Angelina Jolie — Controversial Again

Angelina Jolie

Angelina Jolie. She’s the topic of two guest posts today.

Angelina Jolie is in the news again. Consider today’s post an exercise in discerning how celebrities are packaged.

While I’m on travel.

What’s Angelina Jolie’s news? A double mastectomy based on genetic risks:

• A wise and responsible health decision
  • Courage as the mother of loads of young children?
  • Perhaps a potential health problem capitalized upon as a publicity stunt?
  • Signal of a new era, where genetic testing and odds of disease cause intelligent people to make drastic medical choices?
  • One more example of how celebrities are packaged — any aspect of life used to create a competitive advantage in the media

Angelina Jolie Gives Us Plenty to Ponder!

Energetic literacy can be part of our discussion. Anyone want to use the photo at the top of today’s post as the basis for an aura reading?

Blog-Buddies, here are two of the the comments so far on this topic, the one from DAVE so extensive that I turned them into this guest post.

Other comments on this thread have been moved to help us explore this topic.

And now, awaiting your  further comments.

SUZANNE Asks about Angelina Jolie

I am rather curious about your thoughts on Angelina Jolie’s recent decision and action to have a double mastectomy to avoid the possibility of getting breast cancer in the future.

I am all for preventative health measures…having lived most of my adult life with that as focus since my parents weren’t healthy and I knew I had inherited their genes!   But what could lead someone to taking such a drastic (IMHO) measure based on a statistic?

Is it simple fear?  Seems more complicated than that.

It would be interesting to see what underlying ‘stuff’ might have lead her to this decision and how her aura has changed from before and after.  Also curious how Brad’s is responding energetically to this decision.

Angelina and Brad are both such high profile celebs.  Many people look up to them.  It is disturbing to me that they would choose to take this approach and make it so public.  I have had great respect for them and the good work that they do with helping children, etc. but this is disappointing.

I respect their choice for them, but I am concerned about the message it is sending to others, especially women.

Maybe it is because I am so health conscious, but this just hit a nerve!

DAVE’s Turn, Considering Angelina Jolie’s Public Decision

Seconding Suzanne’s sentiments.

Angelina is being lauded all over the media for being brave but honestly I find it sort of bizarre and a little bit creepy.

But apparently the gene she had indicates a very high risk of contracting breast cancer, although I’m not sure of the specifics. I think she did get implants so visually there won’t be any difference.

Still an optional procedure that a mega-rich person can get out of paranoia doesn’t seem the height of bravery to me, IMHO.

More Perspective from Blog-Buddy DAVE

I don’t mean to be judgmental or rude to Angelina Jolie or her situation. It is probably a terrible situation to be in. But my only exposure to the story has been through magazine covers at the grocery store or snippets online.

I felt a bit bombarded by the story, like almost every “fascinating” “newsworthy” story that is pushed down our throat by the mainstream media.

The media jumps from one shocking and often grotesque story (terrorism, murders, natural disasters, oh my!) to another and I’ve been quite fed up with having to be exposed to them in public or online even when I do my best to avoid exposure beyond being a decently informed citizen, and certainly not dwelling on these stories, over and over and over again, as has become the modus operandi of the lamestream media.

“Angelina Jolie’s Surgeries? Spare Me, Please,” Says DAVE

So my beef is with the media, mostly. I don’t want to know about:

• Celebrities removing their body parts.
  • I don’t want to see terrorists’ mugshots, over and over and over again.
  • Or people on their deathbeds.
  • Or Kim Kardashian’s weight gain.

I just want to go about my day to day life and maintain some intellectual and emotional autonomy.

Further as it pertains to the story, I’ve never known mastectomies to be elective before someone has cancer. Hearing that someone decided to chop a piece of their body off based on a potentiality does strike me as bizarre and distasteful.

This is just my opinion and I’ve certainly never been in such a situation so I can’t relate from experience. It’s like someone chopping off their nose because there’s a decent chance they might get nose cancer.

That is grotesque to me, but anyways I’m a bit squeamish about such matters, and whether it’s Brad Pitt getting his prostate surgically removed, or his wife getting her breasts removed, it’s not something I care to read about when I’m checking out at the grocery. Especially coming from the same journalistic sources that obsess over Snooki, The Bachelor, and Lindsay Lohan’s latest bender.

So the story, and the way it was presented, and the way it was editorialized, struck me as attention grabbing, meant to sell magazines, and tasteless.

