What is the Age of Awakening?

Following your path in the Age of Awakening

Following your path in the Age of Awakening

True, the world didn’t explode. But did that mean nothing happened on 12/21/12?

Polls before that mystical date confirmed that millions of people were very, very worried that the world was going to end. Others of us were expecting heaven to touch down like a very successful football pass. And then you know what followed, right?

Did the sun refuse to shine? Did the moon turn red with blood? Nope. And the saints didn’t come marching in, either, as in the old song.

Consequently most people forgot how they had expected anything special. What big change?

Well I’m here to tell you that plenty has changed for all of us bipeds striding the earth.

Still, What Are We to Call It?

Old names have seemed awkward, not doing justice to that big change.

• The Age of Aquarius? So hippy-dippy.
  • The Aquarian Age? More sophisticated, but is this new age really to be just for astrology buffs?
  • The New Age? Despite the enormous financial success of the New Age movement, those teachings and preachings may not be terribly well adapted to the reality of this new age.

Not everyone living now is a New Ager. I haven’t been for decades. I consider myself more a Post-New-Age teacher and healer.

Yes, Post-New-Age?

“Heal Your Body” by Louise Hay thrilled me when it first came out. Affirmations were a revelation. I loved reading books by Unity ministers like Catherine Ponder.

This happened, of course, back in the 1980’s. It was part of the ramp-up, amp-up to The Shift into this new age, the Age of Awakening.

Maybe you lived through at least some of that time, Blog-Buddies. The veil grew ever thinner. It became easier than ever for ordinary people to access the astral and psychic experiences that, for centuries, had been inaccessible. Some of us even began to read energies in purpose. I know one woman, for instance, who spent 6 1/2 years writing a book called “Aura Reading Through All Your Senses.” That was begun at the end of the 1980’s.

I remember hearing a brilliant speech by the late publisher Jeremy Tarcher. When he spoke at the annual convention of the American Booksellers Association, he boldly predicted that the “New Age” category in bookstores would soon disappear.

Why? Within decades, Tarcher said, every single new book that was published would be a book of the New Age

How my heart thrilled at the prospect. Because, back then, I believed in the promise of the New Age.

Enter the Romance of the Astral

Unlike that idealistic picture that once inspired me and still may inspire many others, what actually happened with New Age spirituality? The outcomes haven’t been pretty, not to this aura reader.

With the rise of Hay House came interest in angels, big interest. An interest that, for many, is now tantamount to worshipping angels. This has led to a big social problem that I call “The Romance of the Astral,” an emphasis on otherworldly and energetic solutions to human problems

Based on aura-level research that I have done helping clients, millions of hard-working idealists began to develop spiritual addiction. Instead of moving more rapidly into a higher state of consciousness, as hoped, they become relatively stuck spiritually. Sadly, they also became relatively ineffective humanly, living a mere fraction of their full potential in life.

What came as the next big thing in New Age? Channeled writings of Abraham-Hicks. By then, people already in spiritual addiction were living the financial consequences: Diminished earning power.

This coincided with economic problems in America, and elsewhere, toward the end of the century. Before Y2K and ever since, the income gap between rich and poor has been growing exponentially. No wonder so many spiritual seekers became desperate and sought relief through Law of Attraction practices.

Sadly this has only deepened spiritual addiction. Does all this come as a new and unpleasant idea to you, Blog-Buddies? Then I invite you read a very thoroughly researched how-to book about making more money. Making money in reality, not on a dreamboard.

So Much Is Different in This Age of Awakening

Although millions have continued to be fascinated by psychic-level practices, another trend began developing after The Shift: Spiritual seeking with an emphasis on Self-Realization.

Millions of people became actively interested in pursuing Enlightenment, a higher state of consciousness that lasts. Enlightenment even expands, over time.

With the psychic barrier gone, after 12-21-12, it became common for people to have spontaneous moments of awakening, beautiful experiences of Divine vibrational frequencies.

Some spiritual seekers believed awakening meant the same thing as Enlightenment, state in which somebody is spiritually awake.

