Falling into Spiritual Addiction, Again. A guest post by MADELINE

Telling time, pretty helpful for overcoming spiritual addiction

Today’s courageous guest post may inspire those of you who have moved into spiritual addiction. Or moved out of it, then come on back.

Sure, you may be familiar with my recommendation: 20 Minutes of Daily Technique Time, Tops.

But what really constitutes a technique? How can you protect yourself from falling into spiritual addiction?

“Technique Time” means any use of your time, during waking hours, that unnecessarily  positions your consciousness away from human vibrational frequencies.

Whether objective experience or subjective exploration about life as it is right on the surface — that can be a great place of safety.

Everyone has away moments, where you float away into daydreams, recycling old pain, or just not present to here-and-now reality. After a few seconds, a moment of choice arrives. What do you do then? If you persist, that’s “Technique Time.”

Instead you can always position yourself in objective reality by moving, talking, splashing water on your face. Just don’t text and drive. 😉

Of course, that last one has nothing to do with Technique Time. I just want you to live.

It’s a shame I cannot personally introduce you to our guest poster MADELINE. Because if you met her, I suspect you would be charmed. She is gutsy, sensuous, okay also sexy, book smart and people smart. Her empath skills are working  so well for her now. In totally human ways, she is such a delight.

The following will introduce you. Presenting this cautionary tale, I have added only headings, links, and the occasional edit.

Spiritual addiction, not clearly labeled here at Earth School

Twice now I have scheduled an appointment with Rose because I was feeling awful. Depressed, unfocused, ungrounded. Each time, I didn’t know what was wrong with me.

The first time Rose informed me that I was spiritually addicted and helped me to heal this. I was advised to only do 20 minutes of spiritual techniques, etc. per day, in order to avoid another occurrence.

I faithfully kept to 20 minutes of any type of practice, like meditation, reading auras etc.

Except once again I started feeling down and depressed.

I am not a depressed personality and have a pretty good happiness set point, I think most people would agree that I am a happy person the majority of the time so this was odd.

Again I scheduled an appointment with Rose and once again she found that I had fallen into spiritual addiction.

I was truly puzzled by this and so I started to think about the things I had been doing during times other than my official 20 Daily Minutes of Technique Time, Tops.

Technique Time? Hello!

One by one, these are the questions I asked Rose:

“Would watching hours of Near Death Videos, with people talking about their heavenly experiences, count towards 20 Daily Minutes of Technique Time, Tops?”

Her answer was a resounding “Yes.”

“Would listening to Buddha at the Gas Pump interviews of people discussing Enlightenment and all kinds of methods and experiences to get to Enlightenment, might that count towards 20 Daily Minutes of Technique Time, Tops?”

Again a resounding “Yes.” Of course.

“Would imagining my life in the future in an ideal way count towards 20 Daily Minutes of Technique Time, Tops?”

Once again, “Yes!”

“Would reading books about Near-Death Experiences and books about Enlightenment count?”

By now I didn’t really need to ask, of course.

By Jove, she’s got it! I think she’s got it!

Finally a lightbulb went off.

Anything that positions your consciousness away from the here and now, living in your human life, counts as your 20 Daily Minutes of Technique Time, Tops.

I was indulging in hours a day reading, imaging, watching videos. And that didn’t even take in to account any practice of aura reading or meditation. No wonder I had become spiritually addicted.

Doing these things felt great at the time and took me to wonderful places that I wanted more of (hence the addiction).

Afterwards, when living in my regular human life, what happened? Compared to the wonders of the NDEer or the experiences of the Enlightened etc., life felt very dull and depressing.

I was completely unaware that these seemingly innocent practices were taking over and overshadowing my every day human life.

Once again, healing put me back on track, back to the 10% of those living in the happy middle ground.

Only now I have a greater understanding of what constitutes a spiritual practice. Also, I appreciate the importance of staying in your human life most of the time. So much beauty, wonder, and newness is there to enjoy if I only am willing to “Shallow up.”

Jesse says:

Fascinating post.

I once heard someone tell me the past is about probabilities. The future is about possibilities and the present is where you are in control. How do you know if you are present? Make a decision is one way. Have a sensory experience is another.

Zelda says:

Great post, Madeline. I can relate to it.

A few years ago, I used to read a lot of spiritually oriented books, listen to Hay House Radio, etc. I didn’t get the connection between all that and spiritual addiction back then.

I made an interesting discovery recently after reading Rose’s post on the latest practitioners who are involved with the Ponzi scheme she’s written of.

I thought back to the time a couple of years ago, when I not only read one of the person’s books, but got emails and had some recordings on my iPhone to listen to while on the train to work. Yikes.

Most recently, I’ve actually been enjoying doing geeky things like creating new organizing systems for finances, work, whatever. I notice how much it helps me stay grounded. And it really does make me happy.

I also noticed that it has been a very long time since I’ve listened to any recordings, radio shows, etc. I seem to have developed an internal “cringe” response to going down that path.

In a recent session with Rose, I was resisting a particular work gig that I needed for the money. Rose gave me the “shallow up” talk and it really did help. I make a game of it now.

