Sharing Holiday Poems and Stories, 2015. Starts now.

Decorating your holiday season with a poem

Decorating your holiday season with a poem

Here’s a recorded version of the poem, and of course you can always read it below.

When Will It Be…

Surprisingly it began at the mall.

A routine errand stopped when that sound came out of nowhere.

Alright, it came out of the sound system that usually plays dopey shopper’s music

only this time we were given The Christmas Song.

You know, that song of the holiday season, the song called

“When Will It Be Sacred Enough for You?”

I paused thoughtfully. Of course, I always do.

Doesn’t everyone, during those precious few months before Manger Day?

Above all, this is a season of reverence

when we shop more than otherwise, dress ourselves up, serve the treats,

and we visit and reach out and gift each other like crazy, all because

we can never hear that song too many times,

“When Will It Be Sacred Enough for You?”

Bring on the big, inflatable lawn ornaments!

Or decorate the tiniest tree with one shining star.

We can’t go wrong, and everyone’s taste is perfect. Since

(in the background) (no matter what) they’re playing our song.

‘Tis the season to celebrate, to decorate

and, above all, to investigate,

“When Will It Be Sacred Enough for You?”

Because, if we’re honest, we can always find the answer.

Right here, right now.

Maybe not exactly what we pretended or expected

but extended

so generously

to each of us, to every one of us, and every single time,

we are given all that we can hold.

Okay, Blog-Buddies, now it’s your turn.

All you Blog-Buddies who write holiday poems, we’ll be collecting them here via the comment boxes below.

Also invited: How it is feeling for you in December 2015, as yet another holiday season catches us by surprise, and our world continues adjusting to this new Age of Awakening?

Poetry. Stories. Comments of all kinds.

Wherever you live, and whatever your official religion (or lack thereof), what inspires you about this holiday season?

David B says:

Not much of a poet but I have been exploring quotes for a theme of Gratitude this year.

Grace W says:

Lovely poem, Rose!

Grace W says:

Last night, I put up my little Christmas tree. I unwrapped each ornament, one by one, and decorated my tree as I listened to Christmas music.

My ornaments are a collection from my entire life. One from my mom’s childhood. Several from travels to exotic places, etc.

Grace W says:

This was the first time in recent memory that I only felt gratitude and happiness, with not a twinge of angst, sadness, “STUFF,” as I looked at each little decoration.

Grace W says:

I was thrilled to be free of all that and truly experience the good memories sparked by these special little beautiful objects from my life.

Very grateful to be healthy and happy and have lovely people to celebrate with.

David B says:

This is the poem I settled on. A little Thanksgiving-ish but it nicely expresses gratitude. My own 3 stanzas didn’t quite gell. (laughs)

“For each new morning with its light,
    For rest and shelter of the night,
    For health and food, for love and friends,
    For everything Thy goodness sends.”

– Ralph Waldo Emerson

GRACE W, the first year in Enlightenment is really special.

Other years will be differently special, I think you’ll find. Yet that was true even before you crossed the threshold into Enlightenment.

Funny idea, that kind of “Chop wood, carry water.”

And I’m glad you like the poem. 🙂

DAVID B., that poem does express gratitude beautifully.

In this season of grace and gratitude, beyond this Comment #6 from you I appreciate all your comments at my blog, grateful to have you participating here, you who are my colleague as an Enlightenment Coach.

As I see it, our roles are different, with such different ways to help our people… and even differeng definitions of what Enlightenment is.

And yet, like everyone reading this blog right now, on a daily basis each of us is heaping goodness on goodness, bringing light into this world.

As a separate post, here’s a poem about Christmas and forgiveness.

Kira says:

I was waiting to comment in case inspiration hit and I suddenly came up with a Christmas poem. Inspiration did hit, but not with a Christmas or holiday poem, so I’m back here to note that I really like Rose’s poem.

Dana says:

Unfortunately I’m not a poet, but I did want to also express gratitude for your blog Rose, and also looking forward to that book, I’m sure I’ll read it whatever the topic, as I learn so much from your writings.

And also to David, #6 and #8, also grateful for your comments here, I learn from all the comments but in particular from the juxtaposition that comes from the differing views or refinements given, and suspect you both teach many than just me in this way…thanks again!!

And Happy Holidays.

Julie says:

I like your poem, Rose, and especially the tradition of the holiday poem. Something to look forward to, and savor, and mark the season.

Julie says:

Here’s a mini-poem:

I am enjoying the holiday frenzy,
    Hectic today, and wild.
    Also, too, fun!
    Like kids running through a sprinkler,
    in full summer,
    and shrieking.

JULIE, wonderful! (And also thanks for your appreciating my poem and the annual tradition here at the blog.)

Regarding sprinklers, I used to be one of those kids. You too?

Julie says:

I still am, Rose:) Just kidding. Still a kid, but the sprinklers are long ago. That and slip and slides.

Very nice, Julie and Rose! And a great tradition.

Christmas has been very low key for me for many years, being single, not having family nearby and not having a place where I can entertain.

Sometimes I get an invite around the holidays, often I don’t.

This year I’m happy to be going to brunch on Christmas day with friends.

Tonight I threw a holiday party for the tweens and teens at my library that involved making Christmas cookies, making tree ornaments, eating pizza and lots of sweets, and dancing with ” Just Dance” on the WII.

So much fun, to see everyone having a good time, even kids who normally hang back and don’t participate much.

I’m thinking this is the first of a great new Christmas tradition.

Definitely a great tradition, KYLIE.

And the brunch with friends, too.

Julie says:

Kylie,

A great way to create community, traditions. And a better world:)