How to Survive a Trump Presidency

Some of us will never forget the grief of this election.

A Trump Presidency  — Some of us will never forget the grief and fear caused by this election. How can we bear it?

Yes, how can we bear it? And how will we survive a Trump Presidency?

That’s a question heard around the world. Abroad, the U.S. used to stand as a source of inspiration. Now we are feared.

Many of us in this country echo the sentiments of Guardian writer Jessica Valenti, “I thought I was just scared of Trump – but it’s his America I fear.”

How can we survive this?

How Can We Bear a Trump Presidency?

The question dawned upon me as I sat with my husband, watching TV election coverage. We sat in the same room where, in 2000, we saw the presidential election start to go terribly, terribly wrong.

Yet we did survive eight years of a Dubya presidency. Now we must learn how to survive something even worse, a Trump presidency. And I thought I was praying a lot about my country before this election!

Thank goodness, I awoke on this grey morning with my first idea about how we can bear all this. Because some Americans are jubilant. Others never cared. But some of us followed this campaign very thoroughly, and we do care a great deal.

For us, my share today: My first clarity as a teacher of personal growth after the election of Trump. Today’s article articulates my first idea of a something that each of us can do, if we wish.

During the Trump Presidency, Fall Back on Yourself

Fall back on yourself in a very human way. This will help you to do the best you can.

• Hold on. Of course! I’ve got some ‘splainin’ to do.
  • First, where did I even get the language “Fall back on [any kind of] Self”?

Second, what does that ancient ideal mean now, in The Age of Awakening?

“Fall back on the Self” is advice that I used to get from my guru, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Attending courses on Transcendental Meditation (TM), I heard it plenty. Since I sat at Maharishi’s feet for a year altogether, taking teacher training courses from 1969 – 1975, I heard this idea quite often.

What did Maharishi mean with his recommendation? (Disclaimer: It’s very, very different from what I mean by mine.)

Fall Back on Your Self… Long Before the Trump Presidency

Back in the day, Maharishi invited us to pay attention to silence. To bliss. To Higher Self.

As in the following paraphrase of what he encouraged us to do. Remember, please, what follows is advice I’m adapting, not recommending. Anyway, Maharishi’s version went like this, as I understood it:

“Suppose you’re hanging out with your best buds and somebody hurts your feelings.

“Don’t sit and feel sorry for yourself. Instead, pretend you’re meditating. Just for a split second.

“Re-experience the transcendence from human life. Breathe the breath of God, and witness your Self, playing a little human game.

“Be uplifted, spiritually. Because that is the only learning that matters.”

Again, note. I am NOT recommending this. Trump presidency or no Trump presidency!

Living today, doing this would be a great recipe for developing spiritual addiction.

Trump’s Presidency Demands that We Do Something More HUMAN

Living now, in this Age of Awakening, what does it mean to “Fall back on your Self”?

My slogan looks more like this. “Fall back on your human self.”

In other words…

To Survive a Trump Presidency, Tip #1. Don’t Disassociate.

No matter how scared or disgusted you feel about a Trump presidency, don’t let that mess with your mind. In particular, don’t disassociate from what people say and do. Although that may bring you comfort, you’ll slow down your personal growth.

Turning down the radio or TV sound whenever Trump’s voice comes on? To me, that’s standard operating procedure with media. 😉 Which doesn’t require disassociating, since there are plenty of other things in life to notice instead of this particular man. Thank God!

What else? Never seek to protect yourself from Trumpism by transcending “mere” life in ways like these:

• Neither take orders from your angels.
  • Nor await a rapture, for heaven’s sake.
  • You’re mature enough to stop expecting God to clean up earth’s mess, right?
  • Finally, resist any temptation to smoke another joint and enjoy Stoner World.

In short, please don’t try to survive the Trump presidency with a consciousness lifestyle that would propel you into spiritual addiction.

My theory? Many non-voters have been in spiritual addiction; and probably this is true of all who voted for Gary Johnson.

To Survive a Trump Presidency, Tip #2. Don’t Numb Yourself.

What does that mean, numb yourself?

Many folks are adjusting to The Age of Awakening by shutting down their hearts and minds.

What is that like, with awareness? An everyday triumph of denial. Incidentally, this shows clearly in auras. What human-type behavior corresponds?

• Paying attention to the surface of life as though inner life didn’t even exist.
  • Refusing to learn from life experience, or even be curious about it.
  • With this positioning of consciousness, a person solves problems by finding people to blame.
  • Painkillers, sadly, could be part of this pattern.
  • So is getting a buzz off beer.
  • And let’s not forget to mention how millions get a sense of righteousness by following that old-time religion.

In my experience researching auras, any of these choices leads to an energy-level pattern of spiritual shutdown.

From what I can tell with research using energetic literacy, most Trump voters live that way.

