Selecting a Goal that Is More than a Dream. A Guest Post by IRENE

IRENE, a big goal-getter, this time pictured in a rather big place

IRENE, a big goal-getter, this time pictured in a rather big place

GRACE W.’s recent guest post about success got a lot of us thinking. For instance, what is the difference between having a dream versus setting goals effectively?

Blog-Buddy IRENE has offered to share her latest insights, and I think they are human-sized, Earth-School-sized, GREAT.

Look for the part about the hours I spent, in IRENE’s first personal mentoring with me, educating her in a way that was NOT like the perfectly fine skill from improv, “Yes, AND.”

IRENE got “No, no, no, no, no, yes, and no.” Yet she survived!

What Works for Success?

I’m not an apprentice yet in Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES). But I have been doing some mentoring with Rose over Skype to learn some RES skill sets that interest me.

They also happen to be required workshops for Rose’s Mentoring Program; I’m doing this through personal mentoring, with the idea that I’ll probably end up as an RES practitioner.

I have that as a possible goal in the back of my head, but it’s not what I would describe as a “DREAM.”

Why Don’t I Believe in Pursuing DREAMS?

I spent some time in the “go-after-your-dreams” crowd.

It was a more millenial-style approach than what is typically described here at this blog, but the same basics really. I found it less than helpful.

The instructions were:

• To think about my dream
  • To feel what my dream needed
  • To write and think (endlessly) about what stood between me and my dream.

And that was with a program focused on actually taking action!

Thankfully I found RES before I’d spiraled too far into spiritual addiction 🙂

Right now, I’m doing the mentoring one topic at a time. And that’s plenty!

I don’t need to dream about becoming an RES practitioner. I have lots to do with learning the skills in front of me right now.

Maybe I’ll end up deciding that all I want is to be energetically literate. That’s a fine goal too.

Who Needs to Pursue a Shining Star When We Live on Earth?

I would describe a dream as something far off that I’m wishing for, like wishing for a holiday or wishing on a star.

A goal, to me now, is something I am working towards in a practical way.

I think this is a really important distinction to make.

When I was dreaming my way into my future, my focus was on trying to find something to do for work and play that would make me happy, or at least less miserable.

I hated using the word “goal” because that implied something I “should” be doing and wasn’t; I felt guilty and like a failure for not already having my goal accomplished and for seemingly never getting it together to force that goal to happen.

With my knowledge now, I think dreaming is a really ineffective way to deal with all that.

What Was More Effective for Me?

For me, this has been far more effective than dreaming:

There may be other skill sets out there that work. What I’d found before was not among them.

And now that I’ve found something that does work (RES), I don’t particularly feel like I need to keep looking.

A Possible Goal, Definitely Not a Dream

Okay, I’ll admit that I might have a goal to become an RES practitioner. Maybe.

That goal is so distant at this point that I may very well change my mind and go in a different direction before I get there. The more immediate goal is to learn/improve my RES skills for my own use. I want to become energetically literate, at least to Stage 3.

Because I see the positive impact on my own life, I expect I’ll want to pursue this further; I also have interest in helping others — which could likely be a good fit with becoming an RES practitioner.

Indeed, I know lots of people who could benefit, though fewer who I think would be open to it 🙂

I expect I’d like to do RES sessions professionally whether or not it ever replaced my day job. Something can be a serious pursuit even if it isn’t how I make a living!

When I began my first personal mentoring, I spent the first couple hours with Rose amazingly patient and kind as she went through my list of what I wanted to get from learning that particular skill set.

She explained how all but one of those intentions were… either unrealistic and/or unhelpful.

That was probably the most helpful part of the mentoring, even if also the hardest on my ego 🙂

It takes time and effort to achieve results in human objective reality. For me, dreaming was a very ineffective way to try to get what I want.

It does help if STUFF is cleared out of the way. With less STUFF, I’m more me, and it’s easier to know what I want and take the actions to go for it.

But none of that changes this fact: If I want something, I still have to do the work.

Irene says:

What great timing on this post going live – I’m studying aura reading in my mentoring sessions with Rose and just today began to do Stage Three Energetic Literacy.

Oh boy, is it ever fun!! 😀

David B says:

Thanks for sharing. This reminds me of a section from the Yog Vasishtha. It’s a many thousands of years old text where a great sage is instructing a divine prince.

In one section, he says that all arises from self effort. This is based on 3 things:
    – knowledge of the scriptures (right instruction)
    – guidance of the wise
    – ones own effort

Sound familiar?

David B says:

The key there is correct effort. Doing the hours, but doing so informed.

