Empath or Psychic, What's the Difference?

Psychic intuitive or empath, is there really much of a difference?

Psychic intuitive or empath, is there really much of a difference?

Do you consider yourself an empath or a psychic? Do you prefer to think of yourself as both? That matters enormously.

Your choice — and it can certainly be a choice — will have big consequences for:

• Your consciousness lifestyle (what you do with awareness in your waking hours)
  • Your relationships
  • Your sense of identity
  • Making money
  • How well your aura is doing
  • And the kind of work you do to help people

Today many talented people equate being empath with being a psychic. Or they assume that being one automatically causes them to become the other.

Wow, is that ever not true!

Cleaning this up matters. Mixing up psychic this and empath that amounts to far more than some little technical misunderstanding. What you don’t know can really mess up your life.

In my opinion. Of course everything that follows in this article will be my opinion, what flows from my professional experience, including skills at energetic literacy — aura reading to learn the truth all the way down to the level of chakra databanks.

What really matters? You decide. I’m adding to your knowledge base, that’s all. And maybe we’ll have some conversation in the COMMENTS section below.

Many people equate being an empath with being a psychic or intuitive. Some even put the words together — psychic empath or intuitive empath.

This creates a horrible mashup that has already been discussed a bit in this cautionary blog post for empaths.

Yesterday a related topic came up at my Empath Empowerment® Skills Group on Facebook. Some of our members were discussing whether they were also studying psychic development.

Reminded me how so many people don’t know the difference. In terms of your personal development this is like eating whatever food is available, paying no attention to nutrition or health consequences.

What if nobody taught you the difference between eating candy bars versus a balanced, nutritious meal? What if you assumed, “Yum, it’s all food. If I can put it in my mouth and swallow it, that’s all I need to know.”

As if! So today I’m going to begin a multi-part series to explore this very important topic in the depth it deserves.

Let’s start with some basic concepts.

What Is an Empath?

An empath has at least one gift for directly experiencing what it is like to be another person. Altogether I have identified 15 different gifts that an empath might have. Each one, alone, would qualify somebody to call yourself an empath for life.

Have you ever heard terms like “Emotional Empath” or “An empath feels other people’s feelings”?

To put it politely, that lacked nuance. Ideas like these are so distorted and simplified that they are distinctly unhelpful. I could cascade further down the slippery slope of direct speech, but let’s leave it right there. 😉

Now, to be practical: Might I suggest that you get yourself a copy of “The Empowered Empath: Owning, Embracing and Managing Your Empath Gifts“? Because there, in the expanded edition, you will learn the truth in enough detail to know the basics about what it means to be an empath, which gift is which.

You’ll be fully convinced not to mix them up, I suspect. And, if you were born as an empath, right away, you will have learned many important things about yourself.

What Is a Psychic?

A psychic is someone who pursues psychic development. Psychics have learned some skills to acquire knowledge and, maybe, to help people. Often psychics receive information about the past or future, or what is happening far away.

Some psychics do channeling or mediumship. Other psychics simply give readings.

What is the source of knowledge for a psychic? Some kind of spirit, or spirit guide, collaborates with the intuitive, or sensitive, or channeler, or medium — a.k.a. “The psychic.”

Let’s pause here.

And What about Being Energy Sensitive?

Everyone is energy sensitive now. We live in the Age of Awakening, folks. So it’s not just you, noticing energies.

Sure, you may know some people who are highly energy insensitive. They may mock you for speaking up. Well, these people would be in spiritual shutdown, as about 45% of Americans are (and so many millions of others around the world). In spiritual shutdown, a person is well defended against noticing energy ANYTHING.

This is a very Post-New-Age way of being a Highly INsensitive Person. People in spiritual shutdown pay for it, because their auras get junked up with gray slime, one of the 15 kinds of STUFF that blocks emotional and spiritual growth.

Basically, anybody living now who is NOT in spiritual shutdown is energy sensitive.

So if you are sorting our whether you are an empath or a psychic, at least you don’t have to confuse this significant choice with whether being energy sensitive makes your anything.

• Being energy sensitive does NOT mean somebody is an empath.
  • Being energy sensitive does NOT mean somebody is a a psychic.

All the more reason why it is important to define these two terms properly and decide for yourself what you are, what you choose to be, what to do next to support your way of being yourself.

Your Turn

Any questions so far? Share your ideas, please, Blog-Buddies. Of special interest, how many of you have encountered people who say things like “Psychics are empaths” or “Empaths are psychics”?

How many of you have been on Facebook groups or forums where the group became a big, enthusiastic combo of empath + psychic + whatever else? If so, what was the impact on you? Did that really make your life better?

Brandi says:

I have always wanted to know the answer to this so was happy to see the title of this article.

I just wanted to say as someone who used to get a lot of psychic readings to learn more about me, I have learned way more in RES sessions of aura research-it is like information in the now that is so much more valuable than a possible path that may or may not exist.

Brandi says:

So for curious consumers out there I recommend aura research when you are curious about a choice or a person.

A psychic reading I did told me a while ago that the person I am dating now could be my husband.

