Frustrations of an RES Apprentice. A Guest Post by LEO

Wishing on dandelions? Good for the placebo effect. Is RES any different?

Wishing on dandelions? Good for the placebo effect. Is RES any different?

Quite a topic area has been opened up with yesterday’s article! Part 1 of a short series began to examine The Ugly Side of Seeking Enlightenment. And How Aura Reading Can Help You on Your Spiritual Path.

Usually this blog is reader-friendly. I’ll share my perspective to the extent that I think it can help you Blog-Buddies. Comments and blog posts are only personal to the extent I deem helpful or historically interesting.

But sometimes we experts at Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES) have additional frustrations related to what is mainstream in New Age spirituality and mainstream ideas about energy, healing, and so forth.

Today RES Apprentice Leo Watts gives you a peek behind the usual curtain of discretion. Feeling brave? Or just curious?

Sharing the Counter-Culture Perspective of RES

As I’ve gained skills at Aura Reading and Aura Healing and Transformation, and grown in my confidence in being able to facilitate sessions of RES for others, I’ve sought to “spread the word” of what I do.

I’m still quite shy, as many people find it a bit odd when I tell them I can read auras and facilitate emotional and spiritual healing. They may think of it as “strange,” as otherwise I’m seemingly a well-adjusted adult.

But, since I believe RES or Real Effective Skills is so vital to our world now, I trudge on, increasingly immune to others’ judgment. These skills are just too useful and important, I believe. But I’m finding an interesting phenomenon.

Uh-Oh

Those who are most receptive to the idea of me being able to read auras and facilitate RES, are also those who love love love their New Age ideas.

They’ll quickly respond with “Oh ya, I love just opening myself up to energies.” Or “I’m intuitive, so I shut down my sense of self. I just want to be a vessel.”

I’m afraid to be rude and say that these ideas seem like fast tracks to Spiritual Addiction or Extreme Spiritual Addiction. Because I can tell how strongly they’re invested in “What’s meant to be” and “Working on manifesting on a specific vibrational frequency all throughout the day.”

So, what do I find with those who are “spiritual”?

At least they are open to the idea that RES isn’t a placebo affect (I know this sounds harsh, but I’ve had family and friends intimate this idea multiple times — it’s not an uncommon belief in our society in regards to non-psychologically based approaches).

The New Agers are also those who are, in my experience, extremely likely to subscribe to misguided techniques and methods for seeking real spiritual progress, sometimes in systems taught by teachers who are, themselves, in extreme spiritual addictions. ?

On The Other Hand

What about other people who might be helped by RES? Many who are more balanced, and function well, often have little interest in “opening themselves up to the universe” nor indulging in any type of seemingly “out there” practices like reading auras.

Yet they are the clients I’d most like to work with. Their insistence on focusing on objective reality is actually what protects them.

I may just be venting, but it’s a strange catch 22 I’ve found myself in lately.

I suspect I need to home my “elevator pitch” and gain more confidence owning my work as an RES practicioner. These skills are so useful to humanity right now.

Tangentially, it’s horrifying to see certain “leaders” in an entrepreneurial community I’m involved with.

These leaders are popular and thought of highly, but are living in extreme spiritual addiction.

“Oh, yeah, I’m consulting with Mr. X on this project. Isn’t he great??”

What don’t I say? “Yeah, he’d be great if his whole aura and integrity weren’t corrupted!”

Isabella C. says:

“Real Effective Skills”!! I love that! That is not going to go away… ‘Cause I am going to use it. 🙂 I’ll give you credit, Leo. 😉

LEO and ISABELLA C., I get it now.

RES or Real Effective Skills. Woweeeeeeeeeee.

Well done, LEO. I’m staring at my computer screen openmouthed.

Thank you.

Kira says:

Great post, Leo!

I was thinking about something similar to this last night after reading Rose’s previous post. Not from the perspective of someone who can use the skills of RES to help others (yet), but as someone who really wants to see Stage 3 energetic literacy become mainstream.

What I was thinking is that people are often so invested in their beliefs that objective reality doesn’t matter or that *only* objective reality matters that they reject any hint that things might be otherwise.

Kira says:

I was planning to post this last night, but I just couldn’t come up with the words until reading this post today. So thanks!

Isabella C. says:

I can relate, Leo.

The nice thing is that if you actually get some of those people in session, you can teach them and make a difference. That’s the nice thing.

Isabella C. says:

Here’s something I noticed yesterday, and then thought of again today and still found true, that might help any RES practitioner or apprentice or student or client or other well-balanced spiritual person reading now.