Kira says:

Very cool, Irene! Kinda wish I could write more, but I’m just not getting enough downtime right now to be fully coherent.

At least I’ve figured out that the reason having to go somewhere every day is stressful is due to needing to be somewhere at a specific time and not to leaving the house.

Cynthia says:

Thank you for taking the time to write this Irene. Really enjoyed it.

Taking small steps in objective reality towards your goal, can’t beat that approach.

Appreciate how you have a possible long term goal in your mind of becoming an RES practitioner in the future, however at this stage you are just focusing on what you can do now (i.e. learning skills).

Whether or not you become an RES professional, no doubt those skills help you in other areas of life.

This initial learning phase will give you a better understanding of whether or not this is something you want to commit to on a professional level.

DAVID B, I am thrilled to read this quote from the great master Vashista.

Thank you so much for sharing it.

KIRA, I suspect that everyone who knows you and knows about the radiation phase of your treatment is so rooting for you. I sure am.

If you would like to post a link to the Caring Bridge website, please feel free.

IRENE, of course I knew about that Comment #1. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Quite the sublime touch! When RES techniques are fun, that’s one of the main indications that you’re doing that particular skill set correctly.

The personal process wakes up Divine-type joy. And then you can look for human-type results — for whatever the purpose was, using that particular skill set.

Thanks, Rose!

I did recently add an update to the CaringBridge site. It’s here:

Or you can just search for “Kira Heston”. The site requires a login; I understand if there are people who won’t visit because of that.

Just 4 radiation treatments left (including today’s)!

Irene says:

David B, that (#2-3) sounds very familiar!

One thing (of many!) that I appreciate about RES is how it helps makes my choices more informed.

I’m still the one choosing and doing the work, but it is so nice to see more clearly what that “correct effort” is.

Irene says:

Kira, it’s nice to get even a short comment from you 🙂

I’ll be thinking of you as you keep going through the treatment. Take care.

Irene says:

Cynthia, thanks for your comment #5.

My tendency is to be too hard on myself, so I’m making sure to remind myself I have options and can change my mind.

So far though every time I learn something new from Rose, I become more motivated to keep going 🙂

Dana K says:

My view on the whole dream board concept is that people lost touch with even considering what they wanted and began to do what their parents wanted or what they are “supposed to do” to where it was actually a novel idea to consider or even ask “what do I really want?”

But it went so far to where people began getting the message that’s all they needed.

Dana K says:

I remember one lady in one of my “old” energy healing groups that was having financial issues and needed to sell a property out of state.

She wasn’t familiar with the area so she had asked spirit what the selling price should be.

Dana K says:

And one of the other people in the group had asked if she had any ancestors that knew real estate!!! Lol.

Never-mind hiring a realtor….so yes for some taken way too far.

Dana K says:

What I want is still great to ask and still novel for some.

Within the awareness that it’s technique time of course ;).

Dana K says:

Also wanted to mention this concept of “earning” is taught in the Kabbalah books I used to read.

They call getting something for free “bread of shame” and they teach that on the soul level all of us want to earn our keep.

They even go so far to say as removing bread of shame is one main reason for incarnation.

Dana K says:

So, any upgrade involve challenges, you have to earn any expansion.

Whether you are earning or being deterred is of course where discernment comes in and I guess as Rose says “part of the curriculum at earth school”.

Dana K says:

Also Irene I’m in the same boat as you! My first mentoring day is next werk and I’m looking to at least be energetically literate and possibly to join the practitioner program. ?

DANA K, thanks for sharing your insights. I laughed loudly in my head at your Comments #14 and 15.

I’m sure looking forward to our first Day of Mentoring.

You’ll notice, before applying for the Mentoring Program in Rosetree Energy Spirituality you take six prerequisites. By then you would know pretty well if you were interested in applying. I’m glad this program can be run that way.

Irene says:

Dana K, I hope you enjoy your first mentoring. Lots and lots to learn, but Rose makes it fun 🙂

Irene says:

I think of it like this (hopefully more or less accurately!)

Getting stuck at the dreaming stage is a bit like getting stalled in the middle of a transition.

Irene says:

The Age of Faith required you to rely on the authority figure (like your spiritual teacher or parents or community expectations) to tell you what you needed to do and how you were supposed to live. Most spiritual traditions and religions still have this mindset.

Transitioning is when people really started developing individual self-authority. “I can do what I want to do, not just what I’m told.” This would be the New Age years and all the associated teachings.

Irene says:

Now in the Age of Awakening, it is increasingly obvious that self-authority is not enough by itself. Human-level learning of skills and actual action is required to make things happen.