Aura research reveals a person in spiritual shutdown with little verbal or sexual integrity.

Brandi says:

Freewill allows me to make up my mind about what kind of partner I want. I am done with psychic readings that offer me a glimpse into some possible future fairy tale that isn’t there.

BRANDI, thank you so much for speaking up, speaking out.

I am so rooting for your free will.

Emily says:

Brandi I so agree. I used to get quite a few psychic readings about 5-8 years ago now. The information you get from RES is so much more enlightening and ACTIONABLE! Rather than vague pronouncements like “Don’t get too attached to your current boyfriend” you get to explore the status of a variety of actual chakra databanks, including how that boyfriend related to me!

Emily says:

And instead of just listening to whatever information comes up about my career, I can research a variety of my choices and see what the impact of them might have on my aura. Even just that helps you find out more about yourself as you learn why different choices have the impact they do!

Emily says:

Some of the psychic readings I have had were helpful. But mainly in a “boost my confidence” kind of way which encouraged me to try new things (that the particular psychic suggested). But they never removed any stuff that was limiting me from other choices that would have had a bigger more joyful impact on me. Choices that I would have never thought possible for myself until the particular stuff influencing me was removed.

Emily says:

And sometimes it is just the common sense that the RES approach brings that can help so much. Since it focuses on human-based spirituality, caring for the mundane human things is also considered important.

I’ve had sessions with Rose where I addressed such simple things as daily routines and bedtimes, something that I never ever had addressed in my life. Something that was impacting on my life (considering I’m a HSP) since I had always resisted bedtimes and hence was tired a lot and not happier for it.

Aura reading during the RES session helped me realise that if I had not achieved what I wanted to achieve that day (and not learned enough in particular) then I would feel a failure and resist going to bed. Rose gave me a very simple practical technique to track my days successes to help me with this.

David B says:

I’ve had a few psychic readings over the years. The quality was wildly variable, even with the same person. The main problem – the psychics themselves didn’t have good energy management skills so the vessel was distorted.

They’re also typically using astral sources for information which itself can be distorted, manipulated, etc.

David B says:

Your “What is a Psychic?” section also highlighted another issue to me – they don’t themselves discriminate the types all that much. Channeling is a very different animal with different effects than talking to the dead, for example.

Generally it seems its about connecting with information on the “other side” without discriminating the quality of the source. Or the energy issues that may accompany such connection.

David B says:

I recall going to a Spiritualist church one time. They invite the dead to “come through” during the service. One side of the room became very cold and heavy as someones violent deceased father showed up.

Is it a good practice to open such doors? And yet they also practice “energy healing” during and after such services. Do these things really go together? Will the dead help us live life?

Rachel says:

Interesting comments.

I agree that psychic readings can be very unhelpful – though it doesn’t necessarily feel like that at the time.

I have had my fair share of psychic readings too, in the past. I have learned from bitter experience that they are not the solution!!

Rachel says:

In my case though, I never went to psychics to learn more about myself or to find out about other people, but because I needed hope.

I think I mentioned in another comment something about seeking people who were wiser than me in order to get a higher perspective on a problem.

Rachel says:

Like that Einstein quote about not being able to solve a problem from the same level at which it was created, I have often been in a situation (and often still am!) where I simply cannot see solutions to my problems.

That is what has always made me long for outside advice, a higher perspective, someone to guide me and gently show me a way out that I couldn’t see before.

Rachel says:

With hindsight, I can see that all the psychic readings did was give me something akin to a short term sugar boost, a short term high that made me feel good temporarily before needing to face reality again!

Don’t want to repeat that cycle any more, for sure :-)!

Rose says:

And here’s the sweet irony, RACHEL, smiling at you in the mirror.

This blog — and all of Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES) — is about how to have a higher/deeper/wiser perspective at will.

Where YOU co-create with God. You learn and then use your skills.

Just exactly that longing, RACHEL. That’s what we’re about satisfying. Right. Here.

Tehya says:

Really enjoying these comments, thanks everyone.

Rose, is psychic reading always astral-sourced? I think some psychics would disagree, since there are techniques that specifically rely on working with spirit guides, and techniques that do not. But does it end up being the same?

I appreciate the distinction you have pointed out between being an empath, psychic, and energy sensitive.

Oh, I’m enjoying these comments too!

TEHYA, “always” is an awfully final-sounding word. Still, techniques do not have to involve spirit guides to be astral-sourced.

I have encountered many psychics who believe they are doing Divine work, and they are doing psychic work. Why would it be otherwise?

Kira says:

David, your comment 11 reminds me of an experience my psychic development group had once. The location we met at was a New Age store and lots of different kinds of psychically-inclined people used it for classes and readings.

Kira says:

As soon as we started to do our group meditation, we all noticed something wrong in the room; I got a crash course in shielding and protection from one of my guides. Two of our group who are practicing Druids noticed that there were portals open in the store and set about closing them.

Kira says:

They figured out that earlier in the day, there were readings going on, and one of the people doing them was basically opening portals to the astral without having any idea that’s what he was doing.