I think that if you picked up someone, anyone, from 2010 and dropped them off in 2016, they would think they were on a different planet.

Isabella C. says:

Things have changed *rapidly* and it is not trivial. The veil is gone and that is no joke.

People’s BRAINS – physical brains – are only just beginning to have the capacity to process all this new information, constantly available.

Isabella C. says:

It’s not a perfect comparison, but think of a teenager’s brain bathed in hormones.

Over time, things adjust and start to make more sense. Decision making gets better.

Isabella C. says:

Right now, to most people, none of this makes any sense.

Energies are raging. And there are no synapses for what any of it means.

It’s overwhelming, having all these new feelings!!

?

Isabella C. says:

Great time to teach, in a way, since pretty much everyone is a student.

If you can catch their attention for a minute or two.

Isabella C. says:

And, perhaps obviously, I am no neuroscientist, but perhaps Apprentice Joe could speak up here. ?

Wonderful insights here, ISABELLA C. Loving every golden word.

You’ve given me something new to think about, and for years I’ve been intently exploring how we humans can evolve rapidly in this newish Age of Awakening.

You can see why I’m publishing a whole new piece of my work about this, the upcoming how-to “The New Strong.”

Today I didn’t do nearly as much as I wished toward publication, but at least it IS getting closer to publication nearly every day.

Also, today and yesterday I’ve been teaching the material for “The New Strong Workshop” for the first time.

Been helping ANONYMOUS to learn the material through personal mentoring. So fascinating!

This, incidentally, is the consoling aspect for you, LEO, and all you other brave RES apprentices and Professionals.

You know, the ones with Really Effective Skills. 😉

When a client finds you, or you reach a new client, it is such a thrill. A privilege to help. You know? Like ISABELLA C’s wonderful Comment #6 here.

Sarah says:

Oh my gosh, Leo. YES! Just… yes. Everything you said.

Hah!

Thank you for this.

Sarah says:

Most specifically: As a fellow RES apprentice, the “catch-22” you describe is exactly what I’ve been struggling with for the last couple of months.

In particular, I had also begun to go the route of trying to appeal to the folks who are already open to this sort of thing… but the truth is that this population might actually be -less- open to what RES *really* is (Real Effective Skills! lol, love it) than the population at large.

Sarah says:

And likewise, the group of people I am most interested in working with also happen to be the kind of people who might respond with a raised eyebrow and “polite” subject-change.

I’m also playing with crafting the “elevator pitch” to focus more on what I can help people with, rather than how I may or may not go about it.

Glad I’m not alone with this challenge. ?

Sarah says:

Also, LOL Isabella on #11. I was like whaaa we have an apprentice named Joe?

(oops, dork) ? Funny how we also have one named Gladys! (laughing)

Let me translate Comment #18, at the end of SARAH’s fabulous series of comments here, because I try to avoid in-jokes here.

What SARAH meant, I think, is that ISABELLA was referring to a certain apprentice, “JOE,” who is NOT publicly on my list of experts due to having a different sort of day job that demands discretion.

Same kind of thing can happen to an apprentice or RES professional named “GLADYS.” Not too shocking, really!

Sarah says:

Oh, thank you Rose for clarifying that! Yes, I wasn’t intending to allude to some kind of in-joke. 🙂 I just had to laugh at myself when I realized that Isabella was using a standard “anonymized” name and not a real apprentice’s name.

Almost as if I had read your comment #13 and thought “Wow! ‘ANONYMOUS’ is such a unique name for a person. I wonder if it’s Greek?”

Leo says:

What an excellent analogy Isabella! I think you’re right. That’s a great perspective to have in these interesting times. We are adjusting. I forget that sometimes.

I’m glad you enjoyed the post Sarah. Let me know if you make progress on your “pitch”! We can swap ideas.

David B says:

Thanks, Leo. And well put.

And if they are receptive, they often carry errant concepts that may have to be straightened out first.

David B says:

It’s one of the challenges of any new market. People don’t know the value so you have to explain before they know if they want it.

So a lot of is about gathering testimonials, having educational events, etc.

Grace W says:

I realize in reflecting on this post and the comments that, while I’ve definitely felt frustrated at times from the lack of any interest in learning about the helpfulness of RES, I seem to be over feeling really frustrated.

My experience over time has been that as I’ve gotten clearer and more present, I’ve gone through phases of feeling shocked by the things people do.

