When Spiritual Addiction Leads to a Breakdown. A Guest Post.

Is there hope for recovery from spiritual addiction? Yes, yes, yes.

Is there hope for recovery from spiritual addiction? Yes, yes, yes.

Blog-Buddies, this article originally appeared here on the date of this post.

But on February 12, 2016 I have moved it. Because it is being included in my latest book. More about that to come. 🙂

Incidentally, Blog-Buddies, about meditation — as a former teacher of Transcendental Meditation I have heard my share of horror stories about people who made up a practice, or learned to meditate in a group, or otherwise did not receive good quality training before delving into inner experiences.

“Meditation” is not to blame for that. Doing this would be like blaming all foods because you once got food poisoning. That particular batch of food wasn’t that good to begin with.

While I no longer recommend TM, I do strongly suggest that anyone interested in learning meditation find a proper teacher, someone with real skills at teaching, and a type of meditation that is helpful for the sort of life you wish to lead.

Especially in this Age of Awakening, meditation can be a powerful part of your personal path.

However, results from any meditational practice are intensified now. Which means that it is more important than ever to receive instruction from a reputable source… for a type of meditation that would be appropriate for you.

And, of course, too much meditation time in your daily routine is like any other kind of Technique Time — leading to spiritual addiction.

Kira says:

Marie, I’m so glad you found help! Especially that you found Rose! I hope to see comments from you here at the blog eventually.

Lilian says:

Thanks Marie for sharing and know you are supported here.

Lilian says:

It’s just so easy to go down this path. I think I got into spiritual addiction when I working on finishing my PhD. At a time when you have to be constantly working on your personal development, whatever way you want to look at it!

Lilian says:

Once you find a door to disappear into, it can be hard to stay focused on this world. For me, getting rid of stuff was the important bit. I needed more incentive to be part of this particular world…

David B says:

Thanks for sharing, Marie. When I first came to Rose’s site, I recognized spiritual addiction because I’d been there myself. The style was more living in la-la land and not being practical in life. So I was always broke and struggling.

David B says:

Ive seen much worse cases since. Including some who have been in the same for decades now. For some, their health is terrible now.

But since the BATGAP interview, I’ve corresponded with a couple of very extreme cases. On their own, isolated and running their life entirely from the direction of astral beings they think are divine.

They cut off correspondence when I was frank about it. The hell isn’t deep enough for them to want out yet…

Sandra says:

You are very brave, Marie. Thank you so much for sharing your personal experiences with spiritual addiction with us.

Lilian says:

My concern is that there are some period in everyone’s life that truly are demanding. Bereavement, ill health, unemployment etc. That’s when you need to keep summoning courage and to keep a positive attitude (i.e. technique time.)

How can you handle these kinds of situations these days without becoming spiritually addicted?

Marie says:

Thank you to Rose for sharing this, it has been very hard for me to talk to anyone about this as not many understand or acknowledge that spiritual addiction is possible.

Thank you to all for your comments, I feel just courageous enough to reply even if it is under a different name.

I have been reading this Blog for a little under two years now and have read the comments from quite a few of you, those comments have helped me so much even though you didn’t know so I want to say Thank you.

Grace W says:

Thanks for sharing your story, Marie. I know that you are helping others by doing so.

Spiritual addiction is powerful stuff! I think I went through a phase, while not actually being spiritually addicted, of not taking it all that seriously.

Grace W says:

I recently chose to move away from another relationship because the person has moved into spiritual addiction and even the extreme variety.

I know now it’s wise to simply move on and not try to convince the other person of anything, as in my experience, it’s just rebuffed.

Thanks to everyone for these fine comments!

LILIAN, in response to your question, guess what? There are HUMAN things to do, in contrast to techniquey things:

Talking to friends.

Taking a walk.

Washing the clothes.

Misery loves the company of other humans, and human things, and human environments!

Grace W says:

Lillian, I’ve learned from personal experience that those tough times are actually the best opportunities for learning to seek grounded, human help.

To focus on the present and take one concrete step at a time.

Grace W says:

For instance, who is available to drive me to the doctor?

How can I develop more relationships with people who would be willing to help?

Grace W says:

Diving into the astral sure doesn’t help in those situations.

Getting really grounded and practical does, in my experience.

Hi Marie, wonderful post. I’ve been there too. I’m glad you’re on the other end of it, with so much to look forward to.

Irene Kr says:

Marie, such a beautiful and courageous story. Thank you for sharing.

Irene Kr says:

Lilian, I’m pretty much in that place right now in my life (poor health). What I find is that I have to keep picking myself up and trying again.

When I notice that I’m focused on all the things I can’t do anymore and all of the things that aren’t working, I choose to celebrate the things I am able to do and the small beauties and joys of the day.

Irene Kr says:

Sometimes it seems impossible to make the choice. But I can and I do, and every time I do, it’s easier the next time (though it doesn’t always seem so!)

Irene Kr says:

Also, since coming out of spiritual addiction, the 20 min of technique time I do is sooo much more impactful that I don’t want to go back to the hazy weird feeling of drifting in the astral that was spiritual addiction.