Still, no doubt it was a hard decision for Angelina Jolie and anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. And she might be inspiring millions of people with her story and doing a great service to humanity. I have no idea. Just personally, I didn’t have a favorable impression of the story for the above-mentioned reasons.

Jordan says:

I feel differently about Angelina.

Doctors estimated she had an 87% chance of developing breast cancer and a 50% chance of ovarian cancer due to whatever gene it is she inherited. Her mother died at age 56 from ovarian cancer and also had breast cancer. Her mother’s mother died at age 45 from ovarian cancer. Angelina is now 37 with a bunch of young children. Her gene (mutation?) is really rare; I don’t think anyone’s saying preventative mastectomy should be a big trend.

Maybe there are other awful effects of having your breasts removed, but it sounds to me like she did what seemed best given the information available.

Surgery like that is cannot be easy for anyone. My heart goes out to her.

Lara says:

87% is more than just ‘a statistic’. With lots of young children and such a high risk of cancer I think her decision was very laudable as was her publisising it for others in her position. Seems to me it would have been irresponsible not to do what she has done. And a double mastectomy and removal of ovaries in the future is brutal, my heart goes out to her too.

There are a few cancer genes out the for the breast and also colon, and people who have them do get these operations (eg for colon cancer have their entire bowel removed preventatively- cant remember the gene name now sorry), has nothing to do with money, paranoia or health fads. Its a life changing drastic thing, done to save lives of those with these familial genetics.

Rachel says:

And, er, just to offer an alternative view:

Who owns our genes?

Photo credit for today goes to By Stefan Servos.

This photo comes courtesy of Wikimedia Commons. In no way is it implied that the photographer or the subject endorses either me or this use of the image.

Jordan says:

Well, from the comments you (Rose) chose to highlight, I assume my opinion would get a readjustment if I read Angelina and Brad’s auras. That’s not a shock.

I think my compassion was mostly based off of having had at least one awfully uncomfortable surgery in my past. I figure no matter who Angelina is on the inside, she can’t escape the extreme human discomfort of such an intrusive and mutilating surgery. (If she actually had it!)

I’d love to post an aura reading of her tonight or tomorrow, if I have time. But if someone wants to do it before me, I’d love to read that!! 🙂

Jordan says:

Ok, well, even though I only have a moment I couldn’t resist reading her aura a bit from the photo here. It’s not pretty.

Verbal integrity – Frustration, rage. “They won’t listen to me! why wont they hear me?!” “Ha, ha. they can hear everything I’m saying and they’re making judgments based off that. I can tell them anything I want to.” Truths and lies are the same thing. “I’ll say what I need to, these people are so stupid.”

Verbal integrity in her personal life – Manipulative and uses her sex appeal. A bit more ‘real’ in private that she is in public.

Spiritual integrity – Again, feels superior, like everyone else are just losers, stupider than her, and that the spiritual information she is privy to is “not for everyone.”

Emotional self-awareness – She thinks she is happy, carefree, light and breezy and beautiful all the time. Those other emotions in there (rage, etc) are not hers, apparently. (ha-ha).

Dave says:

I’ll step up to the plate here:

Throat Chakra databank for verbal integrity:

Clogged up. Lots of stuff. Angelina seems very detached from life and her own humanity. It seems all the pressures from her life, like celebrity, staying thin, and perhaps drug use have really burnt her out. This is a really unpleasant databank. There is a thought form of “I’m trying to do my best here” but it has a very detached quality to it, lacking spiritual light or any real power. There’s a definite ambivalence about right and wrong and also a big egoic overlay, all focused on Angelina herself as opposed to any broader morality. The effects of celebrity – doing what you want when you want, seem to have hit hard here.

The Third Eye Chakra Databank for Spiritual Integrity:

Very astral. This too is a concerning databank. To my perception it almost has the quality of an elderly or senile person – zoned out, a sort of incoherent high. It also seems marked by the presence of prolonged use of some type of strong prescription drug. A strong lack of coherence or awareness is what is most strange here. Reminds me of the consciousness of a hard core drug addict, or a little baby, or a very senile person. Spaced out. Not connected at all to objective reality but a desire to feel “woooooozzzyyy” and detached.

The Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Self-Awareness:

Here we have the same chemical presence found in the aforementioned databank. This databank is less structurally deluded than the previous, and is marked mainly with the idea of “mmmmm this feels good.” Angelina is clearly on something; based on my somewhat extensive experimentation with legal and illegal drugs earlier in my life, I would say something like valium or something similar, or perhaps an opiate to treat pain. This databank is all about right now: I like it when I feel good. I feel gooood right now. Mmmm. I like it when I feel good. It seems that a reliance on strong prescription drugs is strongly influencing Angelina’s life at this moment, to my humble perception.

