Father's Day Inspiration, 5 Ideas

This Father's Day, 10 reasons for you to celebrate

This Father’s Day, 10 reasons for you to celebrate

No matter what did — or didn’t — happen during your childhood, this Father’s Day can inspire you. Here are 10 reasons why.

Father’s Day Idea #1: YOU have been a father. Often.

You can be sure that YOU have been a father many times. A human father! So experience in this lifetime adds to your progressive learning about fatherhood here at Earth School.

Why do I think so? Right now, you’re not only human. You’re evolved enough to have gained Gutenberg literacy in this lifetime. You are even evolved enough to have an interest in energetic literacy. Maybe also empath skills. And even a strong desire to move toward Enlightenment?

Now I haven’t read your aura, personally. Probably. Most of you’all are lurkers here at Deeper Perception Made Practical. Even among you regular blog contributors, unless you have been in session with me, I have never done Skilled Empath Merge or aura reading on you.

Yes, spiritual evolution does show in an aura. So that would reveal a great deal. But merely being practical, of course you have been a father plenty of times by now. I have it on good authority that in order to rate an incarnation in human form on earth, each of us has had at least 10,000 lifetimes.

Daddy deer? Daddy dog? Daddy horse? All that and more.

Now that you’re made it to human, how many lifetimes have been required for you to be evolved enough to become actively self-actualizing? That’s plenty more incarnations, don’t you think?

Also it’s common knowledge in the field of past-life regression that we seldom incarnate more than twice in a row as either female or male. So you do the math.

Sure you have been a father. This is an Earth School specialty. One of your ongoing projects is to continue gaining knowledge about being a father, how to do it well, how great it can be, how hard it is. Let your continuing education about fatherhood… continue.

Father’s Day Idea #2: Keep the good

Whatever has been good between your Dad and you lives within you forever in your spiritual tie to this man.

Some relationships to a father are unalloyed goodness. In that case, lucky you. And you then will have a nice, juicy spiritual tie to your Dad.

Admittedly many relationships to fathers are mixed, while some have been downright horrible. Still there might be some shred of goodness.

What about estranged relationships with a parent?

If you had one of those awful relationships, sure you may now be estranged. Your father may have died at a certain point, leaving no room for reconciliation. What if your father still is alive and estranged, and that makes Father’s Day into a hollow sort of mockery for you every year.

Well, good for you! That can be a deeply loving thing, a way to keep yourself growing. Good for you, if you had to make that choice and you showed the courage to defy the Hallmark card stereotypes of “Gotta love Home Sweet Home.”

Sometimes we aim for exactly that estrangement in life when designing an incarnation; could be, finding that strength to stick up for yourself has been one of your highest achievements of this lifetime.

The good remains

Bottom line, be proud of how YOU have conducted yourself in the relationship with your father this time around. You did the best you could. And you get to keep that achievement.

All that good is recorded in the long history of your soul, his and yours.

Father’s Day Idea #3: Sure, you can cut your cord of attachment to Pop

That would be a pretty smart idea, regardless of how you relate to him now.

Of course, you know that your spiritual tie to your father is an entirely different type of energy structure. A cord of attachment is not some random energy cord, and it never is helpful for you.

So develop your skills to cut cords of attachment for self-healing until you have a high skill level and then tackle the one to your father. Or find an expert (I’d recommend a professional or apprentice in the field of Rosetree Energy Spirituality).

Being freed up from that very major cord of attachment can help you enjoy every Father’s Day more.

Incidentally, a (very healable) cord of attachment to your father exists, even if you were adopted

Maybe you never met your biological father.

Regardless, he lives in you still. Your spiritual tie may not be a big deal, especially if you never have met him. Regardless you will have a major cord of attachment to your biological father, even if he was just a sperm donor. Moving out that very major cord of attachment can lift a huge burden, including a touch of karma completion.

Living now, you cannot control your history. But you can take control of STUFF that lives in you from early years of this Life Contract. Even entertaining that possibility could be pretty inspiring. And moving forward by having this cord of attachment properly cut can produce profound results for your path of personal development.

