Why Would Teachers of Enlightenment Not Necessarily BE Living in Enlightenment?

In your beautiful enthusiasm for personal development, it's still smart to develop consumer skills.

In your beautiful enthusiasm for personal development, it’s still smart to develop consumer skills.

A plaintive series of comments came to my blog today from GAYANEE, who had proposed her beloved guru for my Enlightenment Life List. And then, in Comment 1973, I supplied the results of my aura reading research for discerning Enlightenment:

“Obviously he is a beloved teacher to you, GAYANEE. However I do not find him ready for my Enlightenment Life List, not at the time of this photograph.”

GAYANEE responded very mildly and graciously, I thought, with these words:

“As a student it is a bit of a mind twister for me that how some long standing and deeply loved teachers that claim to be enlightened and teaching enlightenment don’t make Rose’s list.

“I am more at peace with energy healers and emotional healers who don’t make the list as I understand how there can be gifted healers who could be of great help for clearing STUFF without them be in enlightenment.

“But when teachers whose public mission is to help you go ‘all the way’ by being a beacon and an example don’t have “a human nervous system has become strong enough, STUFF-free enough, to be permanently crystal clear” that’s concerning my human mind!”

Good questions, indeed. I was so touched by what GAYANEE wrote that I dropped everything to write today’s article.

So What Are Some Possible Reasons?

Why Might a Teacher of Enlightenment Might Not BE in Enlightenment?

1. I could be wrong. Rose Rosetree has skills. She does not know everything.
  2. Semantics. The guru or teacher means something different by Enlightenment. In particular…
  3. Many, many people confuse (what I call) spiritual AWAKENING with Enlightenment. I would put GAYANEE’s guru in that category. Next time I offer my “Enlightenment Basics” teleseminar, you can learn a LOT more than the little article to which I just linked. But that article is a good start for understanding differences that could be very helpful for discernment along your personal path to enlightenment.
  4. People in Enlightenment can be corrupted as human personalities, or may fall into extreme spiritual addiction. You may know that, for this reason, I have removed some beloved people from my Enlightenment Life List. If you wish to learn more about this, set up a session with me for personal mentoring and we can discuss this in detail, along with any particular questions you might have or auras of people you might wish me to read in detail for you.
  5. Shysters do exist, in Enlightenment Coaching as in any line of work for which idealistic people will pay good money. Highlights for me, from the Enlightenment Life List candidates include an alleged teacher of Enlightenment whose preposterous claims included that this was her first incarnation on earth. (Talk about being super-special! 😉 )

Another fraud, in my opinion, was a picture-perfect guru proposed by JNANA. The popular guru looked as though every curl on his beard had been professionally styled and gelled.

He bore as much resemblance to a REAL person in Enlightenment as a certain movie actor, Charlton Heston had to Moses, whom the actor played in “The Ten Commandments.” Heston also tried to serve humanity outside of his movie roles; for five years he served as president for the National Rifle Association.

Or think about Morgan Freeman, of the splendidly resonant voice and blissful manner, who has portrayed God on film. Yet he’s a self-proclaimed pothead, and proud of it.

Troubled People Can Be Drawn to ANY Position of Authority

What’s the worst motivation of all for some Enlightenment pretenders? Beyond religious confusion or fraud or hypocrisy, there can be a desire to take advantage of people at their most corruptible. This problem extends to many helping professions.

For example, I have facilitated cutting cords of attachment and doing sessions of Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis® to help clients clean up from:

• Ministers who raped
  • Spiritual teachers who lied
  • Psychiatrists and psychotherapists who acted unethically
  • Energy healers who hit on their students
  • Even a beloved movie star who stalked my client for no good reason (from this lifetime, anyway)

Earth School? it’s complicated. I’m glad that “Spotlight” just won an Academy Award as best picture. Besides superb acting by Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo, this true story was based on reporting at The Boston Globe that broke the scandal of sexual predators among Catholic priests.

In an exceptionally eloquent acceptance speech, producer Michael Sugar said, “This film gave a voice to survivors, and this Oscar amplifies that voice, which we hope will become a choir that will resonate all the way to the Vatican. Pope Francis, it’s time to protect the children and restore the faith.”

What Can Protect Us Best as Consumers?

Might I recommend learning Stage Three Energetic Literacy? You can read auras perfectly well on your own, and without having to nominate at my blog or waiting until I review a new batch of nominations once or twice a month.

Please, Blog-Buddies, make it full energetic literacy, not the fast-and-simple kind that is so inaccurate. Become a smart Post-New-Age Consumer.

David B. put it so well recently, here at the blog:

We need language literacy to use Google.

We need energetic literacy to Google energy.

Is It Bad Form Or Judgmental to Speak Out?

Teaching tale here, Blog-Buddies…. Once I was teaching a workshop in Los Angeles. One of my students brought in flyers for “Joe,” a local guy who was teaching a workshop about Enlightenment.

It was a pretty tacky thing to do, promoting a different workshop during my workshop. But that isn’t what annoyed me most.

What really annoyed me was Joe’s photo, proudly displayed on the flyer. Reading his aura, it became obvious to me that this man was preposterous in this role, he was far from Enlightenment.

