Quirky Inspiration for Empaths

Empathic experience without torment -- that's Empath Empowerment(R), agony strictly optional

Empathic experience without torment — that’s Empath Empowerment(R), agony strictly optional

Straight from today’s Washington Post, Outlook Section, come two quirky kinds of inspiration for us empaths.

Because sometimes you don’t appreciate how far you have come in Empath Empowerment until you read such things.

Congratulations if you are a Highly, Highly Sensitive Person

All empaths are HSPs, after all. However, it doesn’t work in the opposite direction. Every Highly Sensitive Person, or HSP, is not necessarily an empath: Just 1 out of 4 HSPS is a Highly, Highly Sensitive Person and, one way or another, possesses lifelong empath circuitry.

Mainstream society in America (and many other lands) still is learning that sensitivity of any kind can be a good thing.

Witness a front-page story in the editorial section of the Sunday paper, describing apologies that are really non-apologies.

Here’s the start of the satire: “If this article offends you, I’m sorry.

Translation: “I’m sorry you are so sensitive.”

If you’re reading this blog and have ever, ever succumbed to this kind of malarkey, whereby you are blamed for being “too sensitive” or weak or otherwise not mature enough to handle real life — ridiculous! Thereby letting someone else get away with offensive behavior. Get yourself some Empath Empowerment, for crying out loud!

As for this common propaganda that equates sensitivity with weakness? Don’t believe a word.

Sensitivity is not a curse. Empath talent is not a curse. What’s required is strength to support the sensitivity. For empaths, dedicated empath skills are required, too. Otherwise you risk Imported STUFF.

So, empaths of the world, be inspired yet again! The more you know about Empath Empowerment(R), and honoring your delightful sensitivity, the easier it will become for you to see through false, fake, unrepentant, nasty apology strategies.

Yeah, team Empath! Yeah, Team HSP!

And, okay, there’s more, empaths. Can you stand a bit more inspiration?

Lavish praise for sanctified, suffering-type “empathy.”

A new book of essays has been getting a lot of buzz. Maybe you have heard about “The Empathy Exams.” In today’s same Outlook section of the Washington Post, there’s a review. And from that review, a quote:

“Narcissism is not a complaint that could be leveled at Leslie Jamison. In fact, her lush, erudite collection, “The Empathy Exams,” which won the Graywolf Press Nonfiction Prize, is precisely about searching for sympathy with and understanding of others, struggling to see the world through a lens less narrow than the self. Although Jamison figures as a character in each essay, they aren’t about her solely but instead turn almost journalistic subjects — visiting a prison in West Virginia, reporting from a marathon on Tennessee terrain so punishing that its motto is “The Race That Eats Its Young” — into occasions for lyrical reflection. As she contends, “You’re just a tourist inside someone else’s suffering until you can’t get it out of your head,” so her goal is to make the on-the-edge, often bizarre characters and situations she explores as visceral as possible.”

Isn’t that sweet? Are you drooling yet with delight?

Supposedly this exaggerated empathy is wonderful. So different from being a nasty narcissist.

This exercise in empathy as extreme sport is supposed to be a good thing? Really, supposed to help people, this struggling to immerse self so thoroughly into another person’s intense suffering?

Time to speak up, if you value empathic anything that is healthy!

This suffering-saint version of “empathy” is being touted as praiseworthy why, exactly? Or useful, how, exactly?

Puh-leeze. I’m all for doctors and other professionals showing more human feeling. But this professional at energy spirituality doesn’t just wallow in other people’s misery. Like any professionally trained practitioner in Rosetree Energy Spirituality, I use my empath skills and healing skills purposely, safely, prudently, effectively.

Visitations like these attributed to Jamison don’t help ANYONE. Nor does sanctimony around taking these trips.

“Lyrical reflection”? Ooooh, how delightful to wallowers and sentimentalists everywhere!

Spread the word, skilled empaths. This sticky, icky, drippy version of empath experience is yet one more way to wallow. It has zero to do with being a skilled empath. Or truly helping anyone, save those who prefer the company of fellow wallowers.

Granted, that word “empath” was not mentioned in the review. Maybe it is never discussed even once in the book. Undoubtedly Leslie Jamison means well. And let’s not forget for a second that she is impressively erudite!