Father’s Day Idea #4: You chose your father

Yowza, what were you thinking? Maybe inspiration. Maybe you found him on Craig’s List.

Just kidding. This is hardly a casual, random choice.

If you believe in reincarnation, you might want to understand the role of free will in this process. In certain traditions that do include the concept of reincarnation — Buddhism and Hinduism, for instance — there are traditional ideas about the wheel of karma and how wicked souls are forced to reincarnate, unable to help themselves.

Even Paramahansa Yogananda (mega-Enlightened, incorruptible, one of my heroes) wrote this way, sometimes. And why not? He came to America in 1920! Collective consciousness in the world has evolved a great deal since then.

Granted, this is just my point of view. Feel free to disagree anytime! IMHO, this view of reincarnation does not match up with my experiences guiding clients with Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis, including the version of Life-Between-Lives hypnosis I do with clients, a method adapted in many significant ways from the great work in past-life regression of  Michael Newton.

These days I’m calling it Life Between Lives SEAH (Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis). My findings, from helping clients, are pretty clear.

A soul chooses to have an incarnation. That soul brings ideas for a Life Contract. That soul enters into a planning meeting, where that soul has a great deal of say-so.

What about those old notions of “Life on earth as hell” and “Sinful beings cannot stop themselves from reincarnating”? These are an Eastern version of obsolete notions in Western religions, like “Sinners in the hands of an angry God” or “If you love your child, teach him to fear God” or being a “Good, God-fearing Christian.”

Collective consciousness has definitely evolved a great deal since 1920, with such accelerated evolution leading up to The Shift into The Age of Energy. During YOUR lifetime!

So free yourself up of resentment about the father you had at the start of this incarnation — if you can. Free yourself up with forgiveness, with prayer, with authentic healing that can keeps you from working hard to forgive.

Because your history lives on within you, no choice about that. By contrast, subconscious, astral-level STUFF does not have to keep on living within you.

Father’s Day Idea #5: Your Life Contract gives you a big advantage NOW

It’s a rare human being who has an easy time here on earth up to the age of 21. Because most of us have designed Life Contracts that are heavy on the negative karma replacement up to the age of 21 — or in some cases 28.

Most of your Life Contract depends on free will. Depending on how you respond to situations, where you take initiative, what your motivation is, how much healing you choose for yourself — factors like this shape your subsequent karma.

There is no time like the present, when it comes to the power of your free will. Present-time speech and actions will shape your future; free will does change your destiny.

And many of us living today have even experienced a virtual reincarnation, that great reward for superb achievement in life.  To me, this matters as much as gaining Enlightenment. (Ask why, Blog-Buddies, and I’ll be glad to share my views on that.)

Meanwhile, some aspects of the Life Contract are not subject to free-willish change. These things become “Meant to be.”

Well, hello! That includes Daddy.

Whether or not that relationship has gone well historically, now is your time of power. One way or another, keep moving along your chosen path. Celebrate how your father has helped you with that, one way or another.

Elaine says:

Beautiful post Rose!

Ryan says:

I think #6 is a dangerous idea that people everywhere need to stop promoting.

The fact is that many people (perhaps even the majority of people) are not fit in some way (physically, psychologically, financially, et cetera) to be parents.

I cannot think of anybody besides Shari Schreiber who actually promotes the idea that some people are not fit to be parents.

Ryan says:

Perhaps if the idea that people should assess if they are fit to be parents was promoted more, the world would not be so full of bad parents.

Admittedly, my opinions are probably colored by the fact that I have extremely high standards for what I consider as “fit to be a parent”, the result of having to deal with the horrors of having parents with a litany of personality disorders that include Borderline and Narcissistic Personality Disorders.

David.. says:

Thanks, Rose. Coincidentally, I went to a Ho’oponopono workshop today.

Happy that my children are reasonably accepting of who I am. Didn’t meet my own ideals, but as you say I did my best. 😉

Dave says:

Beautifully written.

Thanks, everyone, for these comments.