Based on all the databanks, she seems hardly engaged in objective reality, and is living in a bubble of celebrity and highness. I would not expect to have any sort of meaningful relationship with her at this point in her life.

Honestly, before this aura reading, I had no idea what to expect. But these three databanks confirm my hunch that her decision was not made by Mind Body Spirit system of someone I would call a well functioning, autonomous adult.

Dave says:

Wow – good article Rachel.

From the article:

“There’s more to this story than just the patents on BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. Angelina Jolie is also using blatantly misleading statistics to terrify women into thinking their breasts might kill them.

In the NYT op-ed piece, Jolie claims her doctor told her she has an “87% risk” of developing breast cancer. But what she didn’t tell you is that this number doesn’t apply to the entire population: it’s actually old data derived almost exclusively from families that were previously documented to have very high risks of breast cancer to begin with.

A study published on the National Human Genome Research Institute website and conducted by scientists from the National Institutes of Health reveals that breast cancer risks associated with BRCA1 genes are significantly lower than what’s being hyped up by Jolie and the mainstream media.

In fact, in a large room of 600 women, only ONE will likely have a BRCA mutation in her genetic code. The actual incidence is 0.125 to 0.25 out of 100 women, or 1 in 400 to 1 in 800. I used 600 as the average of 400 and 800.

And out of that 1 in 600 women who has the mutation, her risk of breast cancer is only 56 percent, not 78 percent as claimed by Jolie. But 13 percent of women without the BRCA mutation get breast cancer anyway, according to this scientific research, so the increased risk is just 43 out of 100 women.

So what we’re really talking about here is 1 in 600 women having a BRCA gene mutation, then less than half of those getting cancer because of it. In other words, only about 1 in 1200 women will be affected by this.

Yet thanks to people like Jolie and the fear-mongering mainstream media, women all across the nation have been terrified into believing their breasts might kill them and the best way to handle the problem is to cut them off!

This, my friends, is the essence of doomsday fear mongering. This issue affects less than one-tenth of one percent of women but is being riled up into a nationwide fear campaign that just happens to feed profits into the for-profit cancer diagnosis and treatment industry, not to mention the monopolistic human gene patenting cartels.

That’s the real story of what’s happening here. Don’t expect to read this in the New York Times.”

Paige says:

Just wanted to add that I just listened to the Anita Moorji (spelling?) interview on Batgap. If you don’t know her story she was hours from dying, full of cancerous tumors, had a profound near death experience and came back to a n eventual full recovery,
    She feels that the huge amount of cancer awareness we have now creates fear which creates more cancer. She commented on having body parts removed based on fear of a potential. Seemed relevant to this conversation.

Just a bit relevant, PAIGE. 😉

JORDAN and LARA, no drop of compassion is ever wasted. It’s beautiful.

Personally, though, I note when sweet qualities like compassion are manipulated by others for personal gain, etc.

Similarly, real science is grand. But not so good when it is used for profit, selling fear.

Wonderful, JORDAN and DAVE, reading SOME of the fascinating chakra databanks that could be explored about this very, very public figure.

Can’t wait to read more from you two, plus other Blog-Buddies.

Lara says:

Honestly dont want to go into Angelinas personal motives, integrity, the ‘grotesqueness’ of a mastectomy or brca patents etc.

I will just say from my point of view… a few years ago i worked for a year in breast surgery…. breast cancer has two general incidences, around 30 yrs old and much much later 60ish onwards. If your type of cancer is aggressive a full mastectomy and axillary lymph node removal is the treatment. Not by any means a guaranteed cure.

Still its very difficult for women to lose one or both breasts, young late twenties early thirties women. There are a lot of issues with self image that are difficult to deal with on top of everything else, you can imagine. So if a woman famous for being ‘A Sexy Desirable Woman’ is publisised as having had this op done, then I think it may help enormously for those who are dealing with this issue in relation to their own self image. Yes you can have implants, but but but.. you have still lost your own breasts and are having to deal with your prognosis and often a young family on top of that.

As for her preventative choice, well having lost someone to cancer, and having seen many families go through this heartbreak in excruciating detail, I dont find Dave nose analogy apt at all. perhaps this is something that can only be understood from the inside? From my experience 87% chance of cancer (and a very aggressive one at that) is practically a guarantee.

