Householder Enlightenment, a Guest Post by ANITA

Householder Enlightenment

Householder Enlightenment — absolutely beautiful and humanly gorgeous

Householder Enlightenment is a new kind of goal. As so much about Enlightenment is tied to traditions of renunciation.

Each of us is following a personal path that is sacred and beautiful. Lately we have had blog conversations about Householder Enlightenment as one possible goal for personal evolution.

Much as traditional investigation of the nadis within chakras was a more mechanical matter 10,000 years ago, not juicy and replete with personal needs and components of actualizing potential — such as aura-reading chakra databanks that are part of energetic literacy, investigated at this very blog.

Recently Blog-Buddy ANITA had some perceptive comments to make on the topic of Householder Enlightenment. Three comments in a row. I have combined them into one sumptuous guest post, adding just minor edits, links, and headings.

ANITA ought to know about Householder Enlightenment, as the comments that follow are based on her personal experience. (Check her out on our Enlightenment Life List.) Enjoy perceptive ANITA, everyone. 🙂

Being a Householder means accentuating the human

One of the big take-away messages I have received over the years goes something like this:  “We are spirit made manifest in human form.”

As a householder, I’m continually reminded of this. (Whether I want to be or not, I might add!) Like Julie in Comment #50 at Name Alignment Research, a powerful new way to express your soul., there are things that I want to accomplish, So there I experience a “dance” between the inner state and the external side of life.

I recently read an article by a gifted and wise astrologer that I won’t be able to do justice to here. Still, I’ll try to explain what he said because I think it gets at something I’m trying to say.

• In order to learn and grow, we have to be in form in order to have experience.  We also need to be grounded by the limitations of time and space, among other things.
  • If we were in spirit, we would live in a limitless timeless infinite dimension.  It would be endless bliss.
  • But it would also be hard to learn and grow without any constraints (“limiting structures” is the language some astrologers like to use).

“Limiting structures” don’t have to be perceived as things that block you.  After all, it’s comforting to know that the sun rises and falls every day and that there are fairly consistent prices on items one wants to buy at the grocery store.

It would be scary to go to the store if milk cost $2 one day and $200 the next day.

These limiting structures act like a funnel of sorts.  If you have $2 with you, you can decide whether you want to buy milk that day.  If you don’t, you have to figure out where you can get $2 or whether you can go without milk.

OK, I hope that analogy made sense.

Unchanging Life amid Ever-Changing Life

I think that paradox is a good way of describing this:  on the one hand, everything is perfect and we are one with life.  In that sense, living in the eternal now as spirit, everything is just right and exactly so.

However, in another sense, in form, we have feelings and desires; we want to experience change and growth; we like to see the seasons change, watch our children grow and develop.

(I don’t have children yet, I might add, but I don’t think I would want my children to stay the same age forever; at the same time, I agree with a mother who wrote that sometimes she feels such nostalgia about a memory of her child when the child was younger that she cries and has to remind herself to enjoy the child she has now, not who the child was then.)

Since we are both spirit and form, there is both unity and duality simultaneously – hence the seeming paradox.

I was reminded of two movies that I saw this summer, “Elysium” and “Wolverine.”

When people go to Elysium, they can live almost forever because all disease has been wiped out.  Jodie Foster, who stars in the movie, was asked if she wanted to live forever and responded, “Who would?  I feel tired just thinking about it.”

The comic book character Wolverine is immortal.  One of his existential struggles is that everyone around him eventually dies, while he does not.

Nothing perfect in form… includes people

OK, having said all this, my personal feeling is that there is nothing “perfect” in form –- and that includes people.

It is imperfection that gives things in form their special-ness.

Their imperfection reflects life and what is real – their impermanence, the transient nature of all life (and all form) itself.

It is the philosophy that drives wabi-sabi; it is why Persian rugs have an imperfection deliberately knitted in; why natural design materials and elements have made a comeback in design.

It is why we frame the hand drawn picture a child makes for us and treasure it or why the bowl that was hand made by a friend in pottery class has a special place in the kitchen cabinet.

So, if my annoyance and frustration at getting caught in traffic is a sign of my imperfection, so be it.

If my cooking disasters reflect how very human I am and how much I still have left to learn and grow, so be it (and thank goodness for pizza delivery).

There are still miles to go before I sleep :)

Dave says:

Great blog post.

I think writing on the integration of day to day life with enlightenment and awakening is really important.

How to balance and integrate spirituality and being an ambitious human is not easy.

Jean says:

Wow. Thank you Anita.

Adam McIntosh says:

Love it.

Thank you Anita.

This is such a beautiful post Anita, it really resonated with me. Thank you!

Julie says:

Hi Anita,

I like very much what you said about limiting structures, and how they don’t have to be perceived as things that block you. Kind of like the physical body, which could be perceived (and hopefully nobody but me has ever done this) as an endless food machine, constantly needing things – more food, more exercise, more care, more rest.

