Grief Howl! Mourning New Age

grief howl, mourning

Daring to shout out a grief howl for New Age hopes and promises

What’s a grief howl? Mourning on a social level. Lamenting the loss of a group. Acknowledging when something has gone terribly wrong with many, many cherished individuals.

Today I’ll come clean and acknowledge my personal sense of loss. Truth is, New Age doesn’t work any more. Probably I used to invest as much in New Age as any of you who are reading this.

Today’s grief howl expresses a terrible degree of sorrow. Living post-New-Age, I’ll express my personal sense of loss that New Age doesn’t work any more.

Before you can fully thrive in the Age of Awakening, what’s stuck for you? Might you also benefit from grieving a little. So it’s possible that the little two-part series I first envisaged… will turn out to be a bit longer.

You see, last night we began a blog discussion over New Age versus The Age of Awakening. Originally this short series was meant to simply be educational. Helping readers to separate out current truth from beliefs and practices that, sadly, are now obsolete. Why?

Like it or not, we’re living Post New Age now.

Fact is, until we move on, humanity can’t benefit from the glorious potential of this Age of Awakening.

Before we say hello to the new, sometimes we must say goodbye to the old. That includes admitting what all humans on earth happen to live at a time that is decidedly post-New Age.

Grief Howl, Despite Gratitude for The Age of Awakening

Last night I thought, “BERT’S guest post could be such an excellent teachable topic. Besides, he’s a brilliant guy who loves to learn. If anyone could be a good sport about this discussion, it’s BERT. So bring on new knowledge about how to thrive in The Age of Awakening!”

What didn’t I think? Mourning. Grief. Even howl!

And yet here it is.

So today I’ll give voice to that.

Among other things, this blog serves as a historical record, documenting one courageous group of consciousness pioneers who are exploring leading-edge ways to make life better:

We Blog-Buddies who seek personal growth and spiritual awakening. We, the people who happen to live now. Dring earth’s transition into The Age of Awakening.

A Grief Howl. How Often Have You Felt That?

Seldom, I hope. For me, seldom. Thank God.

But ever since last night, what has been running through my head? The start of Allen Ginsburg’s poem “Howl.” His kaddish. How the poet grieved over members of his spiritual family and sought to find truth.

Ginsburg’s lament is almost unreadable, painful to hear. I’ve never managed to read read all the words, or listen to his recitation. Such florid writing and astral drama, to my ears at least. Yet part of his first line is enough to give you the flavor of “Howl.”

“I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked….”

In his case, the beatnik poet was grieving for his fellow hipsters. Why do I grieve?

My Grief Howl for Some of the Best Minds of this Generation

Brilliant Deepak Chopra. I’ll use him as an example.

Sitting in the audience when the TM superstar spoke — long before he became a New Age superstar — how I admired Deepak Chopra. He dazzled. Unquestionably he was (and is) the most brilliant speaker I have ever heard. Later, I read and loved so many of his books.

Really, who expressed New Age beliefs better than him?

Yet post-Age of Awakening aura reading research reveals that Deepak is no longer Deepak. Instead, this man’s consciousness has shifted. And not in the way I’d call “Enlightenment,” either.

Which name do I use for his state of consciousness? “Extreme spiritual addiction.” Read his aura with Stage Three Energetic Literacy and you’ll see the results. So not pretty.

Goodbye, Hay House

Back in the day, after reading “Heal Your Body,” I wrote a fan letter to Louise Hay. In recent years, I’ve read auras of many Hay House authors. Not only hers. Every blessed one of them is now living in extreme spiritual addiction.

Goodbye. It didn’t work, their well-meant experiment of living with beliefs like those expressed in yesterday’s blog post by BERT.

Hello. Analyzing in my next post of this series, I’ll share my thoughts about what works better.

Only, today, just for today, I’ll indulge in this grief howl. Because I liked and respected so many Hay House authors. Including one who was a personal friend. Beautiful people all!

