How Wise Is It to Speculate About Past Lives?

Curious about your past lives?

Curious about your past lives?

Past lives may intrigue you or not. Either way: Don’t speculate about your past lives. Get expert help or leave it alone. Learn more here.

• “Maybe Caitlin Jenner is transgendered because most of her past lives were female.”
  • “I’m sure I haven’t lived on earth for a very, very long time.”
  • “Two different psychics have told me about my past lives. Because they both told me the same kind of thing, I’m positive that what they told me is true.”

What do these ideas about past lives have in common?

It’s a touchy subject. Past lives are a very touchy subject.

Every thought or feeling or belief that you have about past lives — it’s tremendously personal.

Today I would like to share my perspective. Not because I know everything about past lives. But because sometimes I do professional work in the field of past-life regression.

Yes, one part of the work I do in the field of Energy Spirituality is to use skills for a particular form past-life regression known as Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis®. In fact I did one of those sessions on the same day I am writing this article.

For years I have done sessions like these regularly. I’m a certified instructor with the National Guild of Hypnotists, I train hypnotists. And, further, I train people in the particular method of past-life regression that I’ve developed, Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis®.

Having facilitated past-life regressions for close to 20 years, I have more than what you would call a casual interest on the topic of previous incarnatons 😉

Right off, I’ll tell you that I have a very, very strong reaction when I read statements like those listed at the top of today’s article. That is what has motivated me to share my point of view with you.

What’s the point of learning about your past lives?

Accurate information can be inspiring. Insightful. Or consoling.

However, there can be huge problems with speculating about your past lives. Or anybody else’s.

To me, the main reason for learning about your past lives is to overcome problems, not inadvertently create them.

Here’s a recent example, so we can start with something uplifting

Gladys wanted to remove frozen blocks causing sexual fears. In session she was guided to safely experience whichever events had contributed most to those fears. She wound up experiencing incidents from a completely different lifetime. When she lived in Belgium, and her creepy, crazed father molested her regularly.

In Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis you never just re-live a horrible incident, nor do you abstractly gather information about it as though it’s an interesting tale in a cosmic storybook. (Most other methods of past-life regression do fall into one of these two categories, incidentally.)

During her session, Gladys permanently removed STUFF and then received PUT-IN for a stronger expression of her soul — hence the term “Soul Energy Awakening” Hypnosis. Gladys emerged from her hypnotic trance… glowing.

During the debriefing part of our session she told me, “Ever since childhood I’ve been scared of men, older men. I always wondered if maybe my father did something incestuous when I was little, and then my conscious mind just blocked it out.”

Nope. Gladys had come into this lifetime with frozen blocks from many lifetimes ago, and they had been energetically triggered by the presence of her father and others. Nobody had touched her inappropriately in this lifetime.

Weeks later, Gladys confirmed that this had been a life-changing session for her. A beautiful big deal!

Had Gladys brought that same problem to another practitioner or modality, her experience might have been very different. She might even have brought up false memories.

Isn’t false memory a big enough problem without adding speculation?

Facilitating past-life regression is a huge responsibility. One problem is that, if the practitioner lacks skills, the client can blame current people for problems that didn’t originate in this lifetime.

For instance, what might have happened if — rather than receiving that session of permanent aura-level healing — Gladys had done a few psychic readings to understand her fear of men?

Personally, I think it’s very important to understand that a reading is not a healing. Of course, everyone doesn’t agree with me on that one. Besides there could be plenty of reasons for Gladys to ask a psychic to give her a reading about events that occurred in past lifetimes. And a skilled psychic definitely could do that.

Think about what you know about auras so far, Blog-Buddies. Probably you know that they are loaded with information. Just one part of all that subconscious information is stored in the chit, or storehouse of impressions. This contains every incident that has ever happened to you as a soul.

• Every incident in this lifetime and
  • Every incident in every other lifetime you have had so far
  • Plus information about everything that has happened to you between incarnations, when you are hanging out in a celestial loka or heaven.

Here’s a potential problem with psychic readings about past lives

Every psychic is not well trained. So it a scenario like this isn’t far fetched:

Gladys asks the psychic, “Tell me the causes of my sexual fears.”

