QUIZ about guidance and messages from spirit

GLADYS felt ashamed of her problem, though she was working on it. “My mind is too active. I can’t receive messages from spirit as I have been taught that I should.”

Well, there’s good news about this “bad” news. Some very good news indeed.

What do you believe about guidance?

Like many a New Ager or spiritual seeker, GLADYS had been taught ideas like the following about receiving messages. How many of them do you believe?

The topic of receiving messages, or guidance, is so very important that I’m going to turn today’s topic into a two parter. Today, let’s explore a quiz about New Age-type ideas.

You Blog-Buddies are sophisticated. So how about answering each question in three different ways?

1. TRUE or FALSE, have you heard this idea?
  2. TRUE or FALSE, have you believed this idea?
  3. Pause for a moment and consider the implications for your growth and empowerment as a person. From your own experience, if you have believed this idea, what has it really done to make your life better? If you have heard of this idea but not implemented it, why not? Please, share as much detail as you wish when you add a response in the comment box following today’s post.
  4. Optional: What follows might seem deeply offensive or not. You might even laugh out loud at some of the following items. Feel free to share any reactions like these; it’s part of the educational experience.

Receiving messages QUIZ

1. “Receiving messages” means receiving messages from spirit, from God.
  2. When evolved enough spiritually, you will receive messages constantly.
  3. Spiritual life is a test, and you are constantly being tested. Will you pick up the messages or miss them?
  4. Everything happens for a reason. If you are a beginner at receiving message, you can start right where you are. Be vigilant, constantly paying attention to synchronicity. Important messages can be hidden in everyday coincidences.
  5. After you pick up a message, part of the spiritual test is that you drop everything else you are doing and immediately surrender to the Will of God by doing what you are commanded to do.
  6. Angels are God’s messangers. It is an honor to be given messages from guides, spirits, or any other being from The Other Side.
  7. Be vigilant to not let your ego get involved. Because ego is one of the traps that prevents a person from receiving the messages.
  8. Open your heart to purify it so that you become God’s willing vessel to receive messages about what you are supposed to do.
  9. If your mind is too active, that also can prevent your receiving messages. Strive to be mellow. Avoid coffee or any other overly stimulating food or drink. A serene, quiet mind means that nothing will get in the way of your receiving life’s important messages from spirit.
  10. Even if you don’t understand a message that you receive, you are obligated to follow it. (God is watching to find out if you mess up this great opportunity.)
  11. When you receive messages that concern other people, this is another way that God may test your faith and purity. Are you willing to serve others or not? If you want to pass this test, boldly share every message with other people.
  12. Even if you must personally sacrifice your own needs to transmit these messages, it is worth it. If you can only help other people, this is how to live your purpose in life.
  13. Day or night, 24/7, it is your job to be open to messages from spirit. At least, if you are a deeply spiritual person.
  14. The better you do at receiving and acting at messages, the more of these wonderful messages you will receive.
  15. If being psychic is in your bloodline, it is especially important that you receive messages. Because, hey, you’ve got talent. And once you are really experienced at God’s instant messaging, your whole life can be like, “Hey, you’ve got mail.”
  16. Everything in your life can be improved by receiving messages, from which clothes you wear to which foods you eat to how you  handle problems that arise in everyday life.
  17. By asking for guidance often throughout your day, you move forward faster along your path of spiritual evolution.
  18. When you are living according to these messages, living your faith with unquestioning obedience, that is what it means to be spiritually Enlightened. So the more you care about your connection to God, the more important it should be for you to constantly seek and surrender to messages.

Amanda says:

Another thought-provoking quiz, yay! And thank you 🙂

1. I have heard of this. I don’t believe it, because in my experience ‘messages’ can come from all sorts of sources including the random free-association wanderings of the subconscious. Believing one’s own thoughts and internal dead-ends without question is perhaps one of the most dangerous things we can do if we’re looking for liberation.
    2. I haven’t heard this one and would laugh if I did!
    3. I would expect this kind of message would only come from a very mixed-up teacher.
    4. I have definitely heard of this one and I indeed gave it a try. Again from hard-won personal experience – what a recipe for anxiety 😀
    5. I have heard this and again given it a go. It was interesting – in a kind of ‘doing things differently’ way, but thoroughly unproductive and meaningless.
    6. I have heard of this. I don’t believe it. I actually don’t believe angels give ‘messages’ in verbal terms, they provide subtle relieving support and the removal of mental disturbance, which is indeed an honour – but that effect is a calming of anxiety and the bestowing of a lovely clarity in its place, rather than an aggravation of it.
    7. I’ve heard this but never believed it, I quite like my ego (as opposed to my ‘false self’ which unfortunately can provide a lot of this rather rubbish entertainment)
    8. This is a very sweet and noble idea. Often it can be turned completely upside down by a lack of understanding, as many beautiful ideas can be. The opening of the heart is subtle and calming and very beautiful, but it is wordless and peaceful.
    9. Again, what a wonderful recipe for anxiety and what a turnaround of an occasionally useful practice. What these ideas all seem to have in common so far is a mixing-up of the kind of rubbish that comes up to be released in appropriately focused contemplation with the purpose of the contemplation itself.

