How Curious Am I about Enlightenment?

So many paths to Enlightenment seem promising. How can you choose wisely?

So many paths to Enlightenment seem promising. How can you choose wisely?

Recently I have found many people drawn to conversations about Enlightenment. Some watch interviews given by people like me. Others are signing up for meditation courses. Online experts appeal to some.

If you’re reading this, you know. Many today are very curious indeed about Enlightenment. So much is available now that appeals to your curiosity.

Well, this is going to be one of my more controversial blog posts. But I’ll lead up to it gently.

Is Enlightenment a fairly new idea for you? Or have you been questing for quite a while?

And at what point did you ever use terms like Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Self-Actualization, or Spiritual Awakening?

I’m especially looking forward to comments at the end of this post about your story:

When DID you first become interested in the idea of Enlightenment?

But before you leap down to that input from Blog-Buddies — either reading about others or adding your story or both — you may find some useful perspective in today’s article. (Including that controversial part near the end of this main article.)

Only the Vaguest Idea

When we start anything new, we’re beginners. Including how clear we are about that we’re even starting.

Long ago this Enlightenment Coach had no idea of what she was seeking. Growing up, which were the first books I read over and over again?

• “Anne of Green Gables” — the whole series
  • Any novel by Louisa May Alcott
  • Nancy Drew mysteries — not quite the whole series, but mega-many of the thrilling adventures of the girl detective in her Prius. (Erp, I mean, “yellow roadster.”)

But soon I began reading other books, and to this day it isn’t clear to me how I even found them:

Not until 1968 did I even hear the word “Enlightenment.” Once I did, that was that. I knew my life would be dedicated to that, consecrated to reaching that and (if only I ever could) helping others to reach Enlightenment as well.

Given that sweet, drifting, “Heart in the right place” path,  I’m in the perfect position to appreciate what is happening to many now.

Your Curiosity, Your Emerging Search for Enlightenment

• “Abraham” grew up knowing about Enlightenment. His parents followed a path that they expected him to pursue. But their version never quite fit Abraham. He began looking for something that did. The man was smart enough to know that many of today’s spiritual offerings don’t begin to deliver what is promised. He wanted discernment.
  • “Annette” has heard more and more about Awakening, and it thrills her somehow. She wants more. With a sweet spirit of surrender, Annette figures that she will be give whatever she needs.
  • “Arthur” found his path, alright. Only five years later, he realized that “path” was a cult. How could Arthur keep the good parts of all that hard work, yet now find a path that would be authentic, productive, honest?

So many different questions, and different answers. What matters for everyone? What can help in the pursuit of one’s very individual spiritual desires?

Consumer smarts… about Enlightenment services. That really, really matters right now. In this Age of Awakening.

Personally I think that consumer smarts can begin with clarity about what Enlightenment is. And isn’t. Then consumer smarts can go further towards helping you to discern a good choice of personal path for now.

Today’s Seekers of Enlightenment Have a Lot to Choose From

Even if “Enlightenment Coaching” isn’t your official intention for a session, I can and will help you in that way too, if you wish.

Right in the background, this happens when you choose any session with me, whether Thrill Your Soul Aura Reading Research, or aura healing, or personal mentoring. Clearly this approach has helped many of you Blog-Buddies to move forward towards Enlightenment and even cross the threshold.

Now I am doing something bold and new, launching my first teleclass to help spiritual seekers to progress more safely. More rapidly. Along a path that really fits.

Plus having the power of a group supplement your learning experience. Yes, I believe it is possible to provide affordable personal coaching about Enlightenment in a small group.

Blog-Buddies, I feel a strong passion for providing this, not just to save you time but because so much of what is offered today could waste your time. Or worse.

Here’s just one example.

Nonduality

In Enlightenment some (not all) people experience a quality of consciousness called nonduality. Here is a responsible description of it from the superb nonduality teacher and experiencer David Buckland.

And now here come four stories of RES clients — names changed, real people:

• “Barbara” does experience nonduality. It is her spontaneous experience. Barbara is very busy with her life now, including local politics, running a business, canning her own vegetables. Barbara hasn’t gone to any nonduality gatherings, but if she did, she’d find many people with similar consciousness.
  • “Bob” goes to some nonduality conferences and loves it. The particular events that he chooses are a good fit for him. The whole community means a great deal to him.
  • “Bernadette” has had a smallish number of sessions with me. Recently she had some pretty destabilizing problems energetically. During our session I was able facilitate some relevant energy healing. Now she is doing much better, back on her path. The problem, it turned out, was related to her following a very popular teacher of nonduality. Bernadette began to go off the deep end, related to her involvement with this “authority.”