Grace W says:

Like take bunches of new medications rather than even trying a session of RES.

Grace W says:

Just all kinds of wacky experiences, both with energy-related topics and some of the students I work with.

Like spending thousands on tuition for a course and failing to do even the basics to pass it. Not how I ever was as a student!

Grace W says:

But somehow I’ve gotten to the point of accepting that a lot of people really are pretty confused, overwhelmed, delusional, you name it, these days.

I decided to approach it all more as an anthropologist learning about a foreign culture. That has helped!

Grace W says:

I’m quicker at figuring out who’s really present and open to discussing RES and just moving away from those who are wrapped up in concepts.

It’s unfortunate that people get wrapped up in spiritual addiction. But I think, too, that it’s some kind of evolutionary phase for parts of our culture to go through.

I find this same dilemma, when it comes to other issues, like finding friends.

I avoid people with spiritual interests here (even though they are the people I am naturally most attuned with) because chances are high they are involved in lots of dangerous practices (like opening themselves up to energies.) I give a wide berth to anything spiritual these days.

Lilian says:

Yeah, this is a fun topic.

Really, consciously allowing yourself to notice all the new energies adds a lot of extra work and questions to answer. I guess people will acknowledge it when they’re good and ready.

Lilian says:

I decided to completely ignore anything energetic for many years. Just blanked it out, and it wasn’t a bad thing. I think it’s quite human to only want knowledge when you have a practical use for it.

Amanda says:

What a great perceptive post, Leo. I come across the same issues re meditation and qigong.

The woo-woo spiritual ones are all ‘yeah, great, I’d love to try it’ but drop out quickly.

Other people who would genuinely benefit go off into ‘placebo effect’ talk.

Amanda says:

I now counter the placebo effect brushoff by saying that a headache pill is not a placebo effect, and in the same way nor are these techniques.

I share your frustration in that respect.

Amanda says:

Similarly, David B’s comment in the last post that the teachers in enlightenment attracted fewer students than those in extreme spiritual addiction, was a very frustrating fact.

These two posts seem to have hit a nerve!

🙂

Amanda

Emily says:

I can really relate Leo.

Although I’m not an apprentice (though I do think it is something I would love to do at some point), I do find a similar divide in my life.

People who would really benefit (and be able to self-actualise so much more or just make so much more progress far quicker than they expect) don’t really want to hear about RES.

Emily says:

Others far more into New Age stuff almost get offended about the focus on human life, human achievement, objective reality, the need to make a living etc.

The woo woo seems more attractive to these sorts in a “how to make me feel good right now” sort of way.

Emily says:

I also have the same issue with friendships (and I have had with all my love relationships to date too) where RES is just too out there.

I find I only share selective parts about my beliefs and personal practices with friends.

Emily says:

But then sometimes I forget what I’ve told to whom and why! Then there’s the “look” and the pull back onto a different conversation topic.

It’s a bit disheartening but then I think these people must assume that I was able to get a degree, while working full time, volunteering part time, learning saxophone, French, sign language, counselling skills and also having a social life and a love relationship for the last 6 years without having had any help! That’s a powerful placebo effect 😉

Emily says:

In fact, I can clearly see my life in pre-finding Rose Rosetree’s work and post-finding Rose Rosetree’s work LOL. I’d love for more people to see the benefits I’ve gotten.

I try to share where I see someone might be open to it. I also feel like the more I lead a good life the more I can then advocate for it!

Emily says:

(Not that I’m fluent in French or British sign language yet 🙂 just taking classes )

Sarah says:

Oh, Emily, your comment #35: “Others far more into New Age stuff almost get offended about the focus on human life, human achievement”

I’ve seen this, as well, even in some of my circles that don’t have a New Age/spiritual bent to them at all, but are nonetheless focused on the “World Server” side of life. Like you said, some folks almost get offended by the emphasis on human life and achievement.

There is a strange tension in these groups between emphasizing the importance of taking good care of oneself… and a subtle and unspoken sort of “allergic reaction” to becoming “too successful” in human terms.

Sarah says:

While not (necessarily) thinking in these spiritual terms, it’s as if some of the folks drawn to a life of service believe that they must also live a life in the “simplicity model”, as Rose is calling it, in order to be pure in their service.

What I’m coming to see is exactly the opposite, to a degree anyway. Up to a point, greater human-level success (financial success, public recognition, etc.) can translate directly into -greater- potential for self-care and service, not less. Provided that the individual does not become distracted and begin seeking wealth/fame for the sake of wealth/fame itself.