I commented a bit, about how Joe’s intellect was over-functioning in a way that he was perhaps confusing with Enlightenment, but really — why would such a person consider that he had the standing to TEACH Enlightenment?

Well, that, in turn, became really, really annoying to many in my workshop. 😉

“How judgmental!” They were shocked, shocked!

How Do You React, Blog-Buddies?

Does it concern you when spiritual teachers… aren’t?

Gayanee says:

Wow Rose! Thank you for dropping everything and taking the time to address my concerns.

I am curious to what everyone has to say. And I will comment here again after I read through the articles you pointed to.

Gayanee says:

Is it being judgmental when you are pointing out your observations?

Judging seem to have a bad rep in the New Age and spiritual communities. Discernment is a form of judging isn’t is?

And we need discernment to live life here on Earth.

GAYANEE, I agree with you completely about the need for discernment. Still, I wonder, is “discernment a form of judging”?

I think they are two different things entirely.

For instance, you might taste a golden delicious apple and compare that flavor to that of a gala apple. That’s discernment.

Or you could look at the yellow apple and sneer, “Any apples that aren’t red are stupid.” That behavior would be judgmental.

Seems to me. What do you think?

Raininmai says:

It seems that so many people are looking for a guru. I appreciate it, Rose, that you want to teach people to be their own guides, using their own discernment. It’s refreshing.

Isabella C. says:

I agree, Rose. As far as I can see:

Non-judgment’s natural companions are things like acceptance, compassion, humility, willingness to learn.

Non-discernment’s natural companions are things like stupidity, denseness, rigidity, ignorance (often willful), and denial. And suffering. And numbness. And stuckness.

I think they’re very different.

Rosanna Tufts says:

Granny Smith Apples are a voice-over artist’s best friend, and they’re GREEN! Eat a few slices before the recording session, and you’ll get a clean sound with no “saliva pops!”

Lilian says:

Well put Isabella C. lol. Good words. I like lists of words. 🙂

Jnana says:

Rose, could the picture perfect guru be nomination 1951?

It was nominated by one with a similar name to mine but not me.

Jnana says:

Wait a minute! Are you referring to Sadhguru whom I proposed?
    Goodness! I wouldn’t have guessed that from your comment. … hadn’t crossed the threshold to enlightenment.
    A fraud is seriously off the path of truth.

Fraud is a pretty harsh word, JNANA. Still, yes, I was commenting on this guy:

From my perspective, after researching some of his chakra databanks, this picture perfect spiritual authority is a pretty sad guru.

Leo says:

In my experience here at Earth School, I’ve found that most people that hold extreme views tend to begin to filter all information through that ideological lens.

They lose the ability to think moderately and choose adherence to ideology over self-discernment or intellectual moderation.

Leo says:

This phenomenon can be seen on the fringes of the political right and the political left, equally on display with the bible thumpers as with the holier-than-thou hippies.

One’s whole identity and ensuing opinions are dictated by whatever flavor of rigid thinking one has chosen to adopt.

Leo says:

I discussed this phenomenon with a friend yesterday, and I asserted: “garbage in, garbage out.”

Meaning, adopting extremist views distorts ones ability to see the world in a measured way, and makes one more susceptible to overall stupidity.

David B says:

Excellent Post, Rose.
    Another variation I’d add is someone who has a big Experience of Unity/ the divine, etc and then sees themselves as a changed person, perhaps “enlightened” and begins to teach.

This used to be more common in the 60’s and 70’s.

David B says:

Another issue that’s become more common in recent years is people who have an authentic awakening but have not yet unpacked the garbage and begin teaching prematurely. They share their shift but also some of the trash.

This would be an example from Rose’s #3.

David B says:

A further issue we discussed on a panel last fall was the many teachers who self-qualify, put out a shingle and have no support structure.

Teachers coming out of a tradition more commonly have something of that to avoid premature launch and later support.

David B says:

I’ve seen several teachers (including examples on Rose’s list) become surrounded by yes-people, convinced of their own self-story and go a little sideways.

There is always a human there and peer support is very important.

David B says:

Interesting re: #10.
    He also used to call himself Isha. As he became better known, an Aussie teacher teaching by the same name ended up changing her “handle”.

David B says:

Isabella!
    Comment 5 is excellent. This distinction is greatly expanded when you look at the reverse…

Amanda says:

I do think the New Age can confuse discernment with judgement.

It feels good to expect the best of everyone and it takes work to see that at best this is naive.

There’s a subtle but quite distinct self-sabotage at work when we put emphasis on being ‘nice’.

I’m all for discernment. It’s realistic and actually loving as opposed to the ‘sit on the fence’ lack of self-protection that comes with assuming the best, tra-la-la thinking.

Amanda

Gayanee says:

Rose, about comment 3 total agreement there. I was pointing to judgmental vs having good judgement as well.

Jean says:

Great thought-provoking post. Thanks Rose!

Am appreciating all the comments from everyone…

Gayanee says:

I enjoyed reading all the articles ypu pointed to and some of the comments. A comment made by Grace W just stood out for me.