But it doesn’t have to be seen that way! It can be seen as a partner to the spirit. A partner in crime, or better yet, a partner in happiness. Not an inconvenience or limitation, but a full and necessary partner that does it’s darndest to help the spirit be grounded so it can manifest some of what’s “up there”, “down here” on Earth. And a source of joy in its own right.

Julie says:

Anita,

I love what you said about spirit and form, and growth and change. It reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Tuck Everlasting. It’s a children’s movie about a family that has found the spring of everlasting life and drunk from it.

The girl in the movie, played by Alexis Bledel, finds the family and has to choose – does she drink also and live forever, or does she stay as she is, human and bound by time?

Spoiler alert –

At the end we see her grave and realize that she chose mortality. It’s a bittersweet ending, but with a sense of rightness to it. She chose to live a nomal, natural life, with seasons and changes and beginnings and endings. It came full circle.

It’s bittersweet in the way you described, like when a mother looks back with nostalgia on the time when her child was young, and yet she wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s sad, but there’s also a sense of rightness to it. It’s the way of nature.

That may be the “mysterious something” that I talked about before – the force that moves and drives us onward to grow and change. It could be called different things, but one of them surely is Nature.

I liked what David said “in some ways we can say its driven by choice. In other ways what unfolds is driven by life itself, to flower into it’s own fullness.”

Nature wants that flowering to happen.

Oh, these are such wonderful insights, everyone. 🙂

In the context of transcendence based in humanness, here is a link to a Blog-Buddy who lurks, generally, rather than comments.

You are invited to explore “Glasshouses 29: Angel Oloshove” — replete with gorgeous visuals courtesy of Angel.

Here’s the link:

Congratulations, Angel

Julie says:

Very cool, Angel. Congratulations!

Anita says:

I am deeply moved that so many people responded to this post – which I didn’t even intend to be a post at all!

LOL.

Anita says:

I have to say, I was responding to comments made by others in a post that was about changing one’s name (name alignment research).

These was such a great flow of conversation there that I felt moved to respond with three successive comments. Those comments became this post.

Anita says:

Dave,

Comment #1: “I find myself vacillating between many different feelings and perspectives lately.”

This isn’t surprising to me. There is a lot of change happening on the planet right now. My sense, from what I am reading, the conversations that I am having, what I am seeing and experiencing…

On some level, everyone is collectively being called to find balance between spirituality and daily human life.

Anita says:

Julie,

Comment #5: You’re not the only one who has perceived the physical body as an annoyance or burden. What, me, I have to stop what I’m doing to eat? I have to sleep? Such a waste of productive hours that could be used!

But it’s as you said. Our bodies act as our vehicles through life. They can be our partners in happiness.

Anita says:

Angel,

Comment #7: Thanks for sharing your website with us. I’m a huge appreciator of all art forms, so it was a treat to explore your site.

Anita says:

Kylie,

Comment #4: That’s a special honor from you, as I am still reeling from your post about your name change. Wowzer. So powerful.

Anita says:

Jean,

Comment #2: It’s always a pleasure and a treat to see your comments at the blog. You are such a huge appreciator of everyone here. It was some of your comments at the other post that inspired me to comment there.

Anita says:

Adam,

Comment #4: Thank you.

Anita says:

Julie,

Comment #6: I know the movie. You and David captured the “mysterious something” beautifully.

In the past year, my hair started to gray a little bit, but it was very subtle, almost imperceptible. Only my hairdresser (and I) noticed it. He thought I might enjoy coloring my hair, so in the spring and summer, I dyed it, then later I got highlights. It felt totally fun and right for summer.

Now, as we transition into fall, the color is fading and the gray is starting to come in again… But when I look in the mirror, I like seeing the more muted color and my natural hair color at the roots.

The astrologer who wrote about form also talks about how time gently “squeezes” us to act (limiting structure). Seeing my fading hair color reminds that time is passing – and that it’s natural.

Amy says:

Thank you Anita! I am still learning to see my body as my partner in life. Like Julie mentioned, sometimes I can only see all the hair that always needs to be brushed.

Jean says:

Anita,

Comment #15. Thank you Anita….I am moved 🙂

‘Tis true….I do so appreciate what you have to say – and all the input from everyone on this blog.

And of course many thanks to….Rose!

Jean says:

Oh my the body issue….

Since I did a first reading, I have been thinking about Julies IMHO spot- on comment #5….
    – then considering Anitas thoughts in comment #12 and #17
    – on to Amy in comment #18.

Many thanks to all of you.

For myself – I have been cultivating more of a ‘teamwork approach’
    (as it were) with my body… more so than ever before.

Lo and behold this approach has been helpful 🙂

That being said I do still experience good ole’ human frustration, impatience and…..er…..some dismay as to the time and effort expenditure required to keep my particular body a movin’ along.

Ah and yet what a wonderful teaching relationship
    – that being the relationship between ones own soul being and ones own physical body.