Maybe there are a few issues conflated in this discussion, celebrity overshare, commercial capitalisation, health, her personal integrity and motives. I dont see any of those things taking away from the big positives her ‘overshare’ will bring to those who have breast cancer, either with or without the rare brca1/2 genes.

Amanda says:

Hello everyone 🙂

I’ve noticed a lot of fear around cancer in the media, in people’s minds – it seems to be a bit of a floating cloud that detracts from enjoyment and presence, and stories like this don’t help.

Trusting and loving our bodies? I’ve never seen a mainstream media article that promotes that.

An example of this endemic hypochondria – I took my daughter to the doctor with a minor health concern. Once we got in, it turned out she’d been worrying that it was cancer.

Luckily we have wonderful doctors, and he took the time to reassure her, explain that her chances of contracting cancer were vanishingly minimal at her age, and warn her against ever getting on the back of a motorcycle :).

The media is skewed. Even a lot of health-conscious information is skewed, so that normal vegetables such as broccoli are no longer ‘good for you’ but are actually touted as ‘anti-cancer’.

In short, there’s a general morbid fascination with cancer and an implication that there’s a lot of it around that is too endemic for my liking.

For this reason I would rather this hadn’t been made into a worldwide news story and instead been kept quiet.

Amanda

Primmie says:

I don’t agree that Angelina is frightening women into cutting off their breasts. One woman’s decision to do that to her body seems purely personal to me.

I have friends who have recovered from breast cancer. My husband has recovered from a brain tumour by going through chemotherapy, surgery and radiotherapy, I have a friend who had terminal cancer and he prayed to be healed and was. People take all sorts of paths with cancer and those paths are personal. I’m really surprised that there has been any controversy about Angelina’s decision. Her body is her business and if she’s made a decision out of a place of fear and anxiety, I feel sorry for her but I can’t see how that would influence a decision I or another woman might make about the risk of breast cancer.

Rachel says:

Okay, well I did my first ever aura reading from a photo for this! Bear in mind I am a beginning baby student at this…

For spiritual integrity at the third eye, I got a strong feeling of numbness and being shut down.

For emotional self-awareness, I got a really strong sense of deception, which felt most like self-deception.

(I didn’t read the verbal integrity databank).

Quite apart from the fact that I’m pleased with my progress (!), it does seem to bring into question the wisdom of Angelina’s decision.

It’s very sad, because I’d so love to see people making really empowered choices with regard to health, rather than defeatist, fear-based choices.

Curious As Ever says:

However adept or inept or maybe just suboptimal A J’s response to it may be, her celebrity must make her life quite difficult, certainly very difficult to have normal relationships with other people.

As for finding that “I’m doing my best here” thought form — I sense it there, too– well, aren’t we all? What I think is interesting is why so many people respond to her and other stars the way they do– obviously, or else she would not be gracing the cover of so many magazines. What is it that when a celebrity appears in a restaurant or airport or whatever, people HAVE to have their picture taken with the celebrity? The request itself is treating that person like an object.

So she has all this high status (special privileges, money) and yet, low status (treated as object) at the same time.

OK, this isn’t any kind of energy reading. Just saying.

David says:

I was taken aback to hear she had done this. I can understand why, as a very public figure, she would choose to make a public statement about it, to “manage” perception and tell her side of it before it was pure gossip.

But our genes are in all of our cells. Lopping off one part of the body to avoid a statistical implication of an only partly understood mechanism is rather rash. She still has the genes. Keep in mind here, there was only the possibility. This is major surgery without an illness.

Surgery as a preventative treatment I would consider a deranged approach when other healing modalities are available. I can note though that getting ones appendix out is common. So is circumcision in the west.

I feel compassion that she made such a choice, based on what may have been what she considered the best advice she had available and was then put in a place where she felt obliged to make it very public. A friend of mine got cancer and stayed with standard western modalities. She brought it into submission with traumatic treatment twice but it failed her the third time. I think western medicine has a lot to learn about whole systems.

I have just begun reading Rose’s books so do not have the skills of others here but just tuning into her general energy and it’s not a pretty place. Rage and fear are pretty strong, with a fierce teeth-gritting determination. Thanks for sharing Dave & Jordan. I look forward to more specific skills.

David says:

btw – my first response to her energy was to back off. I dislike reading that kind of energy as I don’t want to pollute my own. Again – more skills required. 😉

Paige says:

Dave and Jordan, Thank you for the aura readings, so fascinating.
    I can’t wait to read more!

Thanks, everyone, for these comments.

