How Exciting Can an Aura Be? Exploring Performance Artist Marina Abramovi?

What do you think I'll find in the aura of famed performance artist Marina Abramovi??

What do you think I’ll find in the aura of famed performance artist Marina Abramovi??

Compared to the artist I’m going to aura-read for you today, our last one was practically boring. Remember this guy? Odd Nerdrum. Aura Reading of a Kitch Painter.

Well today I’ll do energetic literacy research on a certain performance artist nominated by Blog-Buddy ISABELLE at her Comments 78-85. Here’s how Marina Abramovi? was described at our contest about What Could Possibly Make This Person Tick?

Marina Abramovi? was born in Serbia in 1946. She grew up under the Tito dictatorship. She described her upbringing as “military-style control.” Her mother would wake Marina up in the middle of the night to do military training.

Later Marina Abramovi? went to art school where she got involved in performance art. This included:

• Cutting a big star in her belly
  • Throwing herself into walls
  • Whipping herself.

At one of her performances Marina Abramovi? met a man who became her partner. Together they did performance pieces together for several years. How did that relationship end? Both of them walked the Great Wall of China, starting at two opposite ends. After separately walking 2,500 km, they met in the middle and said “Goodbye.”

Drooling with excitement yet, Blog-Buddies? Let’s explore Marina Abramovi? with some energetic literacy.

And what if you would like to do energetic literacy research on your own? Scroll down to the end of today’s article for nuts and bolts.

I’d recommend you do that before reading my aura research, so you won’t be influenced by it. Your perceptions are equally important for learning about the multi-faceted diamond that is ANY human soul.

Aura Reading the Root Chakra Databank for Presence in the Room

3 miles. In her presence Marina Abramovi? embodies the sense of battlefield. She stands in the world as a survivor of cruelty and hatred. Partly this presence is a habit, cemented in by loads of what is called “STUFF” in RES (Rosetree Energy Spirituality).

Along with this, what is the beautiful aspiration? Marina Abramovi? strives to keep holding a certain kind of faith, loving peace even while she is fully aware of divisiveness.

Noble and, again, beautiful!

Aura Reading the Belly Chakra Databank for Creativity

3 miles. Creativity is a battle. Love is a battle. Life is a battle.

For Marina Abramovi?, the purpose of her creativity is to celebrate this reality.

It matters to her that the ugliness of life is embraced (not enjoyed but not flinched from, either).

Aura Reading the Solar Plexus Chakra Databank for Sharing Power

4 inches. Expressing love of God through martyrdom.

Meekly giving her power away is Marina Abramovi?’s preferred way to “share” power.

That’s the energetic dynamic at the subconscious level where the “business end” of a chakra databank is read. By the time her conscious mind creates a story about this dynamic, the language and concepts might be quite different.

Aura Reading the Heart Chakra Databank for Emotional Self-Awareness

1/8 inch. Shutdown.

At the time of this photo, Marina Abramovi? experiences layer upon layer of denial — not only blocking the experience of her personal emotions but pretty much obliterating the memory that once upon a time she had emotions.

This quality of suffering, calmly endured, makes me think of someone who is in shock.

Blog-Buddies, note my turn of phrase “makes me think of.” Fact is, in this lifetime I have never read the aura of somebody who was, literally, in shock (like a soldier right after a battle).

And no, folks, please don’t send me photos to make up for this deficiency in my experience. Such pictures are right in front of me daily, on the kitchen table, when I read the day’s Washington Post.

I turn away from those photos, however. It serves no purpose, IMO, to even LOOK at such photographs. Helps nobody!

However, I would do just about anything to teach my students or help my clients. And I did promise to supply readings to every single entry in that contest. And thus you find me today, reading a pretty darned gruesome aura belonging to someone who means so well.

Haha. Joke’s on me.

Aura Reading the Third Eye Chakra Databank for Connection to Spiritual Source

1/2 inch. Nearly shut down.

Rather than experiencing a connection to the Divine, Marina Abramovi? believes in ethics.

It’s worth celebrating, the beautifully heartfelt (although teensy) showing at this chakra databank. This frees her up to serve her highest ideals in ways that emphasize human suffering, which is the deepest reality for Marina Abramovi? at the time of this photograph.

Hey, I’d rather read this any time compared to the same chakra databank worn by the rich ‘n famous Rev. Rick Warren. You know, the pastor.

Aura Reading the High Heart Chakra Databank for Soul Thrill (Expressing Her Soul)

1 inch. Marina Abramovi? doesn’t put herself or her happiness first. She lives for duty. For art, as well.

Unlike Odd Nerdrum, she isn’t playing at art. She lives for it, and to some extent dies for it — probably on a daily basis.

Seems to me, Marina Abramovi?’s commitment is beautiful. It really glows up that stumpy little bit of soul thrill that displays in her aura at the time of this photograph.