However, that belief is an illusion. Awakening does not mean long-term “Spiritually Awake.”

Energetic literacy skills sure smash that illusion right up. For instance:

Unfortunately mainstream culture has begun to celebrate illusions like these. Which is why people like me, and maybe you, are distancing ourselves. We have gone Post-New-Age.

No longer are we living in the Shift decades leading up to the Age of Awakening. We are living in the actual age, though early years yet.

It’s Time to Properly Name this Time in World History

I’m calling it the “Age of Awakening” because of… all the spiritual awakening. Celebrating the luscious and lavish potential for personal growth!

Blog-Buddies, how do you like living in a new age that is NOT about Romance of the Astral! Or spiritual addiction! Or trying to make money in ways that do exactly the opposite of what has been promised!

What are your dreams for this Age of Awakening? Social dreams. Relationship dreams. Sexual dreams. Knowledge dreams.

Will you awaken all the way into Enlightenment? That is the beauty of this age. For the first time on earth, now is a time when millions of people can move into Enlightenment and do it as householders.

Of course, living at this historic era on earth, you may have more miraculous dreams than you can even name right now. May they all come true!

Kira says:

Just wanna say that I like this post. 🙂

KIRA, I like that like.

David B says:

My dream – that the Age of Awakening be like the New Age – a transitional phase into an Age of Enlightenment.

Awakening is a huge step up. But living a clean embodied awakening as Enlightenment, Big improvement.

Then the Age of Oneness? Or will we have an Age of Lila, a divine flowering first? Or just call it the Golden Age. 😉

DAVID, to me, this Age of Awakening is The Age of Enlightenment.

I just co-created that name because it goes down easier for people, may of whom have come to loathe the term “Enlightenment.”

Look at what Rick Archer does at his batgap website, for instance. Or a certain Davidya, referring to people becoming awake.

I think we’re doing the same preaching to the choir (of which both of us are members). Glad you made this point in your last comment.

an avid reader says:

I love the moniker “Age of Awakening”. It is so right.

What is very sad is that there are good people stuck in the hell of “Romance of the Astral” and they cannot understand why everything in their lives are so bad when they are and have been so darn “spiritual”. Many I know who are in what you call “spiritual addiction” are suffering needlessly because they have not been exposed to or else they cannot accept that what they are doing won’t work.

an avid reader says:

This may seem like a strange comment but I am wondering if there could be a softer and gentler name given to the concept of spiritual addiction. So much of people’s identity can be wrapped up in what these people are doing. They think they are serving God and being sporitual. I have found it difficult to convince these folks otherwise. They are on a Hamster wheel to nowhere and I see so much despair.

I recently had to walk away from a friend in spiritual addiction who is reading energy all day and “helping” everyone in her path with her off balance “spiritual” observations.

an avid reader says:

Maybe a positive term for what is advisable. In this Age of Awakening, it is important to practice spiritual moderation or spiritual/human life balance.

an avid reader says:

Years before I read about spiritual addiction, I was helping a friend who I would now say wS in extreme spiritual addiction. He was a follower of guru who died in the fifties and the same spiritual practiced this guru trained westerners in to raise theor energy is what the followers of this guru still practice today with disastrous results.

In vain, I tried to convince my friend that if his guru were still alive, he would be training his disciples very differently because it no longer requires the level of effort that it used to to reach higher states due to the changes in the influx of spiritual energy on planet earth.

AN AVID READER,thank you for this thoughtful series of comments.

Speak to your friends as best you can. Even better, invite them to have a session of aura healing and transformation with an RES expert.That way, you are not jeopardizing the friendship, doing the equivalent of an intervention. When few people even know what an “alcoholic” is. 😉

David B says:

😉 Yes, Rose, I think it’s a great name and have mentioned this elsewhere here.

I was just riffing on your dream comment. Doing the big picture. We shouldn’t underestimate what this means.

But sometimes, people don’t realize what kind of shadow they’re in until the lights come on.

Isabella C. says:

The term “Spiritual Addiction” is really, really valuable in a professional setting.