However, the misconception is huge in collective consciousness that, somehow feeling another person’s feelings is what special people do, and it’s oh-so-helpful.

Even with oneness gifts as an empath, doing turbo-charged techniques for Skilled Empath Merge, it’s never, ever about this kind of mess. Yes, please spread some words of sanity on topics like empath and empathy!

Sometimes there’s a short distance to travel between annoyance (at hogwash) and inspiration (to educate, to inform, and especially to help the 1 in 20 people who have been born as empaths).

By now I’m giggling at the bathos. And recharged, re-inspired. Yes, Blog-Buddies, time to reach out anew!

P.S. about The Empowered Empath

For those of you following the publication saga, The Empowered Empath has just been edited one final, final time. This is being updated at Nook, for those who wish to purchase it — not just to view on Nook but also for use on your computer or phone. Details on how to do all leading-edge empath skill-gathering this are here.

The manuscript has just been sent to the formatting wizard to prepare  it for print-on-demand and Kindle editions. Yes, progress is… progressing.

Meanwhile, you can still become a skilled empath by reading this easy-as-eating-pie how-to book for Empath Empowerment: Become The Most Important Person  in the Room. (Hint: This is not for narcissists. More for the meek who are ready to inherit the earth!)

Zelda says:

I really enjoyed your post, Rose.

I think I’ll pass on Ms. Jamison’s book. 🙂

I’ve finished The Empowered Empath and am into The Master Empath. These are brilliant books, Rose!

You have discovered so many powerful analogies to make the various points in each book.

The other day the experience of reading these books and understanding certain interactions from my past reminded me of the experience I had years ago watching the DVD version of The Sixth Sense.

One of the cool special features on the DVD was a section that showed and explained (spoiler alert!) each instance in which Bruce Willis appeared and we, the viewers, believe that he’s alive.

Once the narrator points out the subtleties in each scene that show how it could have been entirely possible for him to be dead (well, within that world, anyway) it all made sense.

I have been reminded time and again while reading both books of cringe-worthy situations that now make much more sense to me. I was an unskilled empath. It is a relief to let go of any lingering angst about those days.

I remember being stupefied by my outburst years ago in a particularly awful employee training session. I suddenly found myself saying out loud, “This is B.S!”

Now I know that this is basically what everyone in the room was thinking and repressing and unskilled empath me blurted it out.

Maria says:

ROSE,

What kind of empaths are SHAMANS?

ZELDA, thank you so much.

I did all I could to build levels of depth and instruction into The Empowered Empath and The Master Empath.

It’s a big deal to me that a superb student and skilled empath like you could find more in this book.

And I did love The Sixth Sense, BTW. Isn’t it enjoyable when you can find DVD extras that tell you how and why, the innards of a great movie.

In a way, that’s what this blog, and all my work, are about.

MARIA, every empath has at least one lifelong gift for directly experiencing what it is to be somebody else.

A shaman is someone who has taken a particular kind of training, specializing in astral (a.k.a. psychic) – level work.

Training is training, like being a golfer or an optician. A lifelong gift is like the natural color of your eyes, whether you are right-handed or left-handed or ambidextrous.

Make sense?

The other point, MARIA, is this. If you are interested in studying shamanic practices and you were born as an empath, it will be really important to first gain the skills of Empath Empowerment(R).

Otherwise you will be taking on extra Imported STUFF. Just because someone teaches a course on shamanic work doesn’t mean that teacher is also an expert on skills for empaths.

Since beginning professional work as an empath coach (more than 15 years ago) I have found repeatedly that empaths really can mess themselves up by studying shamanic work, spiritualism, channeling, mediumship, or other astral-related arts… just because they are empaths.

Empaths are impacted differently than non-empaths by studying anything with a strong astral component.

Maria says:

ROSE,

Thank you.

Yes, it makes perfect sense.

I just find it ironic that empaths
    can hurt themselves studying these
    kinds of thing when the things
    themselves require all kinds of
    empathy in the first place.

And if they wanted to pursue this
    kind of work, wouldn’t practicing
    Spiritual Protection make it possible?

MARIA, it’s good you are thinking about such things because many people have a big old mush around spiritual anything.

Regarding this, “I just find it ironic that empaths
    can hurt themselves studying these kinds of thing when the things themselves require all kinds of
    empathy in the first place.”

