Major Birthday, Major Wisdom

Birthdays, delicious at every age

Birthdays, delicious at every age

My friend SHARON GREENSPAN is having a birthday. A major birthday. The kind with a 0.

She asked me:

I’m excited to enter a new decade…I’ve been feeling a good shift in the last week or so. In preparation, I wanted to ask for advice from some people who I really admire – those who have more wisdom and experience than I do and who, seem to me, to have happy balanced lives.

What might I expect in this new decade?
What challenges did you find in your 50s?
What were the greatest rewards of your 50s?

Sweet! That Sharon made me think, Blog-Buddies. When a major birthday comes, it’s great to get advice. Well, how about giving some?

Each of us is an expert right now on at least one decade. So I asked SHARON for permission to broadcast her question far and wide… and deep, to those who know a great deal about deeper perception.

How About Sharing Some of Your Ineffable Wisdom?

Please share your worldly wisdom.

• Comment below with advice to help those in the last decade you completed. Because that expertise is fresh in your mind.
  • Comment below with ideas relevant to that decade you’re in.
  • Funny ideas and DON’Ts are just as welcome as “Learned the hard way” serious suggestions.

Use one comment box per idea, please. Makes for much easier reading. (At any decade.)

And lest Facebook has trained you to never hit ENTER on your keyboard, welcome to a gentler, less frenzied online community. Here you can make actual paragraphs.  Comment away, Blog-Buddies of all ages!

David.. says:

I had a bday with a 0 in it last month. And it happens to be leaving the decade she’s joining. But I’m dubious my life would be a good example, not to mention being a guy.

For me it was a decade of change and transition – largely for the better. Actually massively for the better but not necessarily in ways many people would relate to. My blog would be sharing the discoveries from 7 years of that, hence “Observations on the Road Home”

David.. says:

btw – Congrats to Sharon. I would describe it as a milestone or marker on life’s journey but it doesn’t have any meaning in itself. Just a good point to stop and reflect.

David.. says:

(laughs) actually thinking back, my 50th bday was something of a disaster. In retrospect it was a red flag for the sea change that would soon follow. But once the old fell away, that’s when the lights started to come on. 😉

Kira says:

I don’t have any birthday advice to offer, but I’m looking forward to what others have to say!

I just couldn’t resist retorting that Facebook didn’t train me to never hit ; I trained Facebook to understand what I wanted when I hit ! LOL

(Facebook didn’t always have the option to be able to use to start a new paragraph, but I think I was working around it by inserting what would be a “new line” command in a word processing program.)

Kira says:

Ah, interesting; ENTER disappears when I try to write it using the customary punctuation in books. Well, that makes my comment pretty hard to read!

Sorry about that.

David.. says:

In some web forms, hitting Enter triggers the Submit button.

You can sometimes get around that by holding down the Ctrl key before you hit Enter.

I use it regularly in WordPress because Enter there gives you 2 lines. If I want to go down just one line, Ctrl-Enter.

well….it seems only fitting that I also say something here about my 40s. For me, they started out a few inches shy of “bottom” — my depression and arthritis at worst; add a tumor and excess weight…I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

40s were the turning point – the start of a new, enlightened life. I learned who I am on a deeper and higher level. I learned what really matters. And I learned to pray. A lot 😉

Now I am healthy, living with my perfect soul mate and embracing shifts.

Oh, and I got a new name at 40: Ma’am. Can’t say I loved it, but I’ve gotten used to it 😉

To anyone turning 40: enjoy the mid-life shift. Ride the wave. Look for deeper meaning and remember that you are connected to all things and much energy outside yourself.

Kira says:

Yes, Ctrl + Enter is the “new line” command in the word processors I use.

Kira says:

And the reason I have no birthday advice is that I seem to learn by bolts of inspiration, and they generally just come whenever and disregard occasions like my birthdays.

Primmie says:

40 was quite a major birthday for me as I gave birth, nearly died in the process and woke up the mother of twins. I didn’t have much time to open birthday cards!

I learnt that there’s no need to fear death, even if you are dying at a time when life is very full and potentially joyful, death is very peaceful. An odd birthday gift, but it is an amazing thing to know.

Now that I share my birthday with my twins, the other very important piece of advice I can impart is move very quickly if you want any cake 🙂

Jnana says:

Planning to spend some time alone before going on retreat, I had checked into an ashram in India early. When I realized my birthday would be then, I noted my birth time and entered my 50th year in meditation in the wall-less meditation hall with the mountains, forest, silence and solitude for company.