Plus with no “veil” anymore, there are real differences in how things work, like old spiritual practice time recommendations being way too long and leading to spiritual addiction. Human skills and action become even more important.

Irene says:

I can see that process happening in miniature in my past. Doing what was expected until my late twenties, then transitioning into I can do what I want, without getting the results I wanted (and not knowing why).

Then finding out oh, hey, skill needed plus stuff-removal and new put-in and all the great things here.

IRENE is giving a wonderful introduction to you Blog-Buddies to my upcoming book:

The New Strong:
    Stop Fixing Yourself and Actually Accelerate Your Personal Growth!
    (Rules & Tools for Thriving in the Age of Awakening)

If these concepts are still new to you, soon they won’t be. If you’re like the author, the full set of the contents will rock your world.

Irene says:

Really? Cool! I’m so looking forward to reading this and being at the workshop in July 🙂

Kira says:

Thanks for comment 11, Irene!

Kira says:

Actually, your comments 22-23 and Dana’s comment 13 remind me of a song I wrote in high school, “Dare to Dream”.

I wrote it because at the time, I saw a lot of people content to follow authority figures instead of coming up with dreams of their own. I still like the song, but it seems much less necessary now.

And it doesn’t have anything about *how* to bring them about.

Kira says:

I kind of hesitate to bring this up, but in addition, Dana’s comment 13 (on Friday the 13th—my favorite number and my favorite date/day, whenever it occurs) also reminds me of my own vision board experiences.

My meditation group made vision boards as a project during one of our meetings, and I picked out several things to put on mine.

Kira says:

I was aware from the discussion while we were making them that I shouldn’t get too attached to an exact outcome—for example, I had a picture of a blender on it because our blender had recently started leaking, and I thought I needed a new blender.

But the blender we had simply stopped leaking, so that was all I needed, a working blender.

Kira says:

I enjoyed the craft-making aspect of the project, and looking for ideas of things I wanted to manifest, but I wasn’t all that invested in having it actually work for me. I stuck it where I could see it from my desk if I turned to look at it, but since I had to turn, I rarely looked at it.

And yet, when I did look at it, I tended to notice that another item on it had manifested in some way.

Kira says:

We were taught to write notes of gratitude next to the items that actually manifested. So the upshot is that now, there is some form of “Thank you!” next to every item but one on my board. And I have a good idea of what that last one will turn out to be, too.

Kira says:

Oh, and a couple items have actually manifested twice—the aforementioned blender, which was actually replaced by my husband even though it still worked (because he wanted a better one), and the car. I had put a Tesla Roadster on the board (and photoshopped it purple) even though I considered it a pie-in-the-sky dream.

When I got my Chevy Volt, I realized that the underlying thing I really wanted to manifest was an electric car, so I considered it manifested. Then more recently, my husband decided he would look for a new car and wound up getting a Tesla Model S.

Kira says:

I would say my vision board experience is entirely atypical, and more proof that I lead a charmed life.

But then, maybe it’s at least partly because I did the opposite of obsess over it; I made it and mostly forgot about it, and paid way more attention to just living my life.

Still, even though making the board put the goals in the back of my mind, there was very little conscious work toward any particular goal on the board, so it feels very magical.

Kira says:

Ooh, one correction—there are 2 items not thanked for on the board.

One I see a very definite possibility for; the other is a set of lottery numbers. I forgot I had put the lottery numbers there.

Kira says:

Anecdote aside, I’m also really looking forward to the new book.

Unfortunately, the workshop comes right when I’m busiest putting together the program book for Confluence, the annual science fiction conference in Pittsburgh, so I won’t get there this year.

Aw, sorry I won’t get to meet you in person in July. Another time I hope 🙂

Irene says:

Kira, your anecdote here illustrates to me how important it is to have skills for deeper perception.

Based on your results, if you looked at the chakra databanks discussed in Magnetize Money, you’d be in pretty good shape. This is where deeper perception helps.

You could say “Vision boards work! And here’s proof! I put these photos on a board and they just showed up for me!”

Irene says:

But it seems like it worked for you because you took the vision board assignment and applied it to realistic goals for your life. Not as a tool to deal with emotional baggage or as a way to wish your way out of your current human experience.

Making a vision board might be very unhelpful for somebody without your stability and common sense, and they might not be able to tell why without deeper perception.

Irene says:

From the way you describe it, I think there was conscious work towards these goals.

Not in the sense that you looked at the vision board and said, “today I’m going to focus on manifesting a Tesla Roadster” or looked at it every day and wished for an electric car.

Irene says:

However, I’m assuming that at an appropriate point in your life, you decided you needed a new car. Then maybe you did some research on what you wanted. Electric cars are important to you, so your attention naturally steered in that direction.