RYAN, clearly you have had a rough time, and you have a lot of passion around this. I am having trouble understanding why you think having compassion for your father, if you can, is a dangerous idea.

Can you explain further why you think so?

David says:

Lot’s of interesting points. Can’t say I agree with everything but certainly with the intent.

Spending your life carrying baggage about anyone – even yourself – is such a waste. In fact, if you don’t resolve it, guess what you get to do again? It’s the way to the dark side, Luke. (now there’s a tough Dad relationship to heal) 😉

David says:

The contract thing is interesting. We do agree to our dads and such prior. But we don’t write the contract as a whole. The play of karma is way to complex for that. It’s more we review and approve our best next steps. The structure of our life is written in the very fabric of creation. What is up to us is how we choose to respond as it unfolds. To grow with it or to fight it or repress it.

David says:

This is not to say it’s all fate. Beneath our apparent sense of being an individual, we are that which created all of it. We are that which chose everything. And we are that which can heal it all of it too.

This is why our time of birth has any meaning. Or the lines on our hands. Or the description of your life written on palm leaves hundreds of years ago. Your “contract” is reflected in every aspect of your being. It is the stuff your life is structured from. 😉

DAVID, it’s GREAT that you don’t agree with everything I write.

The juice to this blog is where everyone shares what you DO think, and why. I’m loving these comments, everybody!

Ryan says:

re: comment #6

Compassion is fine, ROSE. I just don’t agree with the whole “my parents did they best they could” philosophy.

RYAN, I think I appreciate your perspective better.

There are so many situations in life where people who have been badly treated are asked to dismiss their own experience, feelings, and needs… while sugarcoating the other person’s (alleged) wonderfulness. Or making excuses.

When a person has to choose between “My point of view and my needs” versus “Making allowances for someone else,” the former can be a wise priority.

Linda Stone says:

Rose,

I really enjoyed this post.

In the past I have struggled with the concept of my having chosen my rather ambitious Life Contract, especially with some pretty intense things that happened during my first 30 years of life.

I have worked very hard to heal, integrate, move beyond, and embrace the lessons that I have had in this life. And… continue to have.

Linda Stone says:

Now, after 25 more years here at Earth School, I am just now beginning to get an inkling of my thought processes.

Why did I choose the parents I had?

Why did I pick those partners?

Amazing connections are beginning to be understood: About who I am and about how my life has progressed.

I am not Enlightened yet. And I still have moments of difficult times emotionally, but I am seeing a reason and a purpose…. and I no longer feel like a victim of random strikes in life.

Linda Stone says:

Earth School is very challenging. Many people don’t “Play well with others.”

Embracing a compassionate attitude does not mean condoning harsh or bad behavior.

The biggest lesson, for me, is to have compassion for myself. When I am able to achieve that state of mind, I find that this life is not so difficult for me.

Thanks. Rose. There was a lot packed into this post.

From the heart, LINDA STONE.

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight.

Jean says:

Thanks Rose for this post – really helpful -and yes beautifully written.

Great comments everyone.

“And many of us living today have even experienced a virtual reincarnation, that great reward for superb achievement in life.
    To me, this matters as much as gaining Enlightenment.
    (Ask why, Blog-Buddies, and I’ll be glad to share my views on that.)”

I (for one) would love to hear your views on this Rose…

Aw, you’re so welcome, JEAN.

Okay, that thought for a blog post goes into the queue. It really deserves a longer answer than just a comment or two.

David.. says:

Thanks for sharing, Linda.
    It makes me think we could say there is energetic literacy where we get to know progressively subtler energetic mechanics.

And then there is what might be called causal literacy, where the mechanics of what arises become known. A distinct form of subtle perception.

Why are the chakra databanks tubes? Why did a I choose those parents or partners?

David.. says:

I reached a point in my life where it wasn’t making any sense. I was trying to support a family and the work I could find seemed so unsuitable and harsh. And then very gradually, some past life memories started to arise. Unclear and uncertain at first,but then they filled out a bit more. Suddenly, these aspects of my life started making perfect sense. And when that history was resolved, it was no longer necessary to have those experiences.