I had been too weary to make life plans, projects or intentions. My only intention was to not have any intentions. I would just be.

Jnana says:

But the 50s is the beginning of the Sun Period, (as I would discover many months later, when I was taught the Kabbalistic Cycle), a period when I could ask for favours.

“I need the guidance of an advanced soul. Please it needs to be in human form.”
    I got Rose.
    I ventured where I never could prior to this.
    “I’ve done my time with family. Free me completely from family karma.”
    Over the next few months, Rose would facilitate this for me with energy spirituality.

This has marked my fifties. I’m asking for this and for that. Important things.

Jnana says:

Before turning 50. I seemed to want nothing. In the run up to the Sun period I was giving away a lot of my money. I had no need for it and was happy to give it to those who were teaching the Truth or empowering the destitute. I was in the Saturn period (unbeknown to me) and I do think it was the best thing I could have done at the time.

Entering the 50s has been different. I am not continuing a life. I am starting life afresh. The old me had somehow died and a new me has been born. A ‘me’ that would no longer require ashrams, meditation or solitude. A life that would require I fully participate in the world. And this new journey is not so simple for me. I have to learn the ropes as I go along. But with all the healing Rose has facilitated for me, it is easily the least painful and most freeing time of my life.

Amanda says:

I don’t think there’s anything specific to any age except (hopefully!) more growth. It’s so individual.

My thirties were characterised by a big crash, lots of karma clearing, and awakening. I remember reading ‘in my thirties’ stories about women who grew in self-confidence and outer life, and there was no correlation.

We’re us at any age and when I think back, I have never been able to predict where I’m going, the whole thing has always come as a surprise, and one of the primary distractions or illusions seems to be overthinking or planning – wanting it all to be in a safe contained mental box.

I do it anyway, but it’s never been useful 🙂

Happy birthday Sharon, perfect just as you are and hopefully with more adventures to come.

🙂

Amanda

JNANA, so sweet of you to share this. You are not the first one who has found me in a similar manner. The remarkable thing is how you have persisted.

David.. says:

Wow – powerful stories.

Primmie – quite the birthday gift. In Jyotish they have whats called a Dasha cycle – periods of time ruled by a specific planet. They set the tone for a period of time that depends on the planet.

Birth of children is one of the events that happens at a dasha or sub-cycle change. I wonder if your dasha and solar cycles are aligned. That would make your birthday a more significant change point than for most people.

Primmie says:

David, that is very interesting, thank you. I don’t know anything at all about dasha cycles. My birthday has been an important time of renewal for me and it didn’t surprise me that my twins were born on it. I actually have two first cousins who share it.

Primmie says:

Amanda, I relate to your feelings about your 30s. It didn’t feel to me like I was becoming more powerful. More like I was disintegrating. I wouldn’t have it any other way though and am grateful for everything I went through. Maybe that’s the wisdom I got from that decade, that those difficult experiences were things I could go through and deal with. That I was no longer a young somewhat fragile woman, but someone with experience and the maturity to cope with what life sent my way.

And Happy Birthday Sharon! I hope your 50’s are full of joy.

thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

David.. says:

My thirties were a little more standard, I guess. A shift from a spiritual focus to family and career.

Funny thinking back – each decade has a very different flavour.

Kira says:

The sections of my life that had different flavors for me were demarcated by external circumstances more often than not– different school years, different jobs, different places to live (some of which coincided with each other).

Turning 30 was actually an age-related milestone I had forgotten about. Shortly after I turned 30, my sex drive woke from dormancy and I fell in love with someone who wasn’t my husband. I spent about half that decade enmeshed with that person (I mean really, really entangled) and then started working my way back out. I did lose my long-standing suicidalness during the enmeshed period, at age 34.

My next major milestones were at 37, 38, and about a month before turning 44. I turned 45 about a month ago. As my 5th-grade teacher told me once, I’m idiosyncratic. 🙂

David.. says:

Hi Kira
    Yeah, I would not say the shifts aligned with the decades. But I have come to look at my life as having “chapters”. At the end of a chapter, there are distinctive shifts in most of the life, leading to a new set of circumstances.

The chapters can be broadly associated with decades but only in a broader sense.