Avid Reader, there is a positive term in RES. Human-Based Spirituality.

an avid reader says:

Hi Isabella,

I realize how fitting the term “spiritual addiction” is. Using spirituality or anything as an escape is a process addiction.

I am simply sharing my experience of how the term spiritual addiction did not jive with several people I know who would more than likely fit into that catagory. Not sure if the term human based spirituality would work for them either as they view spirtualirlty type stuff as the highest possible thing.

As Rose mentioned, it is not always easy to point out to an “alcoholic” that they are one when they do not see themselves as such.

an avid reader says:

Linda Stone wrote a wonderful guest post about how the term spiritual addiction didn’t work for her in her first session with Rose. Fortunately for her, she was guided to do three sessions even though she wanted to quit (if I recall correctly) after the first session. (Linda, please feel free to correct me if I misrepresented what you wrote).

Sarah says:

I’ve felt very similar to what you describe, avid reader, when talking with some of my more astrally-oriented friends.

What I realized, however, is how icky-yucky-awful I felt when I thought about those friends trying extra hard for ME to see my “problem.” That is, living in human-based spirituality, which is actually no problem at all. But what if they saw it that way, and tried to “fix” or convert me?

an avid reader says:

I was/am looking for more inclusive language to describe what Rose does. The terms spiritual addiction and human based spirituality both work for me because I understand what they mean and neither term threatens my identity as a spiritual and human being on planet earth.

Sarah says:

As a friend and not their practitioner of any kind, I don’t feel right offering “diagnoses” of any sort. But I DO care about my friends, and many of them simply don’t know any different.

So I started doing something similar to what Rose suggested above. I will recommend her books, website, sessions as appropriate, and to the extent that they are interested, I will share my experiences as her client and student.

Sarah says:

I’m a big fan of “show’em what they’re missing” rather than “try to convince them they’re in the wrong.” Not that you would do that, either, I’m sure. 🙂 But this has been a helpful reminder for myself, since I really DO struggle not to “fix” the people I care about… which is REALLY not appropriate.

Or especially helpful, in the long run, since it isn’t supporting their free will and self-authority.

David B says:

Wise approach, Sarah. Some will “get it”, some not. But all you can do is point. 😉

Sophia says:

I would like to add to this thread. I can relate to the frustration of an avid reader. Several of my friends were told by a RES practitioner that they were dealing with spiritual addiction. Not that I have tried to convert anyone (psychic coercion). I have simply shared my experiences to the best of my ability.

If no interest is shown, I do not bring it up again.

But there haven’t been results, far as I could tell. I am having to distance myself from these friends and am still feeling sad about the loss.

Kira says:

I was actually wondering where to bring this up, and then I read the series of comments here.

I have been meeting a lot of people lately, and I have had several tell me some variation on “You have such great energy!” Well, I’m glad that people like my energy, but slightly concerned that they’re noticing it so vividly. I’m really not sure what to say to someone who is practically a stranger that might be helpfully educational.

So far, I’ve opted for just thanking them for the compliment. I just don’t know if I’m missing opportunities to teach.

Happy says:

I was like this for a while, everything had to be about energy and the astral.

I purchased a few books on psychic development and learnt them remarkably quickly.

Happy says:

After that, everything was about how I felt, how best I could ascend, and how to ignore everything that is NOT in the astral.

Happy says:

I think I stopped doing that quite so much when I moved out of a bad time in life and realized that there are things that are fun in the world.

At times I still show signs of spiritual addiction, I recently find that the exercises in become the most important person in the room helps with that a lot.

KIRA, might I recommend this? If someone comments on your great energy, refer them to this blog.

If you have had some sessions with me, say they have helped.

Just one time. It’s tasteful. Could be helpful.

Thanks to all of you who have been contributing to this thread.

An avid reader, I’m not done yet, exploring ways to help people understand this problem and what to do about it.

This article in particular might be helpful for some of you Blog-Buddies who are struggling with how to help friends: What is Spiritual Addiction? How to help your friends.

an avid reader says:

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your comments. I actually agree with and espouse your point of view more so than the vague terms I used in my comments suggest. I do not get involved in diagnosis, judging, assessing my friends’ spiritual practices or beliefs. I have chosen “walking away” over fixing something or offering unsolicited advice about things that are not mine to fix.