This is a well-recognised phenomenon in all meditative practice, and warned against as a seductive trap.

10. I have never heard of this one but OUCH!
    11. I have heard this and I know many people actually make money this way. in practice I have seen it cause confusion and on the whole fail or cause a struggle as the recipient tries to work out if it’s true or not.
    12. I haven’t heard this.
    13. I know of two people who believe and practice this. They both developed hypertension. I don’t know if it’s related but I do think this would be a stressful belief to carry into life and a stressful way to live.
    14. I haven’t heard this but I have no trouble believing it. We can train our mnds and our awareness into all sorts of patterns and beliefs: this kind of permanent introspection would probably become well established until the point when the person woke up again.
    15. Yes, i have heard this. It is very flattering to the false self to feel so very important, and this is easily observable when talking to someone at this stage of psychic development, but control and peacefulness is more satisfying to the natural self and important to develop.
    16. I have certainly heard this. It does not imply a lot of trust in oneself to outsource like this.
    17. I have heard this. I have believed it. Luckily i was asking for the right kind of guidance – to get out of all this noise and mess – and it did come 🙂
    18. I haven;t heard this one. It may be a variant on the age-old muddling-up of ‘surrender’ with ‘submit to your worst aspects’.

In summary, thank you very much, Rose, for allowing me to get that off my chest. Perhaps you’ve gathered that my patience with this kind of practice is practically non-existent these days 🙂

I would lump all of these symptoms together under the umbrella term of ‘anxiety’ and dismiss them merely as that. It’s a useful approach if you’re aiming for actual peace and command of your self.

Spirituality in my view is designed to reduce anxiety, not increase it. We are supposed to become calmer, more joyous and peaceful in the process reducing the internal noise, not increasing it by paying it lots and lots o attention.

Obsessive morbid introspection in these forms might sound good when labelled ‘spiritual’ but it’s unfortunately an upside-down view of our capacities. I do believe everyone in this kind of pattern knows that at some level.

I have wasted a lot of my life in anxiety of one form or another. Learning to step aside from it by training my awareness into the present moment has been the solution every single time.

Amanda

Blake says:

I agree with what Amanda said about anxiety, and would add the word guilt. Or maybe GUILT in capital letters. A lot of these ideas can lead to feeling like you are not good enough, not doing enough, should be doing more, acting on every impulse and possible message, etc.

And like what you have chosen to spend your time on is inferior to what you might be doing, should be doing, could be doing. At least according to this psychic consulting his guide, or that healer consulting her angel, and so on.

It’s a great recipe for ambivalence. Where you are living your life but you don’t believe you are doing it very well! LOL. But that’s only because the input’s coming from many sources, none of them you.

That’s what I like about the Soul Thrill method of testing out ideas. I can listen to input from my own soul and tune-out the many opinions that other people have, and test out the various messages if I want to.

I can look back now and laugh at some of the messages people have passed on to me at various times, from their guidance… you should be a kite-maker for a living, you should can and dehydrate food and seeds and build a storehouse for them, you should be an international spy. I’ve gotten some loopy ones!

Blake says:

The other thought I had, also related to guilt, is that we only have so many hours in a day. It would be exhausting to constantly receive messages and act on them.

And how thoroughly could we even act on them if we felt we needed to address everything that comes to mind or might be a message from Spirit, from guides, from non-earthly “visitors”… it would be a full-time occupation.

I say this because I sometimes feel guilty for not accomplishing every single idea or inspiration I have. But then I remember that I’m set up as a deep person. Maybe I’m not set up to surface-sample everything, to do every conceivable thing that comes to mind.

It may be just fine to pick one or two or more areas that have big Soul Thrill and do them thoroughly, and do them well. That may be enough, with NO GUILT NEEDED.

