Memories Change as We Grow Spiritually. A Guest Post by DAVID B.

What a great feeling, to set yourself free from harsh memories of past events!

What a great feeling, to set yourself free from harsh memories of past events!

Blog-Buddy DAVID  B. was inspired to write this article by some back-and-forth comments about free will here. He is sharing this guest post.

A lengthier version appears at his wonderful blog, as he explores various ways that the very sense of self changes with higher states of consciousness after crossing the threshold into Enlightenment.

At this blog, our focus is more about human life, success and personal development. I content myself with helping members of this blog community to move forward on a personal path to Enlightenment, sometimes helping people to cross that threshold.

So when your comments are invited below, they could be about how Enlightenment has altered your relationship to the past. Or you might be more interested in how the impact of your memories has changed. Might removal of STUFF have something to do with that?

One way or another, are unpleasant memories as sticky now? Do they drive you as much?

Okay, now it’s David’s turn to get you thinking and making connections. Maybe even some Aha!s that you will remember for years to come. 😉

Our relationship with memories changes as we grow.

Just consider NOW something that you remember from when you were about eight years old.

While the idea of the event remains, you are remembering it from how you are now, not how you were then.

Your changed perspective changes both the context of the memory and some of it’s qualities, like importance.

Also, in the remembering and the telling, our self-story about memories tends to change over time. We reinforce what has become important to us and forget those details that are less so.

This changes what we remember over time.

Our brains are very fluid, constantly being changed by new experiences. If memories are not reinforced, the connections for easy access will tend to be edited out.

This does not erase the memory itself, just easy access to it. But certain circumstances may trigger it again.

Why aren’t memories simple?

There are close to 100 billion neurons in the typical adult brain, so a great many back roads. I

t’s also worth noting that memory impressions are first processed biologically with an associated emotional charge. If the event had no charge, it is soon forgotten.

• What did you have for lunch two days ago?
  • What about that fight you had with a friend last year?

Each person’s brain is an associative machine. So it will not only associate related memories, it will associate related emotions.

For example, what if you have a fear response to two different men? For unrelated reasons, you’ll tend to get that fear response with anything that reminds us of either one of these men.

The fear may even generalize to be about all men or all of a certain type of man.

This association process happens before the sensory input even becomes conscious.

This also means that emotions are already intertwined with what we see and hear as we become aware of them.

Spiritual awakening can change memories even more

With growth in consciousness, there is another kind of change with memory.

With the initial shift of Self-Realization, we shift from being a “me” or individual person to recognizing ourselves as pure consciousness itself (or related terms).

Our self-sense changes markedly.

As a result, the perspective we have of our memories changes too. They were the memories of a me.

Over time, as those memories come up again, they are seen in the new context.

The old charges fall away, along with a lot of the  stories. Many of those old associations fall way as well.

This considerably simplifies the mind and emotions, and we get a lot less noise with our daily experiences.

If we’re actively engaged in inner healing prior to awakening, some of this is already taking place. It simply accelerates a great deal after the shift because of the change in perspective.

Of course, as there is a growing background of profound peace, then happiness, much of the drama looses its purpose and weight. too. Another aspect of this change is the winding down of attachments and identification.

Hi David,

This is fascinating. I have been learning about that association of related emotions issue through RES healing sessions, learning that often an unpleasant incident with one person is problematic not so much in itself but because of all of the associated frozen blocks that the incident triggers. One person’s small betrayal triggers the memory of other worse betrayals, and all of the associated thoughts/feelings/body tensions.

For me since enlightenment what I find is that I don’t have any need to tell stories about my past life. My past just isn’t important to me.

Sometimes I still tell my stories, because they are good stories and I think might help somebody else. But I don’t have the kind of need that I used to, to process those stories by talking to someone else. There isn’t any traumatic charge there anymore.

Kira says:

Kylie, I notice this too, even though I’m not living in enlightenment yet.

In fact, I was recently talking to a close friend about my cancer diagnosis, and in the process of reassuring her that I’m doing okay, I told her the story of what I remember as the worst time of my life (after asking if she wanted to hear it!)–because part of what made it the worst was that I was about to leave for home (long distance) after visiting her. (The reassurance was that finding out I have cancer is not the worst thing that’s happened to me.)

She told me she was sorry for making me relive that memory, and I was able to respond that I hadn’t relived it, just remembered it.

Kira says:

For anyone who has not seen the movie “Inside Out” yet, it illustrates really well David’s first point above, about how memories change with age and how emotional charge drives them.

Hi Kira, You may be close. I haven’t yet seen that movie, I’ll put it on my list. I heard it was good.