I consider each one fascinating and important. Special courage points go to RACHEL — Now you have done your first aura reading research, your confidence will grow. Count on that.

And to LARA. Never have you written here with more passion. And, clearly, you bring so much knowledge on the medical side of this conversation, with its many components.

Keep your wisdom flowing here, dear Blog-Buddies.

Primmie says:

Lara, thank you for your comment. It is very informative and I appreciate your point of view very much.

I know many people who have an holistic approach to health and I often hear allopathic medicine described negatively. It is a person’s choice to do that of course, but I don’t really share that approach.

I am very grateful for all the knowledge that is currently available to help treat cancer and other conditions. My son was born with a congenital condition that means he has had hospital treatment from birth. Thanks to that treatment he will be able to walk, without it he would have had a life of disability. My husband is alive thanks to “conventional” medicine. Of course my personal experiences inform my ideas and beliefs about medical procedures and treatments. Perhaps that is why I have no desire to negatively judge Angelina Jolie’s decision. It is her personal choice to do what she had done and I think how people respond to it is mostly to do with their own experiences and beliefs.

Primmie says:

It occurred to me that people who define themselves as alternative often talk about health as a journey and that illness is a great teacher. People who go through conventional treatment also experience that process. My husband has had his own profound learning experiences thanks to cancer.

Having seen that process I assume that Angelina Jolie will also be on a journey with health and she will learn everything she needs to know. In her own time though and in her own way. Major surgery can teach a person many things.

.Zelda says:

I’ve never been a big fan of leaping to conclusions about the motivations of celebrities as they make various choices. Mostly I don’t care a whole lot, anyway.

Whatever the rationale for the surgery and the sharing of the story, I can sure see that there would be an advantage to getting the news out to the public in a way that would allow Angelina Jolie some sense of control over the telling of the story, rather than having news of it be leaked and twisted by the tabloids. Who knows….I remember how they planned for the first baby pics of their twins so as to avoid a crazy feeding frenzy of photographers…and raised money for charity in the process. I thought that was rather clever.

At the end of the day, it is her choice, a very personal one at that, whatever the state of her aura, and she lives in a media fishbowl. Not a big surprise that she’d choose to run a story on it.

Whatever anyone’s opinion about the wisdom of such a drastic measure (and whose business is that, anyway?), I think there is something rather courageous about a woman who is known as an icon of beauty doing anything remotely like that. I find that mildly fascinating.

There is just so much food for thought in the realms of health, breasts, women’s relationships to their bodies, etc., etc., etc….

Maybe opening up more of those conversations can be a healthy by-product of the story.

Miranda says:

My opinion…it is certainly Angelina’s right (as it is any woman’s right) to decide what she feels is best for her. Other celebrities – Christina Applegate, Sharon Osbourne, Sheryl Crow, to name a few have also done the same thing – though not with as much sensation.

But I agree with a comment made by Dr Christiane Northrup which I found interesting – loosely quoted and summarized by me….
    “Through the media coverage people get awash in the chemicals of fear. After a diagnosis of breast cancer research shows that a woman’s chance of a heart attack increases by 2500% because of the biochemistry of fear. The more afraid we are the more stuck we are and then the more we can be manipulated by powers that can profit from that fear. We follow that voice of fear and make decisions based on that.”

So what happens when a celebrity who is a symbol of beauty (I think she may have been voted ‘the most beautiful woman in the world’ at one point)saturates the news with such a controversial topic, then the fear that is already around ‘cancer’ escalates and magnifies tremendously. So as women we could easily lose our most precious gift of inner intuition about what our particular body might need at any given moment. And that may include all avenues from medical to alternative.
    That is the frenzy that I see happening. We are constantly bombarded with things that are not good for us, what we should do about it, and the information is often contradictory.
    Many people look up to Angelina for her humanitarian work and so could be easily influenced by this.
    But that is part of our learning about self-authority (which is what Rose is all about) It is brave in my opinion to listen to that voice within, in spite of all the noise outside that competes with that.

Elaine says:

My take is that anyone who has witnessed cancer first hand, and then is told you have a strong possibility toward the same disease, may well consider extreme measures to not go the same route. I would think seeing what her mother went through, (and her aunt also I believe) and Jolie being fairly young with children, she would try to circumvent it ever happening to her.

I am merely posting this as a sidenote. Watching someone die from cancer can have quite an emotional punch in someone’s life, regardless of their fame/status etc. I believe it mostly definitely impacted her decision in this matter, causing her to take such drastic action.

