In The Age of Awakening, Spiritual Shutdown Can't Quite Keep Energy Awareness Away. A Guest Post by IRENE

Just because you push something away doesn't mean it's gone.

Just because you push something away doesn’t mean it’s gone.

Some of you Blog-Buddies have read my estimate of consciousness lifestyle-type adjustment problems in The Age of Awakening.

In America, I’ve said, about 45% of people are in spiritual shutdown while 45% are in spiritual addiction. This applies to my own countryfolk only.

For instance, when I went to Canada to receive training as a Certified Instructor with the National Guild of Hypnotists, researching away in the streets of Toronto, it seemed to me then (years ago) that many, many people were in spiritual shutdown. While not so many were in spiritual addiction.

The sample of the population I researched was nothing like how many Japanese auras I read, during my 13 tour-style trips to Japan. (Which was the basis for my estimate that, unlike elsewhere on earth, if you’re born and raised inJapanese, your likelihood of being an empath is 1 in 5. In contrast to elsewhere on earth, with just 1 in 20 people usually born as empaths.

One  of the reasons why this guest post by IRENE fascinates me so is that she has had far more experience with reading auras of Canadians. And that’s just when the perceptiveness gets started. Thank you so much for what follows, IRENE.

Since The Age of Awakening, Lots of Spiritual Shutdown in Canada

I’m Canadian and my understanding is the ratio tips to the spiritual shutdown side here more than the equal 45% in spiritual shutdown/45% in spiritual addiction in the U.S.

At least, most people I know tend more to toward spiritual shutdown. I have not done aura reading to confirm that they are in spiritual shutdown, but what I observe is this:

• They accept only human-level answers,
  • They don’t accept anything that is unseen or “out there”
  • They don’t accept anything that doesn’t make logical sense intellectually, fitting neatly into the person’s (current conceptual) understanding of the world.
  • They seem to make decisions based on fear, trying to avoid unpleasant things by controlling their environment and allowing no change.
  • Although some will blindly accept directives based on their particular religious interpretation, but in every other area of their life, things must be seen first in order to exist.

What’s Really Fascinating about Canadian-Style Spiritual Shutdown?

Far as I can tell, the people I’ve met in spiritual shutdown consider energy awareness to be a part of their experience now.

(Disclaimer: I am reporting my observations only. I have spoken about this directly with very few of these individuals.)

So They Don’t Believe in Energy Anything. Yet…

They’ll say (and take action based on) things like these:

• “I just had a feeling that would happen (or was needed).”
  • “I get really good vibes from her; I think our relationship will really work out.”
  • “Did you notice when she walked into the room, how the energy in the air just changed?
  • “There’s an energy dynamic in this team that is bringing us down. Let’s do better.”
  • “That house was feeling sad to them (or making them feel sad). So they moved.”
  • “The energy in the house is different when you’re away.”
  • “That person is so draining to be around that I just avoid him now.”

Hey, It Gets Stranger

To me, spiritual shutdown helps to explain odd behavior from people who claim not to believe in anything energetic but then speak or act in a way that can only be explained by being energy sensitive.

Like what?

Some will justify manipulative or coercive behavior with the reasoning, “I feel Jesus wants me to do this.” Or “I feel Jesus wants me to say this.”

Or how about this? The other day, I met a truck driver who seemed very down to earth. He took one look at me and said, “You’re looking very zen today.” (Know what? That day I was very much positioned at human vibrational frequencies.)

It’s Only Acceptable to Use Energy for PHYSICAL Healing

That seems more widely accepted than even thinking about other energy modalities…  like energy spirituality.

People I’ve met generally seem to accept the idea of energy moving in the body. So it’s okay with them to believe that energy can cause physical healing.

This helps me to understand why these energy-based healing modalities have gone mainstream in Canada, like acupuncture and Reiki and EFT (tapping).

Plus Many Canadians Forget They Don’t Trust Life Beneath the Surface When…

They’ll describe their feelings in great detail. Overheard often are conversations about “Working on myself” to look for “What’s really going on.”

Very popular are self-analysis techniques. (My fellow Canadians often beat themselves up for not doing better).

I’ll hear questions like:

• “Why is this happening to me?”
  • “How does my childhood or past history impact (or prevent me from coping with) this situation now?”
  • “Why can’t I make this work?”
  • “How can I make my life feel meaningful?”
  • “Why can’t this be easier?”

By contrast, far fewer questions address the what, where, when and who. Those practical questions that people ask when they are paying attention to surface, everyday human life.

Doesn’t that Seem Like Energy Awareness to You?

It sure seems like energy awareness/energy sensitivity to me.