Charles says:

My goodness, that’s a lot to think about! Here goes….

1. I would say … that’s one way of putting it. I think messages can be received from all kinds of sources.

2. I’ve never heard this one. I would say that receiving messages, like all things intuitive, becomes easier the more you practice. Whether you receive messages more frequently or not is really up to you.

3. I’ve certainly heard the first part before, but not in connection with noticing messages vs. missing them. In my experience, people usually haul out the “this is a test” trope when something bad has happened and they can’t understand why it happened or what it means. I don’t believe everything that happens is personal or particularly meaningful, so interpreting some events as spiritual tests has never really been appealing to me.

4. Ah, I guess I kind of answered this above. I’ve certainly heard this one many, many times. I do think synchronicity or meaningful coincidence happens sometimes, but I would hesitate to call it a “message.” From whom, one wonders? God again, I suppose.

5. Hmmm, tricky. Again, I don’t know anyone who would characterize this as a test. I’ve never really heard it put that way. I do know lots of people who believe it’s always best to follow guidance from angels, spirit guides, or what have you — that such beings are always guiding you in the direction of highest good. I don’t know anyone who would characterize guidance as a commandment; I’ve never heard that.

I think even in you’re in touch with guides or angels who are entirely well-meaning, it’s still important to evaluate their guidance for yourself and make your own decisions. Astral “second opinions” can be helpful (as can earthly ones), but it’s your life, not theirs.

6. I would venture to say that’s the definition of “angel” for most people. I know lots of people who communicate with angels and guides regularly, but I don’t think any of them feel particularly honored to do so. The general view seems to be that everyone can do it — no particularly honorable status required.

7. Oh yes, I’ve heard this one over and over. The ego is bad, bad, bad! Partly, this is a semantic thing. When most New Agers say “ego,” they don’t mean the same thing psychologists do. Apart from the semantic issue, I think this whole trope has reached the point of absurdity. Some people seem to feel that everything about human perception and judgement is completely dysfunctional and that the only solution is to relinquish all decision-making to what is presumed to be perfect divine guidance. Oh, the stories I could tell about people sabotaging their own brilliance because they’re afraid every thought or desire they have is “coming from ego.” It makes me sad. 🙁

8. I’ve heard this, or something very similar. The words here that get a reaction from me are “supposed to.” I don’t believe there is some kind of optimal, pre-ordained path that one is “supposed to” find and follow. That idea just doesn’t appeal to me at all, and I’ve watched so many people waste so much time looking for it or waiting for it to magically appear.

9. I had to laugh at this one. I’ve heard these ideas many times. Some people seem to be identifying and eliminating more and more undesirable foods every year. Pretty soon, I think they’ll conclude that all food brings their vibes down. Maybe they’ll become Breatharians. I laugh, but it isn’t really funny.

10. Like the “test” thing, I’ve never heard anyone characterize following guidance as an obligation, but I think some people do basically treat it that way. Certainly they strive to always follow guidance because they believe it’s always the best path. I don’t have that particular brand of faith, I guess.

11. Again with the testing! Rose, who are you hearing all this “test” language from? 🙂 Just curious. I have heard this rationale: If you receive a message that concerns someone else, you are meant to deliver it — why else would you be given a message that has nothing to do with you? I’ve never heard anyone suggest it’s a test, though. I have also frequently heard the opposite: Keep your intuitive impressions (“messages” or otherwise) to yourself unless someone asks you! That’s generally what I try to do.

12. Happily, I’ve never heard anything like this one.

13. Ditto.

14. I have heard something like this. Maybe it’s true. I don’t really know.

15. Ha! 🙂 I have definitely heard that if you are gifted, you are meant to use your talents. I suppose I do think it’s a shame when anyone’s talents (of any kind) are wasted. But I don’t believe psychic ability is anything special.

16. I certainly know people who have followed guidance about these kinds of things now and then, but I don’t know anyone who constantly looks for guidance about trivial day-to-day decisions. I’ve never encountered a teacher who encouraged this kind of astral micro-management.

17. I don’t know about the “often throughout your day” part, but I’ve certainly heard that following divine guidance is the fastest way to evolve spiritually. I suspect that evolution requires the growth of one’s own judgement, discernment, integrity and decision-making ability. I’m not sure how that happens if one is just following some other being’s guidance all the time. However, I do think input of all kinds, including outside opinions, can be useful.

