Ethical aura reading, a guest post by ZELDA

What is fair with aura reading? What is not?

What is fair with aura reading? What is not?

Adding to our ongoing exploration of ethics in aura reading and energetic literacy, ZELDA brings her long-term experience and usual thoughtfulness.

Intention matters for aura reading

I think that the intention behind doing aura reading is quite important.

If I’m contemplating developing a new business or practitioner relationship with someone, then aura reading is a tool to help me make a wise choice.

It’s especially wise if I’ve had a history of trusting untrustworthy people.

Aura reading for educational purposes

One can see that here at the blog, when Rose reads the auras of various celebrities, there’s a specific reason why she’s doing it:

How wonderful to be able to learn so much about humanity through these readings!

Aura reading as sacred work

Though incredibly practical, reading auras really is sacred work.

And I do agree that people are broadcasting who they are all the time.

I don’t see anything unethical about reading auras, but I do wholeheartedly agree that it isn’t cool to go into an aura reading with a gossipy motive.

I feel compassion for the celebrity’s vulnerability, whoever he or she is; I’m actually weary of the level of inappropriate scrutiny celebrities are subjected to in the media as it is.

Opal says:

“I do wholeheartedly agree that it isn’t cool to go into an aura reading with a gossipy motive”

I’m not sure how aura readings themselves can have a “gossipy flavor”. Like in my guest post I posted information straight from those databanks, free of my opinions or observations, even. I didn’t even include the customary “Conclusion” paragraph that Rose includes in her readings because I felt it spoke for itself. The discussions that take place in the aftermath can and do tread into that territory sometimes but I don’t see that as a reflection on the actual reading. Or someone’s ethics.

And to say that something has a “flavor” is an judgment made on information you don’t have. You can’t know the intention of the aura reader unless they express it you. That would be an assumption. I, for example, expressed my intention at the beginning of the post: to know how fame affects someone in the digital age.

Opal says:

“I will say this, not as a personal criticism, but as feedback. It’s quite off-putting to me to read an aura reading that has a gossipy flavor to it.”

Edit: Oh, I meant to respond to this quote.

Opal says:

I’m suppose I’m beginning realize how, when you put yourself out there, there’s a lot of what people see in what you do that isn’t objectively there. There’s a lot that people assume about your motivations that aren’t actually accurate.

I can only imagine how alienating the misunderstandings are for famous people. People think they know you but they don’t. They pass judgement on partial information. Aura reading demonstrates it. Just some food for thought.

Jeanne says:

Thank you for linking to Tom & Lorenzo. So much fun!

Ah, fashion. That is the place for gossip!! 🙂

Zelda says:

Hmmmm…interesting comment #3, OPAL. It’s vague in terms of using “people” and “they,” so not clear who exactly you’re referring to. But that comes on the heels of quoting part of my comment.

If you were intending to be directing your comment at me, I’d like to say that I really don’t know you at all or your motivations and have never claimed that I do. It’s kinda hard to really know people only through a few comments on a blog.

Rose chose to take advantage of a teachable moment here at the blog and I think she raised excellent points. I shared some thoughts, based on my experience with aura reading and my personal reaction to a particular type of application of aura reading. She chose to make into a guest post. I didn’t ask her to do that, but I’m fine with it.

Surely you can understand that it’s possible to have an opinion about ideas and not have it be a personal attack or judging a person. That’s a pretty big leap!

Hey, for those who love gossip, I say go for it. It’s just not my thing.

I encourage you to consider that one benefit of your sharing of your enthusiasm for aura reading and your willingness to share a reading is that what you’ve shared has encouraged some of the people who read this blog to reflect and to comment on their reflections.

Nothing wrong with that. I think it’s a good thing.

And on that note, it’s basically all I’ve got to say on the topic.

Opal says:

What are the words “off-putting” if not judgmental?

I have no problem with people have ideas and opinions but “feedback” and “encouragement” seem a bit personal when a tone is detected within the flow of the article, the perception of which is aided by such language as: “off-putting” “isn’t cool” “inappropriate scrutiny”. Especially when there’s nothing actionable do with such opinions. They become opinions, not feedback. I’m not even sure what this blog post is supposed to do that the previous post hasn’t already done. None of this is constructive. I’m not sure why this is a post and not a comment.

Opal says:

This is mean spirited. I will no longer be frequenting this site. I hope my comments get posted in their entirety.

Maria says:

ZELDA,

You hit the nail right on the head!
    Aura Reading is indeed “sacred work”.

And some things are best left UN-read,
    if only out of respect for a person and
    their boundaries.

Primmie says:

Thank you for this post and discussion. It’s been really informative for me. I find it quite helpful when thinking about a word to take a look at what it really means. This is a definition from the free dictionary:
    “Rumor or talk of a personal, sensational or intimate nature.”