Just to clarify—in the case of my friend who studied with a guru years ago, my assistance was requested. At the time, I was working as an alternative practitioner in a field in which I had extensive training and supervision.

Since I am now working in a different field with a lot of demands on my time and energy, I would chose to make a referral. 🙂

Sarah says:

Kira–I’ve gotten that kind of comment from people, too, and it can be a bit weird!

Although I have to admit: even long before I learned about “energy” anything, that kind of language was just standard vernacular among my peers. I remember one compliment like that from one of my normal, everyday, sciencey-type classmates in college, not remotely spiritually addicted (more likely in shutdown, if anything).

Sarah says:

It was just his way of saying, “I like being around you and I can’t explain why in any normal language.” He even used the word “aura,” as in, “You have a nice aura about you!”

But I’m sure if I had pressed, he didn’t “believe” in auras in the technical sense. It was just part of the language my generation was/is using.

Back then, I didn’t think twice about it. But these days, especially if I suspect addiction, I definitely do what Rose says in comment #24. I can give credit to what has helped me, and in the process turn people on to a system and body of knowledge which is very safe and informative.

David B says:

Hi Kira
    This is actually something to get used to. As presence gets stronger, more will notice it.

Occasionally, you’ll have people triggered by it or who start purifying. And some will have weird or wonderful experiences around you.

David B says:

Just remember, it’s not personal. And it’s not about you but not everyone will understand the distinction between the person and the presence.

But you’ll also notice that hanging with others awake will make it stronger for both of you.

Emily says:

Hey Kira, I think I’ve noticed something similar last year. Someone who just declared that they (platonically) loved me and loved my “energy and approach to life” after knowing this person a week!

It was really nice because they are nice and pretty awesome themselves.

However I have also noticing the opposite as David has pointed out, people who don’t even like to be in the same room as me so much!

an avid reader says:

Hi Rose,

I am happy to hear you are not done exploring ways to communicate about spiritual addiction and what to do about it.

an avid reader says:

Due to the fact you are a pioneer on the cutting edge of defining and finding effective healing solutions, you are tasked with communicating about things people have never heard of.

This can make people uneasy to say the least. It can take a while for new ideas to saturate the mass consciousness —even in the filed of healing and spirituality.

an avid reader says:

New ideas can often be dismissed so much more easily than those that are widely accepted.

It is not surprising that the people who comment on your blog tend to be open minded, perceptive and critical thinkers— as well as a joy to read.

Which is one of the many reasons I am such an avid reader of this blog. 🙂

Lilian says:

Wow, that’s a different chain of comments than I was expecting.

It’s so sad that spiritual addiction is costing friendships. 🙁

Lilian says:

I guess the whole thing of judging the tree by its fruit is a good one.

People will get fed up with spiritual addiction eventually and want to try something more effective.

Lilian says:

The comments that came to my mind on reading the article were full of my usual 1000 miles an hour enthusiasm. I may as well share, to see if anyone can relate…

1 – I feel like a lot of “now” is about the future.

I’ve noticed that there are a few blog buddies are interesting in helping young people and children, and healing itself is about taking care of the future.

Lilian says:

2 – How we reach enlightenment is changing… lots of comments about this.

I kind of miss my simple meditation routine, but it’s not safe for the time being.

But this is also cool. It seems to me that we’re having to be a bit more focused and aware about how exactly we want to spiritually develop.

Lilian says:

3 – Are human level abilities (learnin..) going to be easier to gain? Like piano, programming, learning languages. Are our abilities to learn and adapt becoming more fluid?

Lilian says:

4 – For me in this lifetime, there has been an overriding feeling of something being near completion.

It’s these internal signs and experiences that I pay the most attention to. Can others relate?

Lilian says:

One bum note that I get about the future is the environment…

I feel humans are being a bit silly right now about it and hopefully we have enough time to keep living on earth sustainable.

