Coletta Long, Ph.D., a Past-Life Regression Pioneer, My Inspiration

In loving memory of THE past-life regression pioneer, Dr. Coletta Long

In loving appreciation  of THE past-life regression pioneer, Dr. Coletta Long

FINAL NOTE: Today, April 20, I did receive word in the evening that Coletta Long has now completed her transition from earth. What a beautiful, triumphant lifetime of extraordinary service!

Rest in peace, Dear Teacher, but don’t rest too long. Both of us know, you’ll always be in some kind of body somewhere.

NOTE: Less than 24 hours after receiving a notification sent in error, I’ve learned from one of Coletta Long’s sons that she had a nasty fall and requires medical attention. That’s all.

Dr. Coletta Long is still very much alive. As her son Rocky emailed me, “Her mind stays sharp and her heart is as generous as ever.” He also told me, “Coletta is finishing her last days here on earth thinking of her friends,” and that’s how the mix-up occurred.

I’m so glad you’re thinking that way, Coletta. So many friends, and so many people you have helped — it is good to think about of us. Folks who have done far less have become world famous. You’re just getting the so-beautiful karma. 🙂 The following words apply while you’re still with us, except for the “was” part.

Dr. and Rev. Coletta Long was a clinical psychologist and Unity minister, but her claim to spiritual fame is that she developed a unique style of past-life regression.

What did she call it? Simply “past-life regression therapy.”

And what was her amazing contribution to this specialty within hypnotism?

Way ahead of her time, Dr. Long was energy sensitive (She had what I would call the beginnings of Stage Two Energetic Literacy.)

So she developed a way to facilitate past-life regression that would help clients to progress emotionally, spiritually; sometimes even resolving problems related to physical health.

Dr. Coletta Long developed her system around recognition of “Frozen Blocks of Stuck Energy.”

Coletta found effective techniques for using the power of the client’s subconscious mind to identify which incidents were most important for solving a client’s problem, then moving out that frozen block for keeps.

After I trained with Coletta, I wound up taking the basics she’d taught me and making so many changes that it became appropriate for me to name the system I use for past-life regression, and even trademark it as Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis® (SEAH). I’ve trained pracitioners, even apprenticed some.

Following in the footsteps of my great teacher, yes, I facilitate sessions to help clients and I also teach the skills — as I plan to do later this year, date not yet determined.

Of course, regular readers of this blog are familiar with the term originated by Rev. Coletta Long, “frozen blocks.” It is one of the 15 kinds of STUFF addressed in my field, Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES). And I’ve developed some other skills for permanent removal of frozen blocks (such as blessings of light and bonus healing questions when cutting cords of attachment).

Still nothing, and I mean nothing, moves out LARGE frozen blocks of stuck energy like past-life regression, either Coletta-style or Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis®.

Modestly, Coletta Long Ruled the Field of Past-Life Regression

Once, when training me, Coletta mentioned this in an offhand way

“I’ve probably facilitated more past-life regressions than anyone alive.”

That’s because Dr. Long began facilitating past-life regression therapy at the age of 18. She continued steadily, right until retirement around age 85.

Until Coletta retired for health reasons, she was doing 15-20 sessions per week of regression therapy — either 2 or 3 hours each. Plus making her own appointments, helped by no receptionist or other assistants.

Not just “No retirement,” folks. It was easily 50 hours a week. For example, Coletta responded within 24 hours to every question I ever asked her, setting a standard for how to mentor with unfailing responsiveness and generous help.

Mostly she helped individual clients. In addition, Coletta also did excellent group work with hypnosis and past-life regression. And she did it ethically, powerfully. With inspiration.

Why did she work so hard? One reason, I suspect, was that inspiration.

Coletta Long’s work was at least as inspired as you would expect the work of a minister to be. While running a Unity church, she also juggled a huge number of client for past-life regression. Eventually even she couldn’t work quite that hard, so she had to choose.

What did she choose? The past-life regression. Fortunately.

Because there are many great Unity ministers but only one pioneer of this caliber in the field of past-life regression.

Coletta Long’s Two Best Sayings

Even if you never get to experience past-life regression from practitioners she has trained, at least you can enjoy Coletta Long’s wisdom in the form of two wise sayings.

“You’ll always be in some body somewhere.”

Once Coletta Long told me a story about her beloved father, who died young. He understood the concept of reincarnation and told her how great it was. “You take on a fresh, new body,” he said.

That’s true. I believe you can have all the incarnations you desire. And if you have some sessions of past-life regression, you just might understand at a gut level just how true this is.

Personally and professionally, I find Coletta’s saying to be a powerful way of moving beyond fear of death. If this helps you, too, that’s Coletta Long. Because she gave wisdom so generously and freely.

“There are no innocent victims.”

Again and again, past-life regression proves this to be true.

