Friending God

Friending God

Friending God can be as simple as clicking on LIKE at Facebook

Friending God? Sweet!  Except what if you’re not sure that your prayer skills are “perfect”?

Well, your relationship with God need not depend on prayer. Or [any other one thing].

(Fill in that blank with any religious obligation that occurs to you. What do you think might be a requirement for having It? The relationship of your dreams. Like the closeness you have wished for, a lively and productive and very personal relationship with God.)

Friending God. Both You And God Are Good At That.

Already that relationship might be better than you think.

But do you realize how easy it can be, friending God in a new and wonderful way?

• Historically you might have had a somewhat tortured, guilt-ridden relationship. Well, if you continue being stuck in that manner, consider. That’s on you. Go change it.
  • Okay, maybe a certain insecurity in your relationship with God was caused by your upbringing. Might I suggest? If you, as an adult, continue to relate to God just as you were taught as a child… only you can change that. Otherwise, pardon my saying again, that’s on you.
  • You might find some relief in a session of Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES) with the intention “To improve my relationship to God.” Many skill sets are available to an RES expert. Including (but not limited to) cutting your cord of attachment to God.

Receiving great love from God is available to you as easily as sending a FRIEND REQUEST on Facebook. Or finally clicking on ACCEPT.

Always, always, always, you can have instant success at friending God!

Also, Here’s a Consoling Thought

If, like me, you do go onto Facebook sometimes, you can appreciate this reassuring truth. Whatever the nature of your friending with God so far, even if sometimes you worry about the perfection of that relationship, guess what?

Friending God will never, ever turn out like one of those icky relationships on FB. You know, where a “friend” sends you strange leering messages that begin, “Hi. What are you doing?”

Haha.

Really, why wouldn’t the essence of goodness and love be well behaved?

Today’s post fits into an ongoing series on prayer, with links to our earlier articles provided at the end of this one.

Now let’s explore practical aspects of your relationship with God. Because it’s cruel to pressure yourself with the common notion, “If I’m not really sure how to pray, I feel a little weird. Because deep down I might have no true connection to God… in the way that other people do.”

Ouch! This Enlightenment Coach has encountered so many sad misunderstandings, including this one. Let’s inspire your spiritual awakening with a bunch of ideas for friending God. They’ll work, no matter what.

Friending God Idea #1. Choose the Intensity that Works for You Now

You really do have say-so. Insecurity isn’t God’s problem. Therefore, don’t worry about whether your side of the friendship will be acceptable.

Friending God, you are the one who chooses whether to get close or stay casual. On any given day. Or period in your life. Always, you’re the one to choose.

But what about that so-called prayer requirement? So many of us feel weird about that, like some guilty secret. Suppose that prayer means “Connecting directly with God in the most personal way.” Well, maybe you’re into that now. Maybe not.

Please know that prayer need not define your relationship.

You’ve got other options. Like talking to God occasionally. Engaging in public prayer through religion. Yelping, “Oh, God!” when upset. Or simply knowing that God is there when needed.

Friending God Idea #2. Don’t Ask Any One Friend to Meet All Your Needs

Not possible. No human friend can do that. Hello, neither can God.

Paradoxically or not, that’s one of the limitations of Almighty God.

Why, why, why? Because you are human, and living on earth.

Have you failed if friending God doesn’t solve all your problems, especially your human problems?

No, that would really not count as a failure in your relationship with God.

As noted in my how-to book about co-creating with God, you do not have to live as God’s begging child. You can become God’s grownup.

As a grownup, you can strive to solve your own human problems. And learn, in the process.

Friending God Idea #3. Discover Every Day What That Relationship DOES Give You

A true relationship is fresh, right? Constant but also ever-changing.

Yet what’s the most confusing thing about friending God? It might be all the expectations delivered by religion. Here I’m not just referring to the Sunday School classes you took (maybe) back in the day. Unrealistic expectations are rife in collective consciousness. For sure, you’ve been taking that class every day of your life. Ugh!