David.. says:

It highlighted the value of resolving our past. And with some of the skills Rose teaches, we can resolve that energy without living it out sometimes. Simply dissolving or resolving it in consciousness.

Some still tends to have some momentum to complete in our lives, but its an important aspect of why we’re here in Earth School.

DAVID, the sequence you just noted in Comment 20 is — to me — the exception that proves the rule.

What is that rule?

A reading is not a healing. That includes one’s own recollection of something that happened in this life or a past lifetime.

Definitely such an insight can be soothing, inspiring, meaningful…. Just not necessarily healing.

David.. says:

This is not to say past lives are the solution to our problems. But understanding our history can help some people. And clearing the energy baggage or Stuff can help everyone.

And remember it’s the past. We can learn from our history but the past belongs in the past.

In this case, though, DAVID, there is a rather important factor that you modestly left out. It’s very relevant to your example.

You were a flaming, gloriously Enlightened guy!

From my perspective, on reaching Enlightenment, all one’s STUFF gets knocked down to zero on the Yuckiness Index.

There still can be room for improvement via Rosetree Energy Spirituality.

* Empath Empowerment skills, for instance. To improve quality of life.
    * Aura Reading Through All Your Senses, to bring energetic literacy — which, of course, does not happen with Enlightenment. No more than automatically cognizing how to fly an airplane or weed a garden.

David.. says:

Oh, and Linda – compassion for yourself. That is such a big one.

In the Ho’oponopono workshop, most people were working to forgive others. Coming to the place where you can forgive yourself – that’s the core of it.

What about aura healing and transformation for someone in Enlightenment?

Vibrational Re-Positioning techniques have been helpful to some of my clients who are Enlightened.

And for you, with no significant STUFF in the way, sure! Insight or knowledge about your experiences as a soul could result in quick changes to belief, behavior, etc.

That’s because of lack of STUFF in your way. Otherwise, DAVID, you would have suffered the plight of many a perceptive person… bent on self-analysis and psychological “Working on my issues.”

Julie says:

Inspiring post, Rose! Thank you. I had in my 20’s a time of very big forgiveness, where I realized that my father wasn’t responsible for meeting my expectations, or society’s expectations, of how a father should be. He didn’t sign up for that.

He did sign up to be a father, to use his free will, to explore things that he wanted to explore, and to work on some things that were clearly issues. But any feeling on my part that he should have been other than he was, was just my expectation and not a terribly fair one.

Julie says:

It was a big reversal, where suddenly it came home to me that I can’t rely on other people to be the perfect anything – the perfect father, the perfect mother, the perfect anything. I had this ideal in my head of devotion, of love at its best, and someone looking out for me in all situations.

Julie says:

Like the lyrics of a Cyndi Lauper song, called “Time After Time”. She sings “If you’re lost, you can look- and you will find me/Time after time. If you fall, I will catch you – I’ll be waiting/Time after time”.

It’s the sweetest song, and it came to me so clearly that only I can be there for myself time after time. It’s really not anybody’s else’s responsibility. I can do that, for myself. I can be there, for myself. That devotion can start with me and be there with me. And let other people do what they may.

Julie says:

Some people will be able, and available, to care for me, to give to me, to pay attention to me, to meet my needs. And others won’t. Or maybe in limited fashion.

But either way, it’s not their responsibility or burden to do that. If the commitment is there on my part, to take care of myself, then it’s icing on the cake when somebody else also cares for me. It’s extra, not required.

What results from that kind of introspection today, living as we do, after The Shift into The Age of Energy?

Prolonged introspection does NOT result in significant changes to life. Insights, wonderful though they are, do not set in motion any significant aura-level, subconscious-level, energy healing. There is no removal of STUFF followed by energetic PUT-IN that serves the life better.

Nope. Ironically, for 9 times out of 10, the result of prolonged self-inspection is Spiritual Addiction.

This is very evident to me because, two days in a row, I had a wonderful new client where the healing centerpiece for our session of aura healing involved dismantling spiritual addiction.

