Who, exactly, is in charge of your talent?

Human life is complicated enough without believing that you must actively pursue every possible talent

Talent is not destiny. It’s a resource.

Talent is not a cosmic SHOULDING. Talent adds to the beautiful scope of your free will.

Today let’s consider your relationship to something so personal and, mostly, beautiful. Because you do have talent.

That’s great. Just don’t make yourself a human sacrifice on the altar of your talent. Misuse of free will can cause talent to turn distracting or even ugly. For example…

Psychic-level talent is just a talent

We have been having some great exchanges of ideas over at JEM’s latest guest post, How one empath’s daughter turned her life around. A guest post by JEM.

In the comments, JEM went into some detail about the different experiences of consciousness she has been having. These could be considered expressions of talent.

To this Enlightenment Coach, it’s vital to make this distinction, before commenting further as, last night, I said that I would.

Psychic Planes are not Spiritual Planes

Blog-Buddies, you already know the difference between human, Divine, and astral, right? These posts can be good resources for gaining that understanding:

Yes, the topic of human vs. psychic vs. Divine is discussed a lot here at this blog.

Yes, it is very counter-culture within New Age to not just speak of human vs. The Other Side.

Hay House-style New Age mixes up psychic and spiritual energies, techniques, aspirations. As though it were all one big happy family, all equally wonderful. And something to never, ever discuss with discernment. Because apparently that would be the New Age equivalent of conspiring with Satan in fundamentalist Christianity. You know, supposedly it would be “Judmental.”

Well, ha! I’m a post-New Age spiritual teacher, who is grateful for all I have learned from New Age but has progressed beyond it. And I could hardly be an Enlightenment Coach with integrity if I didn’t bring up from time to time that there are vibrationally… Three Worlds, not Two.

To gain Enlightenment, emphasize human-level talent. Not psychic-level talent, and not astral flash. Also known as “The Romance of the Astral.”

It will help you to clearly understand the difference between psychic-level experiences and spiritual-level experience.

Yum, let’s celebrate this kind of discernment with a quiz in my next blog post.

Meanwhile… consider here

Just because you have a talent at ANYTHING, what does that require of you?

Blog-Buddies, you’re invited to comment below with examples from your own life. How have you made your peace with your various talents?

In making the calculation about which talents to cultivate, have you included self-authority? Compassion?

You may well have struggled with this.

So many men. So many things to do. So little  time.

Complicating your choice here at elegant Earth School, reincarnation is a big factor.

Talent that comes easily in this life has been earned in previous lives.

Which is why the notion of a “Child prodigy” as a violinist is so laughable to me.

That bright young Midori-like performer has worked her or his butt off, probably in many, many previous incarnations. Practicing. Practicing. Perfecting. Maybe performing. Never receiving big acclaim. Not then. But such a lot of good karma landing NOW.

At any age, talent can be fun for you to pursue in this lifetime. Or sometimes that particular talent may not appeal to you much. It might feel like a matter of “Been there, done that.”

A big talent may not be relevant to your growth path NOW

For instance, I think of the drawing talent of Robin Ludt. Enormous talent!

She took a class I gave on face reading back when I had a big problem with illustrations as a self-publisher.

A truly despicable publisher held rights to my face reading book, illustrations included. Although the book was out of print, they claimed it wasn’t. Just in case they might ever change their minds ab out republishing.

Sillyhead Publishing had a big legal staff to enforce their greeed. For over a year, they refused to give me access to those illustrations, done originally by another person with huge drawing talent who went in a different direction, Paula Stone. Despite the strongest possible letters I could write, they refused until they dropped their little book division and therefore had no further need for my work.

When I mentioned to my class that I didn’t have any book on face reading that could be sold, Robin volunteered to make me a new set of illustrations. God bless her! The cost would have been prohibitive.

Also her drawings were fabulous. (You have seen them if you own a copy of “The Power of Face Reading.” A completely different book in most respects from what is available now as a print book and eBook under the title “The NEW Power of Face Reading.” While “The NEW Power of Face Reading” contains photographs, the earlier book had Robin’s splendid drawings.)

I’m not sure which impressed me more about Robin:

• How beautifully and effortlessly she does illustration.
  • How generous she was to me. (For the record, I did pay her royalties.)
  • How little she cared about drawing… in this lifetime.