Like spiritual addiction, the consciousness lifestyle of spiritual shutdown can always change. Assuming that a person feels the desire to change.

To Survive a Trump Presidency, Tip #3. Stay Human

Of course, you can choose the option to stay human.

Fall back on your human self.

Given your particular human situation, right now… figure out how to do your reasonable best. Then follow through.

Previously at this blog, sometimes I have written about this consciousness lifestyle as human-based spirituality. Of course you can live that way.

Want to take that even further? Upgrade your skills with my Program for Easy Vibrational Balance.

A Trump Presidency Cannot Take Away Your Humanity

Not unless you let that happen. And I know you won’t.

So let’s review. What does it mean to do your reasonable best as a human being?

• Say things.
  • Do things.
  • Find ways to deal with your current human reality.

The Horror of a Trump Presidency

Yes, sadly. A Trump Presidency is becoming our reality in America.

Oh, Blog-Buddies, I’m not happy about it.

Sitting in front of the TV with my dear husband, watching election results, I saw the usual joy leave his face. The color drained out. Even his extraordinary equanimity! (One of the very distinctive ways that my husband’s light shines out, something about him that I love so much.)

But no Trump presidency will steal away my husband’s equanimity. And not yours or mine, either.

In the long run, we’ll all do just fine.

Anchie says:

Thank you Rose for your inspiringly practical and grounding words.

They are like a compass- helping me, and I’m sure, others too, find direction in this morass. Thank you!

Raininmai says:

This article has been helpful to me.

After a 19 hour day of being a poll worker, I came home to find out the election result. The anxiety attack was immediate.

A exhausted as I was, I could barely sleep. Through the day, I’ve found avoiding television news and commentary is necessary for my well being.

Connecting with my human life; is that what the psychologists call mindfulness?

Sandra says:

Thank you, Rose. I feel motivated by the results of this election, as well.

Eleanor Thomas says:

Not thrilled with last night’s results. Not even close.

But I am thrilled to be part of this team of RES professionals and apprentices, working hard to do all the good I can, for as many people as I can, all the ways I can, as long as ever I can.

Bridget says:

Obama is quoted online giving advice on how to get through tough times. He explained,

“…I’d invested a lot of time and effort into something that didn’t seem to be working. But the thing that got me through that moment, and any other time that I’ve felt stuck, is to remind myself that it’s about the work.

Bridget says:

“Because if you’re worrying about yourself—if you’re thinking: ‘Am I succeeding? Am I in the right position? Am I being appreciated?’ – then you’re going to end up feeling frustrated and stuck. But if you can keep it about the work, you’ll always have a path. There’s always something to be done.”

Bridget says:

I think it’s beautiful advice.

Keep it about reality. Keep it about the work.

Don’t think about the subjective pain, just continue to do and say things to achieve your goals in objective reality.

Awe, ELEANOR!

Sweet, SANDRA!

RANINMAI, I can’t comment on what a psychologist would call anything.

I’m not a mental health professional. RES is different.

But I sure can thank you for your service. The free and fair election depended on volunteers like you.

BRIDGET, magnificent insights from you! And another of my heroes, President Obama.

Thank you for this article Rose, and everyone for your comments.

It was a terrible day for me. I wish I felt cut out to deal with the coming nightmare. I do not.

But this is basically the conclusion I came to today–that what will get me through is keeping it human and keeping it about the work, and doing what I can, one interaction at a time.

Bernie says:

I must confess I felt some horror on hearing the result.

I do now wonder if there’s any prospect of Mr Trump eventually being changed for the better by the responsibilities of his new job, if his better qualities might somehow be encouraged to rise to the fore.

Unlikely, perhaps, but I live in hope!

Bernie says:

Thank you for your very helpful article. I was particulary struck by the words “You’re mature enough to stop expecting God to clean up Earth’s mess, right?”

I immediately applied that sentiment to my own personal mess.

Bernie says:

I can sometimes be a bit too inclined to think “Oh… things will surely work themselves out…” when I might do better to grab the bull by the horns and think “what action can I take to sort this out”! 🙂

Isabella Cates says:

Thanks for the wonderful advice, Rose.

Anyone who would do that to Mitch goes on my “bad” list. So just one more tick against Trump.

Isabella Cates says:

I went through fear, grief, and sadness pretty quickly as the results came in, and by the time he was officially declared the winner, I had landed on acceptance.

Isabella Cates says:

Before the night was over, my feeling was: Tomorrow I will still care about the same things, love the same people.

Trump hasn’t changed me, except for the better. My hope for myself is that this inspires me to become less meek around the ways I can help, the things that I know, my opinions.

Isabella Cates says:

I hope that others are inspired and galvanized in a similar way.

May our shock and pain turn into inspired action.

Isabella Cates says:

I loved the Bible quote Clinton paraphrased in her concession speech: “Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in good season we shall reap.”