Both JOE and GLADYS had been doing just exactly that, prolonged and introspective working on their issues.

David.. says:

You’re right, Rose. Getting a past life reading is not a healing even if it can be insightful. If it makes something conscious that can then be resolved, some healing may occur.

But when it’s a direct memory, it can be much more cathartic.

But yeah, an exception. Most people discover their history through readings. Partly why I don’t use myself as an example much. (laughs)

David.. says:

Well – the time I described I wasn’t there yet. I lived a kind of “close but no cigar” thing for a number of years. So some features normally associated with enlightenment came on early. Another one of those exception things… (laughs)

But you’re right. Skilled enlightenment is a whole other level.

Those comments, JULIE, wow! Pure gold!!!

David.. says:

And yes, I’m an introspective person. I’m lucky not to have gotten caught in that too deeply – good reminder. Life also took a hand in pushing me out of that by more challenging life experiences.

Your experience as a teacher really shows. Putting the black sheep in perspective. (laughs)

DAVID, yeah, you’re a terrible example. 😉

(Until collective conscious moves forward a chunk. So that, then, you and JULIE and others in Enlightenment are just normal, average people.)

Julie says:

Thanks, Rose! It really was a big shift away from lamenting what I didn’t have, to realizing what I could give to myself.

Me, normal? Maybe a bit more normal… 😉

Now this next comment may seem weird. It’s intended for any of you Blog-Buddies who may have felt angry at reading Comments 27 to 29, or ideas in my Father’s Day post like #4.

It used to happen to me pretty regularly that I would read ideas like these, good-sounding ideas. Only I would feel sickish inside. Or resentful. etc.

Well, in case that happens to you, that’s just STUFF. And there’s no need to blame yourself for having reactions like these until that STUFF is gone.

So my advice? Trust that ideas like these stink. For you. For now.

That’s fine. Ideas or tips are like shoes. Just wear what fits. You are the one who matters.

Julie says:

I agree with comment #39. Everyone’s experience is so different. I totally see the opposite viewpoint or viewpoints and value the contrast.

Anything I share is only for that purpose; I in no way prescribe anything for anybody. That would be foolish at best.

I report on my experience, because, you know, it’s all I have:)

Thanks, JULIE. You know, I don’t think many of us would take offence at your words of wisdom.

I just remember RYAN’s comments earlier, and wanted to reach out to anyone who might have that sort of reaction.

Isn’t it amazing how different we are, JULIE? You have a reference point of understanding different viewpoints and ideas. I admire that. MITCH, who makes my appointments, has this kind of talent as well. You two might as well come from Neptune, compared to whatever planet I’m from.

My main framework for learning has been emotional pain. Oh, about a zillion versions of guilt and shame and self-loathing and blaming, blah-blah-blah. I can see (and have probably experienced) the side of every emotional story.

Pretty funny by now! I hope it does help me to serve with emotional healing, because it has been such an extensive education, I’d hate for it to go to waste. 😉

David.. says:

For myself, I quite enjoyed Julie’s comments. She reminded me I once had a perfectionism streak and no one, even myself, could ever meet that standard. Talk about being hard on yourself.

But there is a pretty standard process we go through. When we’re young our parents are like gods. So we’re bound to be disappointed as we become our own beings. Then gather some experiences from other families. And become teens.

And certainly some parents fail themselves and thus their children, making this much more harsh.

David.. says:

But do we come to terms with what it is to be human? Or do we carry their burden forward into the next generation? Now it’s our responsibility. Do we heal it or continue to carry it?

This becomes more clear when be become parents ourselves.

We’re not going to find forgiveness for ourselves until we forgive those who have “trespassed against us”. As Rose notes, this is not condoning their behavior. It’s letting go of the charge so it no longer binds us. Or us to them.

PS – I’m the one from Neptune. 😉

David.. says:

(I’m Pisces and Neptune is conjunct the ascendant)

Julie says:

Yes, it’s a rare day, Rose, when I don’t see virtually every opinion or response on the spectrum. I can identify with so much.