18. Blech! I guess I’d be doomed if this were true. Unquestioning obedience just isn’t in my nature. 🙂

Amy says:

1 I’ve heard of this but thought it was more for people in the middle ages.

2 Haven’t heard of this.

3 I have heard of this idea of spiritual tests, I think my boyfriend believes it, and Russell Brand (hopefully he didn’t get it from him) -the idea that life will keep throwing stuff at you until you prove you can take it and then it will ease up. I think it makes you more pessimistic and makes life seem harder.

4 Heard this, and believed this for a while, Anna Conlon’s blog and your books shook this idea out of my head. I reckon this could lead to spiritual addiction.

5 Haven’t heard of this, sounds like spiritual masochism, depending on the requirements.

6 Not heard this so much. In the Catholic Church whence I was raised you’re not really supposed to hear messages from Angels, that’s for people in the Bible, it’s heresy nowadays.

7 Heard this, I think from N Donald Walsch, I didn’t stick to it very long, I could see I would become a bit of a doormat the way I was going.

8 Haven’t heard this.
    9 Haven’t heard this.

10 Haven’t heard this. Seems strange -related to mental health problems perhaps.

11 Haven’t heard this. Thankfully. I don’t think my personal beliefs are anyone else’s business.

12 Haven’t heard this. Doesn’t seem a very effective way of growing as a person in life, if you don’t value your own life in and of itself, you’re hardly going to work hard on it.

13 Haven’t heard this.

14 Haven’t heard this.
    15 Haven’t heard this.

16 I think I got this vague idea from Doreen Virtue’s books, but I never bothered, I always considered it a bit trivial to ask angels about everyday things. Why would they care?

17 Haven’t heard this. Don’t think it would be that effective. Ask for guidance and then follow through on actions to improve your situation, is my way of working. I do randomly ask for guidance on certain issues but straight up forget about it and just get on with my life.

18 Haven’t heard this. Sounds like a lot of effort!

Jordan Hines says:

A cool thing you mentioned recently- in a session, I think, not on the blog- was that an easy and accurate way to gauge how much stuff you have is to ask yourself what percent of your time you spend in the present.

I realized then that I spend a lot more time in the present than I would have thought, based on what I used to think “being present” meant.

A lot of my past education on what it means to present really emphasized NO THOUGHTS. You’re not allowed to think anything, just notice stuff, be really calm, and wait for the emptiness to make sense. Maybe this is an okay technique for some purpose, but it’s a really weird way to try to live all the time.

It turns out I still have a lot of thoughts, and can be fully present during them! I can be normal and present! Imagine that!!

Dana says:

1. I think that you can receive messages from all sorts of places: God, psychic-level beings, guardian angels, spirit guides, all parts of your own self. Just because you hear a voice in your head doesn’t mean it’s God. When I started my job I had the strong urge to go home right after work every day, even a voice urging me to do that. Turns out I had a huge stuck spirit in my aura that had been living in my apartment! Ugh!
    2. Heard it but didn’t believe it. Who wants to receive messages constantly? Oh wait, I guess I did believe it at one point. I listened really hard. Didn’t hear anything.
    3. Heard it, used to believe it. Now I know it was an avoidance technique.
    4. Heard it, used to believe it… found that most of life isn’t about synchronicities. And how can synchronicities be meaningful if you’re not paying attention to the rest of life?
    5. Heard it, used to believe it… surrender’s nice, but it didn’t help me deal with pushy people. In fact, it made things worse for me. And was also an avoidance technique.
    6. Heard it, used to believe it. Also found that angels couldn’t deal with pushy people for me. Nor did pushy people care about my angels.
    7. I did my own interpretation of Buddhism, tried to release ego. “No ego!” I chanted. This made it even harder for me to deal with people with egos, especially enormous egos and bully egos. But I think I tried to get rid of my ego even as a child. I wondered, “What do I matter in this world that’s in a downward spiral of environmental destruction?” Well, that wasn’t very much fun. Eventually I decided I might as well just live my life. So I scrapped my ego back together. Still picking up the pieces.
    8. I’ve heard of this. I don’t remember doing this. Luckily I had some ego left for career aspirations!
    9. I tried to create a serene, quiet mind. Didn’t work out so well as a very unskilled empath! Things were very noisy no matter what I did.
    10. I’ve heard of this, but don’t remember doing it. Well, I probably did do this but just don’t remember. Wow, I used to believe very differently!
    11. I guess I’ve heard of some fundamentalist groups doing this. I never shared much. I knew others had their own path, and I learned that they didn’t believe anything I believed anyway.
    12. Wow! People do that?…
    13. Never did that! Haven’t heard of it.
    14. I think I’ve heard of this. I’m glad I never tried this.
    15. No and no.
    16. Have heard of it, never done it.
    17. No and no.
    18. Hmmm, no and no.

