are spiritual seekers to begin with and perhaps especially prone to spiritual addiction — that is how they found you to begin with.

I am a partial vegetarian (I eat fish but no other meat) and I know many many American vegans and vegetarians. While I have also met a lot of raw foodies (and totally concur with your observation about the correlation between that and spiritual addiction) most of the vegans/vegetarians I have met are very down-to-earth people.

They (we) are concerned with pragmatic issues like factory farming, pesticide use, drag net fishing, soil depletion, agribusiness farming practices, hormone additives to dairy, mistreatment of animals, mistreatment of farm workers, transportation of food and associated costs to the planet, etc.

I would say that in my opinion, while American vegetarians are often compassionate people they are not in general ungrounded people–I would say quite the opposite. In my opinion they tend to be very earthy, and also very well-informed.

And sometimes opinionated and judgmental. Because when you know factual objective information that other people don’t know (like about cell phones emitting radiation) it can be hard to refrain from sharing it.

Now, there is a whole ‘nother crowd of folks who are strongly concerned with PURITY of diet — to me, this is a separate breed, and definitely correlated with spiritual addiction. The “I will not let anything corrupt enter my body” crowd.

My point is that while some vegetarians who are also spiritual seekers may have spiritual addictions — not all do.

Rachel says:

This is such a great discussion. It’s lovely to read everybody’s comments (and to hear other people’s recovery stories, too).

AMANDA – I see what you mean about people who have had profound spiritual experiences. I wonder though, if they were actually ‘seeking’ those experiences or if they just ‘happened?’ That is my impression, certainly in the case of Eckhart Tolle. I guess that makes it different from consciously pursuing spirituality.

In my own case, I can definitely see that my spiritual addiction was a cover-up from solving my own problems.

Eloquently put, SUZANNE.

For clarity, there could be plenty of vegans and raw foodists who do not have a spiritual addiction.

Also, this food lifestyle could also work great as a cleanse, and the person would run into trouble after a while. Which would be the body’s way of saying, “Enough already. Time to go back to a ‘normal’ diet.”

Shoulds aren’t really my specialty. I just invite all you Blog-Buddies to pay attention to the effect on you when you make a major lifestyle choice. Energetic literacy can help you with that!

Thanks so much, SUZANNE, for your tactful, respectful way of sharing your wisdom.

Rachel says:

ROSE, you mention daydreaming as being a nuance of spiritual addiction.

Well, as you know, I’m a (would be) creative writer, and day dreaming is pretty important when it comes to allowing your imagination to flow… so what’s your take on that?

Is it a case of being aware when you’re day dreaming and not using it to avoid something?

Grace W says:

Hey SUZANNE, just to add another twist to the conversation… 🙂

Before I share my comment, nice to hear from you!

In recent months, my body has been going through some kind of process that, with the investigating of my dear doc and a blood test, turns out to be some major new food sensitivities.

Which has meant that I’ve needed to shift around my diet so as to be even more careful than I’d already been. And which has meant that, yep, the purity of the food, as in buying organic, skipping sugar, wheat, dairy, even egg whites, is what I need to really pay attention to so as not to get sick.

I do, like it or not, need to be pretty careful these days about what I eat. Is it a spiritual addiction? Nope. I’m sure of that. Certain aspects of life would sure be a whole lot easier if I didn’t have to pay attention to this.

It’s challenging for me socially because I really don’t like to make a big deal of it in the way some people do… maybe some you’ve met. At the same time, it’s absolutely not worth it to me to eat something that I’ll pay the price for eating for the next few days.

Just wanted to share my experience, partly, I admit, because it’s actually still challenging to navigate this change. I know that you meant nothing personal in your comment about connecting the purity of food and spiritual addiction, but I wanted to say that it’s actually not always easy to know what’s behind people’s food choices.

I guess that like with some other flavors of spiritual addiction, drawing loads of attention to the choices (like getting into it all over dinner, making a big deal out of it, which I hate!)would be a red flag.