If Hillary Clinton can say that, and believe it, on a day like today, after a life like her life, I can too.

Lilian says:

Thanks all. Here’s a nice YouTube video from a very adorable LGBTQ youtuber.

Seeing photos of Hillary and Bill yesterday was very inspiring. THey certainly haven’t given up hope either.

Kathleen says:

Thanks Rose for your inspiring and hopeful article, and everyone for their thoughtful comments.

Kathleen says:

I was watching the start of the election results at work in Australia.

I was trying to work, as others were around me, but focus kept shifting to the incoming numbers.

Kathleen says:

I started getting a bad feeling early on, and I couldn’t help but plead with God at one point to help, to intervene, on behalf of the world.

I got a clear message back: people will chose what people will chose. End of story.

I felt a lot of terror at different points.

Kathleen says:

I was more devastated when I finally got home than I have probably been in my adult life.

Kathleen says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you in the US.

I know that everything will be okay in the end, even if we can’t see it right now.

Anna says:

I am moving in slow motion. It is my way of dealing with it.

Hillary Clinton is what I keep flashing back to. This week, I want to help with “feed the children” so my energy can help others.

Sean Mennell says:

Thank you for your post Rose, it was reassuring and I love your skills as a writer.

Even though I live in the UK, I really cared about the result of the election. This affects the whole world.

Hope faded temporarily, but hope is something that can never be taken away. I for one am more determined to live a more happy, fulfilling, life, there is so much to look forward to. Thanks again Rose!

Eleanor Thomas says:

Thank you, Isabella. <3

Your words are deeply inspiring to me. We may have a lot more work to do than we realized… but we are still here, committed to those same goals, with all the power and love we had before. Or more. In that sense, indeed, it hasn't changed.

Eleanor Thomas says:

Your comment about becoming less meek resonates strongly for me as well.

Growing into my new name–and accepting some of the hard realities that came along with it, not just the wonderful bits–has made that process of stepping up a lot easier.

Eleanor Thomas says:

It’s very, very challenging to put oneself forward and say: look, this is me, this is who I am. This is the person you’ve hurt with your actions. Really see me.

But the kind of power that comes with being able to do that, and then get back up and keep fighting, is without comparison. May we start being more and more seen and heard so that we may be an example to others.

You don’t have to be shut down. You don’t have to be in denial. It’s scary to be vulnerable, but that doesn’t mean it’s not safe. In some cases, it is okay. And it gets easier.

Amanda says:

I am amazed by the parallels of events and emotions with Brexit. This is another shock result.

If the parallels continue, the Democrats will be left in disarray trying to find a leader and strategy after such a massive upheaval.

Amanda says:

One parallel I hope we will now see – the big personalities who led Brexit with their instinctive understanding of electoral anger and their enormous promises of sweeping change will all but vanish.

Amanda says:

Big promises vanish when they hit the reality of political process and the nuts and bolts of reform.

Donald Trump, shorn of his ragtag and constantly changing team and now absorbed into the Establishment will have far less capacity than he thinks.

Amanda says:

He is accountable and impeachable.

His business interests will vanish.

He will not be able to go where he likes when he wants to.

He has a lot of learning to do and an apparatus of government constraining him.

Trump’s America is unlikely to emerge in the way that we fear.

Amanda says:

Many people who voted Brexit were also shocked by the result. They ‘hadn’t really meant it.’

A lot of people felt cheated as they watched the big promises vanish overnight.

To them it was a protest vote that got out of hand. They won’t be doing that again.

So there is hope. And it’s only four years!

Amanda

Lilian says:

Hi Amanda, thanks for all your comments. At least Parliament now has the right to decide how to do Brexit, and so that is constrained within the establishment… in the same way we hope Trump will be…

Brexit was tough emotionally.

Jean says:

Rose thank you for this.

And thank you all for your comments here.

Yes so many tears..tears shed to help heal.

Then on to the work.

Jean says:

I have to smile. After passing through many dark hours I decided to focus on the work – the work of my human life.

Jean says:

Then to read this post.

Yes – just as Rose says here

– just as many of these comments reflect.

Jean says:

I will weep when needed – will experience dark moments.
    Yet I find myself dedicated
    now more than ever
    to doing my best..to do good.

Jean says:

Blessings to Rose, Mitch, our RES community and to the world.

🙂

Dana K. says:

Amanda I completely agree with your #23.

I also find another thing to hang my hat on: I think the guy that ran for office was a bit of a character, in that, Trump was a liberal right up until he ran.

Dana K. says:

He’s more comfortable at an expensive philanthropic event with Manhattan socialites then with the people he promised walls and deportations.

I don’t want more anger, but I hope that his desire to fulfill their needs quickly vanishes, and I think there is a good chance it might.