Well, not necessarily. To study shamanic healing means to gain a set of skills. Many shamanic healers are not empaths.

The only people in the occupation called “Being a skilled empath” are people who have studied Empath Empowerment (or the equivalent).

Furthermore, Deeper Perception (such as I teach here) is extremely different from shamanic practices, paranormal practices, or psychic practices.

And you can study what I offer here, and through my books, without being an empath.

Except that “Become The Most Important Person in the Room” and “The Empowered Empath” and “The Master Empath” are for empaths…

As for “Use Your Power of Command for Spiritual Cleansing and Protection,” MARIA, that book teaches certain specific skills.

When you learn them, you receive huge help in life.

You do not gain access to Santa’s sleigh full of toys, nor do you now have protection from every bad thing that could happen in life. Nor do you have skills of Empath Empowerment(R).

Taking time to sort out “these kinds of thing” is a step in the direction of being practical and sensible. Many people assume, or expect, one magical solution to all problems. Don’t, please.

Maria says:

ROSE,

Thank you SO much for breaking it down
    for me. I am reading several of your books
    at once so I tend to go off in different
    directions like a hyper puppy. 🙂

I assumed that being a shaman meant that
    the person was automatically empathic.

I’m not interested in doing this, but I
    have met with shamans and it’s fascinating
    to see how they do their thing.

I’m more interested in setting limits
    on my empathy through Spiritual Protection
    because it’s so exhausting going through
    life feeling the pain of others.

Thanks again, ROSE!

Zelda says:

Gee, thanks, Rose. 🙂

While I am gaining a deeper understanding of the techniques and some, so far, are new to me, it’s the sense of validation, for lack of a better word, that is so valuable.

Maybe other blog-buddies have had a similar experience of wondering why it seemed to be so difficult to just have a life, along with being bombarded by the STUFF of so many others and thinking it was all me.

I often felt quite alone in that place and, in retrospect, gave myself a hard time about it.

As Oprah often says, quoting Maya Angelou, “When you know better, you do better.” So true.

And so powerful to know that others have had similar experiences.

I can leave all that behind now and continue my focus on having a life and exploring the coolness of being an empath.

Hi Zelda
    Yep “so difficult to just have a life” and “bombarded” are great ways to describe it. For myself, I then learned meditation which made a huge difference in helping me clear the daily baggage collection.

But that didn’t make it skilled – just improved processing. Faster hard way. Studying Empath Empowerment has been a revelation.

David.. says:

One of the fascinating things about the dawning age we’re in is that new laws of nature are awakening from dormancy. This means new (in recent times) abilities or gifts are awake and can be discovered.

I don’t mean just individually but in the whole.

The second stage of this is when those new laws begin to form relationships. This opens up flows and a synthesis that creates what might be called meta-gifts. What Buckminster Fuller called Synergetics: “total system behavior unpredicted by the behavior of any isolated components”, a whole greater than the sum of the parts.

Kira says:

I think perhaps books like “The Empathy Exams” are meant for non-empaths. I have spent a bit of time over the years trying to explain to various people why someone else was hurt by their actions or remarks. (I’ve also found myself occasionally trying to “translate” a point someone was trying to make that someone else just didn’t seem to understand.) Makes me think that there are people out there who really do need to read a book like this to understand how different other people’s inner lives can be.

KIRA, that’s a compassionate perspective.

Personally, I’m skeptical that telling someone about dramatic and freakishly extreme suffering opens up an insensitive person to greater sensitivity. That’s more for “entertainment” of a certain kind. Like the old-fashioned freak shows that used to be part of the circus.

If education in Emotional IQ is to work, the kind you report that you have been doing.. surely that would help more. It’s specific. It’s about real-life human situations. It’s a direct communication in an appropriate context.

Yet you might drop the education after an example or two. What would happen if, instead, you stopped volunteering in this way? What if, instead, you communicated, what would (specifically) constitute good manners or more acceptable behavior?

Teri says:

Zelda,
    In response to comment #12. I can understand completely what you are talking about. My entire life I have felt “different”. I always thought something was wrong with me and as I grew older believed that I was most likely mentally ill. I never thought that there were other people that had similar experiences.

It is nice to read posts from others who have been there and moved beyond. It gives me hope.

