Lessons from My Garden: Easter Blessings

easter egg, lily

Joyous Easter to you, Blog-Buddies, if you celebrate this day as a holiday. And everyday inspiration if you don’t.

It would be great if you would share comments below about the best that Easter means to you.

I’ll do my bit in the article that follows.

For me, this holiday is about love. The triumph of love.

What Does and Doesn’t Matter to Me about Easter

Warning: What follows might seem highly controversial. For me, just me, what matters about the story of the risen Jesus isn’t that he could appear in an astral body after his crucifixion. Every ghost does that after death. I’m not saying that what Jesus did was exactly like a ghost.

But, again, just my perspective (as an Enlightenment Coach in the Age of Awakening): When Jesus returned from the dead, it was more comparable to what ghosts do than the traditional Christian perspective.  (See more about that in comments that follow, #27 – 33.)

It doesn’t impress me so much, either, that those closest to Jesus were able to see and feel his presence. Beautiful though that was.

To me, this is a magnificent variation on something that happens on earth occasionally even when a deceased person doesn’t become a ghost. The “departed” can pay a call to say goodbye.

You don’t have to be a psychic to have sensed or seen or heard the presence of a loved one who was dying. Or to experience a celestial condolence call from someone who recently made a transition out of human embodiment.

Hasn’t that happened to you once or more? It has happened to me just a couple of times, and I’m no psychic.

Inspiration, Whatever You Believe about Resurrection

So what does inspire me about Easter? Love. The love that Jesus left as his legacy.

Jesus taught love so boldly. By all accounts his disciples took that love and lived it. I suppose that, after their master was physically gone, they drew upon love. That helped them keep on doing the best work they could, not to “Found Christianity” but to help others.

The loving legacy of Jesus can serve anyone as true inspiration.

So here’s a lighthearted gardening story to illustrate how love can help a person to grow and thrive. And maybe help solve certain gardening problems as well.

Confessions of a Loving, But Often Clueless, Gardener

My main credential as a gardener is caring about my plants. What could be called a serious “vegetable love.”

Admittedly I didn’t grow up knowing a thing about gardens. They weren’t a big feature of my childhood in Flushing, Queens.

In fact, I don’t remember seeing my first daffodil until I went to college. But I do love plants about as much as you might expect from a woman who has chosen the legal name of “Rose Rosetree.”

Besides, among my assortment of empath gifts, one of them is Plant Empath Ability.

Well, to get to the point, I did go out one day and plant my four new arborvitae, the sweet evergreens that promise to grow approximately to my height, 5 feet and change.

Planting these tree-sized responsibilities, three hours I spent: drenching my clothing in mud and my mood in happiness.

The work was physically demanding, though — since the part of my back yard where the trees were being planted was on a short but very steep hill.

Four Trees, Planted in a Sort of Downward Cascade

Tree #1, was named “Little Tree A,” in the spirit of Dr. Seuss. It was planted straight and true.

Of course! I’m a much better gardener now compared to several years ago, when I earnestly followed the instructions that came with my mail order roses and… planted my rose bushes upside down.

Tree #2, Little Tree B, also looked remarkably well seated in its new earthly home.

By contrast, I was beginning to look not so great. Unbelievably muddy, for starters. Plus I was beginning to huff and puff a bit, and not like a vibrantly healthy “Big Bad Wolf.”

Tree #3, Little Marco. Just kidding, really…

Little Tree C was definitely well positioned, when you looked at it straight on.

But what did I see after I got up and staggered down the hill and caught a look from a side angle?

Sadly, my little tree was tilted over like a very drunk passenger in the subway who was getting ready to faint.

About this I speak from experience. Not being drunk myself, but observing the man next to me when I took my very first subway ride in Paris. The guy suddenly passed outm dropping to the floor like something you might hold in your hand and then let go of completely.

Immediately another passenger leapt to his rescue, tenderly picked him up, and placing him onto a little folding seat. Is that the purpose of those tiny little folding seats in the Paris metro? Did the builders deliberately install a passed-out drunkards’ seat in every French subway car? Fascinating! I’ll always love Paris.

Well, I wasn’t going to stop planting my trees. I didn’t know quite what to do about Little Tree C, but I was vividly aware that this gardener’s reserves of energy were fading fast.

So I proceeded to plant Little Tree D. Not exactly a great job. Better at least than what I had inflicted on Little Tree C.

“Help!” I Asked My Friend Tracy. “What Do I Do Now?”

Several days later, I called Tracy. She’s a landscape designer part time, a full-time realtor. An angel full time and then some. Luckily for me, Trady has been my friend for over 20 years.

“Will it matter?” I whimpered to her. “Or do you think my tree might somehow straighten itself out, like growing towards the fun.”

