Mitt Romney Smile

Mitt Romney Smile

Mitt Romney Smile. On an emoticon, a fake smile looks okay. But on a candidate for President of the U.S.?

Mitt Romney Smile? If it makes you cringe, maybe you can take advantage of a teachable moment. Learn some secrets of expression reading.

Energetic literacy is no quaint otherworldly hobby. At least, it need not be. Voting is one of many practical reasons to develop skills of energetic literacy.

To be clear, responsible people do not substitute energy readings for regular, sane, paying attention to objective reality.

Reality matters, especially for voting. Never is it smart to shirk your citizen’s duty to become well informed about political events, by listening to what candidates propose, by evaluating ideas with your worldly wisdom.

Mitt Romney Smile. Why Investigate?

Weirdly, these days, so many popular media sources have moved way out, far beyond objective reality, deep into Crazyland. Witness the prevalent Kali Yuga-ish getting away with outrageous lies, like Fox News calling itself “Fair and Balanced.”

Civic duty now requires voters to sort through all lies, clicking onto websites like FactCheck.org, or counting “Pinocchios” detailed in The Washington Post.

That said, energetic literacy can contribute greatly to your voting smarts. Personally, I never miss an election. Nor do I miss using energetic literacy to supplement my knowledge of political facts.

Over the decades, I have done many media articles and interviews,  and many have involved reading politicians. For instance, I reported on the Cheney/Lieberman vice-presidential debate for “USA Today,” probably the first aura pundit article in an American newspaper. Now it’s time to share those skills for detailed profiling of enigmatic presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

His father, George Romney, famously released a dozen tax returns. Maybe his son, the second-generation politician, is simply shrewder to release just one. But nobody can avoid releasing face data, aura data, chakra databank data. Such a treat to use energetic literacy on the enigmatic!

Where to start? Definitely the highly distinctive, quirky, oh-so-revealing Mitt Romney Smile.

Mitt Romney Smile. Face Reading It.

Take a look at Romney’s most common way of smiling, common in photographs. Through a “Google Images” search, you can find loads of Romney images, with a high proportion carrying that trademark smile.

Let’s start with expression reading.. quick and easy… which means Stage One Energetic Literacy. Anyone can do a simple look-see that way. It’s a first take, without much nuance compared to dedicated literacy techniques, yet fascinating nonetheless.

How do you interpret Romney’s smile?

• “Disconnected from reality” is one version.
  • Maybe you prefer, “Manly, self-contained, and brave.”
  • Even “Misunderstood, yet nobly doing his best to stay the course.”

So confusing! Well, why stay relatively on the surface, generalizing away, when you could read deeper?

Much of the conversation about Mitt Romney concerns credibility. Just where energetic literacy can help! Just not Stage One Energetic Literacy so much, since usually it just confirms one’s pre-existing opinions.

Stage Two Energetic Literacy can be a great upgrade, so let’s go for it.

Upgrade your Energetic Literacy

I’m delighted to share a practical technique for expression reading that you can use as a voter (and otherwise) for the rest of your life.

Afterwards, I will include some face reading, aura reading, and Skilled Empath Merge, using Stage Three Energetic Literacy techniques that I can, perhaps, teach you some other time.

By the end of this article, here and now, you will know a whole lot more about Mitt Romney, smile and all. Plus you’ll have skill for photo readings to help with any election. Or Internet dating. Or job interviews. Or making social networking really come alive. (More on all that later.)

Mitt Romney Smile. Spot the Fakes

Although Mitt Romney has other smile styles available — most of us have quite a wardrobe that way — one particular smile is photographed so often, I call it “The Mitt Romney Smile.”

Technically, it is also a fake smile. Social scientists have researched something called The Duchenne Smile, which means an authentic smile. A genuine smile works like this:

1. Lips part.

2. Both mouth corners move up.

3. Cheeks raise up.

4. Eyes scrunch up a bit, propelled by cheek muscles.

5. Eyes flash and shine a bit extra, compared to right before or after the smile.

Only an approximation of #4 occurs with The Mitt Romney Smile, and none of the rest.

Mitt Romney Smile. Oops!