I like feeling clearer and more alive in my technique time, but I know from experience that only works for that short time. If I try to stay there, it goes sour. So I come out and back into the world and try to do the things I’m able to do today as best I can.

Lilian says:

I guess in principal the advise sounds fine. But finding people willing to help and be company can be hard. But certainly keeping an eye on the practical is always a good way forward.

Lilian says:

Please don’t give me a lecture about what I just commented about. Dealing with some of the things I’ve had to, it is hard to find even professional counsellors who can really help. I’ve tried. Sometimes you just have to take what you can from people and accept the degree that might want to invest. Even shallow meaningless drunk sex is something, right? :-p

LILIAN, don’t I know it, how much you have been through and your courage every step of the way.

All I was doing was answering your excellent question.

IRENE KR, thank you so much for sharing these words of very human strength, big evolution here at Earth School.

Kira says:

Lilian, about your question in Comment 11–I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but like Irene also mentioned, I deal with the difference between what I used to be able to do andand what I can do now by taking pleasure in the things I can still do.

I agree that it’s much easier with support of other people, which I have. But even when I was desperately lonely, I found things to do that cheered me up, which was enough to keep me going.

Kira says:

I totally understand your question, though, based on my experience that depression is much harder than breast cancer to deal with.

Lilian says:

Irene K: I have been there (or something like it).

Physical ill health and spiritual addiction are such a difficult and frustrating cycle to break.

“Some days it’s a triumph to get dressed and eat and, gasp, actually go outside and walk for half an hour. It can be frustrating when I used to be able to do so much more, go so many more places, interact with so many more people.”

Lilian says:

If you’re super clever (which I reckon you are, from what I know of you), then the boredom factor can be overwhelming, right?

Lilian says:

Every time you can get yourself to go for a walk, or do something that may even seem pathetically trivial, you do get stronger. I feel that everytime you do something physical and in this world, you’re sending your greater self a message that this life is where you want your energy to be. Then, in the end, you will be stronger overall as your energy is integrated back into being human. Like a rebirth, I guess. Anyway, that’s how I can describe it.

(Reading this probably counts for technique time, sorry Rose!)

Dear LILIAN:

Neither reading your Comment 32 nor writing it counts as “Technique Time” as I would define it.

Thanks also to you, IRENE KR and KIRA, for contributing to this thread.

Marie says:

Yes too much meditation as Rose comment #3 I do feel contributed to my Spirtual addiction.

I would get lost in many meditations, my head would be swimming, id struggle to be in my body as well as other weird stuff I’d see and feel.

Marie says:

I’d gotten to the point where I saw life as a living meditation (bit delusional methinks) and then it became a living hell shortly after.

I used no discernment when choosing meditations.

I don’t use guided meditations anymore.

Irene Kr says:

Lillian, I’m sorry it seemed like a lecture. Please disregard what I said if it’s not helpful to you.

Hard things are hard, and it can be really discouraging when it feels like all one does doesn’t actually change anything. Only sometimes do I get a glimpse of perspective to see that it is in fact moving, slow as a glacier it seems, but moving.

Irene Kr says:

I’ve found great comfort in something Rose said once which I’m not sure I’m quoting exactly. It was something like this:

“When things can’t change yet, there is great power in the human will to do the best you can”.

And so I try. I pick myself up and do the best I can. Again and again.

Lilian says:

Irene K: Sorry, that was just my sense of humour. I hate it when people assume they know my situation better than I do! Even Rose with all her empath skills. :-p Sharing helps, lecturing doesn’t!

Lilian says:

But seriously Irene, what you describe sounds very similar to what I went through. I had the energy of an old lady for a good year. It’s hard to stick with it, and I found it hard to motivate myself to exercise properly for a long time as I didn’t feel like my body was my own, it was so weak. The lack of physical strength makes it easier to be depressed, which also doesn’t help.

Lilian says:

But you do get stronger! And I think you’ll get little gifts of good luck when you need them. That’s what happened to me! You’re still you, and you’ll be one bad ass woman from all the strength and self knowledge you gain.

Lilian says:

Thanks for sharing Irene. Dealing with empath burnout is such a weird lonely place to be. Being so sensitive compared to most other folk can be lonely as it is, then the shift effects us more and it’s very hard to get info to help yourself. The info we have about spirituality these days is mostly useless and dangerous.

But then all I actually want is to live my life and use my talents as best I can. None of this other wierd stuff. :-p

Marie says:

David B your comment #9 stands out very much, things turned very nasty for me, like a horror movie playing in my brain 24/7, I hope these people you speak of wake up before they get to that.

Nicole says:

Even though this post has been removed for the time being I wanted to share my experience.

Nicole says:

There was definitely point where I was going off the deep end.

Didn’t want to be on planet earth at all because I thought that equaled enlightenment and ascension.

Nicole says:

Then, around 2013 there were a series of life changes that forced me to deal with the physical world again.

Prayer and meditation meant a lot but so did eating good food, laughing, and trying to find the joy in life again.

Nicole says:

That process actually made my connection to the divine deeper and simpler.

I became less rigid over time and clearer too.