With the methodology developed by Dr. Long, it’s routine to not only find out WHY certain awful things have happened to you, but to heal the stuck frozen blocks that remain. Blog-Buddies, that’s the process to seek. As a consumer of past-life regression work, don’t go to a practitioner who just helps you find the story.

Find someone who can get the energy aspect cleaned up. For good.

And maybe, like me, you can use Coletta’s idea about “innocent victims” when you read the wailing and victim-talk that are so prevalent in popular culture. To me, unhelpful in the extreme!

What I’ll Remember Most about Coletta Long

I got the news of her death in the form of an email. It came a couple of hours after I had facilitated a session of Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis.

The news was expected. She had been living with family for years. But she really does live on in my heart. To me, she is family of sorts. This teacher feels kinship with every helpful teacher, official or unofficial.

And Coletta Long was one of my greatest teachers, both in terms of knowledge and generosity.

I’m only one of the students whose work is a living memorial to her great breakthroughs in the field of past-life regression. About her courageous and visionary work, I use a term that many fling about easily but I  do not. In the field of hypnotism and past-life regression, Coletta Long was a genius.

Please Share Your Stories of Sessions with Coletta, Or Training with Her

That’s why we have a COMMENTS box below. Write anything you like, really. Because how often do you read about a person of her caliber.

But none of these moves out the large-intensity frozen blocks. That requires the work of past-life regression, either Coletta Long’s pioneering system or the one I created with help from her. With suuch wonderful, help!

I never had a session with Coletta, but I have had the benefit of her training you, Rose, both as a client of Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis, and as an apprentice in your SEAH mentoring program.

I see the enormous benefit of healing large-intensity frozen blocks in myself and my clients.

I will always be grateful to Coletta Long for pioneering this field, and to you, Rose, for building on it.

In our Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis training, I got to hear recordings of Coletta’s voice.

She was soft-spoken, yet firm, and sounded gentle and kind. And she helped people so much.

Sarah says:

This was so touching, Rose.

I never had the fortune of meeting or studying with Dr. Long, although I have definitely had the opportunity to benefit from her work through you, and I am so very grateful for that.

I feel a bit wistful. I had hoped to maybe meet her one day. I guess that will have to wait for another life.

Love for you both! And for Jessica, and other SEAH apprentices who are carrying the work forward.

SARAH and JESSICA, thank you so much.

The heartfelt quality of your comments, JESSICA, exceeds even your usual standard. Which is saying a lot.

Note the part I just added in purple to the start of this post. Whew!

David B says:

Beautiful, Rose. I can certainly vouch for the therapeutic value of past life recollection, though it didn’t arise through therapy here.

Our unresolved history can have a huge impact on our current life, like a shadow that has weight.

David B says:

Those “frozen blocks” are not like clear ice. More like hard mud.

It can also be rather sobering. But it certainly makes sense of so much of the oddness in life.

David B says:

Your post may have been a little early, but if they’re talking “last days” and she’s had a fall that needs medical care, she’ll likely be much more constrained and may never get out of care now.

Falls are not so easy to recover from in the elderly. Routine as children, the system is not so resilient by then.

Kira says:

Always interesting to read about inspiring people, especially if they personally inspired the one writing. 🙂

Irene says:

It’s a beautiful thing to recognize the contribution someone makes to life before or after they pass. It seems like Dr. Long made a particularly significant contribution!!

I’m not personally familiar with past-life regression yet, though I’m very much looking forward to the sessions I have scheduled this summer. I am very grateful in advance to Dr Long for her part in making SEAH possible. And thrilled to hear that a final tribute is not yet necessary 🙂

Lilian says:

I’ve certainly benefited from using past life regression and this life regression therapy to remove frozen blocks.

Past life regression seems to be borderline mainstream, but then a reading is not healing..

Doing it specifically to remove frozen blocks seems to be the best use of time and energy…

Lilian says:

My hope is that the more mainstream it gets, the more it can be more fully integrated with other means of therapy and support. If you make big changes at the astral level, the human level emotions, thoughts and belief systems have to catch up in their own lumbering way… Fully processing the really big blocks took me six months..

But thank-you Rose for being inspired by Coletta to learn about this and develop it further.

Lilian says:

It’s really interesting to see the seeds of things to come.

LILIAN, your thoughts about past-life regression are especially helpful at this blog because you have experienced Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis®.

Thank you.

I wish all you Blog-Buddies could experience the benefit of this at least once.

Do know, everyone, that three apprentices I’m training also have this set of skills.

Also, later this year I do plan to offer the distinctive training in NGH-style hypnotism and then the follow-up, how to do Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis. (Dates to be announced.)

LILIAN, your beautiful Comment #11 has reminded me to make a technical point. It’s important.

If I might make a distinction for all you enthusiasts about past-life regression and hypnotism…

Unless the practitioner has training as a psychotherapist, or other therapy professional, correct terminology is required that does not represent a hypnotist as being any kind of therapist.