Conclusion

Sigh! Blog-Buddy ISABELLE asked in her nomination if Marina Abramovi? might have moved into Enlightenment. Not by a long shot.

Based on what I have read today, Marina Abramovi? is a serious artist, though. Like many an artist (whether a painter or musician or writer or performance artist, etc.), she lives for her art, and gives it everything that she’s got.

I am so impressed by the congruence between Marina Abramovi?’s aura and the kind of performance art that she creates.

Does this art speak to me? Not the least little bit.

In her contest entry ISABELLE also asked about staring into a stranger’s eyes for a prolonged period, which is one type of “performance art” that Marina Abramovi? has done. This sort of staring can have a profound effect; this is not something I would recommend doing lightly.

Frankly, I wouldn’t recommend doing it at all.

Offhand I cannot think of a constructive purpose it would serve.

But that’s me, now. Blog-Buddies, back when I was a teenager, I displayed only one poster-like object on the wall of my bedroom. It was the centerfold of a book someone had given me about Pablo Picasso. Picture two huge pages, each showing one of Pablo Picasso’s eyes.

This I taped it to the ceiling above my bed. Partly it kept me company. Lots of insomnia back then. (Laughing.)

Plus I yearned with all my heart to be an artist some day. A writer-type artist.

Favorite book? “A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man.”

Favorite music? Puccini’s opera, “La Boheme.”

You get the idea. I was a typically something-besotted teenager. And like Marina Abramovi? I wanted to be an artist.

Pretty ridiculous, in my case: My spending hours in empty communion with the great painter as if I would catch a wink from his muse? Not that I even liked his paintings that much. But Pablo’s eyes were the only ones available. Haha.

Not for the only time, I was a fool for love.

Here at Earth School, aren’t most of us sometimes fools for love? We do our very best, strive towards our highest ideals, and pick ourselves back up after we have fallen short.

Personally I can’t relate to Marina Abramovi?’s performance art, but I sure love her for giving it absolutely everything she has. And I love that ISABELLE, too, for taking seriously such extreme behavior, being willing to seek the best in people always. Such a pure heart!

Nuts and bolts about today’s aura reading

Which photograph am I using as a basis for today’s aura reading?

What if you want to read Marina Abramovi?’s aura on your own?

Whatever your current level of energetic literacy, you Blog-Buddies are invited to join me by doing your own aura reading, using the same photos used here.

• I’d recommend the “Reading Auras from Photos” technique in Read People Deeper  (Start on Page 35 if you’re reading the paperback rather than the eBook.)
  • Or substitute a Skilled Empath Merge, using the “Magic Picture” technique in Become the Most Important Person in the Room (Start on Page 201, if you’re reading the paperback rather than the eBook).
  • Many of my students who want to use their lifelong talent for reading auras prefer to start with the 100+ techniques in my how-to, Aura Reading Through All Your Senses.

One way or another, it’s fascinating to use energetic literacy skills to learn about any artist of your choice.

Lilian says:

Ha! This ties in nicely with my reading of the “upside of stress”. The main hypothesis is that with stress there can always be growth, as long as we re primed to accept and learn from it.

Lilian says:

It seems positive thinking only produces measurable results if someone can acknowledge the reality of the negative.

Lilian says:

It seems marina is all about handling the balance of this polarity, with her own imaginative learning curve. Finding the nobility in her pain.

Lilian says:

Of course people get lost in this. It s a pretty deep fundamental of being human! Would take a few lives to practise.

David B says:

It’s worth noting, and I’ve seen this many times in my life, the distinction between presence and awakening.

It’s very common people confuse them. And it’s all too common for charisma to be used as a front.

David B says:

This is the value of energetic literacy, especially if seeking a teacher or leader.

Rachel says:

Very interesting reading, Rose.

I must admit, I haven’t heard of most of the people whose auras you read! But I have heard of Marina, and watched a clip of that famous installation piece(I think you call it that, the staring into other people’s eyes gig) she did at MOMA in San Francisco.

So it was interesting to read about her as I felt somewhat acquainted with her.

It’s so fascinating reading about the huge size differences in different chakra databanks.

Oh so many thoughts!

Rose, your readings of Odd Nerdstrum (whom I hadn’t heard of) and Marina (whom I had) sudenly made me wish I had nominated Yves Klein or Salvador Dalí. I love much of Dalí’s art, and I find myself so fascinated with Yves Klein that I tell unsuspecting people stories about him on a regular basis.

They’re going on my list of people to research myself when I’m finished learning how. Just need to find good pictures.

Kira says:

Now, about Picasso’s eyes–I painted a 36″x24″ painting of my own eyes titled “Can You See Me?”. I entered in an art show, but no one bought it. I guess there aren’t many people who want a large extreme close-up of eyes. LOL!