If I had that degree of talent, I imagine, I would be drawing every day of my life. (Much as I write every day of my life, fanning the little flame of my writing talent. And writing is my very, very favorite thing to do.) (And also because I am wired as an artist in this life. A completely different consideration, right?)

But Robin has moved on. She has other interests. Loads of them.

Tremendous wisdom at when to use her talent for illustration

Robin used that old talent where it would help. When it pleased her.

She was crystal clear. Drawing isn’t important to her, although she can use it as needed.

Now that’s a brilliant use of free will, isn’t it?

How about you and your talents, Blog-Buddies? Do the they run you? Have you thought you HAD to structure your life around them?

Lilian says:

Interesting! I remember hearing the parable of the talents and hearing sermons about using all of your talents. Oh the self-imposed stress in teenage Lilian’s mind. I was much happier when I just chose to focus on science when I was 16. More than anything I knew I wanted to develop more leadership skills rather than indulge in an “arty” lifestyle. I think this is part of the teenage struggle. Most teenagers could chose several different paths, but you have to make your choices!

David FB says:

Great point, Rose. I struggled for awhile, thinking I was “supposed” to develop all my talents, even though my interest in some was modest or variable. Slowly, I learned about other factors like temperament.

Eventually, I evolved an approach. I have the tools available, should the desire arise to enjoy some ability. But I do it to enjoy rather than as an obligation. A hobby as it were. It means a little extra stuff around and software on the computer. But an easy expression when it arises.

David FB says:

Actually I had a similar response to some early spiritual experiences. They came with understanding. I thought this meant I was “supposed” to teach it or something. That sure wasn’t the response I got from people around me.

Never occurred to me it was the simple consequence of lifetimes on the path. No obligations or requirements.

Emily says:

At school I was very good at writing essays. My English teacher said I was writing at an undergraduate level when I was 16. People in my class would ask me to grade their coursework for them and explain why they were getting the grades they were. I never chose to study English at university. It felt a bit, “been there, done that”. And if I was already at the level of an undergraduate, first year would have been a bit boring anyway.

Emily says:

There were also skills that I have that weren’t quite honed but if I worked on them I could make a living from them. For example fashion design. My nan took me on courses when I was a teenager and really wanted me to be a fashion designer because she wished she had been one herself. Even now my boyfriend has bought me sewing classes for my birthday before and I really enjoyed them and found them straightforward. However the fashion industry, and even just the small local boutique industry just does not appeal to me. Any talent I do have would take about ten years to hone and I don’t think I’d enjoy the uncertainty along the way.

Ali says:

I have a talent for picking up foreign languages. I majored in two foreign languages in college just because it meant I wouldn’t have to study, although I did also get enjoyment from the courses. Through my twenties and early thirties I thought that my work had to always revolve around language because I had a talent for it. Then two years ago I discovered painting, and it gives me about 10,000 times more joy than language. Now I’m using language to write poems to go with my paintings, and also experimenting with calligraphy but it’s all based around the visual arts and I’m much more fulfilled. Thanks for an illuminating post, Rose!

Interesting. In astrology, one of my talents I no longer use, there are two nodes that signify talents, south and north. The south node represents talents you came in with, but it’s a “been there done that” situation. The north node represents talents you are developing in this lifetime. One huge regret I had in my life is that of not meeting my intellectual potential. Why didn’t I go to an Ivy League college? Why didn’t I get a PhD? But looked at from this perspective, intellectual analysis is a “been there done that” kind of deal for me. What is new for me is using my smarts and heart in everyday life.

With the astrology nodes, it’s not quite as cut and dry as I put it. There is a flow between the two nodes. In my life, I’ve come to realize that my intellect needs a complex and challenging project, but it has to be useful in daily life, and not just a science but also an art. Astrology is like that–you can study technical aspects of it for years, but ultimately it is an art.

Learning Mandarin has been perfect for me–it is complicated enough to delight my intellect, but it is a skill that brings me into connection with others.

It is amazing to me that so many of the things that seem not to have worked out in life, in hindsight worked out just perfectly. I’m thinking of the healing session I just had where I cut the cord to a guy who I had a deep soul connection, but our romantic timing was off. That seemed like one of my many relationship failures. But, the aura research showed that he was an individual I had been married to in past lives. No matter how strong the soul connection, it wasn’t part of my life contract for this life.