Physically, what is distinctive about The Mitt Romney Smile

1. Lips do not part.

2. Eyes mirthlessly scrunch up, as if smiling. Although eyes do an imitation of the smile scrunch, they are not propelled by cheek muscles. It’s clever, eye muscles grimacing all on their own.

3. One mouth corner droops down while the other moves up.

There you have it. Vote for policies and political record, not for smiles.

That said, expression reading can bring you some insight. Fact is, that probably happened for you just today.

Jordan says:

Well, yuck!

Rose, I wonder why you’ve decided to avoid politics from now on?

Personally, I’ve stopped paying attention to the campaigns altogether. I already know who I’m going to vote for, and I don’t really think there’s any good reason for me to pay attention to the ups and downs of political drama. Sort of like how I’m not interested in spending my life jerked around by the drama of “The Real Housewives” or the Kardashians. It’s all so fake-fake-fake and more removed from reality every day. Boring!

You did a great job of shining some light of truth into the political scene in the past. That doesn’t sound like fun to me. Thanks!

Adam McIntosh says:

Rose, thanks for taking a look at Mitt, I found it very sanity-affirming.

I know people who plan to vote for Mitt because they genuinely believe he’s a nice fellow.

To me, it’s always been so, so obvious that he is an unsavory character of little integrity.

When people tell me that they find Mitt personally likeable, that they like his values… I feel like I’ve been told that up is down 🙁

Marion Cooley says:

Fascinating, Rose. Just this morning, I was commenting that I didn’t understand why nobody seemed interested in that smile. Throughout his convention speech there was this same tilted head
    somewhat crooked closed lip smile, with his eyes somewhat downcast.

I kept getting a feeling of a patronizing, paternalistic and condescending attitude. When I try to mimic it, I feel a sort of a patient “Well, I know you can’t help it, I’ll take care of it.” As if the dog just made a mess on the floor.

Thanks so much for your insights, Rose. And so glad I’m not alone in reacting to that smile!

Blessings –

Marion

AJ says:

He also has extra full lips—bringing persuasiveness from what I remember. His upper lip and lower lip are both pretty full, from what I can see.

For the life of me, I can figure out the shape of his eyebrows. To me, they look angled, but his right (my left) eyebrow looks straighter. If that’s the case, it probably indicates that there is a difference in the way her manages his public life vs. private life.

Although your analysis seems to be on the VERYs, which are probably the most dead on aspects. I love when you do these readings! Great job Rose!

Jim Curry says:

Very, very useful and practical reading. So glad to have it. I had guessed bits of it, but mainly “gut intuition.” Keep this kind of data coming. Well done.

JORDAN, good question in the first line of your Comment 1.

Mostly I am avoiding profiling politicians — whether face reading, aura reading, or Skilled Empath Merge — because I am a spiritual teacher and emotional healer.

Sometime in 2011 I realized that my political life (though of passionate interest to me, with views strongly held, and the kind of interest where I never miss an election) could be offputting to people I might otherwise heal.

I just couldn’t resist this time, with The Mitt Romney Smile. 😉

Over the years I have had clients and students and readers who held very different political views from mine. Same with some of my personal friends, actually.

If, for instance, you are a blog reader and you adore Mitt Romney, please don’t hold this post against me. Self-authority rules at this blog, in my sessions of all kinds.

AJ, ADAM, JIM, and MARION, thank you all so much for your comments as well.

MARION, what an extra special treat to hear from you at “Deeper Perception Made Practical.” First time here, right?

Elaine says:

Like Jordan, I’m feeling a bit of a yuck factor here.

Jordan says:

Interesting, Rose. Thanks for the answer!

Angie says:

I’ve taken a quick look at a youtube video as I do not know this candidate (the rest of the world is not as much in the heart of the campaign 😉 )

This guy is soooo self-assured ! a bit too much to my taste, it is as if, when he is speaking, everything was already done, as if the big game had already been played and won.
    Clearly, you can see that his speech does not match up with what he is actually feeling. There is such a “big display”, it almost feels like a shiny commercial ! It is way too shiny and too “surface” smooth.

At first, I did not understand what you were pointing to Rose, until I tried to mimic that smile for myself, very strange indeed !