However, this does not mean these individuals are willing to talk about energy as such or spiritual growth or anything spiritual or “woo-woo.”

Although so many people I meet would not admit out loud that they are energy sensitive, actions speak louder than words.

Many of their real-life, human decisions seem made (at least in part) based on the vibes they get from someone. They may even actively fear and avoid so-called “toxic” people.

What about Removing Emotional and Spiritual Problems?

Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES) specializes in removal of STUFF: Stuck energies within a person’s energy field that blocks emotional and spiritual growth.

RES includes specific names and techniques for removal of 15 different forms of STUFF.

Seems to me, people with greater energy sensitivity are noticing the impact of what we call STUFF. Which is different from noticing energetic imbalances that are changed by energy medicine modalities or techniques of energy psychology.

Some people around me try to fix what we call STUFF (emotional and spiritual blockage) with energy medicine-type solutions.

Others slogging through psychological work, feeling like they’re making progress and a breakthrough is just around the corner. (While it seems to me that they’re just noticing energies – talking about their feelings more, analyzing their reactions, things like that.)

Energetic? Yes or No?

None of those subjective, workaround techniques is seen as being “energetic.” Sometimes it drives me wild how closed people seem to energetic literacy-type describing energy in ways that address human problems, personal growth, spiritual evolution.

Because I’ve developed Stage Three Energetic Literacy, I know that skill can be gained and then a person can read auras in detail.

But what happens when I suggest the idea of an energetic reality which anyone can read with appropriate skill?

Supposedly, “That’s just New Age mumbo-jumbo.” Or “A big fraud.” Or “All the same thing.”

I Wish These Energy-Feelers Who Remain Staunch Energy-Skeptics Would Read “THE NEW STRONG”

I’m hopeful that the clear logic and observable reality as described in “THE NEW STRONG” will resonate.

These individuals are looking for happiness believing that safety has to be the top priority and that the human level is the only reality. Ironically, they’re blind to being, already, deeply, energy aware.

It’s negatively impacting their lives — until they find a way (like Rose’s program in that book for Easy Vibrational Balance) that helps them adjust better to the Age of Awakening.

“THE NEW STRONG” presents many skills and understandings: “Rules & Tools for Thriving in The Age of Awakening.”

I’m finding it so refreshing to understand the subtle alterations in the New Rules for The Age of Awakening, in contrast to The Old Rules.

Following today’s new rules makes human life work so much better.

Life doesn’t have to be a horrible, hopeless fight. Life can be a joy.

Kira says:

So interesting, Irene! It parallels something I noticed when I first started spending a lot of time in medical settings.

I don’t know if the people I noticed were in spiritual shutdown or spiritual addiction or neither, but I definitely noticed energy talk, and I found the medical field to be a surprising place for it based on what I remembered from spending time as a candy striper in the hospital where my mother had worked and later working in the doctors’ office she worked in.

Kira says:

(I meant, when I first started spending a lot of time *recently* in medical settings.)

Kira says:

I know what you mean about wanting people to read The New Strong (for me, it’s not just energy skeptic, it’s also New Age devotees) and really understand what’s going on.

Lilian says:

Thanks Irene, that actually explains a lot. Spiritual shutdown sounds like people responding to energy awareness in a fear based way.

Lilian says:

To summarise in my own words:

1 – People are spending a lot of time analysing themselves, going round in circles and thinking about how they should be “better” with a pensive attitude in order to feel that they are responding to the energies in a practical way. However, the anxiety and uncertainty makes it harder for them to actually make good practical decisions.

Lilian says:

2 – Despite this, they still respond to people on an energetic basis in an irrational way. (Ha ha, I had one work situation where I was on the receiving end of this…)

Lilian says:

3 – They will accept concepts related to energy as far as their intellect will allow.

I’ve certainly skirted with this state myself. (Mainly because I am empath enough to have probably imported the related stuff in others, but that is another story….)

Lilian says:

Extra note – weird stuff is happening with maths and software where certain ideas are trendy beyond all commonsense, they want to see more than is actually there … as people are trying to accept the new frequencies in a way that fits in with their intellectual understandings. (I’m not explaining this well… but I’ve been a researcher for a decade and yup, scientists are weird folk.)

Lilian says:

THANK-YOU IRENE! You’re worth your weight in gold pennies.

Am really hoping my new workplace is mainly positioned at human frequencies… I think today you have to just make the effort to find places to live and work where the energy awareness is healthy so you are supported.

Lilian says:

So yes, I can quite accept that there’s a lot of spiritual shutdown in the Uk too.

Lilian says:

You know, it the general stubborness and pragmatism of places like the UK that I like. I find it to have been mainly a good influence to someone as abstract as me.