• And then Psychic Zorro makes contact with ideas and images floating around in Gladys’s aura. These actually come from a past life in Belgium. Zorro accurately grabs these parts of Gladys’s story and then she inaccurately interprets them in terms of Gladys’s PRESENT father.
  • Later Gladys might go to Psychic Yvonnne, asking the same question. She might receive the same information. Ooh, validation? Well, yes. Accuracy? Not really.
  • Or perhaps Psychic Xerxes interprets those parts of Gladys’s story in terms of a past life in Europe. He gets that part absolutely accurately. Only this is a reading, not a healing.

Consequently while he describes the details, what happens to large frozen blocks that are stuck in Gladys’s aura from those incident?

They become energetically triggered. These major frozen blocks of stuck energy start to shake, flooding her conscious mind with discomfort. Then Gladys consciously has to deal with that kind of problem for months or years. (And, ironically, she may never ever connect this discomfort to her wonderful psychic reading with Xerxes.)

You see, Blog-Buddies, past-life information is not easy for the conscious mind to access. It is buried very, very deeply in the subconscious mind. Casually toying with that information is simply not wise.

But what’s wrong with just playing around, guessing or gossiping?

Hey, free speech is not a crime.

Personally, though, I would not recommend chit-chatting about past lives just for fun. Life is full of potential for fun, right? There are plenty of other things to gossip about, if you’re curious about Caitin Jenner or anyone else.

Or you could satisfy some of your curiosity by exploring that person with energetic literacy, aura reading skills. That would be different from gossip. Personally, I think it’s really important to distinguish deeper perception in all its forms from idle gossip.

How about having strong feelings about your past lives?

Oh, Blog-Buddies, you know there are two really important components of knowing that kind of information. Self-authority is immensely important. And so is skill.

In innumerable ways a person could be way off the mark about past lives, speculating with self-authority and imagination — and even bolstered by psychic readings — but lacking skill.

I could give you so many examples from my work with clients. Here’s just one.

“I haven’t had a human incarnation in hundreds of years.”

Sure, Joe believed that.

We did many sessions of Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis. They helped Joe a lot. Souls often incarnate in other worlds or other life forms. That doesn’t keep someone like Joe from getting big frozen blocks in those lifetimes. Frozen blocks that can limit him in THIS lifetime. I helped Joe move out big-deal frozen blocks from non-human incarnations.

As Joe continued to evolve in this lifetime, he became better adjusted to being human. And then, lo and behold! When we did sessions of Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis, his inner self was willing to take him to human incarnations as well. So we could move out large frozen blocks from those incarnations as well.

Sure he had lived many human-type lifetimes over the past centuries.

Had Joe gone to psychics he could easily have come to the conclusion that he hadn’t incarnated on earth for hundreds or thousands of years. Although he sure had. Because that information was still buried protectively very deeply within his storehouse of impressions.

How can you trust information about your past incarnations?

Maybe you’re wondering, as somebody who is curious about past lifetimes. What can you do if you seek aura-level healing from problems that have their origin in a past life?

Then have a session of past-life regression with somebody who has really good skills.

Good skills?  As a smart consumer, you might ask that practitioner in advance, “Is this session supposed to bring me healing or just information?” And if healing is on offer, you have every right to inquire further, “What about your methodology helps a person to heal?”

• If you’re told, “Knowing and remembering will automatically bring healing,” you might wish to go elsewhere for help.
  • If you’re told, “I work with spirit guides and they will heal you,” you might wish to use your consumer smarts about The Romance of the Astral. And go elsewhere for help.
  • If you are told something sensible by a person you can trust, then go for it.

Here is a list with contact info. about me and the apprentices I have trained in Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis. (Scroll down the screen and you’ll find it, as RES sessions are mentioned first.) These experts can definitely help you to receive aura-level healing, not just the equivalent of doing your own psychic reading under hypnosis.

If you feel really ambitious, here is a Top 10 Article with 10 more links to educate you about hypnotism and past-life regression.

What if you can’t find somebody local who would be qualified? You might be better off letting your past lives stay in the past (for now). Always, the present is your time of greatest power for spiritual evolution.

Kira says:

Gladys’s Belgian past life sounds uncomfortably close to what I believe is one of my past lives.

I did have the type of session that was just a reading, not a healing, but I had it because a specific incident from that possible past life came up in a dream and I found it subtly disturbing (it sort of sat in the back of my mind for years).

Lilian says:

Sometimes I think about spiritual/aura/past life education in a similar way to sex ed.

It’s not commonly accepted so that when people get confused by things coming “up” (lol :-p) they don’t know how to take it.

Lilian says:

When just believing that these things exist can label you as a crazy hippy, it can discourage you from finding proper answers and helpful perspectives.