Angie says:

Hey Rose 🙂

Question, I have been reading a lot of your books recently 😉 (The one about Spiritual cleaning using the Power of Command is awesome, made a lot of things clearer, big THANK YOU by the way !!!).

I once talked with a sensitive person who was creative through painting. That person explained how a few times, he attracted part of someone else’s stuff and felt it followed him. For some reason, he felt the urge to paint. He did so and after a while, the stuff was no longer present with him.

Can a creative/artistic process of some sort perform a healing ?

Bonnie says:

Thanks for taking a look at Romney. Like Adam McIntosh, I am mystified that he is still considered a presidential candidate. Come on, America!

Romney’s smirk, and giddy attitude when first commenting on the death of Ambassador Stevens has prompted speculation on some threads as to whether he doesn’t realize how inappropriate his emotions are. Asperger’s? Just doesn’t care? Delusional?

I may be waaaay off, given that you have just written that he is really enjoying the fuss and prestige of being a national candidate – but, I wonder if there is a tiny little piece of the decency of his dad, George Romney, that isn’t tripping him up, again and again, as he blunders and reverses his statements. I notice that his campaign is not running very smoothly, in spite of having tremendous amounts of money to throw at every problem.

Anyway, thanks again, Rose. It’s very comforting to know others see the sky is blue, instead of some upside down version of reality.

AJ says:

Everybody on TV is talking about the “Mitt Romney Smile” right now after his really strange reaction to the conflict in the middle east and the death of Ambassador Stevens. Funny that you wrote this blog post right before that happened.

BONNIE, Dear Heart, okay! I will do one more political post before Election Day in the U.S. I will do a dedicated aura reading post of Romney and Ryan.

Then no more political posts until four years from now! That’s my plan, anyway.

AJ, thank you for noticing. Keep in mind, if you wish, that “The Mitt Romney Smile” is the topic of an article in the current issue of Pathways Magazine.

It was written a month ago. I waited to post the article here until the print edition of Pathways was live and the electronic edition was also live, at http://www.pathwaysmag.com

Dave says:

I did some aura reading of Paul Ryan’s throat chakra when he was giving his speech at the RNC and boy was it slimy and gross. With a big dosing of “this is for your own good, electorate. I’m lying / sticking to a deceptive message for everyone’s own good.” So it seems to me he is self aware about his own deception and it is causing him a good amount of blockage.

Bonnie says:

Thanks, Rose. I am not bothered a bit by Ryan; I just see a five year old boy making facts up to suit himself.. I expect Handsome Old Joe Biden to make sushi of this young man during the upcoming debates. Biden will not have on the velvet gloves he used to handle Sarah Palin.

I would be interested in your read of Hillary Rodham Clinton. I am so happy to see her standing by Obama’s side.

I recall reading somewhere that Obama begged her to become Secretary of State because he recognized her smarts and competence.

Amy says:

What I also find interesting is how his name is actually Willard, and he goes by Mitt, his middle name. I wonder if that contributes to a mixed-message being broadcast on the level of auric modelling.

Sandra says:

Hello Rose–I find your article fascinating. Long before I knew there was such a thing as face reading if I wanted to see something a bit more clearly about someone in the news I would cover half their face and then switch and cover the other side. If I saw two different expressions I would conclude maybe the public doesn’t know the full story. I just tried this with the first picture of Romney you posted and there are different expressions. Am I on to something or is this fanciful meanderings. Thanks, again for a great article.

Thank you for your comment, SANDRA. It’s wonderful that you have been interested for a long time about reading people deeper.

That’s what this blog is all about.

The right side of a face contains data about the person in public.

The left side of a face is about that individual’s personal life.

We do have contests here from time to time (the latest one just ended) so feel free to check for those if you want to propose someone for a particular contest.

Rosanna Tufts says:

I have an open smile, but a couple of years ago noticed that my left side refused to lift as high as the right. It was noticeably crooked. And I knew why: I was holding all my tension in the left shoulder, and whenever I was anxious about something or concentrating really hard, that side of my face would scrunch and pull down. I had to really work to correct it, with a combination of conscious awareness, relaxation, and facial exercises. My smile is in much better balance now.