Lilian says:

Interesting comments Kylie. I definitely understand the need to mix knowledge with the art of using it. The more strings you have to your bow the more you can see the bigger picture. I know I can do many things, so I’m more concerned about doing things the right way. To create pleasant working environments and connections with others, to enjoy things as much as possible. Why not find ways to contribute as much to the whole rather than just worrying about your own worth?

Will says:

The relationship wasn’t meant to be. Best then to surrender.

All those comments about talent are so fascinating. Thanks, all!

And let’s hear more from you Blog-Buddies, because you may not be in the habit of paying attention to those talents not being actively used right now.

That doesn’t diminish their importance. Unused talents can augment the importance of the life you are claiming for yourself now.

Zelda says:

I have a talent for learning languages and thoroughly enjoyed it in my twenties, when I traveled a lot.

Now that talent definitely informs what I do, but I’m not interested in actually taking the time to learn and become fluent in languages.

I’d say I also have talent related to traveling overseas, but I’m not interested in doing that now. I know people who speak of such travel as something most people would want to do, but not me, not now, for various reasons.

Zelda says:

I’ve also found the north and south nodes of the moon, from astrology, to be very helpful in terms of understanding various talents and preferences.

This time around, being of service out in the world is important, not pursuing spiritual pursuits.

David FB says:

I briefly mentioned Temperament – that was a slow learn how important that is. Having a talent but not having the right temperament to express it in todays society may be a sign it’s not a key one for this time round.

I had one I’d take a kick at about every 10 years until I finally figured that out.

Brittany says:

I have always been mildly talented at art and creating things. I grew up with a mom who thought I was very talented, but she lacked completely the ability to help me augment any of my talents.

I am definitely more interested in others’ use of their talents than in exploring my own. I think this has helped me be a good parent to my own talented daughter.

Actually, I use my talents all the time by creating an interesting environment for myself and entertaining myself. I think not being motivated to be recognized for my talent has helped me just enjoy the thrill of doing things creatively on a regular basis. I enjoy mundane stuff because I feel like I infuse the activity with creative self expression. I have a talent for finding thrilling ways to be a very average person.

David FB says:

Thanks for that Kylie. I have south node in the 9th of higher education and indeed assumed I’d get a PhD, liked my father. My life had other plans. (laughs)

Amusingly, that puts the north in the 3rd of communication and writing. But I was an abysmal writer for years. And now its what I do. That didn’t develop because I cultured it.

But yeah – it has to be interesting and I’ve ended up doing quite complex work.

Emily says:

One of the talents I didn’t think of earlier was counselling people. When I was 21 I started two years of counselling courses and I was repeatedly told that I had a surprising manner/ability to share insight for someone my age. I think being an unskilled empath might have had something to do with it!

Although I did enjoy the training and got great feedback, ultimately it can be a tough job and I prefer my current job where I problem solve, get to travel and learn new skills consistently.

Anther consideration is that most new counsellors in the UK will enter a very saturated and under paid job market.

Zelda says:

I’m enjoying the reminder about the usefulness of the north/south node info from astrology. I’d say it’s probably been the most useful information I’ve learned from delving into astrology. Very helpful for learning about talents and strategies for applying oneself this time around.

My south node is in Pisces in the 12th house. Loads of practice as a religious devotee and quite the set up for spiritual addiction this time around! Which is why it hasn’t been an accident that I made my way to Rose as a mentor. 🙂

I really did the bit about unconsciously heading back to that south node territory by marrying a minister the first time around. Pretty funny now to connect those dots. Lesson learned!

Blog-Buddy DAVID FB has written a (typically) brilliant post about spiritual integration.

My favorite sentence: “Life in the world is not an enemy of spiritual growth. It is spiritual growth.”

Check out the wonderful wisdom at his blog:

Sarah says:

I love this thread. It reminds me of one of my favorite “aha!”s that I learned here at the blog.

I used to think in terms of “gifts” (synonymous with how we are using “talent” here), and how maybe you got one or two for your life and what a waste it would be not to use ALL of them ALL of the time!

(Even if they were incompatible with the life you wanted to lead.)

Sarah says:

Enter Rose, and the concept of chakra databanks with divine-level gifts of the soul. Not one or two gifts, but FIFTY of them, per energy center! Hundreds of gifts! Puts things in a different perspective. 🙂

Now I think of both gifts and talents in terms of the supplies you put in your “backpack” before you get here on Earth.