Well, I guess I have tried many spiritual experiments and was able to learn and move on to better health and understanding! I’m glad I didn’t try any of these last beliefs though! It is interesting how many can be avoidance techniques, unintentionally.

Blog-Buddies, thank you so much for all the responses given so far. So articulate and fascinating!

Yet I just know we do not yet have comments from many of you who do sincerely and lovingly and diligently pursue your personal growth by seeking Divine reassurance… in whatever form.

This is a big, diverse blog community, and there is room in our comments section for many points of view. So let’s hear from more of you’all!

Very few areas of personal practice are more personal than this one, so it’s smart to avoid having it move forward now on the basis of older habitual or unquestioned practices.

Rachel says:

Okay, I’ll jump in with a general comment, my caveat being that I’m still confused about guidance, as was probably clear by some of the recent comments I posted here! So my ‘thoughts’ are very tentative.

The two main themes that leaped out at me from this list were, firstly, about doing “God’s will.” I don’t want to repeat what I wrote in previous comments, but just to add here, for me this is a relic of my Christian upbringing (which was pretty intense). I think I could summarise it if I say that it is not so much about getting Divine reassurance, as getting Divine permission.

I’m not saying this is good. Noooooo…. but I feel it nonetheless.

The second theme had more to do with New Age ideas, which I strayed into after getting disillusioned with the Church. And yes, I have come across lots of stuff to do with receiving guidance, but it has not been quite as prescriptive as this list implies, nor has it been to do with being “tested.”

I think the way it used to feel for me was that there was some kind of perfect path waiting for me to tread, if only I could “hear the messages” that would get me on it.

Maybe that is the same thing as wishing to know God’s will, but expressing it in slightly different language.

Of course, I know in my head that this is nonsense.

However, I actually DO still believe that we are not on our own and that spiritual help is available to us. I’m really attracted to the idea that there is a divine flow that co-operates with us and that our intuitive faculties can help to steer us in the direction of our hearts’ desires (whether the “messages” come from Spirit or from some wise part of us, I don’t know).

I guess I think that, while it is wise and wonderful to use all our human abilities as best we can, in the end, we are still limited. We just don’t know everything. So there are times when the sane thing to do is to admit that we don’t know and turn to a source of higher intelligence – again, whether you call that God or Spirit or intuition, whatever – and to trust that there is a bigger picture that we can’t yet see.

HOWEVER… even as I write that I can hear myself saying phrases like “allowing ourselves to be led,” which I’ve just claimed I don’t believe haha!!

So there we go. A comment from a confused person LOL.

Charles says:

This isn’t really in response to any particular quiz item, but just a random addendum to my earlier comments.

I just wanted to say that I do think the guidance and support of Spirit — in whatever way one understands that, in whatever form that takes — can be helpful, powerful, sometimes even pivotal. Sometimes we need support, and it’s so beneficial to know we aren’t on our own in this world. Sometimes knowing God (or, depending on one’s beliefs, gods, angels, guides, ascended masters, whatever) is there beside us makes all the difference in the world. There have certainly been times in my life when that’s what got me through, and I don’t know if anything else could have.

Most of my comments here have emphasized my belief in the value of self-authority and self-direction. That’s because my instinct in most situations is to seek balance, and my experience in the metaphysical community for a while now has convinced me there’s too much emphasis on guidance, faith, surrender and passivity. But that doesn’t mean I believe we have to do this crazy journey all by ourselves. Support is a very good thing, and that includes support from other human beings as well as support from the God of one’s understanding.

Amanda says:

I’m doing a meditation instructor course at the moment and wanted to add to these great comments that in that tradition you are ultimately aiming to find the ‘Buddha within’ – that is, the aspect of you that is already a part of God. Nothing else cuts the mustard.

If you see it in these terms then self-authority, self-trust etc naturally develop, and so does the relationship with sources of genuine support, because of course God and divine beings have that same wish for you.

I guess the issue may boil down to how confused the mind makes situations sometimes – we can consciously run around trying to make something happen, but in fact all we need do is develop unselfconsciously.

Amanda

I’ve put the questions in my reply – I’ve found it very confusing to try and read the other posts that just have the questions numbered.