Annie O'Brien says:

Hi all

I thought I would weigh in on this one as I too was shocked to read about Angelina’s double mastectomy. It’s been a long time, so here goes…

Throat Chakra – Verbal Integrity
    There is a hollowness to Angelina’s words and no connection to her heart whatsoever. It’s all about Angelina Jolie. I won’t say it’s a publicity thing, only that she does like the limelight, and it doesn’t matter in what context. She is acting a part.

The Third eye – for Spiritual Integrity
    Angelina has dabbled in the dark side….doesn’t appear to be involved in that now although it has had a flow on effect as there are problems in this databank. Quite short and stubby, no growth happening there. Also, there is a bulging in the forehead area – my inner dictionary tells me, in her case, she is plagued with headaches, and may be taking strong medication for these.

The Heart Chakra – Emotional Self Awarenss
    There are regrets and sadness in this databank. Growth is that equivalent of a child. Despite how Angelina presents she does not love herself, and it wouldn’t surprise me if she wasn’t a cutter in her younger days. This double mastectomy could be fulfilling some unconscious need within her to self harm in this drastic way.

bmeade says:

Throat chakra for verbal integrity: “I say whatever I want to get whatever I want”. There seems to be no second thoughts concerning the ethics or the truthfulness of what she says. She’s very used to, it’s expected, having people automatically doing what she asks and no one questioning her requests, logic, or motives. This seems to be the norm especially within her inner circle of staff and those in the service industries whom have brief contact with her.

Third eye chakra for spiritual integrity: “I am the God of my world.” Does she not believe in God? I don’t know her personal beliefs, but from what I picked up she’s the sole creator of her reality.

Heart chakra for emotional self-awareness: I get no thoughts or energetic activity concerning this at all. It’s like the still surface of a lake on an insufferably hot, still, breeze-less day. It’s there, it’s not a dead lake, but the activity is dead still.

One more wave of wisdom from you Blog-Buddies — superb!

An extra shout-out goes to B MEADE and ANNIE O’GRIEN. (Dear ANNIE, such a rare treat to see your words gracing this blog. 🙂 )

ZELDA, all those conversations you wished would open up in your Comment 23, yes! Let us open up all those topics here.

May Deeper Perception and Energetic Literacy inform how we face reality.

Also, courageous ELAINE, is there anything you would like to add here (that you haven’t written about elsewhere in your powerful book on grief)? Any comments related to living with someone who has cancer?

ELAINE, I’m now at a computer with only one window, so it would really time-consuming to search and link to that book, but please do that in a standalone comment here at the blog, both the title and your favorite author’s link. Pretty please.

Rachel says:

I confess, I am far less interested in what Angelina Jolie does or does not do than I am in the politics that lurks, unnoticed, behind the scenes, and is so easy to overlook.

… that’s assuming there is any truth in the article I posted, of course… who knows what the truth really is?

But I for one am becoming increasingly concerned with all these huge corporate deals to get ‘ownership’ of seeds and to render many natural herbs and medicines ‘illegal’ (that’s here in Europe, at any rate).

The patenting of genes and positioning of corporations to make huge amounts of money by exploiting people’s fears around illness is just one more aspect of this disturbing trend.

David says:

Just a comment to the holistic vs allopathic points.
    I fully agree that western medicine has a profound roll in dealing with things like broken bones, infectious diseases, and a number of specific problems.

Where western falls down though is the mechanistic view of the body. When people have systemic or generalized issues, they often become chronic. The viewpoint doesn’t know how to treat the body as a whole. Hence “holistic” therapies that can help with a wide range off issues. I’d include energetic literacy in that as well.

I’ve been very helped with western in the past when I injured myself or became ill. But at one point, I was working in a rather toxic office. I was actually issued a full-face gas mask to work there at one point. (picture answering the phone with such on) I began to develop a variety of systemic issues that a variety of western specialists were able to do nothing about, other than documenting the effects. On a friends recommendation, I went to an Ayurvedic doc. He was able to diagnose the core issue very quickly and prescribed inexpensive herbs and very simple lifestyle changes that had a profound effect on the issues.

After that, I took alternative holistic approaches more seriously.

I think both have a role. I agree that Angelina has every right to make her own choices but I’m not sure she would have made that choice if she had been more exposed to viable alternatives.

German New medicine, for example, sees all cancers as the bodies response to unresolved traumas. Resolve the trauma and heal the cancer. They have some pretty interesting research that shows where in the brain the trauma is stored and what trauma corresponds with what cancer.

