Odd Nerdrum. Aura Reading of a Kitch Painter.

Odd Nerdrum, aura reading a man who is proud to be a kitch painter.

Odd Nerdrum — aura reading a man who is proud to be a kitch painter.

Today’s aura reading helps to complete our prize-winningest contest ever at this blog, What Could Possibly Make This Person Tick?

Nominating him, JULES D wrote:

He’s a brilliant painter, a visionary, with an artistic temperament. He seems to be personally rather dramatic and combative. Is his aura in keeping with this artistic stereotype?”

That’s certainly one way to put it. Here is how Wikipedia describes Odd Nerdum’s claim to fame:

Nerdrum creates six to eight paintings a year that include still life paintings of small, everyday objects like bricks, portraits and self-portraits, and large paintings allegorical and apocalyptic in nature. Subjects of Nerdrum’s paintings are often dressed as if from another time and place.

Nerdrum says that his art should be understood as kitsch rather than art as such. “On Kitsch”, a manifesto composed by Nerdrum, describes the distinction he makes between kitsch and art. Nerdrum’s philosophy has spawned The Kitsch Movement among his students and followers, who call themselves kitsch painters rather than artists.

Art historians did get to kitch long before Odd Nerdrum, of course. I’ve read some of Clement Greenberg’s comments about kitch, from the 1930’s.

At the time painting kitch was not considered a compliment. And to this day many an art lover (self included) would not consider the likes of an Elvis painting on black velvet… to be art.

How Special is Odd Nerdrum Work?

Perhaps you will love it, perhaps not. For a representative sample, you might turn to his painting “Self-Portrait as a Dog.” (Just scroll down a couple of screens and you’ll find this Nerdrum original from 2014.

What if you would like to do energetic literacy research on your own? Scroll down to the end of today’s article for nuts and bolts.

I’d recommend you do that before reading my aura research, so you won’t be influenced by it. Your perceptions are equally important for learning about the multi-faceted diamond that is ANY human soul.

Aura Reading the Root Chakra Databank for Presence in the Room

First, a gift of Odd Nerdrum’s soul. I want the first thing I tell you about his aura to be something nice. 🙂

A strong presence, with a great deal of charisma. Thrives on attention. Creates constant variety. His motto could be “Never a dull moment.”

Now, on to research the business end of this chakra databank, and all the others that will be researched here today.

Out to the moon. Given the quality of this chakra databank, Odd Nerdrum is not making much contact with reality.

This quality screams “Pothead” to me, although there may be other causes for the sensibility here.

Odd Nerdrum barely makes contact with objective reality, and his presence is like someone who stands here, points there. He is pointing to a more detached, trippy version of reality, not the human variety.

Human reality seems sour, flat, detached, and third rate. Odd Nerdrum  lives, instead, for not accepting anything as it is; preferring irony and — above all — attitude.

Drawing attention to himself may matter far more to this kitch expert than drawing anything to hang on a wall.

Aura Reading the Belly Chakra Databank for Using Creativity at Work

80 feet out. The quality of this chakra databank reminds me of the jagged end of a sawblade.

Odd Nerdrum loves to use his creativity to create chaos, to destabilize people and — above all — to gain attention.

Sometimes at this blog I have celebrated people who came in on the Ray of Shiva:

To be clear, Odd Nerdrum would not be one of these people. Exemplifying the contribution of those on the Ray of Shiva, the previously-named people relish destroying ignorance, removing what does not further life.

Odd Nerdrum prefers to use his creativity to create extra things that do not belong, just to add to his personal glory. Odd Nerdrum is a most remarkable man (he believes)!

Aura Reading the Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Power Integrity

3 feet. Odd Nerdrum has quite the temper. He is easily angered, especially if it seems to him that anybody is trying to belittle him.

How does this related to power integrity (i.e. finishing what he starts, honoring commitments he has made)?

If you’re on Odd Nerdrum’s list of “Bad people” (a rather large list, I gather), he feels no obligation to follow through on any commitment he’s made.