Kira says:

Rose, I don’t find myself trying to explain other people any more–partly because I no longer hurt for them, and partly because with social media, most of them are speaking up for themselves these days.

But often, what would prompt me to do it was that the offending person just couldn’t seem to understand what the big deal was about something that to him/her seemed normal, until I gave a graphic example.

I’m not actually sure what constitutes good manners, precisely. My mother’s family was always hung up on manners for their own sake; they followed the “letter of the law” rather than the spirit. I rebelled against meaningless manners because I could tell the difference.

I should probably add that as a social outcast in middle and high school, I felt on shaky ground in trying to convince anybody of anything because I always felt on the verge of being shunned. (It was more often perception than reality after high school.) Somehow, explaining something the way I would have felt it seemed less threatening than sounding as if I knew what I was talking about when it came to manners (had that even occurred to me).

I will keep that in the back of my mind and hopefully remember it if such a situation does come up for me again!

Zelda says:

Kira, your comment #15 brought to mind what I consider one of my great life lessons in my at times extremely challenging syllabus here at Earth School.

Rose writes of the statistics on our minority status as empaths. An important aspect in my evolution has been grasping the reality that goes along with that minority status — that most other people aren’t wired like me!

I suffered one figurative bloody nose after another because I simply could not believe that Joe or Gladys could possibly do or say offending action or comment X, Y, or Z. How could they be so insensitive!! Well, actually, quite easily.

One character in my challenging syllabus was a brother with psychopathic tendencies. He absolutely did not care what impact he had on anyone around him. I have tales that would curl anyone’s hair.

After getting chewed up enough, I came to a rather freeing realization — that there are loads of people who really do not care what the impact is of their words and actions on others. Further, they are not interested in being educated on this topic.

I shifted my attention from being aghast at the behavior to simply taking care of myself and dropping any interest in that kind of educational work or any expectation that it was wanted. — by anyone.

I sure enjoy life more and am much more skilled at navigating the occasional really insensitive person I encounter.

Zelda says:

Teri, I enjoyed your comment 17.

There is most definitely hope! Taking advantage of the opportunities to learn skills from Rose and to have sessions will most certainly help.

Since learning how to cut cords of attachment, I have cut 244 cords and consider this a vital skill.

Energy hygiene is as important to me as dental hygiene. I regularly use Spiritual Cleansing techniques.

All of the various skills and ways to remove STUFF have made it easier to actually know who I am. I am no longer victimized by my empath gifts.

I recommend consistently keeping at it all, in one way or another, in whatever way is possible. This has helped me the most. It has probably been 6 years now since I first encountered Rose’s work and I have kept chipping away at removing STUFF, going after Soul Thrill, and developing skills.

Jeanne says:

Zelda, your comment 19.

All I can say is wow, wow, wow.

I am in the midst of coming to the same “freeing realization” that you so effortlessly and powerfully describe: “that there are loads of people who really do not care what the impact is of their words and actions on others. Further, they are not interested in being educated on this topic.”

To which I would add: these same people also care not at all whether I bend over backwards to take into account the impact of my words and actions on them.

I am somewhat behind your learning curve, as I still find myself slipping into being “aghast” at this behavior. Still, I’m shifting more and more into “taking care of myself and dropping any interest in that kind of educational work or any expectation that it was wanted.” Empath empowerment is pretty awesome that way.

Such a yummy and delightful place to be. Bravo to you for capturing it so eloquently.

Kira says:

Zelda, in response to your comment 19, I’m probably not that different from you by this point.

I got the idea to do it in the first place from a fellow third-grader who chastised me for making fun of a boy in our class. Despite my sensitivity, I can be extremely oblivious sometimes! It never occurred to me until then how he would feel if he heard us talking about him like that.

(I think it’s the combination of both intellectual and emotional empath gifts; the intellectual aspect allowed me to think like the people around me who weren’t particularly sensitive.)

So part of it was not yet realizing that there are, in fact, people who don’t care at all, and part of it was personal experience of learning something by having someone point someone else’s potential feelings out to me. I got better as time went on at being able to tell when someone was uninterested as opposed to truly clueless, but (like you) I eventually stopped doing it.

Kira says:

David, I’m curious about your comment 13 (my lucky number!).