Here I’m sharing what I’ve learned from the National Guild of Hypnotists (NGH), a professional organization with more than 12,000 members. Yes, that many professional hypnotists! NGH is the organization that has credentialled me to train hypnotists to a professional standard.

Those of us with this training are called “Certified Instructors.”

Not all professionals in this field are aware of it yet, but today’s standard in the profession is that those of us who facilitate hypnotism have an ethical and legal obligation not to misrepresent our services.

Sweet, old-fashioned terms like “Hypnotherapist” and “Hypnotherapy” and “Past-Life Regression Therapist” are becoming obsolete.

Today we’re hypnotists. Some of us hypnotism professionals are also practitioners of past-life regression. We take care not to represent ourselves as therapists. Or veterinarians. Or college professors. Or other lovely credentials. (Unless we have earned those legal credentials, that is.)

Lilian says:

Yes, my comment was a little vague. I meant it in the context of Rose’s “I have a dream” post:

where she envisions RES and SEAH becoming more mainstream.

In the meantime, common sense applies. 🙂 Hypnotists are not therapists, and clients need to figure out how best to integrate the help that’s available to them.

LILIAN, your wonderful comments here are so deeply appreciated.

Yesterday the news came that Coletta Long completed her transition out of this lifetime. A relief in a way, yet a loss.

Quietly I added a second “Note” to the main post, reporting on her death.

You Blog-Buddies know how it is, if anybody you have cared about dies. It’s as though a hole is made in the world.

There’s a feeling of strangeness, until you get used to the loss of that earth personality.

Today I facilitated my first session of Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis® with that hole in my world.

My client, GLADYS, had one of the first-SEAH session extravaganzas — three hours, instead of the usual two.

It felt a bit different to me. It felt a bit like when my father died, and even more so when my mother died. I became not an orphan but an adult unparented any longer.

As with Coletta Long’s death, I had a sense of “Step up. Be the grownup now.”

Yes! More than ever, I will be that grownup in the field of past-life regression. When I teach the skills of hypnotism and SEAH later this year, and when helping clients one at a time.

I recommit to doing honor to my teacher Coletta, and also to Divine help for co-creating that is there every single time.

In every way, I recommit to being an adult, doing my reasonable best to be of service, in integrity. These few blog comments are the physical sign of that commitment, that honoring.

David B says:

Thanks for the update, Rose.
    Yes, I recall that when my mom died, one of my friends mentioned I was now no longer someones child so was finally a full adult.

It was curious to realize some of the things she influenced.

Julie says:

So sorry for your loss, Rose. I’m sure Dr. Long would be proud of how you have carried forward the body of work that she taught you.

And of your commitment, past and present, to standards, honor, integrity.

Julie says:

The lineage of teachers and of teaching. Could there be any more sacred thing?

JULIE and DAVID B, how sweet of you. And especially that Comment #24.

So true.

Sarah says:

I’m so sorry for your loss, Rose. This must have been a bit of an emotional roller coaster since you first heard the news which prompted the original post.

I’m familiar with that feeling of “Step up. Be the grown up now.” Reassuring, in a way, to realize that this feeling is likely to recur for many more decades. What a relief that we always have more room to “grow up”.

Your commitment really inspires me, to make the same commitment: “In every way, I recommit to being an adult, doing my reasonable best to be of service, in integrity.”

Love

Irene says:

My condolences, Rose.

This post, your work in SEAH and all the teaching you do with such integrity and commitment is a beautiful tribute to the lineage of teachers, like Dr Long, behind you.

An Avid Reader says:

Dear Rose,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is so clear that she meant so much to you.

Sending my deepest sympathy~

Kira says:

I’m sorry, Rose. Inspiring teachers are tremendous blessings.

I trained with Coletta Long in Austin Texas in 1993 and became certified in 1994. She was an inspiration to me.

DIANA, it’s good to hear from you.

Dr. Long’s legacy will be, well, long!

And having just clicked onto the link by YOUR name, I see impressive leadership among those of us who facilitate past-life regression.

This list of practitioners of past-life regression and also this set of articles on past-life regression you’ve written are impressive. Thanks so much for getting in touch here.

Lucille Mills says:

I studied with Coletta for years in the early 90s. She was and remains one of the most significant people in my life. I resolved many issues with her help and have continued her work here in California.

I am so happy to have news of her and know that her incredible spirit will continue to inspire and teach from the other side

LUCILLE MILLS, thank you for sharing here. Feel free to add information about your website for folks who live in your part of California.

Just today I was doing a session of Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis® (my adaptation of what I learned initially from DR. LONG) and I shared something I just love that she often said: “There are no innocent victims.”

Again, thanks for making a contribution here. And sharing my love for COLETTA and her magnificent pioneering work in past-life regression.