Golly, I suspect this Odd Nerdrum is having a really good time!

Aura Reading the Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Integrity (Self-Honesty)

2 inches. Thick, entrenched denial protects the tender heart of this idealistic art celebrity.

Aura Reading the Third Eye Chakra Databank for Connection to Spiritual Source

2 inches. Why bother with “a God” when the world has Odd Nerdrum? Disinterest mixes with contempt.

Think greenish brown mixed with a very interesting shade of orangey grey.

Nothing boring about this man, for sure, and he’s mighty proud of that!

Aura Reading the High Heart Chakra Databank for Soul Thrill (Expressing His Soul)

40 feet. Juicy and shimmering with life, soul expression is Odd Nerdrum’s art form. He does what he pleases, as much as he can. Unlike what I recommended in yesterday’s post about making yourself happy, for Odd Nerdrum this job is simple and uncomplicated.

All about me-me-me. His life! His art! His relationships! An Odd Nerdrum style of perfection!!!

Conclusion

What a strange contrast, to spend Christmas Day aglow in renewed love for all. To spend this morning and afternoon basking in RES work and some clients I love and respect so much. Then, to complete one more of these enthusiastically given prizes of my last contest here at the blog.

And then, meeting this Odd Nerdrum.

Well, doesn’t life do that to us sometimes? We get to integrate Divine connection while acknowledging the truth. And the truth here on earth is not always pretty.

Odd Nerdrum’s paintings are so skilled and might definitely be considered pretty. His aura at the time of the (very flattering) photograph used in this reading? Maybe not quite so gorgeous. Still, he is having the time of his life. That has to count for a lot, not to mention the fans like Blog-Buddy JULES D.

Regarding his original contest entry, if I understood it correctly, JULES has an idea that it is typical for artists to be both dramatic and combative. I’m not so sure about that stereotype. When it comes to Odd Nerdrum, I’d say that the contempt for people is quite dramatic, but not necessarily the chakra databanks I have researched.

About being combative, does that big anger (at the Power Integrity chakra databank) count?

As for the “brilliant painter” idea, let’s leave that open to the beholder. Blog-Buddies, just how much beauty is in your eye when you behold artwork like “Self-Portrait as a Dog”?

Nuts and bolts about today’s aura reading

Which photograph am I using as a basis for today’s aura reading?

What if you want to read x’s*** aura on your own?

Whatever your current level of energetic literacy, you Blog-Buddies are invited to join me by doing your own aura reading, using the same photos used here.

• I’d recommend the “Reading Auras from Photos” technique in Read People Deeper (Start on Page 35 if you are using the paperback. For the eBook, just search. )
  • Or substitute a Skilled Empath Merge, using the “Magic Picture” technique in Become the Most Important Person in the Room (Start on Page 201, if you’re reading the paperback rather than the eBook).
  • Many of my students who want to use their lifelong talent for reading auras prefer to start with the 100+ techniques in my how-to, Aura Reading Through All Your Senses.

One way or another, isn’t it fascinating to use energetic literacy skills to learn about people? Each and every one of us is so very complex, fascinating, who we are for life (at that level of personal potential that shows in gifts of the soul) and ever changing (as our chakra databanks reveal, moment by moment and day by day).

Kira says:

So interesting!

Sarah says:

Yuck!

Having recently “met” someone who seemed (based on objective reality qualities, not aura reading) to be pretty similar in the Power Integrity area, I found this reading a little hard to stomach… But fascinating nonetheless–thank you, Rose!

I loved how you compared him to those Ray of Shiva people. He’s busy creating some of the stuff to be cleaned up by them. Haha!!

Grace W says:

I cringe at the notion that the “artistic temperament” is about being dramatic and combative.

I’ve worked among many professional artists for several years now and must say that I have not found this to be the case at all.

Grace W says:

I’ve met many kind, gentle, generous souls who are brilliantly talented and basically just want to make art.

