Here's a free way to improve your waking, your sleeping

Matt Weber and Rose Rosetree enjoying light

Matt Weber and Rose Rosetree enjoying light

Merry Holiday time. Including Christmas, if you celebrate that.

We do. We celebrate Hanukkah and also Christmas.

Around here, three of us are celebrating today: Mitch (a.k.a. The Appointment Coordinator, The Workshop Coordinator) and Matt (a.k.a. “The Child.”) And me, who is literally as well as figuratively “A Jewish mother” thanks to Mitch and The Child.

Matt is visiting us during his winter break, having flown here from grad school on the other coast. Okay, to other people in the world besides his mother, Matt no longer is “The Child.” 😉

Anyway, here’s a gift he gave to Mom and Pop that I can also give to you. See better, though not necessarily deeper, with this free download for your electronic devices.

Mitch and Matt Weber, Lighting up 2014

Mitch and Matt Weber, Lighting up 2014

Research shows that electronic devices can impact sleep. Well…

Improve your life just by using this software.

It was developed by the f.olks at www.f.lux. Click and go!

According to this website:

The downlad makes the color of your computer’s display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It’s even possible that you’re staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.

Decide for yourself. I hope you enjoy all that you behold. This day at Earth School and every day.

Mitch and Rose, wishing you a happy home wherever you are right now.

Mitch and Rose, wishing you a happy home wherever you are right now.

Elaine says:

Thank you. I’m trying it out!

I like f.lux too, I only started using it a month ago.

It’s good to turn it off temporarily if you are doing any work that requires accurate colour perception like photo editing etc.

I have also been having success with an app called Sleep Time on my iPhone – http://www.azumio.com/apps/sleep-time/

It analyzes your sleep and can tell how deep your sleep is. In the half an hour before your chosen wake-up time, it detects when your sleep is the lightest and wakes you up then – keeps you from being thrown groggily out of a deep sleep by your alarm.

I have no idea how it works but it has been working really well for me.

It costs 2.50 in Australia.

Emily says:

I have been using flux for a while now! It is great and really unobtrusive. It is quite funny if you are working at sunset and notice the colours changing. I also like that you can get a pop up screen that tells you how many hours are left until sunset.

Thanks Rose–lovely photos!

Zelda says:

Thanks for the tip, Rose. I’m trying it out now.

Has anyone tried installing f.lux on an iPhone5? From my investigating, I see that it only seems possible to install by jailbreaking the iPhone, which I’ve never done. I’m hesitant to do that, but would sure love to have f.lux on my iPhone, too.

Any thoughts or experience with that, techie blog-buddies?

Kira says:

I have a Jawbone UP24 (an electronic bracelet) that tracks my sleep (and steps, and workouts and food if I wanted to); it also wakes me within a somewhat adjustable time range before my chosen alarm time, based on whether I’ve come out of deep sleep into light sleep. It vibrates on my wrist. Sounds similar to your phone app, Adam, but I like the fact that it’s on my wrist.

Kira says:

My UP24 works very well for me most of the time, but occasionally my brain won’t stop at night. That used to be a common problem for me (long before my UP24), but hadn’t been for most of 2 years. Unfortunately, it has disrupted my comfortable routine in the last month or two; I don’t fall asleep for a longer while after getting in bed, therefore I’m still in deep sleep when my alarm vibrates, and I am too groggy to wake up.

Kira says:

Since I use my phone to distract myself (by playing Words with Friends–i.e. Scrabble–or solving Sudoku puzzles), this app may well be really useful.

Normally, I fall asleep well before finishing all 6 Sudoku puzzles-of-the-day, or managing to make a word with every friend I’m playing against. That is what has changed lately. So it may not be the light of my phone keeping me up, but it can’t hurt to try this out anyway.

Kira says:

Well, rats. It’s not for Android devices. At least my phone auto-adjusts its brightness, if not its color.

Antoinette says:

Thank you Rose, I’ve installed f.lux on my computer. I wish you and your family a happy festive season :-)!

Sandra says:

Thanks for sharing the software and also the lovely pictures of your family, Rose. Happy Holidays!

Kira says:

I found a similar app for Android devices: Bluelight Filter for Eye Care.

I hadn’t even gotten around to looking yet, but one of my Facebook friends posted an article about the dangers of reading screens before bedtime, and the article mentioned f.lux for computers as well as linking to Bluelight Filter.