Rose is 10 steps ahead of the game, as with everything she does. :-p

Lilian says:

Main positives about thinking about past lives for me was:

1 – As a teen, understanding that I had chosen this life, for whatever reason. I had always suspected pre-existence but realising how much choice goes in having a life on earth was empowering.

Lilian says:

2 – The thought came up again in my mid 20s.

I’ve had several boyfriends were things were immediately full on, and family things were rattling away.

The idea that I might be working through karma was helpful.

It made me feel a bit guilty that I wanted to leave these relationships.

I kind of feel that I’m onto fresh connections now, not ones heavily laden with some unknown past.

Lilian says:

3 – Positive feelings that I have accomplished a lot in past lives and can do so again.

I do have a lot of self authority and various strengths.

Lilian says:

4 – Thinking about whether to do the hypnosis with Rose.

I’m all about doing the most I can to help myself.

This brought up some vague thoughts about significant past lives in ancient times and also made me aware about reoccuring thoughts about not having been a human for a while.

In the end, I decided not to do the hypnosis as it all felt a bit confusing.

4a – A lot of frozen blocks from past lives have got removed from regular healing sessions. I might have over estimated some of the stuff.

Lilian says:

So none of this really contained detail.

The subconscious is a vague thing. It’s like touching an elephant blindfolded.

It’s hard to see the bigger picture, but sometimes you bump up against a large, wrinkly, strange feeling object in your mind. :-p

LILIAN, your perspective is so appreciated.

BTW, a technical point from your Comment 4a. It’s true, Blog-Buddies, that sometimes there can be a Healing Centerpiece for removing frozen blocks of stuck energy in regular sessions of aura healing transformation.

These would be small- and medium-sized frozen blocks. By contrast, a session of Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis — in person — is the best way I know to remove the large-sized frozen blocks.

Sarah says:

Lillian, I love your analogy with sex ed! That is such an apt comparison.

I have even experienced a similar “squirmy” reaction from people when I bring up something that is over their comfort line into “woo” territory (usually by accident)… They act like I’ve just brought up contraception and STDs over dinner, hah!

But then exactly what you described can happen… If something just “isn’t talked about,” then it becomes all the more confusing when it does come “up” (haha!).

Sarah says:

I know for me, when I first found Rose and this blog, I was immediately drawn to her Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis sessions. I had never done past life work before, and for the life of me, I couldn’t say why I was so attracted to it then, but I was.

I made up a big dramatic story for myself about how it was probably critical for me to go back and relive some experiences of being a sexual predator in another life in order to make peace with some things that happened in this life. I remember feeling all of this drama and horror about it!

Sarah says:

And the best part for me now is that after having done some of those sessions, the healing has had a huge effect in my life…

And all of that drama I used to associate with past lives is totally gone.

Sarah says:

My feeling now is more along the lines of, “Oh yeah, I probably had xyz experience before. Probably most of us have, by now.”

And there isn’t the same charge or feeling of desperation for me.

Sarah says:

Sometimes when chatting casually, people will say things to me like, “Do you think we have had a past life together??”

And now I react with something like, “Eh, probably, right? Maybe lots! Or maybe not.”

Sarah says:

The first time I was as surprised as they were (“Did I really say that?”), but… Yeah. I mean, if we really do live thousands of lives and tend to incarnate in groups, why not??

And maybe it isn’t such a big deal. Like oh hey, you again! Fancy meeting you here.

Sarah says:

And maybe it isn’t as important as what we do right now, this time around, at least as far as soul growth is concerned.

But the first time that thought occurred to me, it kind of blew my mind. Such a different perspective for me.

David B says:

I know what you mean, Rose. I cringe when I see those books and such that talk about how they were famous and everything was perfect. How many people have been Cleopatra?? Some encourage a kind of romance of the past thats all imagination.

I’ve found that the most likely way you’ll remember a past life is from a very strong memory impression. How likely is that to be something light and pleasant?

David B says:

I’ve had a few readings that talked about my past over the years. They’ve turned out to pretty mixed quality. Twice, their personal agenda completely overshadowed the reading. A tiny snippet of information was blown way out of proportion.

David B says:

While I have found the remembering process to be healing, it’s not the memories that healed, its the healing that took place that allowed the memories and resolved the charge.

It’s good to recognize the parts, otherwise you confuse the effects with the cause. Knowing you were once a sailor and died of scurvy may be interesting but heals nothing.