Chinese medicine has gone mainstream here, with a large clinic attached to a large teaching hospital.

Elaine says:

Rose, the only thing I would add is that the person witnessing/caring for someone with cancer feels equally debilitated and things are out of control, as if they’re on a wild ride with no brake.

People talk about someone being in denial, and from my experience it’s all about jumping through hoops doing this or that in the hope that this ill person will live, and the end point is it’s really not up to you, which feeds to a sense of helplessness.

Experiencing someone dying from cancer, without someone knowledgeable in removing frozen blocks of energy, etc., can be pretty decimating. I honestly can’t imagine losing someone at age 47 and living another 50 years with all that grief, helplessness and anger, etc. recirculating 24/7 for the rest of one’s life. I think that in itself can add some numbness to your life, blur your thinking to a degree, even though seems might look pretty okay on the outside.

Elaine says:

Here it is. A Widow’s Journey by Grace Brannigan

Anabela says:

I am not a supporter of Angelina Jolie.

But I am appalled at the the ganging up on her by using “energetic literacy.” I don’t believe this is being used in the most magnanimous of ways.

Accurate aura readings do take practice and a clarity of mind. I sense an abuse of it, and I question the accuracy of these findings.

There is a multi-billion dollar industry designed to prevent people like Ms. Jolie from having any meaningful privacy.

I believe that Ms. Jolie would have simply come to the conclusion that a double mastectomy would be impossible to keep private.

Thus, announcing the surgery herself gives her a little control over the story.

It is perverse that it is necessary for her to “get out in front of the story”, but that doesn’t change the fact that Ms. Jolie’s surgery is none of our business.

Like Anabela, I am very uncomfortable with the way Ms. Jolie’s decision is being audited here.

Dave says:

” I sense an abuse of it, and I question the accuracy of these findings.”

Anabela, you’re invited to use your own energetic literacy skills, should you possess them, to research Angelina Jolie, and post the findings here. That might by a better use of time than questioning other people’s intentions based on hunches.

Primmie says:

Thank you for all the comments above, this is a very interesting discussion. It has clarified a few things for me about cancer and how I respond to it.

I had a dear friend who died a few years ago from cancer. She had a beautiful peaceful death. She was ready to go and so she did. Ideas about healing traumas and therefore healing her body that I’d long subscribed to were meaningless to me watching her die.

I understand about healing trauma in the body and how it profoundly effects health. I’ve experienced that myself. What I don’t like is when people use these ideas to negatively judge another person’s journey with health. By negatively I mean feeling that there is another superior way to do things. I don’t think succumbing to cancer is a failure for a person.

Primmie says:

It is very helpful for me to think about these issues, so thank you everyone for participating in this thread.

After having a near death experience when my twins were born I know I have nothing to fear from death. Perhaps that has also some bearing on my feelings about illness. I’m sure there is great benefit to be found in looking for the reasons for illness and dealing with those reasons. Equally though I feel that death, when it inevitably comes, is a precious experience and if you haven’t managed to heal all your trauma and are dying of cancer that that is really alright. You’re not a failure, you’re not bad, you don’t need to worry that you didn’t learn all the lessons you were supposed to. Death makes everything okay. Everything feels perfect, at least that was what I felt when I was close to it.

Primmie says:

Apologies for writing yet another comment!

A few years ago I went out to dinner with a friend of mine. She had just discovered she was pregnant. She was newly married and had decided to try for a baby. She fell pregnant immediately. I on the other hand had been trying to get pregnant for years without success. Over dinner my friend said to me “You might have another lesson to learn before you are able to get pregnant. I had to learn a lot before I did” It was an insensitive thing to say and marked the beginning of the end of our friendship.

It also meant that I further questioned the belief that people get rewarded in life for learning the right lessons. Sure, lessons can be learnt by what happens in life, but should I pat myself on the back for being a good person because nice things happen to me and berate myself for being bad if things are difficult? That seems bizarre to me.

I now have children but I don’t believe that I learnt the right lessons so I was then allowed to have them. I just feel incredibly blessed and lucky and I am mindful of how little influence I have over nature. Illness will happen, death will happen, babies will be born, or not. Life to me seems miraculous and random and if I can learn from it then that is wonderful, but I think feeling that I am in control of everything that happens is a desire of mine to be more important than I really am.

I realise that this is quite far away from discussing Angelina Jolie’s decision about surgery! Sorry for going way off topic.

Blog-Buddies, this thread continues to open up such deeply felt opinions and beliefs, along with an ongoing Aura Reading Jamboree to explore, “Who is this person, really?”