Tracy broke the news to me, “Arborvitae likes to be straight.”

And then she told me what to do. If it worked I wouldn’t have to dig up my tree and prepare for more immersion in mud. (When gardening, that’s how I roll. By contrast, after hours of garden work Tracy will look immaculate. By contrast, I will look like a three-year-old and feel like Lucy Ricardo.)

What Saved My Tree

First I watered him well. Then I knelt in front of him, wrapped my arms around him for a hug, and leaned on him hard.

It worked. Little Tree C straightened up beautifully.

The power of a hug, Blog-Buddies. And maybe, too, the power of love.

It can fix a lot.

Easter blessings of love… to all of us who could use just a little bit more!

Jnana says:

Planting your roses upside down? Too funny!

Jnana says:

The version I read was that Jesus did not die on the cross though he appeared to have. He was a member of the Essenes. They knew how to revive him.
    Then he left the country and began his wanderings to far off lands.

No way to confirm which version is correct which is frustrating but I prefer this version because it’s less sad.

Julie says:

Hi Rose,

I was wondering about those trees! Glad they got planted. And lucky trees indeed, to be the recipient of your love, and a hug!

Happy Easter!

Amanda says:

I am sure your trees will thank you by gwtting bigger and happier by the year, and you’ll always remember this Easter!

For me, Easter is spring. For a long time it’s been my timing to plant potatoes. It’s daffodils and primroses and tiny pale pink piglets.

This year we are on the North Norfolk coast and close to the great pilgrimage site of Walsingham, so it has felt far more Christian than usual.

Happy Easter to all, whatever it means to you!

Amanda

David B says:

For me Easter is near or at the time of my first sons birth. That day was also the day the first daffodils in our garden bloomed.

Interesting point about ghosts. Certainly has been experienced here but I’d assume the presence of Jesus was somewhat stronger than average.

David B says:

Jesus is also one of those beings who sticks around to help after their human incarnation.

Less useful to me to adorn churches with a crucifix. Also to say things like “died for our sins” if he didn’t die.

David B says:

The earliest depictions of Jesus where clean-shaven as was customary in his time.

There is substantial evidence of his travels in India after the Biblical events. Also of some of his disciples. Even a final resting place in N India.

David B says:

Happy Easter!

Lilian says:

Thanks for those comments David B.

Also, Amanda, I’ve visited Walsingham!

Kira says:

Not sure how connected with Easter this story is, but it does connect with your tree story.

My parents planted 3 redbud trees one year. The first 2 were fine, but the burlap around the 3rd broke, spilling the soil that was supposed to help it acclimatize to its new spot.

Kira says:

I don’t think I really knew what the burlap wrap was for at the time, but my parents were worried about the tree, so I was too.

They were planted out in front of the house, and I walked to and from school every day, so I passed the trees all the time. I talked to “my” tree almost every time I passed it, and kissed its leaves or branches on occasion. Always touched it somewhere.

Kira says:

The result? It had already been the smallest when they planted it, but it grew to match the others in size. Eventually, a plant disease that was going around came to the redbuds, but mine outlived the other two. Even though I’d been gone from that house for several years by then.

Kira says:

Actually, I did just think of an Easter-y plant story. My amaryllis, which bloomed for the 4th time shortly before my birthday (3/14), is going to bloom again.

So for Easter, it is sporting drooping dead flowers from that recent bloom plus a brand new flower stalk that is avidly seeking the light (and I probably need to turn the pot again to get it to straighten).

Isabelle says:

What Easter means and meant to me, personally, this year, was to walk in the forest and look at all the Leberblümchen = hepatica everywher and be thankful for feeling the way I feel.

Isabelle says:

For a short moment I remembered how I used to feel 1,5 years ago. It, for example, wasn’t ‘possible’ for me to take a walk in the forest and really be present and enjoy being in the forest, seeing nature at ist best. Spiritual addiction and all that.

Isabelle says:

I was amazed by the beauty and lightness I experienced now. Not controlling myself (like I used to do before), not trying to fix my thoughts etc.; just being normally human.

Wow, everyone! Thanks.

Jesse says:

Fascinating all the different variations of the story of Easter! I thought Jesus appeared in a physical body after crucifixion.

Jesse says:

Which is why I have questions regarding the terms human based spirituality vs physical based spirituality…..

Jesse says:

I thought Gary Busey said in a TV commercial something to the effect of “We’re all angels in human suits!”

Jesse says:

Maybe we are all humans in physical suits!

Jesse says:

To me, Jesus rising from the dead in physical form is….the WHOLE POINT! Maybe the physical is more fluid than we believe?

Jesse says:

So….what is human based spirituality? what does it mean to be human? Is being human the same as being physical? Did we come here to have a human experience? or a physical experience?