Dana K. says:

Of course, that won’t turn him into the amazing man Obama has been for the U.S.

But it’s better than the guy that campaigned.

Dana K. says:

Another silver lining: I’m more motivated than ever.

Dana K. says:

Did you hear about pantsuit nation?

It began as a secret facebook group of friends that agreed to wear pantsuits to the polls and within two weeks ballooned into over 3 million people.

Dana K. says:

I was added the Sunday before the election. And thank goodness for that. As I didn’t handle the results too well.

Fear, stomach aches, I couldn’t sleep. I did get up and take care of my kids but after I dropped off my 5 year old I came home and cried.

Actually I cried before I took her, too.

Dana K. says:

But that group was so inspirational and by the time I went to bed last night I was feeling motivated to take action through that group.

And this morning I had a very small stomach ache, and found this post, and I’m thankful for this group, also. 🙂

Dana K. says:

I’m going to continue to learn with Rose.

And be big hearted, doing all the good I can in all the ways I can as long as ever I can.

Dana K. says:

And pantsuit nation has said it will be organizing local chapters and we will be supporting the next candidate (Elizabeth Warren?)

I can only hope!

Dana K. says:

But the facebook group is no longer secret, its public and anyone can join, along with signing up for their newsletter and the website (less than a week old) is here if you’d like to join, too:.

Eleanor Thomas says:

Amanda,

Thank you for your encouragement in comments 23 and 24.

I can only hope you’re right! If our American democracy works as we have intended it to, that’s exactly what will happen.

Eleanor Thomas says:

We set it up to guard against total destruction by one person, or even one movement.

Now we see the test of that.

Eleanor Thomas says:

Folks, those in the US who will be eligible to vote by then, please vote in 2018.

Don’t skip it just because it isn’t as televised!

Eleanor Thomas says:

We will have a big chance in two years to put another barrier in place to prevent further damage, beyond what may happen by then.

Put it on your calendar now so you don’t forget this day by then! 🙂 thanks

Amanda says:

Great points, Dana, Eleanor and Lilian.

One thing I found with Brexit is that the emotional strain before the election was far worse – all speculation and waiting.

Now reality gets to kick in – a much safer place to be!

🙂 love to all,

Amanda

Chloe says:

I am so willing to stay human and do and say things just as much as before or better than I have. I’m so inspired by all of you, and Hillary, and your comments.

Jem says:

I wonder what human actions we could take as a collective in response to this, if we mobilised.

Trump said he would only accept the outcome if he won.

Why are we so passive?

Bev says:

Standing up and speaking out if we witness others being treated inappropriately.

The time to be a silent witness and walk away is over.

We must live kindly and actively show kindness and respect to those in our daily lives.

Bev says:

And as Hilary said in her speech, an “open mind” is also owed to President Elect Trump in our “giving him a chance to lead”. But we will be watching and should never tolerate hate, bigotry, racism and intolerance.

Which also means we also must take care that in our fear and outrage, we don’t exhibit hate and intolerance.

We have plenty TO DO. Stay focused and find ways to show your love.

Lilian says:

Here’s a thing: I tend to watch, or listen to at least, a lot of youtube videos on DIY, housebuilding, off-grid technology, water storage etc. So I’ve gotten to be aware of homesteading youtubers… and I’ve liked them.

I like practical stuff. It’s only more recently that I realised that all these people are most likely to be Republicans.

Lilian says:

I can now see where the Republican sense of identity comes from. I respect the general premise of it. (At least the parts that don’t mix Church and State.)

The sad thing is that everything that Rose said in her youtube video about Trump leading by causing confusion and instability is true. These people deserve a good leader as much as anyone else does.

Sophie says:

Perhaps Trump will do a Pope Francis.

How has Pope Francis changed so far? A comparison Skilled Empath Merge.

Or perhaps he represents a festering boil that needs lancing so the muck can come out before real deep healing can fully take place.

Sophie says:

I feel thankful for Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine and all their supporters and helpers for running such a joyous and hope filled campaign.

I also feel morose and still tearful at the outcome, that so many voters decided it was better to slam the door in the face of that joy and hope and wealth of experience and wisdom.

Sophie says:

Thank you for the reminder Rose to keep grounded in human reality.

I also liked when Obama said “The path that this country has taken has never been a straight line. We zig and we zag.”

Sophie says:

That is a good reminder too, to steady the course even when going through a zig or a zag.

It does annoy me though to think that the US president-elect will likely need to be mollycoddled by those around him to prevent him from sticking forks in power outlets. Maybe they will only let him use plastic forks.

Lilian says:

Nah, I take most of that goodwill back…

Julie says:

A bitter outcome to the election, yet it doesn’t change certain core-level values that my soul (I won’t even say “believes in”) –

That my soul *lives*.

If anything, the commitment is stronger.