Coming out as an Empath

When is it important for an empath to "Come out of the closet?"

When is it important for an empath to “Come out of the closet?”

“Coming out the first time was hard enough,” JOE told me. “It was hard, telling my friends that I am an empath. It was awkward, and some of them just didn’t understand.”

Blog-Buddies, I don’t think I have ever written before on this topic. Let’s consider it now.

Is it necessary to “Come out” as an Empath?

Of course not. One in 20 people has been born as an empath. What does it mean, being an empath?

• A. That you’re hopelessly weird and freaky.
  • B. That you have a sort of sensitivity disability, so now you require either special pampering or pity?
  • C. That you have at least one significant gift for directly experiencing what it is like to be another person.

Many folks have heard of Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs) but have not yet heard that there are also Highly, Highly Sensitive Persons, and we are empaths.

Well, hello! That’s all it is, a form of Highly Sensitive Person.

So Answer C. is correct. Okay, there’s just a bit more. Unskilled empaths suffer. All unskilled empaths suffer.

However, it is possible for any empath to learn skills of Empath Empowerment (For details, see the end of today’s article.)

Becoming a skilled empath isn’t difficult, although it takes a bit of time to get in the groove. As a skilled empath, your quality of life improves a lot.

When is it important to come out?

If you are LGBTQ, it may be very important for you to let others know about your sexual orientation and gender identy.

I’d say, it’s probably very important. Because what happens otherwise?

There you are, walking around in that male or female body. Before coming out, you are presumed heterosexual. Why not let people know, at least those people who think they know basics about you like your gender identity and sexual orientation?

Being an empath isn’t like that at all. How much sensitivity you have in life… is nobody else’s business. Probably nobody is presuming anything about how sensitive you are, or what kind, right?

What DO you need as an empath?

Empathic gifts don’t make you a special-needs person. And no amount of “Support group for empaths” or “Coping strategies and tips for empaths” will make a lasting difference, other than misery loves company-type consolation. (Or the fun of busywork.)

An empath needs skills that work, not a special, oh-so friendly empath’s support group. One well tested, very learnable skill set is called “Empath Empowerment(R).”

An empath who has developed those skills has the habit of positioning consciousness in a certain way. Automatically your empath gifts are turned OFF.

Progressing as a more advanced, skilled empath, you can learn how to use one or more techniques for Skilled Empath Merge. Then you can included that amazing way of depth learning about other people in your daily Technique Time.

(Blog-Buddies, you may know that I recommend a maximum of 20 Daily Minutes of Technique time for anyone, empath or not. It helps you to live the consciousness lifestyle of human-based spirituality, moving forward rapidly on you personal path to Enlightenment.)

For a lot of knowledge, free and reliable and fast, visit our Empath Empowerment and Empathy, Top 10 List

What to tell people if you wish to tell them that you are an empath

If you do feel it is important to make an announcement, you might adapt the language that follows:

Because we’re friends, I thought you might want to know that I have learned something about myself lately. You may have noticed that I am really sensitive. Well, it turns out that I am extremely sensitive and have talent as an empath. Being an empath isn’t weird. It just means you have at least one lifelong gift for directly experiencing what it is like to be someone else. About 1 in 20 people was born as an empath.

Right now I am learning to develop empath skills, a skill set called Empath Empowerment. I’m expecting that this will give me a stronger sense of who I am as a person and help me to grow as a person.

How can you become a skilled empath?

The system of Empath Empowerment(R) can get you there.

Learn it from:

• Become The Most Important Person in the Room, a how-to available as either a paperback or an ebook.
  • The Empowered Empath: Owning, Embracing and Managing Your Special Gifts  So far this how-to is available as an empath’s ebook only, which you can either read on a Nook or download it, via free software, onto your empath-friendly Windows PC, Mac, or smartphone. For now, this is book available only within the U.S. I’m doing all I can to get more publication options working.
  • The Empowered Empath: Quick & Easy is an even easier book to use. This how-to for empaths is about half as long as the regular edition of  The Empowered Empath. Again, I aim to make it available very soon as an ebook and then a paperback, plus an ebook that you can purchase to read in all the major format.

Once you have gained basic Empath Empowerment skills, you can enhance them with…

The Master Empath: Turning on Your Empath Gifts at Will — in Love, Business and Friendship. (Includes Training in Skilled Empath Merge.) (And does it ever!)

Currently this, too, is available as an empath’s ebook only, which you can either read on a Nook or download it, via free software, onto your empath-friendly Windows PC, Mac, or smartphone. For now, this is book available only within the U.S. I’m doing all I can to get more publication options working.

• Blog-Buddies, you can also study directly with me to gain Empath Empowerment, either one 55-minute session of personal mentoring at a time or a reduced tuition “Day of Mentoring.” Each option works equally well by phone, webcam conference, or in person. Take your pick.

Zofia Jones says:

Hmm, the point is that empaths do have a different start in life. We’ve had to learn who we are to manage ourselves. We have to maintain self-awareness to make sure that we’re not picking up things that others aren’t. need to make sure that our judgement is correct. etc.

Zofia Jones says:

non empaths don’t have to make this effort. when emotions are very strong eg someone screaming at you, it’s very difficult to not feel the emotions attacking you as well as the words. putting you at a disadvantage in very negative situations.

Zofia Jones says:

also, noone gets extra pity and support. i don’t think anyone expects that. in my experience, being an empath just adds to the work you need to do to keep life chugging along.

Zofia Jones says:

by the time you’ve figured all this out, you could have ballsed up a lot of stuff for yourself.