ADAM, I agree with you about the huge industries involved in promoting public figures. Perhaps it is true that Ms. Jolie feared she couldn’t outrun the media, and this is why she has chosen to go so very public on her health decision, the exact words she has used when speaking to her children, etc.

Personally I doubt it. Three words (or is it two?): Non-disclosure agreements.

There is so much we won’t know about any of this, nor care to know. I continue to encourage aura reading at this blog, including the exploration of chakra databanks belonging to public figures.

Neither to attack, nor to assign motives, but to explore who-you-be for people we’re talking about anyway.

Curious As Ever says:

Chiming in here: let’s not forget that there is a veritable army of publicists behind Ms Jolie herself, and every movie and product she has been promoting since the beginning of her career– so she’s hardly a nonparticipating victim of the press and public attention. That said, I also think it’s vitally important to remember that every human being, including “larger than life” celebrities, deserves compassion. And I also think everyone has a journey through this life that is to some degree a mystery.

Curious As Ever says:

And I thank you so much, Rose, for doing this blog. I learn so much from these posts.

Amanda says:

Primmie, please don’t apologise, I loved reading every single one of your comments, and agree that this idea of ‘must learn lessons’ just puts on the pressure and implies failure when life doesn’t work out the way it ‘should’.

It always should be just what it is, no blame or shame, and the way you wrote was just wonderful. Thank you.

Amanda

Amanda says:

On the comments about Angelina Jolie’s readings, I see readings as being just that and remember that stuff can always, always be healed.

(Now where did I get that idea? 🙂 )

I don’t see in any way that they are anti Ms Jolie, or different in any way to various other readings on the blog.

I also don’t see any shame in having negative stuff – it would make encountering most people in the world a bit difficult!

Amanda

Amanda says:

Primmie, just to add, your comments reminded me of something I forget too often, which is though we do learn lessons and heal, it can often be a bit of a roundabout journey and on its own schedule. Our linear minds do like to box and delineate and plan, but life is generally completely unexpected.

Thank you for that reminder of joy. Did I mention I liked your comments? 🙂

Amanda

CURIOUS AS EVER and AMANDA, thank you so much for these latest comments. Very inspiring as I head for home today. One vacation completed and a resolution, for now, of one of the trickier threads we have had at this blog.

As individuals, as a community, and as pioneers using today’s emerging skills of Energetic Literacy… we are finding our way.

When will we do aura reading or Skilled Empath Merge in a spirit of adoration, appreciation, wonder at each precious individual person?

When will we use Energetic Literacy more for discernment as New Age (and other) consumers?

Can Energetic Literacy inform us to avoid being manipulated by media?

How can Deeper Perception assist us to discern vested interests aiming to shape expectations about health care and medical choices? Might Energetic Literacy help us engage with greater wisdom, using free will in making health choices?

Our conversations on this thread show a non-pretty engagement that can be troubling and complex and nuanced. I celebrate all you Blog-Buddies who are taking aura reading from the pretty-pretty, rainbow, astral stereotypes about aura reading into this new creation of ours, spiritual evolution with our birthright of using literacy to bring more and more truth into human lives.

Primmie says:

Thank you Amanda! I very much appreciate and enjoy your comments here on the blog. Funnily enough, especially when I don’t agree with you because you express yourself so well always make me think. I love that.

Amanda says:

Primmie, thank you! 🙂

I love debate too, and most of all because it’s so human – in the end it’s not about the opinions so much as the learning that comes and the connection that is made with one another.

My opinions change over and over and I’m learning not to rely on them as fixed facts, but I do like people opening their hearts and expressing themselves.

Amanda

PRIMMIE and AMANDA, not only are conversations here human. They are one of the ways our blog helps this entire community.

You have no idea how many lurkers have been inspired by these comments.

Primmie says:

Amanda I really agree with you about opinions. Yes, still enjoying your comments even when I agree with them 😉 I also change my opinions quite a lot. Things just seem less certain the older I get. The last time I had a proper argument over opinions was almost 2 years ago and what a waste of my time it was. I learn a lot from people thinking differently from me but I’m not so interested in getting entrenched about opinions any more.

I’m sure lots of people are inspired by the comments on the blog here, I am and I think what people write here is consistently interesting.

PRIMMIE, I agree with both your comments so far today. I know what you write here is consistently interesting, so you’re included in that “what people.” 🙂

And I especially enjoyed this sentence from your Comment 50:

Primmie says:

Am delighted to be included in the “what people” thank you!