But just like the nuances you shared about vegetarians, there are probably others out there like me who’d love to be able to sit down and chow on beer and pizza, but don’t dare to for health reasons. Nothing spiritually addictive about it!

suzanne says:

Thanks, ROSE. And nice to hear from you too, GRACE! You make a good point–I was not thinking about people who have food allergies when I said “food purists.” I know how serious those allergiescan be.

You are right, there are all kinds of motivations behind diet only some of which correlate with spiritual addiction!

I have wondered if I have food sensitivities myself, but avoid the tests because I am not yet willing to find out if I might be sensitive to some of my favorite foods.

One of the things I notice, as I grow in consciousness, is that I am more and more sensitive to what I eat. I bless food now, and I pay attention to eating when I eat (that started after listening to a tape by Thich Nhat Hanh–“be there for your breakfast!”) And I notice very clearly that some food choices do not have good effects. I now avoid microwaving food (re: Rose’s post), don’t enjoy canned or frozen food, and prefer to avoid processed food. I’ve eaten mostly organic for the past several years. I don’t enjoy drinking any more. Many people would consider that being a purist, but you are right–it is not worth making choices that you will suffer for before and after eating.

Suzanne

suzanne says:

I meant during and after eating!

Grace W says:

SUZANNE, yes, I know what you mean about the food choices shifting as consciousness shifts. That’s definitely been my experience.

If you ever get to the point where you want to check for sensitivities, I’d be happy to pass along some info about the test and follow up approach my homeopath/phys asst doc used with me.

We not only got a printout of the top 22 typical sensitivities and which ones were affecting me, but I’m just finishing up a 6-week stint on a series of gentle GI healing herbal sorts of things that have healed up my insides.

As I shared in an earlier post somewhere, there were a few different things that had been cropping up, bugging me, that turned out to be related to my inflamed innards.

The gut is everything! 🙂 Healing it has been great. I really don’t miss the food I can’t eat. If anything, it makes life simpler.

suzanne says:

Hi Grace,

Yes, I’d appreciate that info, thanks–you have my email address.

Did your sensitivities turn out to be to favorite foods or to foods you didn’t care about that much? How do you know the test was accurate? It sounds like you know by the results of how you feel — was it pretty obvious? Have you tried reading the aura of your food choices? I’m taking the Aura Reading Level 1 Workshop in the spring.

Suzanne

Kirby says:

Hi Rose:

I came across your site and books about two months ago and I have found your information fills in a lot of blanks that other energetic teachers and writers haven’t touched upon — so this much of this has been extremely helpful and appreciated.

My experience with ‘Spiritual Addiction’ is slightly different from those in the above posts, in that while for the last six years i have immersed (been obsessed) myself in energetic work (i.e.,Reiki, a bit of energetic medicine from Mary-Jo Bulbrook’s system, and Kishoria Airds DNA Reprogramming System).

I have absolutely no connection with God, ‘Highest Power’, whatever one calls this energy.

Prayer feels invasive. And while i can tolerate. and am sometimes even interested in, religious/spiritual beliefs of others, the moment i am asked to partake in any ceremony, ritual, prayer i feel invisible hackles rising.

I do believe there is a divine energy that has created this existence but i feel as if a piece inside of me is missing/cut out because i never feel the connection others describe. i do feel those lovely physical tingles of one’s own energy when my body/mind/experiences are in balance and this is usually when i am fully present and in the moment.

I experience panic/anxiety and overheating when i become too immersed in energetic work (and trying to ‘fix’ family issues ’cause that’s been my role in life, one I’m trying to change and any other obsession) and only since i began reading about ‘Spiritual Addiction’ did i realize this was my body’s way of trying to get me back to the present. Does any of this make sense?

If any of you have any insights i’d appreciate hearing them.

Thank you, Rose, for clarifying and sharing much needed wisdom and information!