Do you always, always use everything you pack when you go on a trip? Of course not!

And maybe you only need that flashlight once, but boy is it helpful when you do.

David, my south node is also in the 9th (in Virgo, conjunct Pluto, my north node in the 3rd in Pisces (like you Zelda.) Interesting that you also thought you would get a PhD. Writing is a talent I enjoy but take for granted…it’s the verbal communication I’m more drawn to. And learning to enjoy life without the detailed map/blueprints/analysis I used to think so necessary. Zelda, your example of going back to the south node is so funny. Sarah, I love the backpack analogy. It is amazing, the hundreds of gifts we all have.

Kira says:

This is such a cool conversation! I am a little nervous about commenting because I’m afraid it’s going to sound like bragging, but this really struck a chord with me because I apparently have a lot of talents.

I have had people tell me, basically, “Oh, why don’t you do X more often? You’re so good at it!” for drawing, writing, dancing, and a few other things that I can’t think of right now. If I wanted to really work on a talent, there just wouldn’t be enough time to fully develop all the ones I have potential in.

Kira says:

I was talked into becoming an English major instead of a space physics major by one of my English professors (and also talked *out* of space physics, very kindly too, by one of my space physics professors).

I currently use that talent by writing poetry, but haven’t started submitting it anywhere yet; still, that’s one of three that I do use on a regular basis.

Kira says:

The 2nd is singing.

I joined a Sweet Adelines (women’s barbershop) chorus and compete annually in my region.

I also formed a duo with a friend, singing filk (the music of science fiction fandom), and we’re working toward our 2nd CD as a duo (the 5th we’ve collaborated on and his 6th overall).

We do one or more concerts a year at various science fiction or filk conventions, mostly in the northeast or midwest. And I do karaoke as a hobby.

Kira says:

The 3rd is, I guess, layout design. I started making cards and signs on the computer years ago and now I’m on my 12th year of editing and laying out the program book for an annual science fiction conference.

I still do cards and signs, too.

Kira says:

The rest of whatever talents I have are used occasionally, to fulfill a specific need.

I never took dance lessons, for instance, so the only dancing I do is when others are singing during karaoke.

It’s my favorite way of being in my body, but I don’t feel a need to do anything with it except have fun.

KIRA, you’re one of the first people I thought of while writing this post. Clearly you have way more talents than anyone would be able to use.

I’m glad you mentioned the talent for dance that ISN’T so much being developed.

All you Blog-Buddies are invited, especially, to regale us with not-much-used talents — formerly used or just ones you suspect you have.

It isn’t bragging at all to acknowledge talents in abundance.

Big thanks, so far, to those who have been contributing on the Talent topic in addition to KIRA:

LILIAN, DAVID FB, EMILY (Wow!), ALI, KYLIE, ZELDA, BRITTANY, and SARAH.

Julie says:

I think I grew up with a very narrow definition of what talent was. I didn’t see myself as talented until I was well into my adult years.

I can remember, at something like 7 years old, being at school. I was in a class with another girl and we had a wonderful teacher who loved both of us.

But this other girl was an artist. She was always drawing the most amazing things and getting so much attention for that.

I think I saw that and equated talent with art, like that was the only form of talent a person could have.

Julie says:

Now I think of it more like talent expresses in everything a person does. Whether it fits neatly into a box of things traditionally thought of as talent, or not.

Whether it is something that is easily identified by others, or not. Whether it is something that produces a tangible product, like a drawing or painting, or not.

It seems like some talents can be a little ‘outside the box’ and not so easily identified. Like having a talent for making other people think – a talent for creative thinking, or creative problem-solving, or a talent for resourcefulness. A talent for ingenuity. Uniqueness.

A talent for study or research. A talent for being deep. A talent for looking at things differently. A talent for being different.

Julie says:

Ironically, I actually did have some talent for art myself. I just couldn’t see that because I was so busy admiring sombody else’s talent.

Also, the talent that I have with art would have to be cultivated. I didn’t come into life with it at prodigy level, for example.

It isn’t where I have chosen to spend my time. I have taken some classes but the talent wasn’t a priority to develop, or hasn’t been so far.