Grief Howl, Even More Personally

What happened to JOE, the single best exponent of New Age I ever met? JOE who, more than any other spiritual teacher and energy healer, helped me so much.

Gone. Not looney in a deranged state, like Allen Ginsburg’s fellow beatniks. Ostensibly alive and well. Only no longer himself. Instead “JOE” lives as a group of astral beings. Keeping just enough human identity to help JOE to walk through the door.

And goodbye GLADYS, once a beloved teacher to me. Someone who learned that I had identified her extreme spiritual addiction. Not good, let’s put it that way.

Goodbye to so many people who used to matter so much to me. A former best friend. Another former best friend. People I trusted and loved and admired.

Farewell also to sweet-sounding beliefs that now produce such bitter consequences.

And One Last Grief Howl about Pop Culture

These celebrities weren’t my best buds. But I do enjoy TV and movies and recordings of music. My grief howl includes plenty of folks who weren’t New Agers; just famous people who have also fallen into extreme spiritual addiction.

I miss some of them a lot. Witty Steven Colbert, sunny Jimmy Fallon; little Emma Watson, whom I saw grow up in the Harry Potter movies. So many public figures. Superstars like Beyonce and Taylor Swift.

Thank God some of my faves are left, like President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama; James Taylor and Meryl Streep. Most of these people are really doing okay aurically; some are doing great. Celebrities included.

Yet I’ll send out my grief howl on behalf of so many folks I’ve cared about. I’d be mighty surprised if any of them come back.

A Tragedy, to Me.  And a Mystery

Why have different people moved into extreme spiritual addiction? Was it because, as BERT implied in his guest post, they were living in fear?

Probably not. For people I personally know who have gone there? Absolutely not. (IMO.)

What do I believe? What happened to each of these beautiful souls was personal, deeply personal. Furthermore, I’m sure that further investigation would be a big waste of time. Luckily I’ve got other jobs in life, plenty of good ones.

Moving Forward

Done. My big old grief howl is done. Time for breakfast.

I’ll publish it in case any of you Blog-Buddies find it helpful. Maybe also because I think one of the best protections we humans can have today is to NOT be perfect, invulnerable, constantly chipper, never making the frowny face. 🙁

As for you readers, feel free to comment below about your own grief howls. What are they about?

You’re safe, comment at this online community. Sometimes I goof; this winter somebody blasted me as “harsh.”  But mostly kindness prevails. Witness the first words made live today at this blog, courtesy of AMANDA. See her beautiful Comment #1.

Theo says:

Thank you for this, Rose.

I lost someone I cared about very much to one of these failed experiments, and as a consequence became cut off from a community I was deeply invested in.

Theo says:

This loss began a harrowing time of trial for me, during which I experienced intense and prolonged terrors.

This experience indicated to me that fear does not cause extreme spiritual addiction. Because if it did, I would be long gone by now. I feel like I completed a doctorate in fear over the last two years.

Theo says:

I still grieve for the losses caused by these experiments.

I feel like we lost so many of our best and brightest. It hurt me every time I saw a name struck off your enlightenment life list. I used to be so much further down the list.

Theo says:

I personally find extreme spiritual addiction truly revolting. I feel like having a negative reaction to the idea of ceding your personal sovereignty and autonomy is natural and normal.

Amanda says:

It takes courage and commitment to break your heart and learn. Much respect, Rose.

It also takes a lot of courage to disagree with those you love.

Dumbledore would give you ten points for that, along with Neville Longbottom :0)

Amanda says:

I have lost friends over matters of learning too. The hidden rake in the grass comes up and hits you and all of a sudden consensus is gone.

The learning is the main thing, not the people, but it can leave a big empty space.

Amanda

Julie says:

I am saddened by this too. For me I regret that the artists and musicians and creators in extreme spiritual addiction aren’t creating anything that expresses the individual’s uniqueness.