I no longer focus on the ideal with these students I teach, but stay playfully shallow.

They do the same. Only 1 of the 16 seems to care about her grade. The rest seem to just want to have a good time.

Not only is the shallowing-up good for staying firmly grounded in my human life, but it is infinitely less stressful! And it tends to be easier to see humor in situations.

I can see now how a constant focus on how various aspects of my life didn’t meet certain ideals stressed me out.

Madeline says:

Thank you so much Rose for the kind comments, I’m still blushing, lol.
    thanks Jesse and Zelda I relate so much to your comments about life being less stressful when you stay firmly grounded, I loved your comments.

Jeanne says:

Also loved this post. Thanks, Madeleine!

My MO until fairly recently had been a profound dissatisfaction with the human experience leading me to try extra-hard to make it better, or be miserable trying!

All that earnest pushing to perfect my human life has produced a lot of misery for me.

I think this was my way of trying to go home, less Romance of the Astral and more Romance of the Ideal Human.

Needless to say, all it’s done has made me more homesick!

So, I really love shallowing up. And being sloppy. Helps me feel so much more at home in, and accepting of, the human experience.

And like Jordan, I have been shallowing up at work, with marvelous results. So much more fun! And so far, I haven’t lost my job, either. 😉 Definitely, and surprisingly to my old uber-striver self, I do a much better job when I keep it shallow!

Jeanne says:

Oops, I was referring to Zelda’s comment, not Jordan’s (she hasn’t commented). Sloppy! 🙂

See that, JEANNE? And nothing exploded.

As a recovering perfectionist, I do find it helpful to remind myself of this idea:

“Be sloppy about everything about the integrity.”

In this case, your integrity was impeccable. So what if you found a little mistake? Right a way you corrected it. No harm done.

Compare that to the harm, or stuckness, or waste of time… so many of us suffer because we mistakenly assume that integrity requires that we never, ever make a mistake.

Humans do.

The saying goes, “To err is human; to forgive, Divine.”

A (new) saying I like better?

“To err is human. To live with integrity best you can anyway? That’s as close to Divine as any human has the right to expect.”

David.. says:

Thanks, Madeline and Rose. If we include even books and videos, I do indeed go over on technique time regularly. My work is evidently technique time. 😉

Shallowing up? (laughs) Kinda the opposite of “In 2 Deep”. Maybe my blog needs a warning. 😉

Elaine says:

Great post Madeline. This adds a lot of clarity to what one might see as harmless activity but can in reality go over the top into spiritual addiction.

Suz says:

Thank you for a very helpful post.

Right now I’m a student in energy healing techniques, and according to this I’m in too deep like David. If it’s part of a specific work one is doing for a period of time, can it be called an addiction?

At least I’m not walking around doing most of those listed dreaded habits 24/7 …

How am I going to learn this stuff if I don’t spend a bit of time with it? Soon as I learn it, I’ll back off, but don’t I have to practice? Some? Aaagghhh.

Kathryn says:

Hi,
    I am certified by Rose to do Rosetree Energy Spirituality work.

I am pretty darn sure that studying Rose’s work, reading her blog, and practicing the techniques do not count toward the 20 minutes unless you are attempting to access the astral field (see things, sense things, etc) at the same time.

I am still sorting out for myself some of the differences: after all, Rose has said that she “knows” things (many of her books have been written surprising herself with what she writes)…I would have used the term the books are “channeled” but I am sure Rose would disagree with the term…and I would appreciate learning more about the difference of how she accesses information from the total field versus other ways.

Kathryn

David.. says:

Hi Kathryn
    Yes, I suspect it has more to with how you’re doing that what you’re doing. Of course, chatting with angels is obvious. But there are lots of things less obvious. For example, shopping. Are you making grounded choices for good food or consulting with entities on your food choices? Are you “checking in” with guides all the time? Where is the bulk of your attention spent?

As for knowing, when your connection to the divine is strong enough, it’s an ongoing thing, esp. through your gifts. So it just shows up in whatever you put your attention on. When writing, when considering a choice, etc.

It’s not channeling – that’s related to an astral entity. This is a result of life itself flowing through you so you just kind of pick up stuff as it goes by. Or you connect with the bigger picture when you dwell on something. It’s an effect of oneness.

Kathryn says:

DAVID, do you realize? You just attempted to answer a question that actually was directed to Rose.

ROSE, what exactly do you call the process when you receive material when you write your books?

Suz says:

Thanks for your comment 10, Kathryn. 🙂

KATHRYN, responding to that thread here, in your Comment 12, I addressed that (thoroughly enough for you, I hope) at this post:

As for the larger questions about Technique Time, I aim to respond to them soon.

KATHRYN, your Comment 10 is correct.

Learning skills does not mean delving into experience of energies.

At least it doesn’t have to.

DAVID, very wise advice in your Comment 11.

In the grocery store, you buy what you want, what seems sensible. Doesn’t have to be a game of “Ask the entity.” 😉

David.. says:

Hi Kathryn
    Yes, I know. Rose was backed up and I was sharing.

Carl says:

This is helpful dialogue. Thank you all.