“Staying focused on the present moment, on objective reality, on what I want to create in life, and not on the way anything is supposed to be according to any particular concept.”

Gayanee says:

The word Enlightened is so very confusing to me.

But that’s because I tend to spend too much time trying understand these concepts.

Well, GAYANEE, you’ve offered one interesting interpretation in Comment #24.

Consider this alternative reason for words like “Enlightenment” and “Emlightened” to be causing you confusion right now.

This blog post is dedicated to exploring how it could be, that a well-meaning guru could not have the standing to teach about Enlightenment from direct experience.

This post was inspired by my (admittedly controversial) research into a guru you proposed, no doubt certain that he belonged on my Enlightenment Life List.

In all honesty I could not put him there.

If “thinking about Enlightenment” brought people problems, I would never have devoted so many hours to making this a theme at my blog.

It’s “thinking about confused, inaccurate, or inapplicable ideas about Enlightenment” that causes confusion. In my personal opinion.

Gayanee says:

I don’t see anything wrong with having a guru and/or teachers to assist us in this process.

Some need it at certain points of their process.

In my particular case I was living in a country where I had no extended family, a brand new mother wile having spontaneous kundalini symptoms and spiritual experiences I had no context for.

Gayanee says:

I needed support from some one who knew better than me.

I wanted spiritual community that at least didn’t dismiss or thought I was strange for going through what I was going through.

Gayanee says:

And while we develop our own energy literacy, we have to turn to those who we trust to guide us in picking teachers and healers.

That’s why I’m here and that’s why I appriciate this forum so much.

Gayanee says:

I am not a movement oriented person nor do I have devotion for one particular living or no living teacher.

But me and my partner was thinking about moving closer to be around this particular teacher for support and community.

Gayanee says:

We want to make that decision with discernment.

I have a lot of respect for Rose’s work and have trust in her ability to read auras.

So it obviously raised many questions in my mind when he didn’t make the list.

No decisions are made yet. Explorations and healing continues….

Kira says:

I think part of the confusion over “is discernment judgment” is due to connotations.

The word “judgment” can mean something technical: what the judge says in a court case.

In common speech, it can mean an opinion of the “rightness” or “wrongness”, usually moral, of something or someone.

Kira says:

But it can also mean discernment, as in the phrase “Use your best judgment.”

English is a wonderful language for writing poetry because it’s so flexible; but it’s also potentially confusing.

Kira says:

That’s why posts such as this one are so helpful. In the context of spirituality, judgment does indeed have the “right vs. wrong” meaning, hence Isabella’s comparison of its opposite, non-judgment, to discernment’s opposite.

It never hurts to make plain the potentially hidden connotations of the words being used. 🙂

Gayanee says:

“Well, may I suggest as gently as possible, you may still be quite strongly influenced in your thinking, using knowledge from somebody whose ideas about Enlightenment — while well meaning — weren’t quite TRUE.”

Thanks for being gentle,Rose! 🙂 Yes, this is what I am exploring.

Gayanee says:

Kira, comment #34 Oh I totally agree! As you probably guessed this is my second language and even after using it daily for over a decade I am still catching up!

Isabella C. says:

David B, it feels good to get an exclamation point out of you! Thank you!

Isabella C. says:

Something else that is important about discernment: It often requires courage to develop.

ISABELLA, I couldn’t agree more with your Comment #39. I wonder if you — and other Blog-Buddies — would like to give an example of a time in your life when discernment wasn’t a terribly easy choice, and it required courage.

Because on the face of things, how could it make sense? Why would the rightful use of intelligence, discernment, require COURAGE?

Sarah says:

Oh gosh, using discernment can definitely require courage!

I think sometimes a lack of distinction between “judgment” and “discernment” in the minds of those I care about is what has caused me to need courage to be discerning.

Sarah says:

For instance: Using my discernment and self-authority to decide “No, I -don’t- want [something people are telling me that I should want], and I -don’t- think it will be healthy and good for me in the long run!”

When that something is: belonging to a certain political party/voting a certain way, eating a certain diet, subscribing to specific religious or spiritual practices/beliefs, working in a particular career, etc.

So often, the choice not to participate in these things is taken by others as either judgmental (of their choices) or lazy/ignorant/just plain stupid.

Sarah says:

It can take a lot of courage to make choices that you know will be met with condescension or pity by people in your life who don’t understand where you’re coming from.

It has taken a lot of courage for me to be around well-meaning people who think they have all of the answers for living a good life, and try to “educate me”… but whose ideas of “a good life” are worlds away from my own.

Sarah says:

“If you’re so spiritual, how often do you read your Bible?”

“If you love animals so much, how can you eat them?”

“If you have [xyz] degree, why don’t you work [abc] job so you can make more $$$?”

David B says:

Isabella
    You’re welcome! And I quite agree on comment #39 as well.

David B says:

Rose
    Good question. I can think of many examples.

One common place though is with intuition. I use my intuition and inner knowing a lot. But I also use discernment and test it with reality.

Gayanee says:

oh gosh! May be it’s lack of my language skills or may be it’s lack of understanding.. I thought discernment was inner knowing! Now that’s two different things…?