Pop culture expectations about God can be cartoonishly dramatic, unrealistic, outright lies, even exaggerations designed to manipulate people who care about God. Plus the usual suspects, ever-appealing cult-like ideologies. In my experience, personally and also from what I’ve learned so far as an Enlightenment Coach:

God is not a rapist.

God is not going to carry you off in some other intense, weird manner.

That’s wouldn’t be friendship, really, would it?

Granted, some people do have an intense spiritual calling. Yet even that need not involve drama. It’s personal, negotiated between that soul and that soul’s creator.

In real life today, in this Age of Awakening, people are not obligated to make human sacrifices. Not of small animals. Nor sacrificing large animals. Nor sacrificing humans. And also not making your own life into a sacrificial offering.

Although sacrifice and high drama have not been required since Old Testament days, many of us were taught outdated ideas that God requires big sacrifice. Not true.

Also not true? That friendship with God gives you — or anyone — the right to blame.

Friending God Idea #4. Avoid Blaming God for Human Problems

Suppose that you have a good friend, Joe. He’s a great friend, and he really loves you.

Is it Joe’s fault that Trump just became president?

What if you’re struggling with an addiction, or financial loss, or emotional turmoil? Does it make sense to blame Joe?

No problems that you or I have while living here at Earth School… are God’s fault.

God is the Creator. God is with you right now, and can be with you as strongly as you wish the friendhip to be.

However God’s job is not to play The Almighty Rescuer in some co-dependent fantasy. Including the (so-easy to sentimentalize) search for miracles.

Fortunately, God’s “miracles” include human helpers, including health professionals, mental health professionals, and experts in the emerging profession of RES.

Turn to humans to help you solve human problems. Demanding that God fast-track you to solutions… isn’t the purpose of prayer. Nor does this count as appropriate friending, right?

Friending God Idea #5. Have a Think. Then a Talk.

If you like, this could become your prayer project, just for today: Fine-tune your relationship with God.

Alternatively you could walk around anywhere and talk to God out loud. Just as if God were there in the air. Or sitting on your favorite armchair. (Just so long as you’re not currently sitting on that same chair, which would be way too confusing.)

1. Right from the moment when you say or think God’s name, you are connected. Trust that.
  2. So why not describe what you’d like? And maybe feel God’s non-human, energetic, right-sized response.
  3. You could go on to celebrate that relationship. Express gratitude. Or whatever else is on your mind.
  4. Afterwards, expect your human life to go on. Bolstered by a bit of glow, a softness, a sense of loving-kindness.
  5. Not that you will be given some obvious sign, like a lollipop. Or a miracle. And, supposedly, otherwise you’ve failed.

What is the proof of a successful prayer or spiritual exercise? Something subtle. Really, don’t expect that now God will give you a pony.

Friending God Idea #6. You and God Set the Terms of Your Relationship, Nobody Else

Forget what other people have said or bragged about their own relationships with God. Including their notions of spiritual awakening or Enlightenment. That personal relationship is nobody else’s business. It’s private.

Clearly, as an Enlightenment Coach, I believe that it’s possible for my clients to evolve spiritually. That’s why I’ll give clients help during a personal session. Specific help, based on the energy READING skills and the energy HEALING skills of RES. All of which involve co-creating with God. With a hearty helping of encouragement for my client’s self-authority.

Beware any spiritual teacher who doesn’t offer both:

During the years when I studied with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, and worked for him, my guru taught me a lot that was true. And his Transcendental Meditation did help me for the first couple of years. (Afterwards, maybe not so much.)

In retrospect, he sure did make fun of prayer for people who were not in Enlightenment yet. “It’s just mood-making,” he’d say.

Sadly, this is one of the ways that Maharishi turned on a dime, dipped into moral culpability, slipped from being an authentic spiritual teacher into becoming the leader of a cult.

Whatever your level of consciousness, or degree of perfection (however your ideals cause you to calculate that), whatever! You can always have a relationship with God.

• Lovely.
  • Meaningful.
  • Gently empowering.
  • Bringing stability.
  • Hope.
  • Refreshing the screen of your consciousness with sublime mystery.