RES clients benefit from a distinctive combination of energy READING skills and energy HEALING skills that work now, in the Age of Awakening. Thank goodness, Bernadette got herself this kind of help. In my experience helping clients worldwide, folks do not play a cosmic game of “Chutes and Ladders,” advancing rapidly from complex human imbalances bam! Straight to Enlightenment. Just because a guru is wonderful.

• When “Benny” had his first session with me, he did what a lot of big spiritual seekers do. He didn’t prepare an intention (although he had been informed more than once in advance of his session that ideas about intention would help him make the best use of our time together). Benny took about 10 minutes of session time before he could focus enough on his human life to find any human-type intention for our session!

This was a productive conversation, IMO, though hardly what Benny expected. Then a Healing Centerpiece was chosen and facilitated. Now Benny was off to a good start at moving forward on a path that would work for him.

Sadly, after the session was over, Benny mentioned to me what he was really excited about: Taking a nonduality workshop. (Far more excited than Benny appeared to be about his “mere” life.)

Benny couldn’t have been much farther from Enlightenment! So far he hadn’t learned to read auras yet, and therefore he couldn’t assess for himself. Still, hadn’t he heard a word in our session?

What about all those very real, human problems that Benny had mentioned during his session — were they supposed to suddenly vanish at the magical nonduality workshop?

In short, did Benny really think that he was an appropriate candidate for experiencing nonduality? Now?

You don’t reach a higher state of consciousness by pretending you are already there.

What Really Helps a Person to Progress Towards Enlightenment

By now I know way more than that teenage reader of “The Cloud of Unknowing.” As an Enlightenment Coach I sure don’t know everything; howevever, I have learned a lot.

That includes one big deal secret that is common for every single one of the people I have helped cross the threshold into Enlightenment. This isn’t a quick little concept to explain. Actually I will be building towards that in the Enlightenment Basics Teleseminar Series. (Planned for Teleseminar #5 of the 7, actually.)

However, I can tell you a commonsense concept right now:

Your fastest path to Enlightenment can include energetic literacy — using aura reading insights to supplement your hard-won human street smarts.

So don’t just go for what’s in your neighborhood, what comes cheap, or what “everybody” is doing.

You have your own sacred path to Enlightenment. Which way do you wish to progress there, an unnecessarily difficult way or a more joyful way?

David B says:

1974 🙂

David B says:

Thanks for the link, Rose.

A note on that article – as I mention in comments, this article was focused on “nonduality” misconceptions. I didn’t even get to the feminine side of the equation, the sattva (purity or clarity) that energy healing helps so much.

One of the chief messages I’ll have in my talk is that there are 2 parts to the unfolding. It’s not only about consciousness. That also has to be lived in the world.

Kira says:

I can tell you exactly when I got interested in Enlightenment–2/2/13.

I knew of the concept from at least college and possibly earlier (so late ’80’s; I can’t remember when I first heard of it), but I associated it with giving up all your worldly possessions and living in a cave or on a mountaintop, so I didn’t think too hard about applying it to my own life.

Kira says:

But the awakening experience I had on 2/2/13 reminded me enough of what I had heard and read about Enlightenment that I had to find out more. (There’s a poem about it as a guest post somewhere on this blog.)

I knew about your blog from Become the Most Important Person in the Room, but I only visited it once or twice until I rediscovered it in doing a search for info on Enlightenment, and I’ve been here ever since. 🙂

DAVID B., you really are a teacher of Householder Enlightenment with that emphasis on higher states of consciousness in the world!

Looking forward to that article you’ll add at your blog Davidya.com. Perhaps when things settle down. 😉

Meanwhile please add a link here to your upcoming talk at the big, upcoming nonduality conference. And also to your interview for “Buddha at the Gas Pump.”

Note to Blog-Buddies, it is unusual for me to request links like this at my personal blog. That’s my prerogative, right?

Please do not ask here about studying with various gurus or comment requesting advice about keeping your empath gifts off while in their workshops, etc. Still it’s fine with me if you propose people for the Enlightenment Life List.

Rose says:

KIRA, I’m glad that you have continued to stay connected at this blog. You add so much.

Ditto for your participation at the Empath Empowerment Skills group on Facebook.

Rose says:

And it has been so delightful as you have shared your discoveries, moving so rapidly on your path to Enlightenment.

I’ve tracked down that sweet poem you refered to. The article was “What Does It Mean to Be Spiritual?”