I know that by the time I read “Become the Most Important Person in the Room,” I had certain things down already. For example, I’ve had an instinctive aversion to looking people in the eyes if there was any chance they would look back since at least high school and probably middle school; I was afraid they would see all my inner turmoil.

But I also was over several other consequences of unskilled empath merges that could be felt consciously (but presumably still gathering imported STUFF), and I don’t have a good explanation for how that happened. I joined a meditation group, but it’s a guided meditation group, so not the same thing as what you do since it’s really hypnosis. And I learned shamanic journeying, which is astral in nature.

I’m curious in an intellectual way about the different paths, and also find it interesting that both paths helped with management even though they’re really not the best way to get there.

I also find it hard to tell if I’m making progress at turning my gifts off when I no longer have obvious consequences to notice a lack of. Everything is so much more subtle.

Kira says:

Oh, yeah, my final point was another attempt to explain what I think could be happening with “The Empathy Exams”.

From the quote by the author, it sounded to me like she is not necessarily highly sensitive herself, and not an empath. She could be a medium-sensitivity person who was pushing herself to understand in trying to explain to others.

In any case, her comment makes it sound as if she is trying to educate others on the inner workings of vastly different fellow humans. I can’t say that I blame her for making the attempt, if that’s what it is, even if it’s misguided. Every time I read those heated comment back-and-forths on any topic, in social media or at blogs (not this one!) or wherever, I can’t help but wish there were some magic way to convince people that other people matter even when they disagree with us.

KIRA, if you are seriously interested in what was going on with you energetically at different experiences, or you wish to receive help at moving forward, might I suggest a session of aura reading research or aura transformation.

Crystal clear information is available, straight from your chakra databanks.

As for fine-tuning your progress as an empath, you can cycle through Become The Most Important Person in the Roomagain and you will go deeper into the experiences.

Or you might wish to become one of the first readers of The Empowered Empath.” There’s a lot of new material never published before for empaths, including both techniques and analysis of different types of unskilled empath merge.

Hi Kira
    In the early days of mathematics, they also studied the power of numbers. It has been said that 13 was found to be a number of great power. To protect people or to reserve it for themselves, the story was told of it being “unlucky”.

I was surprised by a recent visit to a new ritzy apt tower. Not only no 13th floor, but no 4th or 14th, etc. Of course, not giving it the number doesn’t avoid it being that number… (laughs)

David.. says:

And yes – I had long avoided eye contact also. But I hadn’t been conscious why until more recently. For me it wasn’t being seen so much as it was seeing. But I also practiced not being seen as well, just as Rose described it. That was certainly a revelation, reading Become the Most Important. Explained so much of my youth. In my 20’s I discovered I could “tune in” to people and similarly was appalled at the drama most lived in.

Everything we do can help some. It’s just that there are some tools that are more direct and effective. We can release some Stuff by taking a holiday or a soak in the tub, for example. But as its not resolving the collection, the effect doesn’t last.

David.. says:

I was lucky to find an effective clearing technique early on. Didn’t help me with empath skills, but did help with handling the side effects of being unskilled. The ideal is of course both.

The challenge I have now with learning “Off” for a couple of the gifts is fine discrimination. I am and contain everything. That can’t be turned off. But oneness and empath gifts function on different levels so the trick is in distinguishing them.

It would have been simpler to become skilled prior but I didn’t discover Rose until after.

I’m sure everyone has slightly different ways of being with their gifts that add an extra layer to becoming skilled.

David.. says:

Maybe one day Rose will write a children’s empath book so we can get started skilled. 😉

Meantime I’m looking forward to reading her latest editions of Empowered Empath. Just finishing Power of Command.

Jeanne says:

Regarding Kira’s comment 23 and David’s comment 28. It’s interesting to me that you both had an aversion to eye contact.

I’ve had the opposite problem. I’ve always sought out eye contact. Like some deep longing for connectedness. This includes seeking eye contact with random strangers in public places.

People notice. And they don’t like it. Not exactly a way to win friends and influence people!

I did not recognize this problem until I read “Become the Most Important Person in the Room.” The technique for minimizing eye contact was very, very hard for me to do it first. It felt very lonely.

This has gotten easier, with time. The Coming Home technique in “The Empowered Empath” has helped a lot.

JEANNE, it makes sense to me that the “Coming Home” technique in “The Empowered Empath” would help…

Because as that book explains — for the first time anywhere, I think, by any empath coach — there are two types of unskilled empath merge.

“Split-Split-Second Empath Merge” is the more common variety, happening so many times each day.

In “Become The Most Important Person in the Room,” this type of unskilled empath merge is described in detail.

There are even illustrations.

Plus, of course, that entire “30-Day Plan for Empath Empowerment” is designed to prevent all unskilled empath merges.

A second type of unskilled empath merge is a Prolonged Unskilled Empath Merge.

This often involves staring at another person’s eyes.

One of the exciting things to me about bringing the two latest books into the world, for self-study and self-healing in the field of Empath Empowerment(R)…

is how helpful it can be to receive validation for a semi-conscious, but still very unskilled, form of empath merge.

Prolonged Empath Merge, like Split-Split-Second Empath Merge, inevitably deposits Imported STUFF in a person’s aura and subconscious mind. Preventing Imported STUFF, also healing it, makes such a difference for quality of life for us born empaths.

David.. says:

Thanks for that, Rose. Would you say the difference in styles is due to the type of empath gifts or if a person is introvert or extrovert?

Amanda says:

Hi David, re Comment 27.

I have an idea that in Cantonese the number ‘four’ sounds like the word for ‘death’ and therefore 4, 14 etc don’t exist in apartment blocks as nobody wants to live on the ‘death’ or even ‘death by twenty’ floors.

Perhaps the builders had that in mind?

🙂

Amanda

Jeanne says:

David, speaking for myself, I am very much an introvert — an extreme I on the Myers-Briggs test.

Yet I’ve long had a visual fascination with other people. I really like to stare. Like a toddler!

I have a long history of doing this. Often I’ve tried to be sneaky and avoid eye contact, but people always, always know when they’re being looked at, even from behind.

And it’s only over the last year, through Rose’s work, that I’ve come to notice this, and see how problematic it is. I’ve been a basket-case of Unskilled Empath Merges. With a long history of imported STUFF to boot. Rose’s books are helping me clean up my unskilled act. 🙂

Jeanne says:

I’m also noticing that most people don’t do this secret staring thing. Somehow, I never noticed it before!

And I always sensed that my staring at other people made them feel icky. (There’s a reason why this is considered bad manners!) Now, of course, I know that it’s just as icky for me — if not more so.

I’m still sorting through my empath gifts. I think I have a lot, although I feel funny saying so. But I identify with most types of empaths that Rose describes in her books.

I’m having a Day of Mentoring with Rose in a few weeks to develop my empath skills further. I’m excited to learn more!

Amanda
    Yep – that would be it. There are a lot of Asian investors here on the Pacific Rim. Evidently in Hong Kong its the same – and no 40th floors at all. Called tetraphobia.

Jeannie
    MB scores have a tendency to moderate with age. Mine have, but not the N.

I have noticed the staring effect as I’ve unintentionally stared when “reading” someone primitively in the past. Rupert Sheldrake actually did research on the “Sense of Being Stared At” and published a book on that and related subjects.

Regarding your question, DAVID, in Comment 35: Would you say the difference in styles is due to the type of empath gifts or if a person is introvert or extrovert?

All of this and more impacts our styles of behavior at any given time.

The one thing I would add at this time is how Deeper Perception helps us to appreciate far more nuance to what is commonly considered a choice, either introvert or extravert. In so many interesting ways, a person can be either one or the other.

So far, the most I have found time to write about this was in “Wrinkles Are God’s Makeup: How You Can Find Meaning in Your Evolving Face.”

If you happen to have a copy and you want to give your brain a twirl, look in the index. Look up references to facial characteristics related to INTROVERT and also look up EXTRAVERT. There is so much, related to personal style, around these useful concepts. And it even ties into the facial characteristics that we develop.

Zelda says:

Funny you should mention this, Rose. I had an interesting experience this week that had introversion and helpful information I learned in the in-person face reading session you did for me and thought I’d write about it.

[Blog-Monitor note: The rest of this comment is becoming a guest post. Check back later on Monday, June 30 for the juicy details of ZELDA’s guest post.]

Hi Rose
    Thanks – I found a copy of your out of print book used so I’ll check that out.

My Rose library… 😉

Kira says:

So much to comment on, so little time…

Rose, re comments 25 and 26:

That next session is still very much on my list, but I still won’t have time until after my trip to France at the beginning of August.

And I’m partway thru The Empowered Empath, but again, going slowly due to time constraints.

Kira says:

David, thanks for comments 27 – 29.

Kira says:

Jeanne, thanks for your observations, too. I also had a habit of staring, for a while, as long as the other person wasn’t looking back.

I also had the distinct impression of feeling like I was studying a different species and trying to figure out their behavior and interaction patterns.

I used to watch a lot of animal shows, and what I was doing felt like what the researchers on the shows were doing. I used to find myself slightly shocked when someone would interact with me while I was watching my classmates (this is when I was in lower school, mostly); I would forget that I was still actually visible.

Kira says:

Jeanne and David, I’m a Myers-Briggs extravert. I was shocked to discover that, too, in my senior year of high school. My reaction to being an outcast had me convinced I was an introvert.

In my sophomore year of college, I took the same test I had taken in high school (it’s a specialized offshoot of the Myers-Briggs test, meant for giving an idea of what kind of professions you might like), and I was an introvert that time.

I eventually took the actual Myers-Briggs test with my husband when he paid for some sort of career evaluation service. I’m an ENFP. (He’s an ISTJ.) I haven’t re-evaluated myself since, so I don’t know if anything has changed recently.

David.. says:

On Myers-Briggs, keep in mind that Introvert and Extrovert mean something slightly different than common usage. In MB, an introvert is someone drained by others and thus needs personal downtime. An extrovert is energized by others and thus prefers face-time.

So an I may seem chatty and friendly socially but they’ll need alone time. An E may be shy but will thrive on being around others.

An unskilled Empath E will have conflicting signals. Desire to be with people but have to clear it all afterwards. The same for an I would tend to exaggerate the I. Generalizations of course, but illustrative.

David.. says:

I’d also note that an official MB test goes into the degree of each, not just the rating.

I once took a test that had adapted MB for entrepreneurial style. That was unexpectedly insightful.

Kira says:

Yes, I don’t remember the exact degree, but I was near the middle on the I-E scale, at least on the first two tests.

Elaine Aron also pointed out that a highly sensitive E would need time alone for processing, and an empath E would fit right into that.

Regarding your treasure hunt, DAVID, in Comment #43, there are still a couple of ways to purchase a copy of “Wrinkles Are God’s Makeup: How You Can Find Meaning in Your Evolving Face.”

The remaining copies, sold new, and available for autographing, are reserved for two groups of people. While the small number of copies still lasts.

If you take my annual Face Reading Workshop, September 20-21, you can purchase a copy there.

Or you can sign up for the Face Reading Secrets(R) Mentoring Program.

You see, I’m saving those copies for serious students of Face Reading Secrets(R).

And you probably got a great deal on your library addition, DAVID, as these remaining copies are each $45.

Hi Rose
    Yes, it was a good price. “New” copies I saw online were from $86 to over twice that. So that’s a nice bonus for the course.

Also saw another book you co-authored: “The Power of Face Reading” Guess that would be the one before the New. 😉

Partly right, DAVID. “The Power of Face Reading” was before “The NEW Power of Face Reading.”

It was not co-authored, exactly. Laughing.

In the metadata for the book, I acknowledged another physiognomist, Narayan Singh Khalsa, Ph.D. He wrote the Foreword, a very small number of pages.

“The Power of Face Reading” was a selection of One Spirit, a division of The Book of the Month Club.
    Authorized, translated editions are available in many languages.

Most exciting about my face reading books in other languages is the Lithuanian edition that will be coming out one of these days.

Just for that special edition, the photo gallery you’re familiar with, at the front of “The NEW Power of Face Reading” is augmented by some zany characters from Lithuania.

References throughout the book are augmented to include references to these Lithuanian faces, and one of these gorgeous people is featured on the cover as well.

Although I have had 40 contracts involving authorized editions of my books, this one is my dream, coming true for the first time. I would like to create custom-designed content for all the non-U.S. publishers who purchase the rights to publish my books in their own culture and language.

Hi Rose
    Ah – I see. Both are mentioned, but I noticed only you are on the cover.

Very exciting. The best I’ve done is the occasional article copied on some other site half way around the world. But no translations. 😉