Friending God Idea #7. Appropriate Expectations Would Sure Be a Plus

Because friends don’t control your mind. Like some kind of wierdly mutated, out-of control, GPS.

Your relationship with God right now… is what it is. You share it. That friending is for real.

And it will keep on growing. So, in a world with many problems, may worrying about your relationship with God be the least of your problems.

Friending God might already be the sweetest of your many blessings.

Related Blog Articles on Prayer

1. Receiving Prayer
  2. The WHO Prayer Question
  3. Prayer Secrets. Energetic Literacy Reveals WHAT?
  4. Prayer Encouragement

Isabella C. says:

Lovely and important series, thanks Rose.

Explorer says:

I so appreciate this series Rose.

My whole life, I always pushed away any sort of religion and that might have included God in many forms. I’ve believed the existence of something greater than me, but ran from it non the less.

Explorer says:

I respect all the religions and temples and sacred places they’ve, just have resistance towards any of it.

Explorer says:

I’m not trying to analyze that here (as I know better:) or asking for one, but only providing a brief background information to say how much these series have touched me.

It was so unexpected, and took me by big surprise.

Explorer says:

The light heart tone you use, gentle yet firm, truly give me courage to genuinely have a relationship with GOD now.

Probably for the first time in this lifetime.

Explorer says:

I prayed or called out GOD on occasions, but always as the child in need, or in genuine heart felt gratitude.

Sending it out there, hoping they will be heard.

Explorer says:

I fully realize now, as you suggested, a session to improve my relationship with GOD is what I might need. I’ve never even considered that I might have a Cord of Attachment to GOD or Jesus.

I’m looking forward to discovering that with you 🙂

Much love

Love all around, EXPLORER.

It is my privilege to help.

Jem says:

This is really interesting timing for me personally.

Reading The New Strong the first time, around the time of the US elections, I enjoyed a huge rush of healing and joy.

Jem says:

That first read-through and practicing of the activities in the book set off an ongoing process for me, where each day I am actively practicing my own soul expressing in human form. I am learning how to be physical and why I would want to.

Jem says:

The info is in my mind but has to permeate all of me, so I can be congruent about it.

Doing the RES skills has helped me to trust God because I get tangible results from the practices, and I have to say I am utterly delighted at the new conscious relationships I have with God, AA Michael, Mother Earth, and my own higher self/soul, as well as my physical life.

Jem says:

It is a process, for me, working through the layers that have prevented me from embodying my humanity.

It is what I am working on.

Jem says:

Yesterday, I was scrolling through Facebook and saw a title of an article that referred to God.

I noticed within myself a surly, adolescent, tempestuous force who was very resistant to God. And my own soul.

In the back of my mind, it rose up at the mention of God with its sassy opinions and anger. Didn’t like either of them one bit, wanted nothing to do with God or my soul, didn’t trust either of them.

Jem says:

I also sensed this part of me was sabotaging my human life from expanding.

I hadn’t done my 20 minutes yet, so I decided to go somewhere quiet, Get Big, then ask that part of myself to come forth into my consciousness so we could have a conversation.

Jem says:

I prayed a simple prayer to God to help me to communicate with this part of me without blocking it out, screening it out or twisting its message to hide it from myself. That prayer worked.

This part of me was all like, “Trust GOD? Are you KIDDING? Are you OUT OF YOUR MIND? No way, never.”

Jem says:

I was born into a toxic, abusive family of violent and chaotic addicts.

Whatever healing work I have done in my lofty upper regions of consciousness, this part of me hadn’t forgotten that.

Jem says:

This part of me was in great pain, all based on the common belief that

1) the soul chooses where it is born, into what conditions and

2)God also somehow chooses and designs and upholds that for you/everything is divinely designed.

Jem says:

Like the chemical cascade that happens inside us each time we eat wheat, those two beliefs had created a cascade of painful assumptions for me.

God wanted me to suffer alone, and my soul was a freakin idiot for choosing my family for me.

Neither of them have my back. Neither of them want me to be happy or successful.