And to tie this comment back to the previous one, in high school, I painted a reverse copy of Dalí’s “The Persistence of Memory” as the pupil of an even bigger eye (mine again–partly because I didn’t need to stare at anyone else’s to paint it). It’s also a 36″x24″ canvas, but with only 1 eye instead of 2.

Kira says:

And I loved “A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man” enough that my 12th-grade English teacher gave me “Ulysses”. (I regret that I haven’t read that yet, though.) My favorite book would have been something by Hawthorne–probably “The Marble Faun”, which I created a class around in college–but “A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man” was way up there. I strongly related to it. And an acquaintance my freshman year of college told me I was the only person she’d ever met who talked in stream of consciousness.

I’m fairly sure I’ve demonstrated at least some stream-of-consciousness writing here at the blog! (Not on purpose, I just think that way!)

Kira says:

Oh, hey! I bet that’s what I like about Dalí’s paintings! They’re attempts to paint the subconscious, but they do have that sort of stream-of-consciousness sensibility, as if nothing is edited out, no matter how weird. (Of course, in Dalí’s case, weird is the point.)

Kira says:

I should start passing out copies of “A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man” to people who wonder why I ramble and have trouble being concise. They have NO IDEA how many thoughts I’m leaving out of the things I say and write!

Kira says:

As for Marina Abramovi?, her installation piece (I do believe you have the correct term, Rachel!) with the staring was one I did resonate with.

I have been uncomfortable looking other people in the eyes since at least high school and probably middle school, but I also like staring contests, so I’ve had a few of those over the years.

Consciously, at least, I concentrated on anything but seeing the other person’s eyes while staring, and I always have a lot of things to think about, so that wasn’t difficult. I remember speculating, on learning about Marina’s installation, whether I could do that myself.

Kira says:

Lilian, I’ve had a lot of thoughts over the years about the “upside of stress”. Also about suffering (more along the lines of “Is there an upside?” than “Here’s the upside!”).

Kira says:

I particularly loved the point in the movie “Inside Out” when the brain characters finally figured out what Sadness’s usefulness was. I could relate very well to that. It was my teenage angsty depressions that led me to the person who became a close enough friend to help me out of the extremely serious adult depression I later found myself in.

But I don’t see that as a universal upside to those teenage lows; I see it as part of having a blessed life. If I were a role-playing game character I’d have a high Luck stat. A boyfriend in college once told me I reminded him of a character in a book who was the luckiest girl in that world.

Kira says:

I agree that positive thinking requires acknowledging the negative aspects. I am a naturally positive person, but the depression often made me concentrate on everything that was or could go wrong.

I doubt I needed that much negativity to ground my positive thoughts. I may have needed it for other reasons, but I may not have needed it at all. Even so, there are upsides: I survived it, and I can draw on the negative thoughts when I need to (acting, input in assessing situations).

Kira says:

David, I have a poem from high school that’s essentially about charisma used as a front. I was applying to colleges at the time.

My college counselor had told me that basically, my applications should say, “I’m a goddess and here’s why!”

My insecurity made that very uncomfortable, so I wrote the poem because I knew I could present a convincing facade.

Kira says:

Not exactly what you meant, but it reminded me of the poem. And as I said at the beginning, “Oh so many thoughts!”

Another: I was starting to feel depressive by 7th grade, and yet my classmates voted me “Happiest Person” in my social studies class. The teacher had small awards for each category and mine was a Bluebird of Happiness. I still have it somewhere and when I come across it, I want to display it because it finally fits!

Kira says:

(Gee, it kinda feels like I’ve “unleashed the Kraken.” At least I’m not spouting Star Wars quotes, after having watched the new movie and then the first 3–Episodes IV – VI–over the holiday weekend.)

Kira says:

(And, okay, I’m terribly curious now—do 3 hyphens make a dash? Because 2 don’t seem to, given that my 2-hyphen dashes look the same length as my hyphen above.)

Kira says:

(Yes! And also, the blogging software is smart—it knows that an en dash is called for when using one to replace “to”, so 2 hyphens make an en dash and 3 make an em dash. Yay! Good thing I put a properly-used hyphen in that previous comment!)

Isabelle says:

Super interesting, thank you!!!

Lilian says:

It s also worth noting that meekly giving away your power in order to gain recognition is something people do every day.

Lilian says:

Think of all the put upon mothers I this world who have given up hope of having genuine power in their lives.

Maybe marina will discover that fame, money and respect from others can t replace a genuine sense of personal power. Even if it less flashy and heroic than what she is doing.

Lilian says:

Kira : you are awesome and hilarious. ?. Comment and post as much as you like.

Rachel says:

@Kira – love your comment no.20, lol!

@Rachel: thanks!

Lilian, awesome *and* hilarious? Wow, can’t get much better than that! 😀

Jesse says:

I like how you always find the best in people

Lilian says:

Yes 🙂 Not to be insensitive about some of what you’ve shared, but you have a wonderful flow about you.