Use Your Creativity

It's not enough to be talented. Give it away. Use your creativity.

It’s not enough to BE talented. Give some of your talent away: Use your creativity.

Do you long to use your creativity more? Please do.

Creativity makes us human. When children first go to school, they are invited to create, create, create.

Remember how proud preschooler GLADYS would bring home a song she learned. Then she would create a performance for you.

Tiny Tot Performance Art. Yum!

Later that day, little GLADYS might treat you to 20 variations on that same performance.

To you, this might seem like repetition. Yet for GLADYS, it was an ever-fresh festival of fun.

Kids are born with boundless creativity. Including you, back in the day. What if you don’t remember how to use that creativity? You can learn afresh.

Goofy Creativity, Yours to Use “Just Because”

Take inspiration from creativity in children. How kids carry home their colorful paintings. Messy creativity feels natural to them.

Meanwhile parents feel good, receiving each gift. These “works of art” simply ripple with joy at being alive.

Some funny little “useful object” made of clay or the like. A loving parent will keep it around, right? Maybe for years.

Actually, I have one such object on my desk right now. (Next to my computer monitor.) If you’re here for a session, ask me to show it to you: An oddly shaped clay dish, mustard yellow in hue. Definitely, this is not museum quality.

My son MATT made it in kindergarten.

I love this dish, even though by artistic standards it would probably be deemed “ugly.” Although not to me. To me this is a vessel of love. Whenever I see it, I light up.

Even the clumsy initials MATT carved on the bottom. Even that, I love. Undoubtedly his scribble on the clay helped his teacher to tell apart each of these strangely configured wads of creativity, captured in clay.

Well, the message comes through loud and clear.

Encoded in that funny-looking dish is MATT’s kindy-aged way of beaming his Mom with love.

We Adults Can Use Creativity Just as Much as Kids

Having The Yellow Thing on my desk makes me happy. Probably that’s because of how it makes me feel, more than simply its appearance. Or, ahem, utility.

What happens when I catch a glimpse of that Thing, covered with public-school-budget golden paint?

Could be gold leaf, far as I’m concerned. Seeing my son’s creation reminds me of the quality of love that he had for me back then. Also, how I loved him then.

Different from how he loves me now, at 25! Or how I love the man he is now.

Whatever you create can serve as a vessel of love, a lasting treasure.

Don’t be shy. Use your creativity to give gifts to others. Transmitting a message of love can be your goal, not museum-quality perfection. And, as adults, our opportunities to use creativity are unlimited.

How Can You Use More Creativity?

Creativity is where many of us adults get stuck. Don’t wait for somebody to give you an assignment.

Variations on what you’re already doing count as creativity. So many things we do routinely can be tweaked into “Use my creativity.” For instance:

• Solve a problem, like “Where can my mother hold a few lipsticks… 20 years from now?” 😉
  • Make something new, any which way. You can use creativity to write a poem. Do karaoke. Dance the corniest dance, ever — just to make your loved one smile.
  • Combine routine things in a new way, like how you serve yourself dinner. Where do you put what on the plate? Swirl it up. Stripe it on. Glob on the salsa!

What Else Can Help You to Use More Creativity?

If it helps you get moving, remember that your supplies include a limitless wealth of love. Whenever you use creativity, direct it towards expressing how you feel towards a person you like or love.

Since creativity is a flow, you may find yourself more inventive than ever.

Especially if you hate doing the same thing twice, add that bit of love or playfulness to make somebody smile. (Whether yourself or somebody else.) That counts as using creativity, you know.

For example, GLADYS isn’t enamoured of making her bed. But she bought one of those pillow sets along with a fresh bedspread. Now she’s got 10 (!!!!!Ten!!!!!) different pillows to live-sculpt whenever she makes her bed.

With her new art form, GLADYS plays with different ways of arranging those pillows. Never the same, two days in a row!

Honestly, why do anything the same way every day?

Are you just taking measurements for your coffin?

Why do that, when your path to Enlightenment could be decorated with your creativity?

GLADYS gets to use her creativity to please the one she shares the bed with. Just a little something fun. Every single day. Why not?

Forget any Pressures. When Using Creativity, Free Yourself Up

Yesterday I revised my blog post on the sad story of C-list actress Brittany Murphy. (Aura Reading Brittany Murphy, Dying Young in Pursuit of Fame was part of our Top 10 Post about Paying the Price.)

For the aspiring movie star, creativity demanded fame. Apparently creativity through acting wasn’t enough in itself. Otherwise, when Brittany Murphy stopped getting good roles, when then? Maybe she could have changed her lifestyle, done acting part time. Acting for the love of it. Acting to give to others.

Evidently to Brittany Murphy, creativity for its own sake wasn’t enough. Using her creativity meant being recognized and lauded. Maybe Academy Awarded.

Especially relevant to today’s discussion, isn’t that a weird distortion of creativity?

Why would your joyful use of creativity depend on external validation? Isn’t it enough that you create and it brings some joy into this world? Can’t that be enough?