Sarah says:

Basically: Seems to me, living now at least, positioning oneself as a householder (and a -successful- householder, to boot) puts one in a position to be of much greater service to the world than living in a deliberately restricted, “simplistic” lifestyle.

Sarah says:

And RES (to my mind) strikes the PERFECT balance of emphasizing householder-style improvement, while being co-created with the Divine and therefore squeaky clean!

–A far cry from the ickiness which has, in the past, given personal success and achievement a bad rap (mindless greed, manipulative tactics, etc.).

Isabelle says:

This is very interesting and I have thought about this for quite some time too.

There are two main ‘groups’ of people who react to – for example – the words ‘aura’, ‘energies’, ‘healing’ (etc.) – in a certain way – those who don’t think that energies etc. exist and then there’s those people who don’t get the real ‘meaning’ of these words on the other side of the extreme scale – spiritual addicts.

Isabelle says:

It makes me feel frustrated that people who are ‘normal’ often don’t want to talk about auras etc. because … maybe, because they (the words) have been misused for such a long time and become mainstream in the wrong way…

Isabelle says:

So I wish there were ‘new’ words for aura etc. that don’t make people suspicious…but words that still are easy to understand (but then again, it’s not easy and quite complex(?) for most people …the existence of these things).

An older friend of mine always cautioned me to be careful with the words I use. And how often I use them.

Isabelle says:

In esoterism, new age, so much has been used without really having a deeper understanding of things. Really frustrating.

Oh, Blog-Buddies, how I am relishing your wise words here!

ISABELLE, hmmm. Do you think you have figured out why I use the term “Energetic Literacy”? 😉

Julie says:

With friendship, it is hard to find those who are solidly in the human right now. And who enjoy talking about that.

I meet some who are very into the Romance of the Astral, and the subjects they want to talk about are too different from what I want to talk about.

There is not enough common ground.

Julie says:

And with those I know who are in spiritual shutdown, it can be similar! They want to talk about what is real to them – in many cases physical reality, objects, geography, the construction work on the street.

Or in the case of one work associate…chairs. For whatever reason, she can talk (and will) at length about chairs.

But the lack of openness to something more makes it not so interesting to me.

Julie says:

It is, I will say, a real delight to meet someone in the middle ground.

Able to talk about human things, day-to-day joys and happenings. Occasionally problems.

But with that spritz of the divine, that means they are open to something more – mystery, magic, fun, imagination, sillyness…to name a few.

Childlike humor.

The divine, in any way that it wants to peek through.

JULIE, I’m lovin’ these comments. Laughed out loud at #51.

Maybe it’s time to bring back Monty Python, if only to have a good-enough skit about conversation concerning chairs, chairs, chairs.

Julie says:

That would be funny, Rose.

Our conversations are rather one-sided, as my interest in chairs is, um, limited.

Leo says:

My goodness. All of these comments are just fantastic.

Irene says:

Wow, step away from my computer for 24 hrs and look what happens! 🙂

“Real Effective Skills” is awesome!!

I’m not an apprentice (yet) but I share this frustration!

Irene says:

Kylie, #29 “I find this same dilemma, when it comes to other issues, like finding friends.” Ditto!

Irene says:

And Julie, yes re #50-51.

I have spiritually shutdown friends who are continually baffled about how hard their life is without any interest in finding ways that might improve it.

And I have spiritually addicted friends who are convinced that this latest paying-attention-to-their-issues/energies will solve everything as they spiral deeper into debt and out of human reality.

Irene says:

It is a treat to meet someone on the middle path. So far that’s only been electronically for me – this community is so encouraging! 🙂

Irene says:

The thing is, when I start talking about RES, I’m pretty sure I sound just as weird and potentially spiritually addicted.

I know that when I found Rose’s blog initially I was really confused. She talked so much here about not paying too much attention to energies, but the whole blog was about deeper perception which sure sounded like energies to me!

And how was I supposed to accept the RES perspective, when it was based on energetic literacy which I couldn’t seem to get without learning RES. Sounded like suspiciously circular logic to me.

Irene says:

I still don’t know how to explain it, even though I do accept it based on the positive impact it’s had on my life. If I try to explain that though, it sounds just like explaining how “this great cult I just joined has changed everything for the better”, lol

It’s just a bit challenging!

Irene says:

I just spoke with someone today, got to the part of the conversation where he agreed that yes he does consider himself to be very sensitive. (I suspect he may be an empath.)