Now if you all will please excuse me I must get on to…(you guessed it)
    – eat, shower, wash hair…..gracious maybe even put on some make-up….

Julie says:

Anita,

Comment #12: It’s always a balancing act.

[Snip.]

[Rose here. Julie has commented on Anita’s Comments 12 and also 17. Such wisdom and substance, this is being elevated to a guest post. Look for it this weekend, Blog-Buddies. For today, there’s another post already scheduled to go live. Look for that one soon as I can polish it up. 🙂 ]

Julie says:

Jean,

You sound like you have a wonderful sense of humor. Some dismay? I think most of us can relate to that.

David says:

Good choice to upgrade this to a post, Rose. And thanks Anita for the insightful comments-post and comments. Thanks all for the further comments too. Great read.

I’ve certainly had the tendency to “go popsicle” and ignore the body and practical life. But the further stages do tend to ground it more.

I’d also like to mention Rose’s post about stages of enlightenment. It’s useful to be reminded that the duality of inner unity and outer world is not, contrary to the common renunciate message, the end of the process. Over time and refinement, there comes another stage where the outer and inner are recognized as one and the same – that the boundless inner silence within also underlies the outer world.

In a process of experience and become, all is united in one wholeness and the world is also recognized as ourselves. This brings a profound intimacy with all things, right on the surface.

But yeah, still a life to be lived. Only now, really in it, not just observing it.

Thanks, DAVID, for more of the usual wisdom. That reminder about stages of Enlightenment is important, don’t you think, given the latest trend to call any spiritual experience evidence of “Awakening”?

And as though “Awakening” is one end state. Or necessarily, for that matter, Enlightenment.

I take it you’re back from retreat. Hope it was lovely. 🙂

David says:

Agreed, Rose. Another BAT interview had someone who was a former TM teacher now a leader in another teaching. They’ve been announcing thousands “awakening”. It turns out what they mean by the term is nothing like most understand it and is well before any real shift. Telling someone ego-identified they’re spiritually awake doesn’t serve anyone well.

And yes, many who have had a basic real awakening are convinced they’re done and have begun teaching, well before what you refer to as Enlightenment. Still Stuff-loaded.

There again is why energetic literacy is so important for potential students.

Yes – the retreat is over. Now I’m on a little holiday. It was lovely and very potent, yes.

Amanda says:

Hello all,

On the body front.. well, gosh, I adore my body. I might love watching nature documentaries but my body is a part of that same miracle of existence, and my particular body is animated by me.

My body tells me where my issues are, and releasing my tension patterns is a wonderful process of unfoldment and realisations and aha’s – all from this deep, deep wisdom encoded in the cells of my being.

Always moving, balancing, shifting, changing, processing.. always wanting to be well and to feel the joy of movement and life and breath..

I love Her. and my body is, in its fundamental essence, Her. I can only sit and watch in wonderment as this organic intelligence unfolds.

You may have noticed I am gushy about my body. I am. I adore this (literal) incarnation and how deeply it unfolds!

Amanda

AMANDA, such an inspiration!

My favorite/favourite sentence:

“I might love watching nature documentaries but my body is a part of that same miracle of existence, and my particular body is animated by me.”

Amanda says:

Thank you, bilEngual Rose!

😀

Amanda

David says:

Hi Amanda
    Thanks for the description. Your outlook sounds richly healthy.

I am curious about one thing. People usually have a dominant sense that influences how they experience the world and the way their enlightenment unfolds subjectively. Would you say you are more of a kinesthetic or touch person? You pay attention to your feelings and perhaps clairsentience?

By comparison, I’m very visual and conceptual so see my body more as a vehicle or tool. I needed to learn to more consciously ground.

Amanda says:

Hi David,

I am very body-focused now but that wasn’t always the case. It’s been a result of work and care and attention – I grew two inches when I first went for bodywork and it showed me how truly holistic the mind-body-spirit connection is.

And vice versa – breathing gently into tensions can often cause realisations without effort.

I have always been told I’m an earthy, grounded type though I wouldn’t have thought of it in those terms. I am certainly sensual, and love touch and relaxation and the feel of physical presence.

in the past, however, I was a real absent-minded professor, always off in the conceptual.

I could write poem upon poem to my body now. It’s such a blessing.

Amanda

David says:

Thanks, Amanda. Doesn’t sound like dominant sense then. But thanks for sharing how that unfolded.

“I also found that tension patterns in my muscles, fascia and posture reflected distortions of viewpoint in the mind – or indeed my areas of learning – so I’m always aware of the part of my body that is releasing when I learn or understand something new.”

Fascinating. I certainly notice where things are released but have not associated them like that. I notice changes to my inner landscape when something new unfolds but not so much how it shows in the way the body expresses. I’ll pay more attention to that.

Kira says:

Wow, I’ve lost track now of who to reference in this comment! Anyway, I’m happy to be in my body now, but I wasn’t even fully *in* my body until recently; and I too had the sense that a body was “high maintenance”.