So What If We Live in a Vanity Culture!

Use your creativity to dance. You don’t have to be seen on “Dancing with the Stars.”

Use your creativity to sing. Not every good singer can earn a slot on “The Voice.”

Don’t let our crazy-making vanity culture rob you of a precious gift.

When you use your creativity, let it be innocent.

Like any good thing we humans can do, using creativity is ultimately spiritual.

To Use Creativity, Be Generous (Not Judgey)

What do I mean here? Use creativity to make life more fun, for yourself and others:

• Fun can motivate you.
  • Or service to others.
  • Or the impulse for variety.
  • Or love, expressed through an art form as silly as arranging bedroom pillows.

Why let society’s values control your creativity? Use that creativity to express innocent joy in the moment. The more freely you use your creativity, the easier it will become for you to find your sacred flow. At. Everything.

Now Let’s Hear From You Blog-Buddies. How Do YOU Like to Use Creativity?

I’ll start the ball rolling with this share:

Resources to use creativity.

I can walk through every room of my house and find supplies that I’ve collected on purpose. Simply to use for creativity.

Have you also put together informal “toy boxes” throughout your home? Creativity supplies might be anywhere…  in the form of a musical instrument that you can pick up. Or a box of aromatherapy fragrances.

Here, some jars of cooking spices; there, a glorious and messy collection of crayons.

Can’t you find that too? If not, why not? Gather together some of those resources and you’ll find yourself using your creativity more.

When I mix in those toy boxes with love, bam! Creativity just flows.

And when something you create is appreciated by somebody else, isn’t that one of the sweetest feelings ever?

Julie says:

I love this post!

I recently did Aura Research with Rose on what foods benefit me. A dream food for me was butter.

Finding out what foods taste extra good with melting butter on top? That’s creativity!

Isabella Cates says:

lol, Julie, isn’t that everything??

Amanda says:

Yay! What a great topic.

I’ve recently begun to see entertaining people to dinner as just that. Entertaining! It’s been so much fun.

We’ve had a summer barbecue in February (reggae on with the heating up to 28 degrees: guests in summer clothes).

Amanda says:

We also hosted an In-Out Brexit debate dinner with a polling booth and a European menu ending in Hard Cheese and Sour Grapes.

Amanda says:

My daughter’s sixteenth party is coming up and we’re doing it as a Taskmaster party where the guests do various creative tasks (Impress me. You have one minute) and at the end of the evening there will be a prize.

This one in an attempt to try and avoid the ‘get drunk and make a mess’ tendency of teenage parties. 🙂

Amanda says:

It makes it more fun for us and our guests.

Thanks for this joyous post, Rose!

Amanda

Brianne says:

I find that I generally keep my creativity under wraps because it is exhausting to face mockery and/or amazement from other people all the time.

It doesn’t have much to do with shyness for me personally but battle scars from interactions with unkind or clueless people.

Brianne says:

Stuff can always, always be healed, but for now at least I keep my tender creative plants carefully protected from adverse weather.

Brianne says:

Fostering a supportive environment for creativity is an essential part of creative process for me.

Creativity a worthwhile pursuit and brings much joy to my human life, but it takes great courage and strength too.

Lilian says:

Brianne: Yup. Though my numerical creativity is my job… my livelihood: Putting together abstract ideas to make the things happen. That’s the talent I have to make cash.

Lilian says:

The main skill is to handle the mostly male senior people whose main skill is being territorial. (Though that’s predictable now, lol. You have to laugh…)

Lilian says:

Yeah, so sometimes you can do creativity for its own sake, but creativity is also something given to you to survive.

Separating out what you do for a living and what you can do for fun is important. But I’m finding ways to enjoy being creative, whatever kind of pressured situation I’m in.

Lilian says:

But creativity is always important and should be respected.

If you think about all the endless ways women think about and support their children (like I’m sure you do with Matt, Rose)… sure its sweet, but also its literally making the next generation stronger and more able to survive and more able to contribute to society as adults.

Lilian says:

(Personally, I owe a lot to schools I went to growing up, without the stabilising input from them I wouldn’t have survived home, not at all.)

Lilian says:

(And my numerical creativity comes from the same magical place as my other sources of creativity. I’m not a robot, … lol. Though I know its generally less relatable than if I talked about painting, for example.)

Lilian says:

Yeah, that’s what I should say in job interviews: I’m not a a) robot b) wizard c) able to create results without source data or having basic IT resources. I think people are starting to get that…

I’m loving these comments.

Growing up, I had the misconception that creativity only related to artists and fiction writers.

Since I could not paint or write short stories, I assumed I had no creativity.

Then a teacher pointed out that I have a gift for synthesizing ideas, making connections between disparate things. That is a form of creativity.

I’ve realized since becoming a young adult librarian that I am also creative in groups.

I have an ability to be very spontaneous, and to collaborate with other people to have fun.

This in not a use of creativity I could ever have imagined as a child.