Grace W says:

There are so many stereotypes about art and artists. I don’t think Odd Nerdrum is helping anyone in that regard.

Always interesting to read these readings. He’s definitely not my cup of tea.

Interesting observations, all.

About your Comments 3 and 4, GRACE W, I wonder what experiences of other Blog-Buddies have been? And not just about visual artists but writers, photographers, actors, musicians.

Personally I have found quite a mixture of people with varying motivations, all of whom might consider themselves artists.

Writers are the type of “artist” I know most, and I am thrilled when I mean someone with real writing talent. It’s rare, though.

Far more common are people who have paid for book coaches, or started to write by aiming for book-length projects. I even know some who have paid people to game the system at Amazon well enough to become an “Amazon bestselling author” for literally two minutes.

In short, being an artist is complex. Behavior reveals some of the truth, and more shows with aura reading or Skilled Empath Merges.

Grace W says:

I’ve also encountered in the people I’ve met a variety of ways to be an artist, in terms of approach, consciousness, motivation, etc.

I chose to mention one swath of folks I’ve met simply to contrast with the notion of artists being combative and dramatic.

Also, I didn’t spell it out, but was considering musicians, actors, directors, fine artists, photographers, and a variety of types of designers in making my comments.

GRACE W, isn’t it fascinating, thinking of the different artistic people you have known On contrast to Odd’s “not your cup of tea” version of being an artist.

And, of course, not mine either.

Kira says:

I know a lot of amateur visual artists, actors, writers, musicians, costumers, and crafters of many kinds. I know at least several professionals in those various arts, as well. They are as varied as any non-artists in temperament.

It does sometimes seem as though though a large portion of my acquaintances deal with depression, but it’s not clear to me that it’s related to being artistic.

Leo says:

Ha!

I’ve met many many many self-proclaimed artists (maybe better “artistes”) who fall into similar patterns of self-delusion as Mr. Odd Nerdum.

Leo says:

I attended a school well known for its art curriculum and it seemed to attract such self-aggrandizing, self-fascinated “aarrrtttiiisssttss” by the boat load.

Leo says:

Actors, or should I say aspiring actors, are by far the worst, followed by most of the people I’ve met “in fashion.”

Aspiring novelists seem to be bad too – you really think the world needs YOUR book? For what?

Leo says:

Now, about ten percent of artists I’ve met break this mold and bring true talent to their work – they’re quite in the minority though, in my experience.

Leo says:

Although I do believe there ARE many who are dedicated to their art, and not particularly talented, and aren’t bad people. I’ve just run into many who remind me of Mr. Nerdrum. I don’t mean to unfairly stereotype aspiring artists.

Eda the Artist says:

Never heard of Odd Nerdrum but I’m used to thinking that I don’t know current artists.

Now I know one.

Eda the Artist says:

Saw lots of images of his work. He certainly knows how to paint and has a lot to say.

He can paint anything in the world that he wants. He is a master.

Eda the Artist says:

I would say that he is kitsch in some ways because he is in another world, even
    as he makes art that goes back to Rembrandt.

Lots of his dramatic lighting,
    darks & lights and lots of browns.

Art history is about moving forward, not backward.

Eda the Artist says:

On the other hand, Odd Nerdrum’s content is very Post-Modern: The world is going to pot.

Eda the Artist says:

The other artist that Odd Nerdrum’s work reminded me of is Hieronymus Bosch.

Nerdrum’s style is not like that of Bosch, but the content is very similar.

As an artist, Nerdum sure has something going. Interesting guy.

Eda the Artist says:

Here’s a link to one of the best-known paintings by Hieronymus Bosch:

EDA, these comments are much appreciated. Funny that you compared the content of Odd Nerdrum’s work to that of Hieronymus Bosch.

You’re right, even a tiny-skilled art fan like me gets that right away. What strikes me as funny? I adore Flemish paintings, mostly. Goes with my love of Northern Renaissance music.

But I always found the work of Hieronymus Bosch to be absolutely grotesque. Haha. Each to his/her own!