I think discussing someone’s aura in a reading, indeed writing an aura reading, falls under the category of gossip. Personally, I don’t have a problem with that. I think gossip is incredibly important socially and I use it to learn a lot about the world. It’s never struck me as a bad thing to be interested in other people.

I also think that it’s really important to use information ethically and I appreciate the posts here about intentionality and what’s appropriate.

Curious as Ever says:

Re gossip. I long ago came to the conclusion that, yes, it really does matter what your intentions are, not so much the content of what you are actally saying. That old saw, “don’t say anything if you can’t say something nice” is the best stance, usually, but of course there are many instances where it would be both wise and kind to let someone know that another person, say, loses theiir temper a little too violently, or has been known to rip off elderly widows. A Niagara of examples comes to mind… But again, I think the intention in transmitting the information is what matters. And though it is certainly true that we cannot know for sure what is in someone else’s mind at any given moment, oftentimes when someone starts saying lurid / unkind things about others, and especially celebrities, it’s not psychic rocket science to figure out that what it’s really about it is that person needing to gain attention for himself/ herself in an oh-so-easy but, alas, heartless way.

PS I am not commenting on the comments above. Just saying.

And Rose, your blog is a treasure.

Zelda says:

With the recent death of a personal hero of mine, Maya Angelou, I’ve been quite affected by listening to several interviews in the past week.

That’s a wonderful thing about the internet. When an inspiring person like her dies, there is a wealth of interviews and various reminders of just how inspiring that person has been.

I listened to her describe the importance of courage. I’ve always been amazed and inspired by her blend of kindness, compassion, and no-nonsense backbone.

Oprah described being at parties at Dr. Angelou’s home and witnessing her escort someone to the door who’d told a joke with derogatory words or tone. “Not in my house!”

I’ve been contemplating all of that recently and realizing just how often I haven’t shared my opinions on various topics.

There’s certainly quite a difference between stating an opinion, sharing one’s views on a topic, and judging people.

Zelda says:

PRIMMIE, I appreciate your thoughtful comment. I agree that gossip can be important socially, mainly in work situations, IMHO. Though still, who knows how the bits of info originated.

I was mainly referring to the topic of celebrity gossip.

I was also just reflecting on the reason I’ve returned to have sessions with Rose over the years.

It can be easy to take for granted just how important that intention is that directs her aura reading. Talk about being vulnerable! Having a person do a skilled empath merge and experience you at the most intimate levels…yikes!

If that sense of the sacred were not present, I really doubt that Rose would have been able to be as successful as she has been.

Primmie says:

Zelda I really like what you’ve written about the sacred and I agree with you that having a teacher with integrity makes all the difference when you are vulnerable.

I didn’t want to disparage aura reading by writing that I believe it to be gossip. I quite like the phrase sacred gossip, but I’m probably alone in that! If I were to read a psychological profile written by a therapist I admire I would be fascinated by it. I see aura reading by Rose and others here much like that – professionals doing what they do best and I very much admire their skills and the insights they report.

Zelda says:

PRIMMIE, on my first reading, I actually somehow didn’t register your calling aura reading a type of gossip. I’ve seen your other follow-up comments and appreciate them.

Several years ago, when I was really interested in astrology, I didn’t get the sacred part of that. I loved reading charts and learning about people. I cringe at some of the things I did, like offering to read the charts of co-workers. Oy! Big mistake.

It was through those experiences and the words of some teachers along the way that I really got it. Just because I could read a chart didn’t mean that it was always appropriate.

And in my case, I was ignoring important aspects of my own life while so enthusiastic about astrology, along with being an unskilled empath.

Just realized, on digesting the conversations here recently, that that experience in general has informed my approach to Energy Spirituality.

And what a great time for informing, revising, updating everyone’s approach to Energy Spirituality!

It was just last summer that I began to name this field “Rosetree Energy Spirituality.”

Occasionally abbreviated as “RES” but not often because, really, how many people even know what is being abbreviated?

A couple of posts are in my lineup for soon, including one celebrating a new trademark and one that updates my earlier list of 10 types of STUFF that are addressed in Rosetree Energy Spirituality,

You Blog-Buddies could have varied reasons for lurking or commenting here. One of them is to witness the extraordinarily rapid growth of this field, Rosetree Energy Spirituality.

Tomorrow I start teaching the Cut Cords of Attachment Level 1 Workshop. Doing this, I am reminded of how far and how fast this skill set has progressed since publishing the first edition of the first book (on earth? certainly in English) about how to cut cords of attachment.

Publication date for that first edition was 2007. So much refinement of application has happened since then, plus new complexities since The Shift into The Age of Energy, like having a cord of attachment that contains an Energetic Ponzi Scheme.

Josefa says:

Good post. I’m facing many of these issues as well..