There your poem appears as Comment 47.

Grace W says:

Great post, Rose!

It really has been the most powerful little commonsense thing to get.

Grace W says:

Developing discernment.

Seeking help, through sessions, with a highly skilled coach, for aura healing and research.

Using these skills and the information gained from them to make wiser, conscious decisions.

Grace W says:

I have discovered this to be true about so many areas of life — diet, health, friendships, work, etc.

One size does not fit all!

Grace W says:

And especially in the marketplace that is spiritual development these days, it is more important than ever, IMO, to use intelligence and discernment.

To have the courage to make different choices from the group.

Grace W says:

RES is such a powerful tool!

Amazing to consider that I recently made a significant improvement in my health by using research to discern the timing of weaning off a particular medication. Such subtle, yet powerful work.

Grace W says:

By the way, I grew up reading Nancy Drew, too! 🙂

Clara says:

I became interested in enlightenment in 2010, but I was not aware I could even have a chance at attaining it until I started researching the topic and found this blog, in the past year.

“Spiritual awakening” as a concept was confused with “enlightenment” until your blog also. It was a joyous day when I first read your descriptions of what qualifies as awakening,to be able to name my experiences as that.

David B says:

Thanks, Rose
    The BAT interview has happened but has not gone online yet. (the video editor has been extra busy) The first of 5 from his trip went live yesterday. I’m #3. Less common, the interview was live, on location by a kiwi orchard.

David B says:

The SAND talk is in 11 days in San Jose, CA. Here’s the talk subject

And a little flyer on it

Kira says:

Ooh, I forgot about the poem you just tracked down, Rose! I was referring to one that you made into a guest post, about “Awakening is not Enlightenment” or something along those lines. I tracked it down myself at one point, but I forget now where it was–I think sometime in May 2013.

Kira says:

Anyway, thank you for tracking my 2nd poem down and reminding me about it, and for your comment 7 as well! 😀

Kira says:

Oh, and I also grew up reading Nancy Drew. And Walter Farley’s horse books (most, but not all, related to The Black Stallion), then lots of other horse books.

I graduated from Nancy Drew to Agatha Christie. I also discovered science fiction, and Fred Hoyle’s October the First is Too Late was the thing that blew my mind.

Sarah says:

Last year! 🙂

There was definitely a lot going on before that for which I didn’t use such terms.

But last summer my life really started to come apart in ways that I couldn’t control, I started researching everything from psychic development to personality disorders to make sense of things… And I found this blog!

Sarah says:

At first I was not interested in this “enlightenment” stuff (I was here for the healing and research).

Then, gradually, without my even realizing it, the focus shifted and it became clear that Enlightenment was the very reason I was here and interested in these things.

Sarah says:

Last December in a session, I made my first out-loud declaration of it being the highest priority in my life, and I surprised myself!

Sarah says:

At this point, I have a constant background awareness of being “on my way” in everything I do… most of which is pretty mundane and very, very human (making bagel sandwiches, doing homework, eating burgers…). 🙂

David B says:

Well – my interview went up today after all.

Wonderful, David. Big congratulations!

And three cheers for Rick Archer for maintaining the visionary project and labor of love that is “Buddha at the Gas Punp”!!!

David B says:

Thanks, Rose. I’m quite a bit drier and more abstract than your interview. It won’t speak to many but will be very useful for some.

Irene Kr says:

I’ve been questing “have a life that actually works and isn’t so bizarrely full of pain and suffering that just seems to spiral without going anywhere” for as long as I can remember.

Irene Kr says:

It took awhile to realize that working harder in objective reality (without having a way to deal with the inner stuff) didn’t work. Then it took a shorter while to learn that random paying attentions to energies and self-introspection didn’t work.

(I think I needed that space of time to be in a place to accept RES though – I would have been too skeptical to try it without that trip through spiritual addiction.)

Irene Kr says:

Only very recently did I start to think, huh, maybe what I want is to have less “Stuff” and maybe that state is called “Enlightenment”. Ok, then, I guess what I want is enlightenment.

I have doubts on how accurate any of my understandings of enlightenment are at this point. I tend not to think about it much (as it can make me feel dissatisfied with where I am now), but it seems to be something worth exploring for me right now.

Irene Kr says:

Very lovely poems, Kira.Thanks for sharing those 🙂

And so-lovely comments, IRENE KR. Thanks to you, too.

Kira says:

Thanks, Rose, for finding the first one!

And thanks, Irene, for liking them!

🙂