Then I clutched. I couldn’t find the words to point him to Rose’s books without freaking him out with the potential woo-woo associations so I pointed him to Dr Aron’s HSP book as a first step.

It’s particularly hard with people I really care about 🙂

Kira says:

“Hm! She is made of harder stuff! Cardinal Fang! Fetch…THE COMFY CHAIR!”

Kira says:

Although that wasn’t the first chair reference that popped into my head, even with the Monty Python comment. The first one was the line from a Neil Diamond song:

“‘I am,’ I said
    To no one there;
    And no one heard at all,
    Not even the chair.”

David B says:

re: Chairs & Monty Python…. the Comfy Chair

Rachel says:

God, yes! I have a friend who talks endlessly about parking spaces!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……….

Lilian says:

Emily: I love how busy you are. 🙂 Does RES make us nerds? I hope so.

I love all these comments.

Emily, your life sounds like mine. I too share when people seem open to it, which is almost never.

Julie, your comments about conversation with people–so true. For me, encountering that spritz of the divine (what a great phrase!) is very rare. Mostly with kids/teens, which is why I love being a young adult librarian.

David–thanks for the clip. Hilarious!

And Irene, what a great description of both spiritual shutdown and addiction.

A blog post is a-coming, helping to answer some of these concerns.

First though, gotta finish up the Part Two of the very pressing concern, common to so many who seek Enlightenment, about “Why bother to develop energetic literacy?”

Golly, when comments surprise me and shake me up, I’m reminded to COMMUNICATE better. It’s thrilling to me, writing blog posts like these. I hope they will be helpful to you, too.

Rachel says:

I don’t know anybody who talks about energy… I guess it is not very British 😉

RACHEL, help me translate this concept for those who “Dwell in the Lande of the Queen.”

Because you’ all are sure talking about energy even if you don’t use that word.

People you know, do they use language like this? Or what?

“What he really meant”
    “What was going on beneath the surface”
    “On analysis, what was happening”
    “The overall feeling”
    “My sense of it was…”

There is SOME way of putting it that is Britishly done. What??????

Emily T says:

Haha. Yes Rose the British have their own ways of putting it. I’ve heard the following:

I got the feeling…
    Deep down…
    You know the feeling you get when […]
    They were mad but it wasn’t the whole story if you know what I mean..

Emily T says:

Lol Lillian! Yep nerd, RES nerd especially!

Julie says:

Irene,

Great comment #58.

I see that too, with a friend in spiritual shutdown. The lack of curiosity or initiative to make things better. A resignation, being resigned to “how things are.”

Julie says:

Kira and David,

I laughed at the comfy chair. And the obvious (and perky) enjoyment with which the lady settled into it:)

Julie says:

Parking spaces. Oh, Rachel!!!

David B says:

If you think talking about RES is challenging, what about oneness or the divine?

People either have a LOT of baggage or no reference points for the subtle. Even people who consider themselves spiritual are usually looking for physical explanations.

David B says:

It’s taken some time but happily I now have both on-line and in person connections that I can chat with. It varies who I can talk to what about, but the range is there.

David B says:

(laughs) You got the reference too, Kira.

David B says:

(laughs)
    Emily – I hear those phrases in Canada too.
    But we do have those Brit influences. Still part of the Commonwealth. 🙂

Lilian says:

I’m glad that being reminded of Monty Python has brought much joy.

Comment 71 and 72: absolutely true. Even “What I reckon..” or “It seems to me…” We Britishers are good at pretending we’re being logical or reasonable when we’re just pulling stuff out of the air. Thanks for the perspective.

Sandra says:

Thank you, Leo for this great post. I love “Real Effective Skills!”

I prefer skeptics to over-eager flash and dazzle seekers. I should qualify: open-minded skeptics.

Sandra says:

I don’t feel I have to prove RES to anyone, and I don’t take it personally if they say they don’t believe it could possibly be real.

I also am not totally comfortable with reading auras as a “parlor trick.”

Sandra says:

However, I have recently had the opportunity to show how 3rd stage energetic literacy works, and is real.

Two different opportunities, in fact. In both cases, I was dealing with a skeptic.

In the first case I read a gift of the soul of the skeptic, himself. In the second case I read a gift of the soul from a picture of someone I didn’t know, but who my skeptic knew.

Sandra says:

In both cases, they became less skeptical. In one case, the former skeptic wanted to learn Rose’s system for aura reading.

In the second case, the former skeptic requested a session!

Leo says:

Awesome comments Sandra! Thanks.