It’s one of the reasons I love to read book reviews. Everybody reads the same book and comes away with something different.

The variety is pretty astonishing to me, and I really enjoy that.

And you – with the emotional spectrum – wow!! Not only has the experience served you, it’s made you this incredible healer.

That’s a pretty big “Wow”, in my opinion.

Hi David,

I think that’s part of what I was getting at, is perfectionism. Somehow I’ve always felt the divine love, that Rose describes so well in her last section of the post. And maybe I hoped, or expected, that human love would be just like that.

And with some people it approximates that, or at least there are times when relationships can be quite exquisite, whether with family of birth or family or choice or family wherever it can be found.

Hi David,

About expectations and whether they are realistic – I dated a guy for a long time, and one of the questions he asked me early on was what my expectations were for the relationship.

And I was all of 21 years old, and my honest answer was “That we will always be happy to see each other, whenever we are together”.

His response, after thoughtfully considering this, was “Do you think that’s realistic?” “That we will always be happy to see each other?”

It was well worth asking.

In a fairy tale, or in heaven, or in a romantic poem, that might be a fair expectation. But while here, on earth?

I had to reconsider (laughter).

JULIE, that particular wish isn’t so unrealistic. Happy just to see each other?

That’s how it has been with my husband, my son. MITCH has been my friend since 1975, and we married in 1990.

Sometimes we do have relationships that are graced in that way. Granted, I don’t think they come on demand.

It wasn’t that way with my Husband 2, a.k.a. Ex-Husband #2.

Always happy to see him? It pretty much was that way with Husband #1, on reflection, even though that marriage definitely didn’t work out.

So let’s take a survey, Blog-Buddies. Can you think of a relationship you have had with someone where you were always quite happy to see that person?

Julie says:

Good point about some relationships being graced, Rose. I have had a few like that, with a really big divine blessing and an internal joy to see that person, whenever I had the luck to spend time with them.

Julie says:

I suppose it was the word “always” that brought in a note of unrealism. As in, never unhappy, never in a bad mood, never having a fight.

Or as in getting home from work and being tired, and maybe wishing you were happier to see the other person, but feeling “I’m so tired!”

Julie says:

I’m reminded of something Rose said to me once, about how a person can be part of your life contract, but not necessarily bring you a lot of joy.

If there’s karma to be worked out, and maybe it’s in the first 28 years of life, the tone of a relationship might not feel like joy, or happiness to see each other all the time.

Karma, in some cases, feeling like “being in school”.

David.. says:

I would suggest there’s an important detail that has to be noted here about relationships. Happiness and love come from inside us, not from others. As long as we’re seeking love “out there”, we’ll be disappointed. Other will always fail us.

However, if we’re Stuff-free enough for what it is within to shine forth, us Householders will instead seek someone to give to, to share that with. Then that person of devotion (upaguru in Sanskrit) will be our means of increasing love and happiness. So we’ll pretty much (still human) always be happy to see them. And the love will grow and deepen over time.

David.. says:

Why do we look for it out there? This is partly because we’re not finding it in here. Partly because we were born to a mother who we soon discovered was other than self. And partly because we all still have deep memories of a time when love surrounded us. It was everywhere.

We’ve all had relationships that really worked at some point. And in the deep past, we had relationships that were profoundly closer than what’s possible in todays Earth School. But that’s slowly coming back.

David.. says:

To the quiz – yes. But it’s preferable if the feeling is mutual. (laughs)

Emily says:

To the quiz: I have one old school friend who I am always happy to see and I have one work friend who makes my day just by stopping at my desk. I’m also happy to see my boyfriend everyday, even though we see each other all day every day anyway (we work in the same office together!) I feel very lucky!

Emily says:

David, yes I think my old school friend has not always been ecstatic to see me however!

Emily says:

Julie I love your description of karma being “like being in school”. That really tickles me. How I hated school. The never ending, no choice in the matter, when will it end! When I was 8-14 I repeatedly tried to convince my parents I could homeschool myself. I also told everyone who would listen that I of course would give my own children a school free childhood LOL.