Zofia Jones says:

it’ll be better for people once energy awareness finally takes off and you can find good info easily. but right now, you’ll need to get through years of trying different things until you realise what’s actually going on! grr.

Zofia Jones says:

empowerment comes from experience, and experience takes time. don’t blame empaths for finding it hard and feeling left out of life. empath solidarity!

David.. says:

Interesting, Rose. Around friends, I would not say I’ve “come out”, although I have shared with a few close friends. Otherwise, it’s not been important. Occasionally, the subject comes up in conversation and I may then explain a little because many who have heard of the idea have no idea of it’s range.

I suspect spiritual people are slightly more inclined to be empaths so I do run into them.

On my blog, I did “come out” in writing about my surprise in reading Become the Most Important Person, a prior Empath book of yours. I do want to support people where I can.

David.. says:

The one thing I would add to your explaining – kinds of empath. Virtually everyone I’ve spoken with about it who’s heard of it equates empath with emotional empath.

Telling someone you’re an empath without clarifying a bit will probably have them assuming emotions – which may or may not be the case.

David.. says:

Zofia
    After reading Rose’s prior book Become the Most Important…, I find your closing comment somewhat ironic. Empaths are anything but “left out of life”. They’re more intimately connected in some ways.

However, as the book made clear for me, being “invisible” socially is a standard coping mechanism for unskilled empaths. It doesn’t really work but is all too common.

David.. says:

Further…
    Once you become conscious of that tendency, you can correct it. Also, no emotion ever attacks unless you are defending. Emotions are energy, amplified by resistance. That technique also fails.

Energy is neutral. Our response is what gives it a “charge”. This is why becoming skilled is so important.

David.. says:

It is true it takes a little awareness. We have a lifetime of habit to shift. But like learning anything, it just takes practice. Then it will be a new habit. No work required.

And then we’ll see it as the gift it is, not a burden.

Confused says:

Why would we choose Become over the other two books? Why would we choose Quick and Easy over the full version?

I hope that you will explain the differences somewhere because when I have trouble figuring out the differences between similar products I often end up not buying anything.

Thanks for asking, CONFUSED. The simple answer is to start with Book One of this series, “Become The Most Important Person in the Room“. 🙂

If you wish to learn more details about each book, go to my website. There is a detail page for each book, so you can compare for yourself.

Just click on the book cover and sample away.

Otherwise, to avoid confusion, just go for “Become The Most Important Person in the Room.” It has helped thousands of others and it can help you, too.

Note: CONFUSED, only “Become The Most Important Person in the Room” is published yet in paperback. That’s right, it is my only book for empaths now in print.

My other books for empaths in English, “The Empowered Empath,” “The Master Empath” and “The Empowered Empath — Quick & Easy” are still in press. The first two have an electronic version available via Nook and for your phone, etc.

These are available in the United States only, so far.

You can be sure, once I have fully published these newer books for empaths, they will be readily available worldwide and there will be more information to avoid confusion and help you celebrate the unique value of each of these books.

Become The Most Important Person in the Room” is not being replaced by these other books. It remains a practical how-to that works.

David.. says:

Confused
    I read Become first because that’s what was available at the time. Actually, I read Aura Reading and some others first. It was only when I started Become that I realized I should have started there.

If you’re an empath, getting skilled is the first thing you want to do. It will have the greatest practical impact.

Then when you learn reading, it’s not being muddied by unskilled merges, etc.

Zelda says:

I had a wonderful experience today that had me feeling grateful and triumphant about being a skilled empath. It was really something.

Baseball fans know that the San Francisco Giants won the World Series on Wednesday in Kansas City. I’m not a die-hard baseball fan, but this team is amazing, and I found myself enjoying the excitement of the World Series games.

Zelda says:

Today was the World Series parade to welcome the Giants home. This is the 3rd World Series they’ve won in 5 years! An astonishing accomplishment.

While it was exciting to know about the past World Series celebrations, there’s no way I would have considered going to the parade, mainly because I don’t like crowds and felt it would be overwhelming and unpleasant. Really my “go-to” response for such events.

Zelda says:

This year, I was scheduled to be working in a broadcasting class a block away from the parade and the instructor chose to have us go to the parade to give the students a chance to interview people on the street.

I was mildly surprised to find myself excited about going.

What a thrill it was to be part of the huge crowd and to feel the sheer exuberance and joy that filled the streets, in spite of the rain!

What fun to be somewhere where everyone was just insanely happy and having a great time, including these international students. What fun for them to be part of the experience.

Zelda says:

This is the part that really surprised me. I didn’t fully get it till we were watching the interviews and some students commented on being swept away by the exuberance and not being able to control themselves within it.

It dawned on me that it was a very big deal that I was able to be at such an event, have a lot of fun, and not get overwhelmed or swept away or lose myself by being bombarded by all that emotion and energy. I’m tired at the end of the day, but not fried or discombobulated or cranky from having absorbed emotions from others.

That was an amazing experience!

I loved that feeling of having a shared experience with so many others and being able to participate in it and enjoy it, instead of feeling victimized and miserable. Wow.

Zelda says:

The hero in the Giants win is pitcher Madison Bumgarner. I was thinking back to wonderful aura readings you’ve done of world class athletes, Rose, like Meryl Davis and Charlie White; Michael Phelps; Gabby Douglas.

It would be fascinating to see what was going on in his aura during those final innings of game 7. In case you feel so inclined and have the time, here’s a photo:

ZELDA, what a triumph tale, a non-event event as it were.

Your Comment 19 is especially fascinating. Thank you.