Though most of that doesn’t belong on this blog. But if there are any environmental or animal empaths that have some insight on this, that would be interesting

Kira says:

Thanks, Rose, for Comment 24–don’t know why I didn’t think of that myself! :$

Kira says:

(Okay, my research on blushing emoticons seems to have been incomplete. Just pretend that there’s a blushing emoticon at the end of that comment.)

Kira says:

Sarah and Emily, glad I’m not the only one! My recent experience has mostly been with hospital workers; I really can’t tell if it’s just language or they are actually looking at my energy. But then, I’m willing to bet that I’m more upbeat and positive than most hospital patients, so it could very well be just descriptive language.

Kira says:

David, that’s good information to know. Thanks!

Kira says:

Lillian, your point 4 is the one I most relate to. I haven’t had that feeling of something being near completion, but I have had overriding feelings of being in the right place at the right time. Or of events in my life happening at the right time.

It’s sort of like noticing that things seem to be happening according to a well-executed plan (as if I were a made-up character instead of a real person whom random things happen to).

Most of the time, I don’t think about it very much, I just live my life. But there have been such weird synchronicities in my life, and instances of my gaining exactly the right skills just in time to deal with something I never would have thought I could deal with.

Kira says:

In high school, I started a running joke with my friends that I was a figment of the collective imagination. Later on, I decided that I lead a charmed life. I’ve since amended it, at least to myself, to leading a blessed life, but “charmed life” generally goes over better with most people, especially if they remember a certain old Prudential commercial.

Kira says:

Anyway, Lillian, I wonder if your sense of something being near completion and my sense of things going according to plan are related.

Lilian says:

Thanks for your perspective Kira. 🙂 It gave me something to think about.

Lilian says:

I feel the voice of Rose telling us that noticing synchronicities is part of the age of awareness/energy… So I thought to write that here.

Spending all our time looking for these things is a waste of our time, of course.

Lilian says:

I wouldn’t say my life was charmed, but I relate to a certain extent.

It seems that certain things are meant to be difficult and will never be solved, and others seem to progress quite quickly.

Lilian says:

For example, I’ve learnt my lessons about putting myself into situation where I’m not appreciated, and then I got contacted for a job with a bunch of nice people.

I now know I can count on a bit of help.

But maybe everyone gets some help if they’re in the right state (of mind/aura) to receive it.

Lilian says:

The feeling of nearing completion was something I got a lot in my teen years.

Even though things were difficult, it felt like if I could power through a few more “spin cycles” of difficult things with my will power, and then that would be done with.

Lilian says:

It’s was a gut feeling and I kind of feel it’s done with now.

Maybe it’s just optimism and determination….

Lilian says:

Anyway, age of awakening, sounds good if we can avoid the spiritual addiction.

It might be a bit like when people were prescribed opiates for minor health ailments in the 19th century, before society realised how addictive they were.

People didn’t know any better, and there was a lot of suffering and tragedy thousands got addicted.

Lilian says:

Avoidable, but still painful.

Now we know better, and addiction to opiates is more likely to be a choice someone makes than an accident.

Sarah says:

Lilian, your last two comments (#55 and #56): yes! I have been thinking the same thing about drugs and spiritual addiction.

Or how about the way everyone and their mom used to smoke cigarettes, and now we collectively “know better” though plenty still do.

It does strike me that we are in a sort of in-between time where everyone is discovering and “using” energy awareness, and it feels completely harmless to the average person because it’s still unclear to them what it even is. (When half the population denies the existence of something, it can’t be addictive, right??)

And eventually we will “know better” about this on a collective level as well. I like to think that Rose and RES are really helping with that.

Sarah says:

Sarah says:

Sarah says:

And eventually we will “know better” about this on a collective level as well.

I like to think that Rose and RES are really helping with that.

Carl Smuda says:

Reading this topic I felt anger. A review of what I’ve done to the lives of my wife and children and me.

I consider it pure Grace that I found help. It is exciting! It is a little scary.

It is like a Joni Mitchell song, “you can’t return you can only look behind from where you’ve been..” I go to work and home now with so much more time for real life on the ground. And it’s going to take some time to fix this mess.