Jem says:

I was the one who had lived the consequences of these life-design choices, and if that told me anything, it was that I was NOT going to let God or soul into my physical life, ever again.

They had let me fall deeply into illusion and agony. They were interested in hardcore growth, but not a happy life for me.

Jem says:

If that’s what they chose and designed the first time, they could both take a hike.

This internal part of me was happy to let me read and play around with spirituality but it was like a gatekeeper to my physical life, and as long as it was alive in me, God was never going to hit the earth and be able to transform me or my life.

Jem says:

In other words, my soul would not be allowed to express fully.

This was a primal, unconscious, shadow part of me.

It had not been touched or transformed by any platitudes I had ever read about karma, surrender, acceptance, God’s love for us, nothing.

It was forceful and it held a grudge against divinity.

Jem says:

Meanwhile I’d been living this monastic life since I was a teenager, totally devoted to finding God as far as I knew, and shoving this part of my consciousness out and down.

Jem says:

Next I said another simple, casual prayer to God to help me heal this and untangle it, to find the truth.

That prayer also worked.

Jem says:

I also received some illumination about human will recently.

A lot of us were trained from multiple sources to surrender our human will to God, and wait for God to fix our problems or lives that way. For God’s will to be done through us.

Jem says:

My inner divinity counseled me not to abdicate my human will to God in that particular way, because the divine will never take over in that way.

It just won’t.

Jem says:

It doesn’t want to take over and run our lives, it’s not how it works.

If the name of the game is embodying our personal divinity or soul through physical life, we need to develop the use of our will, power of choice, and take full responsibility for our lives.

Because the soul is powerful, not a feeble beggar.

Jem says:

Developing the correct use of my will helps me match the reality of my soul.

If God DID swoop in and fix everything or take over, we would never develop the muscle and the personal power.

Jem says:

I’d always been afraid of my will and had definitely been abdicating it, unwittingly, to astral forces, other people, God, whatever, through various phases of my life.

But in this age, it seems to be all about active, dynamic, dancing, joyous co-creation.

Jem says:

We step up as humans to meet God halfway, by developing the circuits necessary via the hard slog.

Human work.

Action.

Ownership.

So much better.

Jem says:

So yeah, I do think it’s imperative to review what we truly, deep down, believe about God and prayer, because if there’s a pocket of consciousness in me that is going to sabotage the answering of the prayers, it has to be addressed.

And it is also fascinating to me to see what the (sometimes devastating) effects of seemingly benign beliefs are, in my psyche.

Julie says:

So lovely to read this post. I can appreciate God as a gentle friend, and accept that much more easily than God as an authority figure, critical and grade-giving.

Or other elements from my upbringing.

Zofia says:

Hmm, I see a session intention here.

Yes, I have received opportunities that are unlikely. Though blessings I’ve received come more as an “opportunity” to “learn” which is not the big bag of easy times I really want them to be.

Zofia says:

So what may seem like good fortune can feel like more work and responsibility. I guess this is what “co-creating” feels like…

God hands you a ball, great, but then you’re then responsible for good things happening to that ball with your own free will and best intentions.

Zofia says:

So I kind of wish God will say I’ve done enough and just buy me a pony… but that’s doesn’t seem to be how it works.

Zofia says:

:-p (Yeah, a sense of humour is required, right God?)

ZOFIA, you’ve definitely got that great sense of humor!

As blog host, I do want to clarify that — related to your Comment #34, the kind of RES-style co-creating that I facilitate (and help teach others to do) is joyful, free, skilled, effective. Never any kind of a burden.

Of course, people have a right to mean whatever they like by “co-create.” And live it….

Lilian says:

Yeah, I m thinking there s some session intentions there.

Lilian/zofia says:

Sorry, that was still me. Mirroring some of Jem s comments, dealing with your own karma can be over whelming.

My intention in life is to be a better person, and I have a gratitude/exasperation relationship with the things I find on my path. We re human. I can know something is for the best on one level and grumble about and worry about it on another.

An Avid Reader says:

Dear Zofia,

I *loved* your comment in #35!

I sometimes wish God would just give me a pony, too!