The heart, the soul, the person…isn’t coming through.

Christine says:

I was very sad too a while back when one of my favorite teachers [name withheld] aura was read to be in [extreme] spiritual addiction.

I used to read her blog daily. She has so many talents and I have to see this happen. Luckily I was discovered this blog around that time also so I switched over to reading this instead.

Christine says:

I was also sad to see when Jimmy Fallon fell off the enlightenment list.

But I am grateful that there are other people on late night to watch.

Note from Blog Monitor: Please, let’s avoid naming specific spiritual teachers in this context.

Also, the original comment omitted the “extreme” word. That’s important.

Loads of spiritual teachers are in spiritual addiction, maybe the majority. At least they’re still themselves, just out of balance.

Extreme spiritual addiction is a much more significant problem. All that said, CHRISTINE, thanks for every word you wrote here.

Thanks, CHRISTINE and THEO and AMANDA.

You have probably spoken for many. Why not pull our grief out of denial and have done with most of it?

David B says:

Beautiful, Rose. Thanks for sharing.

Here, there was a gradual falling away from New Age, New Thought, and some related movements. But for a long time, I had many friends still involved and tried to be supportive.

David B says:

But there where a few wake-up calls. Like your article on guided meditation and prayer being a form of hypnosis. And a few ugly ideas that showed up, like a botched translation of the Lords Prayer. Noticing the lack of discrimination more too.

In the end, moving to another city wound that down rather well.

DAVID B, thanks so much for these comments. “Supportive” is one of those things you just do and be.

In case any of you are curious about that article on hypnosis confused with meditation, it’s part of this article:

Either Hypnosis OR Meditation. Know the Difference.”

Julie says:

Losing a teacher to extreme spiritual addiction was for me a wake-up call to grow up more. To mature, become more my own authority.

With Rose’s help I got free of that dynamic, and I use her techniques to live The New Strong to the best of my ability

Julie says:

Some of the loss was the loss of the individual – the knowledge he carried that I hoped to take in. Ambitiously I wanted all of it.

Some of the loss was the loss that was represented – the loss of spiritual authority figures.

Julie says:

No longer a plethora of authorities to look up to, in New Age. And to study from in smorgasbord style.

A narrowing of what’s appropriate for me now. And that urge to “grow up”.

Sometimes making a choice between difficult and difficult.

EMILY T and you, JULIE… more gorgeous heaped upon gorgeous.

I do find it fascinating that nearly everyone who has commented on this post and the related, previous one, has crossed the threshold into Enlightenment.

Perhaps we have more clarity about what’s at stake when the old ideals are carried forward into this new and different Age of Awakening.

Kathleen says:

I feel rage and disgust at the people who have chosen to go down the path of extreme spiritual addiction.

Don’t they know what they’ve done?!? How dare they!

These people have left a mess for the rest of us to clean up.

Kathleen says:

I wasn’t close to anyone who is now in extreme spiritual addiction, and I haven’t lost a community from this.

But I am pissed off at what this nonsense has stirred up. I don’t like what it’s contribution is to Earth.

Kathleen says:

There. It felt good to let out a howl or two.

KATHLEEN, I think you have spoken for many. Howled for many.

I began a series of comments in response. Then, hello! I’m making it into a blog post.

Your honest and restrained expression of rage has touched me deeply. I’ll speak out, from the heart.

That post is live now, with comments, KATHLEEN and fans of KATHLEEN.

Find it here: Finding Purpose in The Age of Awakening

Other articles in this series are:

New Age Versus NOW Age, The Age of Awakening. Part One.

Gain Strength Post-New-Age. A Quiz.

pcheung says:

goodness, thank you so much for writing this blog, i found solace in it – as I’ve had to say goodbye to at least one reeaaally good friend for the same reason.

PCHEUNG, you’re so welcome.

It brings me a beautiful shade of happiness when this blog can speak to someone with a deep heart like yours.