The UK is a good place to learn about perserverence and stability. But I quite accept that this means that we’ll go through a phase of spiritual shutdown in our own stubborn (non-Donald Trumpesque) way.

Irene says:

Kira, what a fascinating observation in #1.

I also spend time in medical settings these days, but I hadn’t put that together. While it is unexpected to find it there with logical, fact-based folk, it is actually kinda makes sense.

Irene says:

Patients are asked “what’s going on in your body” and with the shift, that could very easily be interpreted as “what energies am I feeling” rather than sticking with human body experiences.

Then the doctors have to make sense of the energy experiences/symptoms.

I’m quite certain that happened with me (though I wasn’t in spiritual shutdown at the time), particularly when the pain was severe and I didn’t want to feel my body.

Lilian, so sweet! You started my morning off with a delighted giggle with #9 🙂

And #8, so interesting! The trying to understand without wanting to accept that the whole framework has changed.

I think this is exactly it in #4:
    “Spiritual shutdown sounds like people responding to energy awareness in a fear based way.”

And in #10
    “The twin focuses on making “commonsense” decisions that are actually driven by fear and anxiety give it away.”

There’s more than a hint of that stiff upper lip perseverance and stubbornness in Canada too. Presumably, our inheritance from our British forefathers. 😀

Irene says:

I am personally finding that there are some areas of my life where I need to have some interaction right now for objective reality reasons with people who are not functioning in a vibrationally balanced human way.

Irene says:

This isn’t fun exactly, but knowing how to recognize it (and healing Stuff that’s related with Rose) it’s possible to do what’s needed without getting freaked out or confused the way I was before.

It is of course easier and less weird if I interact with vibrationally balanced folks when possible!

Christine says:

This makes me wonder if any of these energy dynamics are involved in the hiring process (for better or worse) at a time when many employers have to sort through dozens to hundreds of job applications.

As I am currently job searching myself.

Brandi says:

Irene-interesting post:) Thanks for your Canadian take on this.

It got me thinking about a person who,from all observation, is in shutdown. They were curious about my spiritual pursuits and they admitted to being very skeptical about my success in RES. I mean I don’t look any different right?

Funny enough this is going to Peru to do Ayahuasca. So…my pursuits are too woo-woo yet they want to meet a shaman and do this. They said maybe they’ll have an awakening, but probably not. I am just starting to notice what this means now in the Age of Awakening-how people are coping.

David B says:

Great insights, Irene. Thanks for sharing. It’s good to differentiate that even those in Shutdown can be noticing energy. But they’ll not be acknowledging it directly.

Shutdown inherently means repression so acknowledging energies means acknowledging what they’re been repressing. Scary or what?

David B says:

I’d say that out on the west coast of Canada, there is more spiritual addiction. There are lots of spiritual groups. However, many people are more cherry-pickers, not committing to or supporting their groups much. With the high cost of facilities, some of the organized groups are fading out.

Considering this post though, it occurs to me that some of those who spoke energy aware may have actually been in shutdown. They talked the talk but were too stuck to go beyond ideas and self-critique.

David B says:

Hi Brandi

Maybe they’ll have an awakening? Or maybe they’ll have a bad trip in a foreign country. It’s apparently common to be at least violently ill with the stuff.

Drug tourism is such a bad idea. It has nothing to do with spiritual development and can create a host of barriers to progress. Occasionally, it screws people up royally.

Lilian says:

Interesting observation Brandi! Maybe drug taking is another way of keeping energy awareness in a box!

Irene says:

Christine, re #18, it’s hard to know without doing the aura reading research.

But in the end all you can do is the best you can humanly do. It may very well end up working in your favor.

Irene says:

David, heh, re #21, I’m also on the west coast, though not quite as west or coast as you 🙂

I think it depends on who you know. I do casually know of and run across many who strike me as being in spiritual addiction, so I agree that it may very well get closer to the even ratio here.

Irene says:

The people I interact with on a regular basis are much more likely to fit the spiritual shutdown description.

(This links to my background as well. Coming from a fundamentalist Christian family with ties further north and east and having worked in practical business most of my professional career, I would be more likely to encounter spiritual shutdown.)

This is so true in #20:
    “Shutdown inherently means repression”. Which implies that they are in fact aware, but are doing their very best to deny it.

It does seem to be terrifying many people that the world is changing so fast and they can’t figure out how to keep it all the same and safe.

Irene says:

I wonder if that’s some of the attraction to drugs. A so-called “safe” way to step outside the shutdown briefly but not have to acknowledge the energy awareness in real life.