“Receiving messages” means receiving messages from spirit, from God.

Heard of it. Never really had much time for the idea of getting “messages”. Sometimes I feel like I can tell when I have divine imprimatur for an idea/decision of mine. I can see instances where I feel like the universe may have put me in places where I have the opportunity to make some cool choices.

When evolved enough spiritually, you will receive messages constantly.

Heard of it. Sounds dreadful. I like my peace and quiet.

Heard of it. At best it sounds like horiffically hard work. I don’t like working hard on anything where I can’t clearly see the point of it.

Everything happens for a reason. If you are a beginner at receiving message, you can start right where you are. Be vigilant, constantly paying attention to synchronicity. Important messages can be hidden in everyday coincidences.

Heard of it. Yes, I agree, everything happens for a reason – but I don’t think everything happens for a big spiritual Reason. A leaf falls from a tree right at your feet. Could be a message? Maybe. Could just be that the leaf was old enough to fall right at that moment. It’s still a reason, just not an interesting one.

Heard of it. Sounds completely incompatible with Having A Job.

Angels are God’s messangers. It is an honor to be given messages from guides, spirits, or any other being from The Other Side.

Heard of this. Don’t really know enough about angels to speculate on their function. Regarding messages from the other side – I occasionally wonder if this is present in some cases where schizophrenics complain of “hearing voices”. I personally have had a long standing policy of not dealing with astral entities.

Heard of this. Used to believe it, never truly understood it. Used to follow a spiritual practice whose texts emphasised “killing the ego”. I didn’t try too hard to commit that particular murder. As an Aries, I am quite fond of my ego! My ego is fun to hang out with.

Open your heart to purify it so that you become God’s willing vessel to receive messages about what you are supposed to do.

Heard of this. Not interested in the messages side of things. I do believe in getting rid of much of my STUFF as possible, to allow me to do healing work with God to the best of my ability.

Have been exhorted to have a quiet mind, but not for messages. More for having control of own mind. Spent a lot of time meditating, trying to quiet my mind. I don’t do it any more, but the ability to create a bit of mental silence when needed is very handy in my work (acupuncture).

Even if you don’t understand a message that you receive, you are obligated to follow it. (God is watching to find out if you mess up this great opportunity.)

Haven’t heard of it, sounds f-ing awful.

When you receive messages that concern other people, this is another way that God may test your faith and purity. Are you willing to serve others or not? If you want to pass this test, boldly share every message with other people.

Sounds like an evangelical christian idea to me. I find people who do this intensely annoying.

Heard of it. Sounds awful.

Heard of it. Sounds exhausting, super dangerous, and incompatible with Having A Job.

Haven’t heard of this. Sounds vaguely logical except for the “wonderful” bit. Not a notion I endorse at any rate.

Haven’t heard of this. What if you have talent but no interest? What if you have talent but limited mental/emotional stability?

Everything in your life can be improved by receiving messages, from which clothes you wear to which foods you eat to how you handle problems that arise in everyday life.

Heard of this. I call Bullsh*t.

By asking for guidance often throughout your day, you move forward faster along your path of spiritual evolution.

Haven’t heard of this as a way to evolve faster. Why would I evolve faster by outsourcing my brain to some astral-level nincompoop? My brain works perfectly well.

When you are living according to these messages, living your faith with unquestioning obedience, that is what it means to be spiritually Enlightened. So the more you care about your connection to God, the more important it should be for you to constantly seek and surrender to messages.

This sounds like an iPhone with email delivery set to “Push”. Yay maybe my phone is enlightened! As a mechanical empath, maybe I should investigate this 🙂

Seriously though: I’ve thought hard about a few different definitions of Enlightenment. Of all of them, Rose, yours just sounds like the most fun.

Thanks, ADAM, and to all of you who have been responding to this quiz. Such interesting responses!

In case you find this an easy way to cut and paste the questions for this quiz, I will paste them all below. Because it can be easier to start a document, save it regularly, and add your comments in there.

Here goes…

“Receiving messages” means receiving messages from spirit, from God.

When evolved enough spiritually, you will receive messages constantly.

Rose says:

AMANDA, thank you so much for these comments. My favorite quote:

“Obsessive morbid introspection in these forms might sound good when labelled ‘spiritual’ but it’s unfortunately an upside-down view of our capacities.”