Jeanne says:

I really love all of the comments in this thread. It makes me very happy to read them.

Especially Julie’s comments 27-29. Those comments would not always have resonated with me.

But I’ve noticed a big shift in myself lately. I am finding myself strangely grateful for all of the challenges in my life, past and present. They have helped me grow so much!

Not something to resent, or wish it was otherwise. I think I had a lot of shame about that, as if any challenge was my fault. But that is gone now, shed like an old skin.

Seems to be part of liking me, which is something I am learning from “The Empowered Empath.”

I don’t think I’ve ever liked myself more than I do right now. At least not in this life. 🙂

And I am very grateful for my father, too. He is far from a model father. And I resented that for a long, long time. But oh, I have learned so much having had him as a father. He’s been a very special part of my schooling experience.

EMILY, how wonderful. Especially about that boyfriend. You’ve come a long way. 🙂

Madeline says:

Such an amazing post and comments. I learned so much.
    David your comment #9 was so interesting to me about how your life contract is reflected in every aspect of your being, and Julie I Loved your comments about being there for yourself and not expecting others to fill all your needs perfectly.
    And I am always always happy to see Isabella!!, lol.

Zelda says:

I’ve really enjoyed this conversation. Lots of wisdom!

The situation with my father was definitely one of those big Earth School lessons. What better way to learn to be independent and to “father” myself than to have him disappear shortly after I was born?

It took me till my 30s to get the courage to ask my mother about this mysterious, taboo figure.

Of course, the biggest boost in my growth in relation to him was when Rose cut my cord to him. A doozy!

Zelda says:

Some of my bigger Earth School lessons have had a flare of absurdity to them that I don’t think I’d be able to make up. Like lessons from my father.

A few years back, in the throes of Virtual Reincarnation, I was wrapping up matters related to my mother’s estate when a letter appeared out of the blue from the “indigent burial coordinator” in a government office. If I knew the man listed (having my father’s name), I was to contact them immediately.

I called and was told that if this man was my father, even if I had an “estrangled” (her word, exactly!)relationship with him, I had to pay for his burial because he was dead and no one had claimed his body.

It took a bit of bureaucratic cat and mouse games to resolve the situation.

What a lesson, though, from him about compassion and also how to live my life.

Julie says:

I liked some parts of school, Emily, but other parts sure were onerous!

Julie says:

Lovely comment 54, David. With less stuff, the possibilities for joy are greater, whether just being ourselves, or in relationship with others.

Upaguru, person of devotion – I like that.

Julie says:

Such a touching comment 60, Jeanne. Wow. The gratitude really comes through.

Thanks, Madeline.

Julie says:

Independence was a major life lesson for me as well. Something I’ve been grateful for, that abiity to make my own decisions and go my own way as necessary. There’s a lot to be said for self-reliance and resourcefulness.

Kira says:

There are so many really cool comments here!

For the quiz, yes, I have a relationship with someone I’m always happy to see. She was one of my teachers in school and we’ve stayed in touch. That relationship is almost certainly the reason I’m still alive.

Kira says:

I love both my parents, but I was very much Daddy’s girl growing up. I was convinced that Dad knew absolutely everything. (He was a history professor.)

Despite that, even when I was pretty young, I had an intense wish to find out I had been adopted so I could find my “real parents,” and I felt very guilty about that because my parents are good people and didn’t seem to be doing anything particularly wrong.

Kira says:

I discovered over the years that 1) they’re close to or actually exact opposites to me in Myers-Briggs personality type (as is my husband), 2) they’re not highly sensitive and I am, and 3) I’m an empath. They’ve always treated me the way they would like to be treated themselves. It turns out that it wasn’t the way I would have liked to have been treated. They tried to soothe my emotions with logic more often than not and none of us understood why I didn’t feel better.

My teacher friend listened to me without trying to solve anything and trusted me to make my own decisions. I’m convinced we planned that, that she would be there to help me when I would desperately need it.