Kirby

KIRBY, by your own experience you have proven a very important point for everyone.

Spiritual Addiction does not have to involve God or Highest Power.

Spiritual Addiction can be to angels, guides, or astral beings. Or not.

Spiritual Addiction can involve philosophy or Theosophy or forcing life into any belief system, constantly translating. Or not.

And, yes, Spiritual Addiction can involve ANY type of energy work.

Kirby says:

Thank you, Rose!

Kirby

This is too funny, Blog-Buddies. I was speaking with a client, GLADYS, who gave me permission to share this story.

At one time in her life, GLADYS was living in a very New Age area. She would go to parties among people, back in the 1980’s, who were obsessed with spirituality and how well they were doing.

Typical dialogue, when she would meet one of these folks at a party went like this:

GLADYS: Nice to meet you.

JOE: Nice to meet you. My name is Joe. And this is my final incarnation.

GLADYS: So, can you tell me where to find the tequila?

Amanda says:

Hi RACHEL – sorry, i only just caught up with this thread!

My understanding is that Mr. Tolle was devoted to seeking enlightenment, having decided early on in life that that’s what he wanted, and his awakening came in the middle of his third major depression.

So spiritual addiction definitely came into it, I’d have thought.

That’s how it’s been filed in my mind anyway, I read about it on his website possibly – feel free to correct me if I’ve got it wrong, anyone!

Amanda

Dave says:

Blog Buddies,

A short but interesting bio of Tolle can be found on his Wikipedia: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

I just read through his story and it’s actually hilarious in a way.

Tolle grew feeling miserable and unhappy, living in Germany and then Spain after his parents separated. Eckhart elected not to go to high school and instead studied on his own.

Eckhart Tolle set off to find meaning in life as he suffered from intense depression and anxiety. After feeling suicidal depression for some time, and all around hating himself and life, Tolle suddenly, one night, underwent a deep transformation and awoke to find everything right with the world.

Tolle was so impressed with the new world that he saw, he would spent most of his time on park benches watching the world go by. It’s like suddenly everything was so great, all he could do was stare at pigeons and British people walking by. Its like he forgot Eckhart Tolle was “supposed to” worry and fret about life. He was like, “Whoa, this is cool.”

Now there’s food for thought, DAVE. Unless in the throes of discovering spiritual Enlightenment, one might not be fascinated to stare at pigeons. Or, especially, British people.

LOL

Of course, I write this as someone who longs for June in 2012 when, once again, I will be in London and free to stare all I want at Great Britons.

Amanda says:

ROSE,

well, if staring at Great Britons was a tried and tested route to enlightenment imagine what a healthy tourist industry we’d have in the UK!

On a more serious note, thank you for putting me straight on the facts, DAVE.

I do know what was happening for Mr. Tolle in my own way, I’e had times of being utterly flattened by tremndous peace and beauty, surrounded by such peace that it dissolves all the internal noise, everything is one wonderful moment of joy – and it can be very hard indeed to get anything done! It has its own demands, and I tend to see it as my body and mind demanding (and getting) the rest they deserve.

Unfortunately, unlike Mr. Tolle, my times are not permanent and I eventually head off merrily back into my stuff before resurfacing again.

I’m very glad you posted that Wikipedia article because reading it put me back in that lovely space, and has made my morning!

With very great thanks,

Amanda

Grace W says:

AMANDA, I would simply like to say that I love your writing style and appreciate your posts.

You, too, DAVE…your personality comes through!

I’ve been extremely busy doing my best to keep up with many good things that have been flying my way certainly in part as a result of all the new techniques I’ve learned this year from the workshops, ROSE. Will share a bit when I can catch my breath! 🙂

Amanda says:

GRACE W, and ROSE,

Thank you both, how lovely to receive compliments on my writing!

Happy to hear that you’re busy,

Amanda

For family-related perspective on spiritual addiction, check out the post here about Family of Choice: