Why Virtual Reincarnation Matters More to Me than Enlightenment, Concluding

That first incarnation, becoming Rose Rosetree

That first incarnation, becoming Rose Rosetree

My friend Jeffrey Chappell hasn’t changed much since we met in 1983. He was always an angel, or close as a human being could reasonably be to an angel: Kind, loving, wise, funny, talented… it’s a long list of wonderful qualities.

True, Jeffrey did change in one major way. He moved into Enlightenment. That has been a huge change, yet he must have been born quite close. My friend found a meditation technique that helped move him into Enlightenment, and he does that technique still; he has been with his spouse for decades, worked in the same career, been basically the same guy. What a lifetime!

Long as I’ve known him, Jeffrey Chappell was suave and presented himself beautifully to others; always he seemed at peace within himself.

By contrast, I’m close to unrecognizable from when we first became friends in 1982. By now, I’m even harder to identify as the young woman pictured at the top of today’s article. Back in college, when this photo was taken, I was visibly neurotic. Not like Woody Allen, whom I’d call self-consciously neurotic, almost like a form of performance art. More like I was mired in misery to such a degree that it showed to even the most casual observer.

From my high school years onward, I’ve done all I could to evolve. Really, if you had been me, you would have been just as motivated. STUFF didn’t just make me inwardly miserable much of the time. It showed; that STUFF showed so clearly to others.

Now here’s one compliment that gave me hope, back in 1973. With my first husband, Donald, I had founded the first physical center for teaching Transcendental Meditation in Miami, Florida. A visiting big shot from the TM “Movement” came to visit us, a Regional Coordinator, Bob W. After spending a few hours at our apartment, he told me, “You have grown so much. I have never seen anyone evolve so much, so fast.”

My first reaction? I winced with embarrassment. (Hey, that was me, back in the day.) Yet I also recognized the truth in it. I had grown a great deal.

In retrospect, this growth resulted from an insistence on evolving. Just what was preparing me for the first of two Virtual Reincarnations that I have had in this lifetime.

Fierce Insistence on Growth Leads to Virtual Reincarnation

That’s how it seems to me now, as I try to understand the concept of Virtual Reincarnation. What common denominator do I find, when I think about clients of mine and friends who have gone through a Virtual Reincarnation? (Or I think about myself.)

This is a small sample of people for generalizing. Yet they all have in common a similar, fierce insistence on evolving.

Back when Bob W. visited Donald and me, I had worked really hard to become a spiritual teacher. Not just the “Unlimited rounding” undertaken during my Teacher Training Course in TM, an extreme sport undertaken with the attitude of “Enlightenment or bust.”

When not meditating, I pushed myself, too. At my first course with Maharishi, the very first time I saw him, I was so astounded that I wrote a poem in his praise. When I tried to give it to him, he asked me to read it in our big lecture hall.

Me? So terrified of public speaking. Me? Read my little poem in front of 2,000 people?

Basically, I went back to my room and cried for a week. Then I got up in front of the microphone. I shook down to the core. Foolish and terrified though I felt, I read him that poem. During my follow-up course in Mallorca, Spain, I kept writing more poems and reading them, speaking at the microphone while joy and love alternated with my terror.

When Donald and I came back to America, we were offered Tampa as a place to teach meditation. After we started settling in, the word came down that, no, we were to go to Miami. So off we went. And there I proceeded to give public lectures.

Just how bad was I at public speaking, how utterly terrified? After a year in Miami, one of my initiates gave me a bottle of expensive perfume. She gave it to me through Donald. She told him, “I have never seen anyone so scared of speaking in public, not in my entire life.”

Seems to me, Virtual Reincarnation happens to people like that, folks who insist on growing. Virtual Reincarnation happens to people who won’t stop moving forward, regardless of the personal cost. So long as we feel we’re on the right track, we may flinch and appear foolish; we may cry, and risk being humiliated. Yet there is one thing we just won’t do. We will not stop until we reach our goal.

Rose Rosetree, having begun a Virtual Reincarnation around age 53

Rose Rosetree, having begun a Virtual Reincarnation around age 53

At the time of this photograph, taken when I was 54 by my friend Jan Jamil, I had moved into a Virtual Reincarnation. Still myself as a soul, still with the same body… though not exactly the same face as I had earlier.

Incidentally, you face readers might get a kick out of an article in the Online Supplement to Wrinkles Are God’s Makeup: How You Can Find Meaning in Your Evolving Face: Transformation Reading of Rose Rosetree .

It makes me cringe, reading any of this. Admittedly it generally makes me uncomfortable when I write about myself.

Gee, have any of you notice that at this blog? I don’t mind tell you’all about what I learn, or sharing teaching tales. But personal self-disclosure online? Not exactly my comfort zone. Anyway, in case it helps, this is one detailed face reading of someone who has gone through a Virtual Reincarnation. Maybe we will have a future blog post where I get to research changes to the face and/or aura of someone else who has gone through a Virtual Reincarnation.

All human life takes courage, of course

In a human incarnation, you come with a Life Contract and loads of karma. Besides all the meant-to-be’s, mostly a person has free will. Which is how the big evolution can happen.

Most human lives entail great challenge, sometimes. Generally we respond the best we can, and thus we evolve.

What’s my favorite example these days of a very human life, well lived? Billy Crystal’s tour de force play, 700 Sundays. If you can buy it online, you may well love it too, this immensely heartwarming Broadway show based on the actor’s life story. (Would make a great present for someone dear to you.)

After Billy Crystal’s beloved father died, his mother prepared to earn a salary for the first time in years. Billy encouraged her as she went to secretarial school and got a job. The pathos! The sweetness! And, most definitely, such courage!

Throughout this autobiographical performance, Billy Crystal un-self-consciously modeled how to live one’s incarnation with great honor and zest — so very human.

Seems to me, Virtual Reincarnation requires something different

I’ve seen it in some of my clients, that something different beyond living the human lifetime. These clients are like evolutionary athletes. They select meaningful intentions for growth, then move forward unflinchingly.

This, I think, is what causes someone to move into a Virtual Reincarnation, as described in the earlier articles of this series:

KYLIE, JULIE, ZELDA, JEAN, DAVID, ISABELLA, JESSICA, and many others (some active at this blog, others not) have been self-starters for their evolution. Besides handling what life was going to give them anyway, these adventurous souls have undertaken extra projects for evolution.

Then followed a period of months or years with behind-the-scenes reorganization of the personality. Subjectively there was flatness and emptiness to life, sometimes even a sense of death. Gradually what followed was a renewal of identity… and then a newer, brighter sense of self… a Virtual Reincarnation.

Moving into Enlightenment is a gift

Seems to this Enlightenment Coach, your personal seeking of Enlightenment could be compared to being a woman who is going to a dance. You get dressed up. You practice the steps. You get yourself ready.

Will you be chosen to dance?

There are no guarantees.

Sometimes, though, Enlightenment does happen.  It’s as though, at a certain point in a person’s evolution, God says, “Good enough.” Even if the person still has STUFF, it gets knocked down to the tiniest-possible intensity. “Enough already.” Then Enlightenment dawns.

Incarnated as human, we don’t get to make that mysterious choice. It is the prerogative of the Divine.

What can we do? We can make good human-type choices, exemplified so powerfully in the story recounted by Billy Crystal about him and his amazing family.

Beyond that, we can make choices for spiritual evolution, such as wise use of our 20 Daily Minutes of Technique Time, Tops. Or doing spiritual practices. Or pursuing personal growth through sessions of aura healing and transformation. Or learning whatever techniques of self-healing really work, and aren’t just busywork.

• Doing the best we can, sometimes we will be rewarded with a spiritual awakening.
  • Or all those bits of spiritual awakening will be graced by that “gradual click,” crossing the threshold into Enlightenment.
  • And sometimes we will be given a Virtual Reincarnation, whether or not we make it to Enlightenment.

So, why does Virtual Reincarnation matter more to me than Enlightenment?

Because, to some extent, Virtual Reincarnation is within our power, our human power.

No, we can’t go online and order it from Amazon.com. 😉

However, we can do all we can to move out STUFF and PUT-IN what expresses our souls more fully. We can keep going, doing our honest best. Spiritually we can keep listening and caring and learning and looking for what really works. We can follow through, doing our best, even when nobody else is watching.

This kind of progress isn’t about drama, Blog-Buddies. I’d say it is more like having the heart of a racehorse who will never, ever quit. Maybe not the strongest horse, nor the fastest. Just a racer with heart.

Here is what Virtual Reincarnation means to me. With determination to seek God, we can evolve, and integrate, until we (evidently) complete that lifetime’s karma. Then we can be given another lifetime’s worth, a.k.a. a Virtual Reincarnation, and keep on going with that.

How many incarnations stand between you and Enlightenment? That’s not negotiable; it’s more like the hand you were dealt. And maybe you have been dealt such a winning hand that all you need is to complete that one lifetime’s complicated karma and that’s enough.

But Virtual Reincarnations are available to those of us who wouldn’t have stood a chance, not a chance at gaining Enlightenment, with the consciousness we had when we started this lifetime.

What about magnificent Jeffrey Chappell? He was set to need just part of this incarnation and ooh, la la … God rang the ineffable chime! In he went, making that delicate shift into the simplicity of Enlightenment.

What about funny Laura Rosenbaum, that mess of a girl growing up in Flushing, New York? I needed two Virtual Incarnations before that ineffable chime rang for me.

Rose Rosetree, age 66, in a second Virtual Incarnation and after moving into Enlightenment

Jeanne says:

I love this. Rose, thanks for putting it all together. In such a deeply personal way. Very moving.

So much of what you are writing about on your blog these days really resonates with my own personal experiences right now. I’m in awe of that.

Julie says:

Fascinating post, Rose! Thanks for writing it. It adds a lot to the subject. Loved what you said about the racehorse that won’t quit – no need to be the strongest or the fastest horse, but the one with a heart that doesn’t quit!

My reoccurring thought about the personal cost is three words: “I don’t care”. I’m going where I’m going, regardless:)

Kira says:

I love reading different people’s experiences. It’s just so cool to me how different everyone is, even when there are points of similarity, and how similar people are in many ways, even with all their differences.

Kira says:

Unlike you, Rose, I don’t mind talking about myself, most of the time. My university allowed self-created courses, and one of the two I created was a sociology course on my own suicidal feelings. (I wonder every so often how many people have college credit for feeling suicidal.)

Kira says:

I do, however, resonate with one aspect of your story: doing things in spite of fear. I’m actually pretty scared of public speaking myself (I can sing in public, I can act in public, I can write about innermost feelings to complete strangers–it makes no sense), but I used to be terrified of bugs. Large bugs and stinging/biting bugs, especially.

I also thought bugs were fascinating, and I didn’t want to be so scared of them. So I bought a bug bracelet at my local science museum’s gift shop. It’s 6 colorful beetles encased in plastic. I was hoping wearing it from time to time would help me get used to having bugs close by.

Kira says:

Having the bug bracelet really didn’t help me feel less afraid of live (or dead, but not plastic-encased) bugs, but hey, it’s a cool bracelet.

What I later discovered was that I’m not actually afraid of bugs. I would really prefer that certain types of bugs not land on or touch me, but I don’t all-out panic any more. I had picked up other people’s fears of bugs, starting with my mother’s.

Kira says:

It probably wasn’t anywhere near half as hard for me to wear that bug bracelet, even when I still thought I was scared of bugs, than it was for you, Rose, to do all that public speaking. I’m in awe of that kind of persistence.

Dave says:

Huzzah! What a fabulous blog post, chock-full of useful tidbits.

As an aside, I find your self-disclosure blog posts to be some of the most interesting and useful. They add a humanity to your systems of energy spirituality, like reading an author’s bio in conjunction with a novel, and flesh out the journey by which your ideas have come to be. Plus, I think most blog-buddies can relate to the oft crappy existence of the unskilled empath and/or the spiritually confused.

Dave says:

Further, it makes utter sense that virtual reincarnation would be a natural evolution of Rosetree Energy Spirituality. Through the modalities, most notably cutting cords of attachment and Soul Energy Awakening, a practitioner removes ties that bind a client to the past.

For most, cords of attachment and frozen blocks trap one in patterns set in the past. Is it logical to be ruled by forces installed in the fear and confusion of infancy? Or from lives long since past? It can be quite hard to move forward due to these unseen forces.

But when STUFF is removed, the true soul emerges more strongly. If enough STUFF is removed, the individual emerges hardly recognizable.

A lot of people, perhaps most, are dominated in myriad ways by their stuff: self-identify, self-worth, behavior to list a few. If that STUFF is removed, they’re not exactly the same person, or their true self shines more brightly.

If you change the old suspension, rebuild the motor, gut and then reupholster the interior, and then repaint the exterior on an old car, it’s hardly the same car.

I love this post Rose, thanks for sharing it. It is so difficult to imagine you mired in misery, but that photo is proof. What amazing growth to have virtually reincarnated twice. I also love your self-disclosure posts.

I hadn’t really thought about why I have virtually reincarnated, but you’ve nailed it exactly: a fierce insistence on growth. That insistence is such a deep part of me, I barely notice it. But it drives all of my actions.

Kira I love your post about the bug bracelet! That is so cool. I always took my abhorrence of bugs for granted, until I had a friend who loved them. She showed me a book called “An Inordinate Fondness for beetles.” It had never occurred to me how beautiful bugs could be, before I saw that book, or that it was possible to have a different reaction to bugs than fear/disgust.

KYLIE, regarding your Comment 10: And it’s difficult to imagine you fierce.

Unless one has read your aura. (Laughing.)

KYLIE and KIRA, you might enjoy the bug theme in my novel for empaths, “The Roar of the Huntids.”

Thanks so much for your comments, everyone.

Zofia says:

Your face has changed quite a bit! It’s to good to hear that persistence pays off!

Amanda says:

I just love this post, Rose. Dedicated, profound – and so inspirational. Thank you!

I’ve had a real phase of change which is still ongoing, since the Shift in fact! I now have a partner living in my house, someone who has given me moments of glorious dance and connection and with whom I feel safe.

It’s been a transformative time and has also resulted in a massive clearance of STUFF. I don’t see the world in anything like the way I did. I’ve lost old friends and yet they are being replaced with new ones.

I am still evolving out of the flatness which you describe so well.

Thank you for letting it be OK 🙂 Biggest hug ever.

Amanda

Amanda says:

Oh, and my face and voice have changed as well! My face is smoother and more even. My singing has more emotional depth and resonance.

My dancing is so much more true and expressive and at times I feel like a true dancer.

🙂

Amanda

Zelda says:

Thanks for this post, Rose.

I admit that, having had such a lovely, simple, human time with my friend this week, as shared in my part 2 post, I’m having a harder time coming back to face some rather big challenges. Ooooh, sometimes I do get so sick of those big challenges!! Truly…it was a lovely respite and the challenges feel relentless.

I wonder if I am the only one who feels this way.

I know that I am somehow driven to keep growing, but much of the time I have not consciously been thrilled to embrace that. It’s more like I’ve found myself up against whatever it is that seems to be demanding me to take risks.

Such fascinating comments: Thanks to all of you who have been contributing to this thread, at this article and others.

I’m especially drawn to this statement by DAVE in Comment 9:

That is fascinating, isn’t it? Every bit of spiritual evolution counts, including (but hardly limited to) Virtual Reincarnation.

Rachel says:

Wow, I’ll second that, great comments. And “the true self shines more brightly.” Love that too.

For myself, I’m not sure that I’ve insisted on growing, it’s been more a case of life pushing me in that direction, kicking and screaming… 🙂

Jean says:

Rose this is just a wonderful post.

I deeply appreciate your courage in sharing more of your personal story.

Again quite helpful for myself – especially at his time in my life.

I have felt a strong and joyful deepening of connection with my soul as I have read, re-read and absorbed all you
    – and all the folks who have commented – have written of on Virtual Reincarnation, Enlightenment and the like.

Jean says:

Julie I think you said it beautifully in your comment #2…

“Loved what you said about the racehorse that won’t quit – no need to be the strongest or the fastest horse, but the one with a heart that doesn’t quit!

And I can relate to the insistence on evolving, with the personal cost being a small price to pay in the bigger picture of what’s gained – the learning, progress, contribution to life.”

Oh yes. 🙂

Zelda says:

Rose, on rereading this post, I particularly liked this passage:

“Then followed a period of months or years with behind-the-scenes reorganization of the personality. Subjectively there was flatness and emptiness to life, sometimes even a sense of death. Gradually what followed was a renewal of identity… and then a newer, brighter sense of self… a Virtual Reincarnation.”

It’s helpful to have the situation described in this way, to have a context for those challenging events. Sometimes the quietness of that reorganizing time was difficult, but in context, I can see how lots of socializing would have gotten in the way of the evolution.

I can remember times last summer when all I really was able to do was lie on my couch and rest, for hours and hours. It’s what my entire being seemed to need and want.

David.. says:

Wow, Rose, thanks for sharing. I too tend to focus on what I’ve learned and only occasionally write about myself. I was quite anxious when I was young so found meditation a remarkable salve. Curiously, I now find it difficult to remember what it was like. Lifetimes ago, it seems (laughs)

I also have had that fierce insistence on the path, even if the way wasn’t always clear. I’ve walked away from everything (or it fell away) a number of times to follow what seemed the more evolutionary scenario. There has been a few pauses, like when my boys were young and family took the focus for a time. But those were exceptions.

David.. says:

I read over your old Face reading comparison and not being a skilled face reader, didn’t think my face had changed much. (aside from the usual) But then I noticed the ears had gone up… somewhere near the shift. Curious.

David.. says:

I had a similar reaction to Maharishi, though the bliss started to overshadow the anxiety when I was invited to speak with him. (a much rarer opportunity by my time.)

And to public speaking. I laugh thinking back to the impression I must have left, staring mostly at the ceiling. (laughs)

David.. says:

Virtual reincarnation is a fascinating idea and this post makes it more clear. But I’m not sure about this life. Every jyotishi who has looked at my birth chart has said full enlightenment in this lifetime. But all gave a different time for the first shift and none were right.

I laughed at “God says, “Good enough.”” Well put. And that comes up more than once, that drop of grace that opens the next door. Close is good in horseshoes.

David.. says:

Is it more important than enlightenment? I would disagree simply because choosing to go through the extra burn is only about enlightenment.

Without that extra burn, we’re not going to get to go the extra laps. And if we don’t have that passion, why would we give up being comfortable and safe? Why would we take on more? We would not do it otherwise, seems to me.

But yes, just another perspective on this fascinating topic.

Zelda says:

I also like the term “evolutionary athlete.”

I think that there is a way of embracing evolution and developing skill in handling it. Getting good at it, basically. Knowing that it might hurt when people fall out of my life, but that sometimes this is necessary. Knowing when to reach out for help, as in booking a session.

This post has been a helpful context-setter for me, a reminder of what I’ve learned and how I’ve developed as this kind of “athlete.” Fascinating!

Sylvia says:

Thank you for such a beautiful, heartfelt sharing of your experiences.

Julie says:

I would add that on a mental level, I don’t really like challenges. I would prefer things easy to hard! But my soul takes a different view of things. Maybe through having had the experiences of this lifetime and other lifetimes, it can look with unwavering eyes on challenges.

It doesn’t mean they are fun, but there is a certain commitment to growth that is a backdrop. Set back, there is steadiness and resolve.

I’m not sure if I would use the word fierce as my descriptor (though I wouldn’t necessarily argue with it, either). But certainly I am committed, honest in my efforts, way sincere, and just feeling that wisdom and experience as a backdrop.

Zelda says:

I can relate to your comment 31, Julie. I had an objective reality situation that helped me see more clearly the resolve and steadiness and relentlessness that’s in me. I think it’s sometimes hard to see it so clearly or to see it as different from other people.

I recently learned that I won a battle to require a health insurance company to pay for medical care that they’d refused to pay for. It’s been a year-long battle.

Zelda says:

I still haven’t quite taken in the reality that many health insurers basically don’t pay for care simply because they know they can get away with it.

They count on people to give up and to be ignorant of their rights.

My Health Care Advocate knows their tricks and guided me to a successful resolution. We were discussing it today and I was made aware of the resolve in myself; of course I would not have given up! Why would anyone give up? What they were doing was just not right.

Then I thought back to this thread. I guess maybe it’s more unusual to have this kind of resolve.

ZELDA, in a situation where so many people perform shamefully it is doubly satisfying that you have acted with both persistence and honor and efficacy.

Personally, I’m so relieved.

Zelda says:

Thank you, Rose.

Just to be sure I understand what you mean, are you referring to consumers in my situation when you say “people perform shamefully?” If so, I’m a bit puzzled. Though I admit to still being generally a little stunned by the whole scenario, so there might be a general puzzlement going on.

Certainly the insurance company people performed shamefully, though that’s putting it mildly.

Not to beat a dead horse, but would you mind clarifying?

Zelda says:

And by the way, I feel a huge difference now, having just cut the icky cord of attachment to the CEO of the insurance company. Fascinating.

Aw, ZELDA, and me supposedly a professional writer!

Of course I meant that so many in the insurance profession act shamefully, not consumers.

And yes, calling it shameful behavior is putting it mildly.

Dear Rose:

Thanks for honoring me by the mention you give in this article. It is greatly appreciated.

My esteem for you keeps virtually reincarnating. It is just about sky-high right now.

Love,