Seems to me, each person’s sacred Path to Enlightenment is unique. For millions of spiritual seekers, the quest for signs and messages isn’t morbid at all, nor distorted. Instead, it represents a huge step forward into wonder and spiritual surrender.

The problem is, eventually practices that benefit us can be outgrown. They can even become our defenses, blocking our next step of progress.

That’s where the “morbid introspection” really becomes a factor. Fortunately, for most of us, once we realize this has been happening, then we seek to move forward. Once safely moving forward on our next bit of Path to Enlightenment, we can even have a good laugh.

Rose says:

BLAKE, thanks for all your comments. So perceptive and wise!

You might want to reconsider NOT signing up to become a professional kite-maker, a storehouse creator for the essence of all needed human foods, or being a world-class discoverer of secrets.

Kidding! Since I know you, however, I’m sure you would excel at any of these.

Of course, when someone gives a psychic reading, by definition, the messages are coming from The Other Side. And (as I describe in lurid detail in “The Baby,” the how-to about “Use Your Power of Command for Spiritual Cleansing and Protection”), any psychic reading is based in astral guidance.

Talented and well trained though the psychic might be, that angel or guide or ancestor is interpreting your aura from that being’s level of consciousness. Knowing you, BLAKE, your level of consciousness has probably been way higher than that of the beings who worked with the psychic to provide each reading.

Often that can be the case, right, Blog-Buddies? Many of you are so close to Enlightenment, by now just a spit away, as it were. Others are not quite as close as you, BLAKE, but still closer than most of those nominees for the Enlightenment Life List who didn’t make it onto that rather selective list.

This opinion isn’t just a vague generalization. Remember, I do Skilled Empath Merge on all my clients except for the face reading sessions or Energy Release Regression Therapy. Most of you regular Blog-Buddies have had at least one personal phone session with me, where I facilitated some form of Energy Spirituality. So I have read your aura, just as I have done aura reading on every candidate for the Enlightenment Life List.

Specifically back at you, BLAKE, what is a mid-range astral being to make of shiny, awesome you? All three of these comical predictions and shoulds that I summarized at the top of this comment involve a common theme: It’s a compliment.

You go to the highest, dear BLAKE. You know the essence, mighty heart! You can find the secrets. You are world class.

Rose says:

AMY, thanks for your Comment 5.

People in the Middle Agesj? LOL.

Especially because WE were probably some of those people in the Middle Ages, once upon a time.

Rose says:

JORDAN HINES, one of the gems in your magnificent Comment 6 is:

“I spend a lot more time in the present than I would have thought, based on what I used to think ‘being present’ meant”

Thank you so much for sharing your thought-provoking insights.

Rose says:

Over at your Comment 3, BLAKE, I want to give a special shout out to my favorite part:

“I’m set up as a deep person. Maybe I’m not set up to surface-sample everything, to do every conceivable thing that comes to mind.”

What a great verb (and concept), to “surface-sample.” I plan to use that one, BLAKE!

Rose says:

CHARLES, what an ample and fascinating Comment 4. Thank you so much for that, as well as your later comment.

In 7. of your Comment 4 (Gee, do I sound like I’m citing scripture and verse?), you wrote:

“Some people seem to feel that everything about human perception and judgement is completely dysfunctional and that the only solution is to relinquish all decision-making to what is presumed to be perfect divine guidance. Oh, the stories I could tell about people sabotaging their own brilliance because they’re afraid every thought or desire they have is ‘coming from ego.’ It makes me sad.”

Please share at least three of these stories, CHARLES. Best would be if you would send them to me as one email at josie@rose-rosetree.com. (I’m in New Mexico now, getting ready to teach an Aura Reading Workshop tomorrow 🙂 and Josie graciously lets me use her computer.)

Then I could configure your comments into a guest post.

All of you Blog-Buddies have the same offer. I think it is important for any of you who can to share stories — positive or negative — about people surrendering to guidance, or constantly seeking guidance.

If you don’t have enough material for a whole blog article (and they can be shorter than my usual ones, of course, more like posts at a normal blog), just send one comment at a time.

Thanks for considering, everyone!

Rose says:

Regarding your question, CHARLES, “Again with the testing! Rose, who are you hearing all this “test” language from?”

Partly I hear/experience/feel/learn about this from my clients. In a typical year, I do over 1,000 session hours. There are clients on every continent that isn’t covered in ice.

Also, as you may know, I have been a teacher in the New Age field for 42 years. This year I will teach 15 workshops, including the ones in New Mexico, California, and London.