I know a couple people who might fit that description. (Though the one person I know who did ayahuasca is very probably in spiritual addiction.)

Isabella Cates says:

“Going to Peru to take ayahuasca” is really the most disgusting trend that has recently gone mainstream.

Sure, if you want to put yourself in a funk for lifetimes to come, take a trip.

Such a bad, bad, bad idea.

And any shaman who would do this with random, uninitiated tourists is not someone I would trust with my purse, let alone my spiritual wellbeing.

If your friends want to do this, please warn them against it.

Isabella Cates says:

I wonder if the appeal of something like ayahuasca is that it gives a “hit on the head with a frying pan” kind of “spiritual” experience.

In other words, not subtle.

For those feeling stuck or like they are spiritually obtuse, it could be a draw.

David B says:

Hi Irene

Yes, the people I know through IT circles are much more likely to be in Shutdown, like my old Catholic boss.

But the people I know in spiritual circles are much more likely in addiction. However, your point in the article is valid. Some of those may talk the talk the talk but actually be in shutdown.

David B says:

Some smart people I’ve known for awhile have drifted into addiction in recent years. Tell-tale are sloppy statements about “reality” or “truth” and decreased discrimination.

David B says:

I quite agree, Isabella. It’s playing with fire.

Lilian says:

As a final twopence on spiritual shutdown in countries like the UK. I believe that both sides of Brexit, for example, contain people in spiritual shutdown… We really don’t have a Bernie Sanders type of movement anywhere…

Thanks so much for these posts all. The US and the UK are such different places.

Brandi says:

I think David you are right-for this person more of a Drug holiday (a party is not a ceremony).

Isabella- I will certainly do my due diligence of saying something.

Just for fun there is a YouTube video from JP Sears where he is bringing awareness to how “it is becoming more common for people to use something that is very sacred in a very non-sacred way”. (his words).

Brandi says:

Youtube link for JP Sears Ultra Spiritual LIfe Episode 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_u0reE6bjI

Lilian says:

lol, I’ve found JP Sears on YouTube too.

Irene says:

Spiritual addiction is so, so easy these days. It’s so seductive to play with energies (if you’re not terrified of them, and sometimes even if you are) and let the difficult human things slide.

Especially when you don’t know the world’s changed.

Irene says:

In some ways I almost feel spiritually shutdown people are *more* aware, and they become so freaked out by it they have to shut it out entirely.

Which ends by making them more stuck.

Hard to grow without being willing to look at what’s real and what needs to change for growth to happen.

Irene says:

Lilian, re #34, I think Canada is in general more similar to the U.K. than the U.S. in that respect.

Irene says:

I think many people don’t even consider that there is the potential for negative side effects (beyond chemical addiction) from drug use.

It’s sad and really rather naive to assume that “well maybe I’ll get spiritual benefit from this” without also considering “well maybe there are some unpleasant spiritual side effects that might happen”.

Irene says:

While I don’t think the astral is some frightening scary thing, I also don’t think it should be taken lightly.

There are reasons why it’s a good idea to do sacred things in a sacred way.

Rachel says:

The (few) people I know who have got into drugs don’t tend to rationally weigh up the pros and cons. It’s an instinctual thing.

Much like the Brexit vote ?.

Irene says:

Interesting observation in #43, Rachel. My experience is different somewhat.

The people I have known who used recreational drugs generally rationalized and offered excuses. They were quite aware of the commonly discussed consequences, generally physical in nature, like the possible likelihood of severe addiction for different drugs, liver damage from alcohol, respiratory damage from pot smoking, etc. They were also sometimes aware of short-term emotional impacts, like alcohol having a depressive effect.

Irene says:

None of this changed their willingness to continue using the drugs (though it did sometimes impact how they took them or which drugs they chose). I don’t know if knowing about spiritual and emotional consequences would have changed anything.

But maybe if I’d known about this and mentioned it (sometimes emotional consequences are readily observable), they would at least have been making a more informed choice.

Irene says:

Certainly the individual who did ayahuasca (in the Vancouver area, so she didn’t have to go to Peru either) looked at the pros and cons, particularly the spiritual implications before going ahead.

She believed it would be a big positive, worth the negative physical side effects and the expense.

Irene says:

I considered it after she mentioned it for similar reasons. I didn’t do it, simply because it never became a priority, not because I had any idea about any of this.

(I have had some really powerful spiritual protection in my life, for which I am very grateful. Many times I could have gotten very sidetracked but didn’t.)

Irene says:

There just isn’t even an indication out there that there could be big negative spiritual consequences to drug use, which does make it difficult to make an informed choice about it.

Though it is true that some, possibly many, would choose to use the drugs anyway even if they did know.