Hi Kira
    You make a great point, that difference between remember and “relive”. In one we just recall, neutrally. In the other we bring the charges along for the ride. The whole drama is engaged. Not necessary when the charges are relieved.

David B says:

And I agree. Inside Out wonderfully shows how the same memories are changed by different emotions. Also, how all emotions have a role and shouldn’t be resisted. But nor should they be harboured…

Hi Kylie
    Yes, and the association is biological too, as we studied in my brain physiology course.

Most amazing is that protection mechanism that makes the emotional associations even before the sensory input has become conscious. Our day to day experiences are pre-filtered with emotional associations.

David B says:

Add to that the emotional associations with memory and you have the agitating mess so many people live with. And think it “normal”.

No wonder so many are in shutdown or addiction. Anything to avoid how they feel. I was surprised to see in a workshop that many people experience their inner world as an empty, scary place, they’re so disconnected from it.

David B says:

You will find over time, Kylie, that life circumstances bring old stuff to the surface. Areas you thought were clear have a new nugget. It tends to come as a surprise as we become used to a peaceful internal life. And suddenly, a little drama.

But with the clarity and RES skills, it becomes pretty straightforward to clean up.

David B says:

Rose – I have a question for your observations. Some of these deeper impressions or Sanskaras have a quality some call a “blind spot”. They can pop up in experience unexpectedly, triggering reactive behaviour – even in the very awake.

Would you attribute this quality of being somewhat hidden to frozen blocks?

David B says:

I ask because I’ve seen this dynamic in action. I can review the energy and see nothing there, then have something activate and become visible later.

The blindness tends to be with ourselves only. Others don’t have the same invisibility thing.

David B says:

Perhaps the visibility thing relates to familiarity- we don’t see the obvious known. A little like we fail to recognize empath gifts because we’ve had them since birth. They’re just part of the landscape.

Interesting question in your Comment #11 here, DAVID.

Frozen blocks can cause many problems. Every one can contain emotions, energy, images, thoughts, faulty cognitions, and more. There can be process-related patterns as well, such as denial. For sure.

The conscious mind can’t begin to compute what is there. And even if we could figure out this content, that won’t remove a frozen block.

I wouldn’t use skills of energetic literacy for this purpose, either. It would go under the big category of “Waste of Time.” 😉

That is why RES, at a professional level, includes different skills for related energy HEALING. None of these skill sets are appropriate to be taught in book form. Or over the Internet, etc.

Some powerful RES skill sets are taught for self-healing are being taught, though. You’ll see them listed in my current book catalog under the series called “Energy HEALING Skills for the Age of Awakening.”

David B says:

To the question re: my comment 9 – this was an experiential workshop where people described their experience.

It is interesting to reflect – some of them had been going biannually to these for 20 years. They had gotten stage 2 literacy at best. More understanding but not good skills. Makes such a difference when the teaching comes with skills you can apply.

David B says:

It’s also worth reflecting on such perceptions. An empath experiences something of what it is to be another person, depending on the doorway or gift they have.

But they always experience it from where they are in development, not where the other is. In other words, they have a sense of it, but not the same experience.

David B says:

Someone with the ability to look inside anothers body – be it physical, energy, or more subtle – will see to their ability and clarity at that time.

Just like an xray machine will see one way and a sonograph another.

Rose – re comment 14-15

I see your point. If someone enlightened with refined perception can’t see them easily, it takes more sophisticated skills for that level of subtlety.

Zelda says:

I’ve just had a fascinating experience in relation to the topic of memories.

Seven years ago, when I moved across the U.S. to where I now live, I stored a bunch of photo albums and scrapbooks at the home of a relative. She recently shipped them to me.

Zelda says:

Today I decided to go through the boxes. Besides the fun of seeing the “quaintness” of actual old school photographs and all the tickets and other things I carefully saved, it was really fun to look through them and to simply enjoy the positive memories.

I’ve done so much healing that there is simply no charge any more in relation to those times.

Zelda says:

This is amazing to me considering that during some of those years, I had a fairly constant, underlying sense of all the angst that being a highly sensitive, unskilled empath with many major cords of attachment can bring.

Zelda says:

Today, I could see the sweetness, fun, and warmth that the various photos conveyed. The soul thrill was evident and I’m grateful to be able to remember that, having gone through phases of the “stuff” basically overshadowing the memories of the soul thrill.

What a pleasant surprise this has been!

Dana says:

For Whatever it’s worth, I have had hand readings which speak to blind spots. Apparently there are markings in the hands which show ones gifts, but also ones blind spots. It seems as though blind spots are part of the make up…

Hi Dana
    Yes, I’ve had hand and fingerprint readings too. Gifts and blind spots or lessons or karma. The big things we’ve come to learn and the tools we’ve earned or need for the journey.