Maybe a new electric car was expensive so you chose to drive your old car a bit longer than you otherwise would have. You probably test-drove the options you considered. Maybe you arranged for financing (and had taken care of your finances adequately so you had good enough credit).

Irene says:

Then you needed to sign papers, buy insurance and drive it home. I’d consider this all conscious work towards “manifesting” that vision board item.

It didn’t just pop up your driveway.

Irene says:

Also, seems to me what you had on the board was realistic for your finances. You didn’t put on a photo of a $10 million vacation home on a private Caribbean island, and then wonder why you don’t have it yet.

Your Tesla Roadster vision board item sounds a bit like my maybe-goal of becoming an RES apprentice. Far-off, not sure I’ll go that route or not, but realistic in terms of my life now, if I choose to commit the appropriate resources of time, attention and money to make it happen.

Irene says:

I mostly forget about that goal, but it’s sitting there in the background. Maybe in a few years, I’ll look back and think, “hey, I made that happen, seems like magic”.

But I think it’s a disservice to the work put in towards achieving a goal to dismiss it as just magically showing up.

Irene says:

I do share some of your feelings of a charmed life. There are many crossroads I can look back at and realize, “wow, how did I avoid that very long, very miserable detour!”

This sounds to me like another way to say “prices paid in previous lifetimes so this life is much easier”, to use terms from elsewhere in this discussion.

Sometimes I feel like my life is magic, but I think that’s my soul thrill peeping through 🙂

IRENE, this sequence of Comments #39-46 makes your teacher proud.

You are really understanding this beautifully, and integrating the kind of information from deeper perception during Technique Time with shallowing up during everyday life and taking appropriate action.

“The guru game” at its finest. Letting life teach you while you ace the course.

Aw, thanks, Rose! It’s because of this really great teacher I have 😀

I really appreciate the body of knowledge and skill you’ve gathered here, particularly the emphasis on how it works practically in real life.

I like understanding exactly why things work the way they do. Then I can do something different rather than repeat the same old thing again.

Kira says:

Irene, I love your comments!

What I meant about “very little conscious work” is not that I didn’t put any work into actually getting the items, but that I didn’t remember that the items were on my vision board until after I got them because I was living my life rather than staring at my board.

Kira says:

The part that feels like magic is that I chose my items, mostly forgot about them (except for the Tesla, since it was my dream car), and yet wound up working toward those items anyway.

Kira says:

Also that one item in particular (having fans of my singing) was something I had wanted for a very long time, but didn’t really get until it was on my board.

Making the board apparently set intentions for me in a way just thinking or dreaming about those things didn’t.

Kira says:

I so totally agree about the value of deeper perception. Because it’s not the case that using a vision board always works, and it’s not the case that using one never works. It depends on who uses it and how.

I think your explanation is so clear, Irene.

Kira says:

My abilities seem to lie more in painting a picture than in interpreting it intelligibly.

Irene says:

I think you share a really important experience here, Kira.

I have run into trouble in my life when I’m not clear on this, so I really appreciate your comments to get me thinking about exactly why and how it works 🙂

Irene says:

I think it is possible to determine whether a vision board will work for an individual using information and skills.

If you use the vision board technique for its intended function, it will probably work. If you use it incorrectly, it probably won’t work for you.

Irene says:

As you so clearly describe, using a vision board for solidifying exactly what your goals are – that’s a really useful tool.

Just thinking or dreaming about what you want is not nearly as effective.

I would suggest this is because it allows you to turn that vague dream into a solid goal with the potential for specific steps you can act on.

Irene says:

Even if you don’t think much about the end goal in those terms, you’ll be more inclined to remember “this was something I decided was important so I’m going to do things in my life to make it happen”.

That seems like what happened for you. And, as you eloquently put it, just by “living my life rather than staring at my board”.

Irene says:

However, I very often run into suggestions (and spent some time in a community that suggested) using vision boards and similar tools not only as a goal-setting tool but also as a framework for dealing with what lies between you and the goal.

Irene says:

These suggestions take this great goal-setting tool and make it an ineffective goal-getting technique.

After setting the goal, what’s needed next may be things more like taking action, doing research or learning skills that lead towards the goal.

Perhaps effective techniques for Stuff-removal would also really help. (This was a big part of what I needed.)

Irene says:

I know you didn’t do this, Kira, but I do want to make sure it’s clear for everyone who might read this.

Vision boards can be a useful tool if you use them for goal-setting, as you experienced, but they are not likely to be so helpful if someone relies on them for the taking action side of it. 🙂