How my career developed. A guest post by ZELDA

A big, blazing purpose, like the sun. Do you need that to become successful?

A big, blazing purpose, like the sun. Do you need that to become successful?

Ooh, dare I write this? There’s more to life than passion. There’s more than some big flaming sense of LIFE PURPOSE.

Admittedly, this is a counter-culture way to look at career. In New Age spirituality. In many Christian circles. Elsewhere, too.

People talk incessantly, it seems, about following your dream.

Well, what if you don’t find a big, shiny dream? Does that make you deficient? Will you never be able to find happiness or success?

Ha, as if!

At our online community, energetic literacy skills bring us perspective. And yet that’s not dogma. Reading life deeper with skills for aura reading etc. just broadens perspective, helping us to overcome popular illusions that can sound so sweet yet taste so bitter.

Well, hooray for self-authority, rather than falling for popular illusions! And hooray for the diverse comments at our recent blog post on How to make wiser choices with energetic literacy.

Recently ISABELLE shared her story in a guest post. Well, today’s treat is a very contrasting guest post from ZELDA. As usual, I have added headings, links, minor edits. And the voice, singing loud and proud, belongs to… ZELDA.

Success can come one practical step at a time

Very interesting discussion. It gave me the opportunity to reflect on my own career path, and it seems that I’ve done something similar to what you describe, KYLIE, in your Comments 3-4, 7-10, and 19.

I started out teaching English as a Second Language, then got a Master’s in it and taught in universities and abroad.

Then I wanted to explore my artistic talents, so I got a job at an art college, working with international students who studied art and design. It just happened, how I began teaching ESL and helping them in their art classes.

Just doing my best at my job led to something special

Opportunities arose that I seized. What transpired over a few years? I specialized in teaching pronunciation and improving students’ accents in English. In particular, I helped advanced students who wanted to keep improving.

I became known for that. In turn, that led to teaching gigs at other universities, and then some companies.

I’ve been in the process of developing my own company doing this work. And I’ve basically created my own unique system and approach for the work.

Doing Thrill Your Soul Aura Reading Research with Rose along the way has helped enormously.

[Note from that Rose: See this, Blog-Buddies? There was not one big plan. There was just one step at a time.]

Opportunities for career advancement abound

At the thread under discussion, the topic came up about the public vs. private sector, and opportunities for innovation, and being appreciated for it…

Wherever I’ve worked in the U.S., I’ve been able to be innovative and have the quality of my work be recognized in public universities.

My strategy for years has been to just always keep my eyes open for opportunities, no matter where I’m working.

Once upon a time, I worked at a private, for-profit university. This one was the worst environment I’ve ever experienced in terms of recognizing employee talent and rewarding it.

So I’d not worry too much about the sector in these types of things. Just look for opportunities.

Isabella C says:

That sounds like really fascinating work, Zelda. I’ve always had an undeveloped side interest in voice…. what a magical topic. Accents are fascinating.

Very interesting Zelda. It does sound like fascinating work, and I like your approach of always looking for opportunities. On the question of recognizing employee talent and rewarding it, I feel like that really comes down to organizational culture, and can vary so much from one organization to another (whether it’s public or private.) I work for two different public libraries who are amazingly different from each other in that respect. In one library, I’m an invisible cog in a wheel. In the other library my talents are recognized and in demand.

Julie says:

That’s interesting, Kylie, about the two work cultures being so different, in terms of being valued.

Kira says:

Very interesting, Zelda.

The one job I had that seemed likely to lead to something else was machining. My company would have paid for me to take mechanical engineering classes if I were able to get A’s in them, and I was confident I could do that. But 9/11/2001 hit our company hard enough that they had to lay off people for the first time in their history by early 2002, and I was one of them.

David FB says:

Thanks, Zelda

Life is funny that way. We’re busy making plans while life organizes something better. I’ve noticed this tendency gets more and more, the more we’re in the flow of life. Paying attention to what is here rather than supposed to’s and such. Or living in a dream of what might be.

Rachel says:

I also think that cultural differences come into play here, somewhat.

I’ve heard countless tales from business people here in the UK who’ve been in awe at the ease and freedom they have to innovate when they’ve worked in the US.

America may have fallen from grace in the last few years, but I still think you’re blessed in terms of being a country where hard work, creativity and innovation are really valued 🙂

Lilian says:

I’ve been enjoying comments about all of this in the last few blog posts.

It’s all about being an adult, isn’t it?

Lilian says:

Hopefully, you get a good enough childhood and adolescence that you have some understanding of where your strengths are.

Then you have to be resourceful and grab at opportunities.

Hopefully you understand more about how you function and how that fits into the types of jobs that are available.

Lilian says:

On the whole, and from a historical perspective, it’s a pretty interesting economy to be participating in.

Just a hundred years ago women could either be wives or prostitutes. I always remember that when I get frustrated with work.

Lilian says:

It’s a very 19th century Victorian perspective that your ability to generate money is linked to your value as a human and your moral standing.

Sometimes it doesn’t seem as though that kind of thinking has changed.

Lilian says:

The tricky thing about life is that it’s not all about one thing. It’s about balance between many things.

Thinking your whole value is linked with work diverts energy from family, friendships, relationships and many other things that make life worth living.

Julie says:

I guess career could be looked at like a game of Frogger- the popular video game from the 1980’s.

You were a frog that had to hop across the stream, but it was too big to hop in one jump.

So you jumped from one lily pad to another. And they were moving all the time, which made it harder.

But if you looked carefully before you leaped, you could land on a lily pad rather than going Splash! in the water.

Julie says:

But on the other hand, you couldn’t delay too long either, or get too comfortable on any one lily pad. You had to move!

Sarah says:

Julie, what a great analogy! I love it 😀

I definitely have that “Frogger” feeling in my life sometimes.

And boy, no kidding about balance. I feel like it used to be easier for me to achieve balance in life, like I could take my eyes off of a part of my life for a little while, and it would still be okay when I got back to it. Now I feel like, in order to take proper care of each area of my life (work, pets, chores, hobbies, spirituality, …), I am constantly hopping from one to the next to the next to the…

Man, couldn’t Earth School come with a summer vacation? 😛

David FB says:

Hi Sarah

Earth school does come with a vacation. We call it death. 😉 You can have a timeout then if you want.

Sarah says:

Ha ha, David! 😉

All right. Fair enough. Careful what I wish for! I guess I better get back to my studies, then. Maybe next semester I can take a lighter course load. 😛

Zelda says:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments!

Isabella and Kylie, yes, it is fascinating work, lots of fun, too. As I’ve grown, new layers have come into the mix.

There’s the great fun of playing with language, which is something I’ve always loved.

More and more, there’s the aspect of helping people in the transformation that occurs when they are able to express themselves more fully. More personality expressed, more emotional nuance, more confidence, greater ease in connecting with others, like that. Really fun and rewarding.

Zelda says:

As for the one-step-at-a-time approach….

I’ve seen how keeping my vision in mind of what I want to create has guided me. Once I’d cleared out enough STUFF to even have a vision! 🙂

Then, like the steps Julie describes, it’s been about keeping my eyes and ears open for opportunities and seizing them.

Glancing back at this path, I see how useful the pacing has been because there have been shifts in consciousness along the way, especially related to my consciousness about money and interacting with students and colleagues.

It takes a minute to integrate those shifts sometimes.

Kira says:

I like the Frogger analogy, Julie!

I think I’m playing an adventure game instead. Picking up everything I find that looks useful, discovering I can trade some of it to others along the way, and occasionally running long and involved errands for them to get something I want.