Although I won’t go to Japan this year, I have spent a year of my life there so far, twice breaking records for seeing more clients than any other healer sponsored by VOICE in their history, by now some 30 years of sponsoring about two healers and seminar leaders per week, most weeks of the year. I haven’t counted, but that is a lot of people.

In all these contexts, I have access to intimately personal ways that my clients and students interact with human, astral, and Divine experiences.

You mention, CHARLES, that people have told you stories. That is one way of learning about what people do with their consciousness.

What people tell their friends can be quite different from information at the subconscious level, that I learn through reading chakra databanks and cords of attachment, then discuss with my clients during a confidential, private session.

In addition, of course, I also am told stories.

Rose says:

RACHEL, thank you so much for your Comment 9. Your story, though expressed with uncommon eloquence, is the common story for millions of people now in New Age spirituality, honest people who have arrived in mind-body-spirit circles one way or another.

I remember learning something fascinating in this context about some of these New Agers from a Unity minister (Unity Church is more common in America than England, RACHEL, just as spiritualist churches are more common in England than the U.S., far as I understand it.)

Paraphrasing as best I can, here is my recollection of what REV. GLADYS told me. She said that half the congregation in Unity churches are far-out into mind-body-spirit, real New Age seekers. While the other half are making their first steps out of Christian upbringing, having become disillusioned one way or another.

For that reason, GLADYS said, Unity ministers constantly have to strive for a careful balance not to bore half the congregation or seem too far out to the other half.

Rose says:

DANA, thank you so much for your power-packed Comment 7.

Glad you scrapped back together your sense of personal identity, a.k.a. “ego.”

Especially poignant and pithy to me was this observation:

“…surrender’s nice, but it didn’t help me deal with pushy people. In fact, it made things worse for me. And was also an avoidance technique.”

Rose says:

ADAM, thank you for your zesty and “easy-to-read” Comment 12. Such wisdom, and with an Australian and very male flavor! Plus a sense of humor, not always common in New Age circles!

Regarding that fine human ego of yours, glad you “didn’t try too hard to commit that particular murder.”

Blake says:

Wow, Rose, I am so touched and flattered by what you wrote! I don’t usually think of myself that highly.

And specifically about the psychic guidance, it never occurred to me that I might be at a higher level of consciousness than the being who was consulted for the reading.

I guess I always assumed that any being consulted would be at a higher level than myself and would have the “birds-eye” view looking down.

Not so, huh?!

Thank you for all the kind words, and more than that, for all your support over the years. You’ve helped me move along with my life path in truly priceless ways. I’m so grateful!

Charles says:

Thanks for the very kind offer, Rose. I’m not really comfortable sharing others’ stories here, even if I change the names to protect the innocent — or the guilty! I guess that’ll teach me not to say I could do something I really don’t want to do. 🙂

However, I will share this little episode from my own life. I was talking to a dear friend of mine yesterday, and right in the middle of our conversation she said, “Well, I believe life is a test.” Zoinks! You could’ve knocked me over with a feather.

Rose says:

LOL,CHARLES.

Wrinkle In Time says:

I thought I would chime in from a perspective of an New Age open minded agnostic who didn’t believe in angels up until recently and now is not so sure.

The message that I received recently was so poignant and to the point and so helpful and even breath taking that I couldn’t help but wonder if it is a message from a God. Yes, the same me who is very reluctant to use the “g word” as I call it. So, for the sake of the argument let’s assume it was the message from God delivered by an angel. I wasn’t someone who is constantly or even occasionally looking for the spiritual guidance, messages, signs, nothing of the sort. So how come I got the message at this point of time and not months or years earlier? I would have to assume that the message came when I was ready to hear it and absorb it. Just like the Buddhist saying, when the student is ready, the teacher will show up.

To answer your question #6, even though I’m not 100% sure it was an angel, I do feel deeply honored and grateful for this particular insight that I was given.

Hi Rose,

LOL at “very male flavor”! Was it because of the swears? You don’t have to answer that 🙂

Jordan says:

lol Adam, no way you get to claim swear words for men or masculine people only! I am pretty darn feminine, but I fairly often find myself deciding to censor my language as I write comments on here. For instance, I wrote a comment recently in which I wanted to note that I was “freezing my balls off,” (a pretty masculine phrase, admittedly!), but changed it before I clicked submit. And now I get to sneak the phrase in in a more appropriate context 😉

Hi Jordan, apologies for the implied gender essentialism in my comment 🙂