JESSE, thank you for all these comments. And thank you for not just snorting in disgust and resolving never to have anything further to do with me and RES. (Which would be a shame. It’s just one blog post, after all.)

Sometimes the views at this blog are highly controversial, and you may not agree with them.

So whether that’s the case, or you’re simply curious, what I’d greatly prefer is that you ask questions. Or state your different views. As you did here, JESSE.

And I can’t even claim, as more and more communications companies seem to do now, “The company that gives you this DVD is not responsible for the opinions of people who talk on it,” etc. Haha.

Golly, how horrible is it for people who speak to say their own opinions? Actors commenting on a DVD, Rose speaking up at a personal blog, etc.

Not that you were conveying horror at all, JESSE. 🙂

ISABELLE, about your Comment #14, would you please translate “Leberblümchen”?

Latin names like “Hepatica” are well and good, but this language enthusiast scents there is something much nicer about “Leberblümchen.”

Now, JESSE, you’re so tactful. I suspect that, to most Christians, the whole point is that Jesus appeared in a physical body after crucifixion.

Of course, I cannot say, from the vantage point of this lifetime what happened then. But these days I have been thinking and learning a great deal, in conjunction with editing “The New Strong.”

Living now, in this Age of Awakening, it is relatively easy for any human being to have awareness slip-slide into astral awareness.

And all the while, the person assumes “This is human.”

For those who had been in the extraordinary presence of Jesus during his teaching years — and especially for those who were close to them — isn’t it reasonable to think that they had very awakened consciousness?

Even though they weren’t living now, and this sort of perception was usually very much harder for people back then, these followers of Jesus were special.

Their consciousness had been altered by the huge and transformative darshan of Jesus.

As for Jesus, he came into that embodiment with huge consciousness and then it probably grew considerably, between what he learned and how he served and also the beautiful karma generated by how he did what he did.

Just about anybody who dies can hang around earth as a ghost, in some form of astral body.

Or a soul can come back to visit, wearing some form of astral body.

It’s even in movies. Must be true! 😉

So here’s my sense of some of the truth of what may have happened with the resurraction.

Jesus returned in a very, very human-like astral body.

He could do this because he was so adept with his consciousness, and because he chose to do this.

Meanwhile the people who interacted with him had a high enough consciousness to move into an astral, or even Divine, degree of perceiving truth…

A truth of his form and presence that was accessible to them because of their level of consciousness.

So that’s what I meant. And I did wonder, when writing the blog post, if anyone was going to note my rather controversial interpretation that was included as a summary only.

Well done, JESSE. Nice catch! And thank you for helping me to communicate better. I’ll add more comments below.

Also, I’m going back later to the main article and adding a little clarification, a “NOTE” in red.

Regarding your Comment #22, “Maybe the physical is more fluid than we believe?”

This is very important to understand, seems to me.

In this Age of Awakening, physical reality is NOT more fluid.

Human consciousness is more fluid.

Yes, human consciousness is more fluid. Veil gone = easy access to the astral, everybody suddenly “Energy sensitive.”

Talk about big deals! BIG DEAL!

It’s so important to clarify this. Which is one of the reasons why I wrote “The New Strong.” To clarify this, put it in context, remove confusions, give people easy ways to thrive in this Age of Awakening.

Today I’m making more progress towards preparing the book for publishing. A delight!

Rachel says:

Just a sloppy side note from me: isn’t it the case that the figure of ‘Jesus’ is found not just in Christianity, but also, for example, in Zoroastrianism?

Rachel says:

Not to question that there was a literal, historical figure of Jesus born in Bethlehem – but don’t some scholars believe that ‘Jesus’ is essentially a myth that transcends any particular religion?

Rachel says:

So Jesus’s death and resurrection are ‘mythologically true,’ rather than literally true.

The sad aspect of this is that the West no longer considers anything ‘mythological’ to be ‘true.’

If it isn’t literally, factually true, it isn’t true; it’s a lie.

Rachel says:

Whereas, in fact, a myth can be even more true than a literal fact, because it tells us fundamental truths about what it means to be human e.g. what does it mean for us to die and be reborn?

(You could put that in modern language in terms of psychological growth and transformation, I suppose…)

RACHEL, these comments are so appreciated. For sure, the life of Jesus could be true, or myth, or both for anyone, or neither, as part of a magnificent spiritual path.

Jesus Christ could also be part of your path as a presence, alive in your room right now if you ask him to be, like any Divine Being. And not in a flesh-and-blood body, but who needs that? You’ve got your own human body. And yet you can co-create together.

I was especially struck by the power of your observations about myth in Comments 39 and 40. Of course you, being a writer, would understand the great transformative power of myth. 🙂