It’s more a “If I had the time, and the leisure.”

Julie says:

It’s refreshing to hear that I don’t have to pursue every possible talent. I used to be very heavy into the New Age movement, and I felt a lot of pressure to develop all talents right away.

As if I would be not living up to my potential in life, if I did not pursue and develop everything.

And with only so many hours in a day, and many competing interests, I have had to pick and choose.

I still do hope to do some things, that I haven’t yet. I would like to learn animal communication, take a creative writing class, and be a better aura reader (have done some with this).

But I don’t feel the mad dash anymore, to hurry, hurry, hurry.

Primmie says:

I have a lot of talents. I can act although I didn’t have the stomach for the acting business.

I can write. I do very little with my writing ability, although it comes in very handy when I have to advocate for my disabled son.

I can paint. I love to paint and did it for a living. Really, I have a talent for making things beautiful and I really understand colour.

I can teach. Am moderately interested in teaching and have done it a bit.

I have a talent for being a therapist. I am absolutely not ever going to use this talent, even though my husband dearly wants me to and friends often tell me I should.

Also, I think I have a talent for being a human being and learning about life. I feel good about life. I feel like I learn easily from it. I love it.

Julie says:

I like the point that several people have made, that even though they don’t use a talent in a big, flashy way like “career”, they still manage to incorporate it into much of what they do.

That talent weaves its way into other areas of life and other projects. It gets used.

It reminds me of something a person said to me once, that “You are living your purpose, every day, in big and small ways”.

Talent comes out, in one way or another. To one degree, or another. When given the arena, and freedom.

David FB says:

Julie
    Good note about talent perception. My sister has fine art skills like painting and sculpture, something she developed. I had an orientation to design and graphics with an early interest in cartooning. But I didn’t see it as valuable or much of a talent.

My son on the other hand has similar and developed it. He’s published his first large graphic novel and is working on a second. There was never any pressure on him about it. Just encouragement for what he enjoyed.

David FB says:

Also, Julie. On “if I were a parent” – you teach mostly by example. In my own case, my boys resisted any attempt to be molded – they wanted to find out for themselves. But they still picked up a lot of outlook from us, even a few bad habits. (laughs)

They learn from who you are, not your concepts about what you’ll teach them. 😉

Kira says:

Wow, Rose, I feel honored! I know you know a lot of multi-talented people because you mention them here, and I know just from reading Blog-Buddies’ posts and comments that many of you are multi-talented as well. I would not have guessed that you were thinking of me.

Kira says:

I’m really glad, Rose, that you started this topic because this isn’t something I’ve ever been able to talk about in normal life. I know way too many people who are very talented, either in one or multiple areas, who have various obstacles to using and developing those talents. Such a conversation would be painful to them.

Julie says:

Comment 38-

You don’t think the kids would want to listen to my lectures, David? Laughter…

Good point. The nonverbal is the most powerful. But I would want to add some verbal guidance. I never got that as a child and it would have been most helpful.

I just think I could save them some time. Tell them some things, even if later they shrug their shoulders and go “whatevah”.

Hopefully it would be along the lines of support and encouragement, and feedback about themselves and what they are good at, rather than pushing or having an agenda.

Julie, I loved your comments about talents not always being easily identifiable. That is why Rose’s books on being an empath were such a revelation for me. Because my biggest talents are not easy to identify. When I was growing up, the fact that nobody talks about those talents blinded me to their existence.

I enjoyed reading about everyone’s talents, both expressed and latent. David, I have always thought it funny how children so strenuously resist being molded by parents, but are so very influenced by parent’s auric modeling.

Zelda says:

Very interesting comments!

There were a few comments in a recent thread that I now can’t find that touched on invisibility, a topic that ties in here, too. I remember David writing about it.

I’ve been thinking about that lately, as I move toward a more public presence online. Oooh, the invisibility kicks in!

Zelda says:

This was funny tonight…I have a lovely Chinese student in my accent class who’s a film student and wants to follow me around and film me for a documentary on the work I do.

Oooooh, has the old invisibility cloak been kicking in! Discomfort at being seen in that way!!

Zelda says:

I’m wondering if others have bumped up against the invisibility cloak that is used to keeping them hidden.

An interesting discovery, given my goals and dreams.

Perhaps this will be a way to move through it. Surprised by the surge of shyness that’s come up!