I’m loving these comments. Knowing about reincarnation has been such a helpful perspective for me over the years.

Like Lilian said, just the realization that I chose this life, and chose my family, was so helpful to me.

And like Lilian said, it’s not a big dramatic thing. We’ve all had such a large number of other lives.

It’s not the details of the lives that are important–it’s the themes that emerge from those lives, or as Rose calls it “the PhD programs” we’ve all engaged in, through out our lives.

Thoughts/feelings/patterns we’ve experienced many times in many different guises. Healing stuff as it crops up in this life is the important thing.

Nonetheless, in healing sessions with Rose, when small snippets of past life information has come up, it has always been very interesting to me.

Knowing why some people feel like family from the first time you meet them or other people feel like enemies.

When I researched languages, it was fascinating to me to discover why some languages I take to like a duck takes to water and other languages are more of an uphill battle.

All that I’ve learned about past lives has taught me to just trust my own perceptions: whatever the surface reality seems to be, there is no doubt a past history behind it.

Zaria says:

Hello Rose,

This is a very honest post and I can totally see where you are coming from.

There are different therapists who will present different methods to the clients but it is up to them to decide what resonates with them and what not.

Zaria says:

I will agree with you that past lives is a very touchy topic and those who are interested should at least have a free consultation first with the therapist so as to see what to expect.

Zaria says:

Now when it comes to different opinions of therapists or psychics concerning past lives, the past life regression or the past life reading may vary depending on what the practitioner picked up from the soul contract.

Zaria says:

There are many aspects when it comes to that because a psychic may had glimpses from a completely different lifetime than the one the past life therapist saw.

Nonetheless, as an expert I would advise someone who is interested in past life regression to follow their intuition and filter the information they get from the therapist.

So ask yourself “Does it resonate with me?” and “Do I feel that what they told me is true?”.

Zaria

Rose Rosetree says:

ZARIA, you’ve made some interesting points. First off, thank you for reminding us all of the importance of self-authority.

Rose Rosetree says:

But when it comes to using feelings to “filter” information from a professional in any field, including someone who facilitates past-life regression…

There you remind me of perspective in “The New Strong” about not ignoring what people actually say or do, in favor of how you feel.

Which, I gather, is what you mean by the idea of filtering.

Rose Rosetree says:

An extreme example was highlighted recently in The Washington Post, where President Trump was asked for evidence to back up the claim that President Obama demanded a wiretap of him.

Trump kept reiterating his BELIEF. Absent any proof in objective reality. Here’s a link to a similar article.

Rose Rosetree says:

Regarding the idea in your Comment #27, you’re painting the picture of past-life regression as depending on psychic readings or what a “past life therapist saw.”

A similar implication was in your Comment #26.

And I’m sure you spoke here, not only for yourself but for many who work as either psychics or past-life therapists.

Rose Rosetree says:

However, not everyone who facilitates past-life regression is either a “therapist” or a psychic. For instance, I’m definitely neither. Nothing in RES involves psychic development. That’s beloved by many, but not the kind of work I do, or write books about, or teach.

Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis® is distinctive enough to have a trademark. Any of you who are curious can learn more about it, starting here.

Rose Rosetree says:

Just one more point, if I might, ZARIA. This time, related to your advice that “those who are interested should at least have a free consultation first with the therapist so as to see what to expect.”

Professionals do not necessarily meet with clients to give free samples. This one doesn’t, with exceptions like the talk I’ll be giving at the next Pathways Expo, the first Sunday in April.

Rose Rosetree says:

My policy, instead, is to start with a regular 55-minute session of RES Energy HEALING.

Not only can I help the client that way. And not only can the client get a sense of what to expect from being in session with me.

Rose Rosetree says:

Besides that, I can assess if that client would be a good candidate for hypnosis and past-life regression. One way or another, I can help clients with emotional and spiritual growth.

Speaking of honesty, as you initially did, ZARIA — it’s a little secret among those who facilitate past-life regression that clients aren’t necessarily ready for that. So I’d prefer to sort things out that way, apparently different from what you prefer in your work with clients, based in Chicago.

Rose Rosetree says:

But there is so much beautiful work done by practitioners with different models for doing past-life regression, especially when they have both effective skills and integrity. ZARIA, I was impressed that you led off by referring to honesty.

Isn’t that one of the most important ways for practitioner and client, both, to proceed!

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here, ZARIA.

Wishing you well!