I also have found that I am a creative cook, which means that I have a fair amount of failed meals, but sometimes my cooking is magic 🙂

Lilian says:

Kylie: I’m imagining you’re making all the difference to the young people you work with… You’re demonstrating to the YA you work with how to problem solve and to make life more interesting. 🙂

I’m forever grateful to my Irish teachers at my Catholic primary school.

Lilian says:

There’s a colleague at work who’s about 5 years younger than me, she doesn’t have the qualifications I have, but she’s a whizz at getting all kinds of things done.

I’ve been trying to explain to her how good she is at her job…

Lilian says:

People who are naturally talented often just don’t realise what it is they do. lol.

That’s why its fun to just play sometimes, you don’t have to think about your market value but have fun immersing yourself in something.

All these comments are so wonderful. However, I do want to give a special shout-out to your Comment #23, LILIAN.

It’s so true that talent comes easily. Therefore, people can think that what they’re creating in that way doesn’t count.

Also, playing creatively does make it easier for the talents and interests to flow. Brava, LILIAN!

Lilian says:

Rose, definitely, also people are taught to rank talents in a kind of hierarchy… which is total rubbish.

Lilian says:

I read an autobiography of rural Irish life once and there were two neighbours on an island.

One neighbour was super good as practical things like fixing the huts, while the other one could remember all the saints days, traditions, stories etc which kept up moral and made their hard-working lives a bit more magical.

But they both appreciated the other. This probably explains why my kind haven’t been wiped out by a famine. lol.

Isabella Cates says:

Lmao, Lilian, at that last comment. XD

David B says:

I have a lot of fun with trying to write about very abstract subjects.

I use creative problem solving in my tech work too.

Creativity brings fun so I fully agree. It’s a muscle we should exercise.

Thanks Lilian. Great comments! I love your story of the neighbors. I haven’t been to Ireland, but when I went to Scotland I noticed how many people were happy to tell you stories or break into a song. So different from American culture, I loved it.

I read an article recently about how kids don’t play freely very often anymore. Parents are afraid they will get hurt, and there aren’t many communal spaces where kids can count on being able to go there (for free) find other kids and do fun things.

So they stay at home playing on their devices.

One man created a “playborhood” in his back yard, encouraged all of the neighborhood kids to come there.

Oh, how I’m enjoying your comments, everybody.

Regarding Comment #29, I’d like to give special acknowledgement to you, DAVID B. It so happens that some of your creativity for writing about very abstract subjects shows up in an important way at your blog.

For all you Blog-Buddies interested in the nuances of the other kind of Enlightenment — not the Householder Enlightenment that I write about but the other, more universally recognized kind — which I’m calling “The Surrender Model of Enlightenment” — you really can’t do better than to read the latest at Davidya.ca

For instance, check out the magnificent new post called “Further Stages.”

Lilian says:

Kylie, community is a great thing. 🙂

Primmie says:

Great post!

Amanda your parties sound amazing! I love the Brexit dessert.

Primmie says:

I take being creative for granted really. It’s a steady force that just keeps on in me.

I only really know that it is like that because I’m raising an artist.

Primmie says:

At 4 my daughter creates all the time.

She’s a messy productive earnest yet spontaneous little creature, and I realise watching her that the apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree.

I am exactly the same! Well. Not quite so messy.

PRIMMIE, I agree about AMANDA’s party ideas. I was braggin’ on it to my husband, the hard cheese and sour grapes. 😉

You know, my considered opinion is that EVERYONE is creative and creates without ceasing. Though all of us are not artists like your daughter and you.

If any of you have “The Master Empath,” you might turn to that poem in the front about how empaths “create without ceasing.”

As strongly as I believe anything, I’m convinced this is true of all empaths. And also (differently) true of all non-empaths.

Your son, for instance, PRIMMIE, is constantly creating how to send back-and-forth telegraphs to the Divine… while in his human body. If that’s not creative, what is?

David B says:

Thanks, Rose.

Primmie says:

Rose, I agree. I think the steady force of being is a person creating.

Life is creativity, at least it seems that way to me. Often the word means artistry in the traditional sense, but that isn’t all it is.

My son may not be able to hold a pen or a brush but he is, as you say, creating all the time. He loves numbers and letters and in our local park there is a line of letters painted on the playground that make up the alphabet. My son always walks the alphabet, meandering from letter to letter and he sings his own alphabet song. It’s lovely. His own way of creating.

Kristine says:

It’s interesting how creativity shows up and takes different forms. I like to write but then stop short thinking no one will get what I’m saying. BUT then that’s an assumption and an unnecessary judgement.

I find this so encouraging: “The more freely you use your creativity, the easier it will become for you to find your sacred flow. At. Everything.”

Kristine says:

Some forms of creativity are natural and fun and known to me…others I’m sure are taken for granted.

I have had spurts of creativity and surprise at what I was able to do.

I think no pressure is a key element. Doing it for the fun of it!